Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:

Bicyclops posted:

I don't know. Maybe they make out, or she croons ELO in a sexy voice while he jerks off, or she watches while he has sex with a Zygon that's taking her shape, or any other number of cringeworthy scenarios. The way she's cemented in, it doesn't seem realistic that she could blow him, even if he is holding the slab and even if he has a pretty tiny wiener, and, furthermore, the way she says "Oh, let's not get into all that" seems to imply that it is more complicated and weird than a blowjob.

I have the solution.

Ball gargling. She gargles the balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

Khanstant posted:

Is that news in general not just bad news in general for programming? For such a tiny island there's a disproportionate amount of media I enjoy from them. It also seemed expressly good to have a media outfit with an imposed mission to serve various demographics of the people instead of just whoever is most profitably targeted. Doctor Who is a big enough Thing I'm sure it'll be fine either way, but geez, kind of seems like a dark herald for the end of an era, no? There's shockingly little "public" anythings in the world left, and seems like a lot of the quality and atmosphere of BBC shows stemmed directly from not being beholden to the same oppressive homogenizing forces capitalism has on nearly all other media. UK cutting off its face to spite its own nose far too often past many years.

The BBC could, and frequently did, take risks with its programming. Case in point is Doctor Who, but the same is true of many other shows they produce, such as Jonathan Creek and Inside No. 9. Their more consistent income stream means it benefits them to take risks and produce weirder programming, as they're uniquely positioned to absorb any failures. Without the license fee, they'll be any old television station. They'll be able to produce more Who, but expect a stale attenpt at franchise expansion akin to Star Wars or Star Trek, probably following the Big Finish model of spin-offs focusing on establushed characters. It could get very fan wanky, very quickly. Might all go great, however, it's hard to say at this point, but abolishing the license fee will certainly hurt the BBC's creativity.

Updog Scully fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jan 18, 2022

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

Maybe I'm just clueless or naive, but does anyone know why Who fans are so goddamn angry all the time? Just saw a fan compare Chibnall's run to domestic abuse!? Why does this happen? Seriously chill out, it's just a television show. No need for the vitriol and even threatening language.

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

The trailer for that release is phenomenal. Nicola still looks great, even if that accent still doesn't sit right.

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

Probably better they don't have the Doctor date their companion, but if they were to do it, preferably they'd be dating a Gallifreyan rather than a human. The Prime Computer adverts show what it would probably look like, so you can make your judgements based off that. Maybe not Romana specifically, considering the... bad history there. If they introduced another Time Lord and the Doctor crushed on them, I'd be down for it, but an actual Tardis romance would quickly get exhausting.

Also, if Tennant comes back he'll be in his mid 50's during his second run. It wouldn't be the same. Nostalgics would be grimly reminded of the passage of time, and the creeping spectre of their oncoming graves. Probably best they avoid bringing him back, unless it's a cameo appearance. We are soon approaching the time that New Who Doctors end up like the classic Doctors, too old to reprise their roles.

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

:classiclol:

Also, has anyone read any of the Black Archive books? They are properly daunting, I'd love to dig into one but there's so many and they are so long. I can't imagine another TV show getting a thesis on each episode.

Also, those covers are so sexy. Who is the graphic designer?

Updog Scully fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 7, 2022

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

Doctor Whordle 4 5/6

🟧⬜️🟧⬜️⬜️ ROGER
🟦🟦🟦⬜️⬜️ GRADE
🟦🟦🟦⬜️⬜️ GRAMP
🟧⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️ FULLY
🟦🟦🟦🟦🟦 GRAFF

No idea what a Graff is. I'm a fake fan that way.

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

Also, as much as I love Murray Gold, I'm hoping they bring Anna Meredith in to compose. She would be a perfect fit for the show.

Updog Scully fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 10, 2022

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

I would love if the Doctor fixed his chameleon circuit but he didn't know how to operate it, so it transformed into vaguely tardis-shaped objects. A wheelie bin, a fridge, etc. Could be fun.

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

https://twitter.com/HackedOffHugh/status/1506042737962934282?t=IwzpIEa--FB95r2KcqTZ3w&s=19

No surprises here, just tabloids being tabloids. Would have been interesting to see him do it in his 60s, though. Ah well.

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

Party Boat posted:

A David Suchet Doctor

"Who frowned me this face? Ah... it was that odd fellow with a wooden mum"

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

I'm going to guess that's the pirate Ching Shih, which is an excellent choice of historical character for Who.

EDIT: IMDb confirms it lol

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

CommonShore posted:

DO A MULTIDOC SPECIAL WHERE THE ACTORS AND ROLES ARE SCRAMBLED

I'd love to see Colin Baker come back, but not as the Curator... as Maxil, who is now a grumpy old man who has a grudge against the Doctor for stealing his likeness.

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

He has such Larry David vibes in that photo.

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This isn't true though, is it. Most showrunners write around contradictions and left-turns or, if they include them, it's accidental. Chibs himself is downplaying his own mistakes now, knowing there's not a chance in hell RTD will acknowledge them.

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

Perfect fit for RTD. Very exciting!

Also, if he's 29 now, he was, what, 12 when the reboot started? He arguably grew up with the show, and is now working with the first season's showrunner. Mental.

Updog Scully fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 8, 2022

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

Just like Eccleston and Tennant before him, Gatwa's performed Shakespeare before taking the role.

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

Sooo passionate, so energetic... and gently caress the Tories! :allears:

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

https://twitter.com/4SylvesterMcCoy/status/1523719205509492737?t=NEV67qNhRVHZAJH-5Z-MCg&s=19

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

Going to be such a disappointment to watch Chibnall utterly squander the return of Ace. I want her to be a badass mercenary hunting aliens, targeting the Doctor for being an impostor because she only ever knew McCoy's Doctor. Instead, we're just going to be getting some blah.

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

I much prefer the explanation that "they're a bit mad and will just call themselves Doctor Who sometimes because they're a bit odd", which I think really fits the character. Doesn't need an explanation really, it's just the name of the show

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

What an awesome episode - probably my favourite Chibnall episode ever. The Master taking over the Doctor's body and enlisting the Daleks and Cybermen TO BLOW UP ALL THE VOLCANOES :allears:

Had a couple of problems, mainly that Chibnall emphasised the Doctor's apathy to her companion's concerns and solved this by... organising a therapy group for discarded companions?

The music during the Master scenes just made me think of the Weakest Link. Pictured him saying, "Ace, or should I say Dorothy... You are the weakest link. Goodbye."

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

For anyone who missed it, the first official footage of Ncuti was uploaded to the Doctor Who Instagram and YouTube.

Updog Scully fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Oct 24, 2022

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

Astroman posted:

It was a clever way to bring back the Fiveish Doctors

I think this is why I liked this episode so much. Felt like an official Five-ish Doctors sequel, especially with the lovably corny Classic-era acting and dialogue. The Master's plan felt like the kind of thing they would make for an in-universe Five-ish Doctors.

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

I love the animation emphasising the negative space arrows.
Also I notice the description using the 🔷 emoji which I imagine will be the new norm.

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

Niche issue affecting Republic of Ireland viewers:
The show is coming to Disney+ everywhere the service is offered... except the UK and Ireland, as the BBC will of course be showing it there. However, BBC iPlayer is unavailable in the Republic of Ireland. This means that the new episodes will be available legally on VOD everywhere except the Republic of Ireland, where you will have to see it live.

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

The perfect balance was achieved in Series 1 and 4, with RTD showrunning and Moffat writing a two-parter. More of that please.

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

Remember when the Doctor was going to be played by Johnny Depp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

Remember when Chibnall created an actually good woman Doctor, but then she was non-canon pre-hartnell timeless child bullshit

I actually think the good thing about the Chibnall era is that he is 'penned in' now into a couple of easily skipped seasons. Unless RTD invites him back :shepicide: