Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Khanstant posted:

haven't seen that before and got a genuinely laugh out of me
Me too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Why are we saying The Doctor's relationship with their wife was platonic, now?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, I'm not a particular fan of the idea of there being alternate timeline versions of the Doctor (they're a Time Lord, you'd kind of think timelines have to adapt to fit around them rather than the other way around) but Colin Baker as the War Doctor is a really, really intriguing idea. I love that one of the stories involves him being put on trial :allears:

Long story short: Rose was desperately in love with 10 and he kept making it clear that this wasn't something he could reciprocate. Then he used his severed arm from The Christmas Invasion to avoid regenerating after being shot by a Dalek, which accidentally created another version of himself who had his mind/memories/intelligence etc but also happened to be entirely human, and the story ends with him making out with Rose and the two of them going to live in the alternate Cybus Universe.

The fact that RTD would later write a story where Donna basically gets the brainpower of a Time Lord in a human body and is informed that it is too much for a human body to take and she'll burn out if her mind isn't severely locked down suggests a rather horrifying ultimate end result for Doctor Twho over in the Cybus Universe, which I don't think RTD even remotely intended or ever considered.
I can't believe I never thought of this.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I would love that so much.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Was there news that Murray Gold was coming back that I missed?

Because I would be over the moon.

I just want 13's theme to play when she does something clever, you big jerks. :mad:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Well, I hope they're right, then.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Might be more that he posted about it than he did it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

:allears:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

With the exception of Yaz and The Doctor's conversation, I don't remember a single thing that happened in that entire episode.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

jisforjosh posted:

Goon faceblindness continues
Prosopagnosia is a real thing that millions upon millions of people have.

Seriously. It's one in 50 people. It's not some rare weird thing or restricted to TVIV.

I didn't even know I had it until I was like 36.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It felt like Craig Ferguson had that job just forever and feels like Corden only just started, but Corden will have hosted the show for eight years when he exits and Ferguson only hosted for nine.

I don't like how time works.

And I miss Craig Ferguson and Jeff Petersen.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

OldMemes posted:

The War Doctor theme is such a great version of the theme.
Is this a Big Finish thing? I don't recall him having much of a leitmotif in Day.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Quite good. Thank you.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

DoctorWhat posted:

widely-forgotten excellent left wing episode is Gridlock.
This made my eyes pop because gridlock has a way different meaning on trans Twitter.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

Explain! EX-PLAIN!! I’m on gay twitter and I’ve never heard this.
Well...

TinTower posted:

It's what phones autocorrect "girldick" to.
This, and now it's become an established thing, so people tweet poo poo like man, this traffic is just girldicked. Sorry. I meant girldicked. Sorry. Girldicked," etc.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Barry Foster posted:

Looks like Murray Gooooold is back in the musical driving seat
I'm now raising my hopes past cautiously optimistic to "I will definitely enjoy one thing per episode just a whole bunch."

Unless Davies and Gold suddenly decide The Doctor doesn't need to do something clever to solve a problem whilst their theme music plays anymore like Chibnall did. :mad:

13's theme was so good, too. It would've been perfect. Plus making that moment a priority every episode would've solved that whole "The Doctor is incidental to this plot" problem they kept having.

Rhyno posted:

I recently began a path towards becoming the best version of myself I possibly could as a part of healing from my fractured life. One of my friends likened the changes I'm making to Regeneration and I've taken that ball and ran with it.
When I transitioned, I started lamenting, loudly and often, that cis people don't get the same opportunity to start over and become a whole new person and frankly, I think everybody should get to do this and you shouldn't need to get divorced or whatever to do it. Good on you, Rhyno.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

The saddest thing about the regeneration will be losing Jodie's incredible boots :sigh:
First pair of women's footwear I ever bought.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The one time Doctor Who subverts the "I don't like it" gag and it was for that godawful mess. :psyduck:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

I wonder if she'll be back for the 60th, given it's so soon after her finishing up. I just want her to get a chance to act in a non-Chibnall run story!
I'm trying as hard as I can to hope this into existence.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Confusedslight posted:

Wish there will come a time where you could buy these things digitally. I'm going to have to buy a bluray player just for the doctor who classic collection sets.
Considering the state of digital purchases these days, I'd say this is something we should all be doing.

Even content you've paid money for beyond your monthly subscriptions aren't safe. Services are removing those too, and not giving refunds for them or anything.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Dr. who hates Pagans.

"Your religious site is actually just where all the villains put a big trap for The Doctor and your goddess is an egg."

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

Dalek 1: DALEKS DO NOT FALL IN LOVE!
Dalek 2: ......WOW.
Dalek 1: ....CAN WE NOT DO THIS RIGHT NO-
Dalek 2: IT'S FINE! IT'S FINE! DO WHATEVER YOU WANT.
Dalek 1: CAN YOU WAIT TILL WE'RE NOT IN FRONT OF INFERIOR CREATURES?
Dalek 2: THEY ARE ALL INFERIOR CREATURES!
gently caress you for making me laugh that hard at something that profoundly silly.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

My hopes are for more than they're gonna' give us, so I'm trying as hard as I can to lower them.

I quite loved all of Moffat's run and couldn't understand so many folks' problems with it, but I guess I've finally lived through my first disappointing Doctor and Showrunner.

Shame that it was Jodie's tenure given I came out and decided to transition in part because of 12 transitioning to 13. None of this was her fault and it would've been so much worse without her.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

If you watched only Chibnall's first and last episodes of this run, you could easily be fooled into thinking he knew what he was doing.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I've yet to see a regeneration I didn't love.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Gaz-L posted:

You can pretty easily handwave that it is a new incarnation, but because of the physical similarity to Ten, they act fairly similar. Or even make it a plot point that the Doctor wants to be Ten, but it's not quite clicking, which leads into the regen into Ncuti, where he's able to be comfortable being someone new again.
Three separate regenerations all being David Tennant feels a little "if your Doctor isn't David Tennant, then your opinion is lesser than everybody else's" to me, so I really hope he's hiding the true nature of things by calling this Tennant the 14th.

Plus he's actually the 16th if we're going by regenerations, so why does this regen into Tennant count when the last one didn't, to say nothing of War Doc.

OldMemes posted:

Yeah, I think the "I don't want to go" line was a bad final line for Ten, and I think it didn't help a lot of the casual fans with the transition to Smith. He should have followed that with another line instead.
If they wanted me to like 11 from the start, ending that way was not the way to do it. He's since become my Doctor, and it didn't take more than half of that first series for him to become so, but what a horrible way to pass the baton. It works great for 10, but really shortchanges 11.

Astroman posted:

Would The Timeless Child plot make more or less sense
What Timeliness Child plot? It never even finished! We never learned where the hell it was going! For another showrunner to ignore it is one thing, but when you set something like that up for later, you gotta' do loving something with it before you go.

Even Moffat would tell you that you were foolish to care about the things he told you to care about before rug-pulling you. To do nothing and to instead introduce every classic Doctor and Companion you can rear end-pull into your finale is just sad, as great as it was to watch.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

How?! How could they have learned nothing from America privatizing loving everything?!

Oh, right. They did learn from that. "They" are just fascists.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Mameluke posted:

I bet Mark Gatiss sends an email to Chibnall/RTD once a month along the lines of "Wow, David Bradley sure worked out great! Remember how I dressed as Three for An Adventure In Space And Time?"
Sean Pertwee or nobody. :colbert:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The Doctor being an orphan abused by the aristocracy and the Time Lords turning out to be nothing more than thieves and liars propped up by the abuse of another race are loving incredible ideas that should have been done by a better showrunner.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

"What if Disney makes queer characters be straight," asks somebody who's seemingly forgotten that the show just queerbaited us for years, then didn't even let the two characters hug when one of them was about to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

SecretOfSteel posted:

They'll fit guns to the outside of the Tardis - "I used to hate guns, but its the only way to protect spacetime freedom"
America already made a Doctor Who and it was about two teenagers in a phone booth telling everybody they should be excellent to each other.

And aside from calling each other the F-slur once, it was glorious.