Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Rochallor posted:

Even if Disney doesn't officially have a hand in writing the show, them holding the purse strings means that they have an implicit voice in any creative decisions. A Black companion? Well, isn't the Doctor already Black, how about some diversity? Hmm, I don't know if people are going to tune in with this many trans characters running around...

People who say this sort of thing in America already hate Disney and are usually their critics, for what it's worth. Disney's latest political fracas upsetting bigots comes because it's adult fans and employees are overwhelmingly anti-bigot or minorities themselves. The criticism Disney typically gets from secularists in America (not going to say 'the left' because that's a trap) is that it wants China's money badly enough to hedge prideful diversity into places that can easy be edited out of CN distribution. That need for every picture to fly in Beijing also means anything that goes against Xi's cultural agenda can't ever actually be the focus of a picture, just a footnote that can be removed with a fast cut. That said, this doesn't apply to TV so much, what with Disney promoting Love, Victor and moving it in under their branding once they realized the fans were louder than the bigots.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Open Source Idiom posted:

Notably after pushing it off to Hulu in the first place. For... reasons.

Thing is, they've done that sort of thing forever. Worries about backwater churches and "our values" is why Nightmare Before Christmas was released as a Touchstone film, but now it's all over the parks every year. To steal an idea from Dril, they basically turn a big knob labelled 'tolerance' up an down while looking to the audience for approval like a contestant on The Price is Right.

I think that’s what I get out of it, it would be neat to see a Who theme park experience. It would work far better for Epcot’s UK pavilion than the Mary Poppins thing that was silently cancelled.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 28, 2022

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
With the immature crap that RTD gave us the first time around, I'm not sure a filter isn't a bad thing.

I take the good with the bad with Who (my favorite is Capaldi and boy some of the moral messages in his run were awful!) but one look at RTD's campy mess of concrete blowjobs and farting aliens and I'm not going to say "oh no, Disney is going to ruin it."