Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

As always, shameless self-advertising (Click here to bypass this post entirely if you want!): An index of the write-ups I've done for all the Revival Episodes so far, as well as the (distressingly large number) of Big Finish Audios I've listened to so far.

Be warned that most of the television write-ups feature a number of spoilers for future episodes as well, as they were all written months or years after I saw them on original airing. Audio write-ups may also feature references to episodes of the show, both classic and revival.

Television
8th Doctor - TV Movie: The Enemy Within | The Night of the Doctor
War Doctor - The Day of the Doctor
9th Doctor - Rose | The End of the World | The Unquiet Dead | Aliens of London/World War 3 | Dalek | The Long Game | Father's Day | The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances | Boom Town | Bad Wolf | The Parting of the Ways
10th Doctor - The Christmas Invasion | New Earth | Tooth and Claw | School Reunion | The Girl in the Fireplace | Rise of the Cybermen/The Age of Steel | The Idiot's Lantern | The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit | Love and Monsters | Fear Her | Army of Ghosts | Doomsday | The Runaway Bride | Smith & Jones | The Shakespeare Code | Gridlock | Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks | The Lazarus Experiment | 42 | Human Nature/The Family of Blood | Blink | Utopia | The Sound of Drums | The Last of the Time Lords | Time Crash | Voyage of the Damned | Partners in Crime | The Fires of Pompeii | Planet of the Ood | The Sontaran Stratagem/The Poison Sky | The Doctor's Daughter | The Unicorn and the Wasp | Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead | Midnight | Turn Left | The Stolen Earth/Journey's End | The Next Doctor | Planet of the Dead | Waters of Mars | The End of Time
11th Doctor - The Eleventh Hour | The Beast Below | Victory of the Daleks | Time of Angels/Flesh & Stone | The Vampires of Venice | Amy's Choice | The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood | Vincent and the Doctor | The Lodger | The Pandorica Opens | The Big Bang | A Christmas Carol | The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon | The Curse of the Black Spot | The Doctor's Wife | The Rebel Flesh/The Almost People | A Good Man Goes To War | Let's Kill Hitler | Night Terrors | The Girl Who Waited | The God Complex | Closing Time | The Wedding of River Song | The Doctor, The Widow & The Wardrobe | Asylum of the Daleks | Dinosaurs on a Spaceship | A Town Called Mercy | The Power of Three | The Angels Take Manhattan | The Snowmen | The Bells of Saint John | The Rings of Akhaten | Cold War | Hide | Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS | The Crimson Horror | Nightmare in Silver | The Name of the Doctor | The Day of the Doctor | The Time of the Doctor
12th Doctor - Deep Breath | Into the Dalek | Robot of Sherwood | Listen | Time Heist | The Caretaker | Kill the Moon | Mummy on the Orient Express | Flatline | In the Forest of the Night | Dark Water | Death in Heaven | Last Christmas | The Magician's Apprentice | The Witch's Familiar | Under the Lake/Before the Flood | The Girl Who Died | The Woman Who Lived | The Zygon Invasion | The Zygon Inversion | Sleep No More | Face the Raven | Heaven Sent | Hell Bent | The Husbands of River Song |The Return of Doctor Mysterio | The Pilot | Smile | Thin Ice | Knock Knock | Oxygen | Extremis | The Pyramid at the End of the World | The Lie of the Land | Empress of Mars | The Eaters of Light | World Enough and Time | The Doctor Falls | Twice Upon A Time
13th Doctor - The Woman Who Fell to Earth | The Ghost Monument | Rosa | Arachnids in the UK | The Tsuranga Conundrum | Demons of the Punjab | Kerblam! | The Witchfinders | It Takes You Away | The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos | Resolution | Spyfall Part 1/Part 2 | Orphan 55 | Nikola Tesla's Night of Terror | Fugitive of the Judoon | Praxeus | Can You Hear Me? | The Haunting of Villa Diodati | Ascension of the Cybermen | The Timeless Children

Television Gifs
William Hartnell | Patrick Troughton | Jon Pertwee | Tom Baker | Peter Davison | Colin Baker | Sylvester McCoy | Paul McGann | Christopher Eccleston | David Tennant | Matt Smith | Peter Capaldi | Jodie Whittaker

Audios
4th Doctor Adventures - Season One
5th Doctor - Phantasmagoria | The Land of the Dead | Red Dawn | Winter for the Adept | The Mutant Phase | Loup-Garoux/The Eye of the Scorpion | Primeval | The Church and the Crown | Nekromanteia | Creatures of Beauty | Omega | The Axis of Insanity | The Roof of the World | The Game | Three's a Crowd | The Council of Nicaea | Singularity | The Kingmaker | The Gathering/The Veiled Leopard | Circular Time | Renaissance of the Daleks | Exotron | Son of the Dragon | The Mind's Eye | The Bride of Peladon | The Haunting of Thomas Brewster | The Boy That Time Forgot | Time Reef | The Judgement of Isskar | The Destroyer of Delights | The Chaos Pool | Castle of Fear | The Eternal Summer | Plague of the Daleks
6th Doctor - Whispers of Terror | The Marian Conspiracy | The Spectre of Lanyon Moor | The Apocalypse Element | The Holy Terror | Bloodtide | Project: Twilight | The One Doctor | ...ish | The Sandman | Jubilee | Doctor Who and the Pirates | Project: Lazarus | Davros | The Wormery | Arrangements for War | Medicinal Purposes | The Juggernauts | Catch-1782 | Thicker Than Water | Pier Pressure | The Nowhere Place | The Reaping | Year of the Pig | I.D | The Wishing Beast | 100 | The Condemned | Assassin in the Limelight | The Doomwood Curse | Brotherhood of the Daleks | Return of the Krotons | The Raincloud Man | Patient Zero | Paper Cuts | Blue Forgotten Planet
7th Doctor - The Fearmonger | The Genocide Machine | The Fires of Vulcan | The Shadow of the Scourge | Dust Breeding | Colditz | The Rapture | Bang-Bang-a-Boom! | The Dark Flame | Project: Lazarus | Flip-Flop | Master | The Harvest | Dreamtime | Unregenerate! | Live 34 | Night Thoughts | The Settling | Red | No Man's Land | Nocturne | Valhalla | Frozen Time | The Dark Husband | The Death Collectors | Kingdom of Silver | Forty-Five | The Magic Mousetrap | Enemy of the Daleks | The Angel of Scutari | A Thousand Tiny Wings | Survival of the Fittest | The Architects of History
8th Doctor - Storm Warning | Sword of Orion | The Stones of Venice | Minuet in Hell | Invaders from Mars | The Chimes of Midnight | Seasons of Fear | Embrace the Darkness | The Time of the Daleks | Neverland | Zagreus | Scherzo/The Creed of Kromon | The Natural History of Fear | The Twilight Kingdom Faithstealer/The Last/Caerdroia/The Next Life | Terror Firma | Scaredy Cat | Other Lives | Time Works | Something Inside | Memory Lane | Absolution | The Girl Who Never Was | The Company of Friends
8th Doctor Adventures Blood of the Daleks | The Horror of Glam Rock | Immortal Beloved | Phobos | No More Lies | Human Resources | Dead London | Max Warp | Brave New Town | The Skull of Sobek | Grand Theft Cosmos | The Zygon Who Fell to Earth | Sisters of the Flame | The Vengeance of Morbius | Orbis | The Hothouse | The Beast of Orlok | Wirrn Dawn | The Scapegoat | The Cannibalists | The Eight Truths | Worldwide Web | Death in Blackpool | (Bonus) An Earthly Child | Situation Vacant | Nevermore | The Book of Kells | Deimos/The Resurrection of Mars | Relative Dimensions | Prisoner of the Sun | Lucie Miller/To The Death | Dark Eyes 1
The War Doctor - Only the Monstrous | Infernal Devices | Agents of Chaos | Casualties of War
10th Doctor Adventures - Volume 1 | Volume 2
Big Finish Specials - The Sirens of Time | The Light at the End | UNIT: Dominion | UNIT: Extinction | UNIT: Shutdown | UNIT: Silenced | UNIT: Assembled | UNIT: Encounters | The Diary of River Song Volume 1 | The Diary of River Song Volume 2 | Classic Doctors, New Monsters: Volume 1 | Classic Doctors, New Monsters: Volume 2 | The War Master Volume One

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Also I think it bears repeating, from the end of the last thread:

WHAT!?!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

TinTower posted:

Hey, you've redecorated! :D

I don't like it. :mad:

We never needed Patrick Troughton more than the last special where the Doctor opens up the TARDIS to show the rebuilt console room and it's still the empty dark mess it's been the last 2 seasons :negative:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ideal 60th Anniversary:

The BBC hold a press conference and say,"Sorry about how sporadic the number of episodes per year has been since series 6, but we can finally reveal that it was because we have already shot 100+ episodes of The 8th Doctor Adventures starring Paul McGann and we'll be airing a run of 6 episodes every time more than 3 months without a new modern series of Doctor Who airs from now until time itself runs down and the universe reaches its heat death."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Khanstant posted:

2) scene where three Doctors stacked in a trenchcoat successfully scare off of the Master by puffing and appearing much larger and dangerous than normal

Pfft, they already did that in 1971!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

:hmmyes:

Kayvan Novak does it again!

That was Kayvan Novak!?! :aaa:

God, is there anything he CAN'T do!?! ....well, apart from make Guillermo a vampire I guess.....

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Hartnell stuff is genuinely great, there's a reason he set the bedrock for a series that has been running for almost 60 years now, even if Troughton is credited by so many fans/actors as the inspiration for working on the show. Which, well, it's justifiable too, since the show could have very easily ended with Hartnell going and instead Troughton showed it could continue on with a new actor in the role. Wonderful chaps (and chapettes), all of them.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It's REALLY terrible though!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The John Bishop stuff is hilarious but nothing made me belly-laugh quite as much as seeing 11 in that calendar next to Buffy :lol:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

They tried but when they got to the "Any objections?" portion Tegan just wouldn't stop laughing while pointing directly in the Doctor's face.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

And doing the Charleston :v:

1st Doctor: Barbara will not be pleased :mad:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Maybe they thought the incredibly passionate, energetic and excitable narration would mask the pointless busywork!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh wow, odd that she'd announce she's staying on the show with RTD so early and choose to do it there, but yay!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

If it is a success, the Tories will say this proves the value of public/private partnerships and sell the BBC to Rupert Murdoch. If it is a failure, they will say this proves the BBC's inability to run and sell it to Rupert Murdoch.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I didn't want to say anything but I keep reading it as "Gay Pear Specials" :sweatdrop:

Every time here as well :laugh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, just a really enjoyable episode with a fun gimmick, well worth watching and has me with high hopes for the next special.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

If we had to suffer through the bullshit of a Trump Presidency I'm still mad we never got this in reality to at least kinda make up for it:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

Corbyn cheerfully handing a big jar of something called "carrot jam" to Six, who walks away frowning and whispering "Doesn't he look anti-semitic?" to one of his aides.

loving hell :xd:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Updog Scully posted:

Just saw a fan compare Chibnall's run to domestic abuse!?

:stare:

Yeah.... that's crazy-town talk, Jesus Christ. I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they're being tongue-in-cheek or knowingly hyperbolic but I suspect that me thinking that is more a defense mechanism so I don't have to accept that anybody would be that insane.

I mean, I grew up with Doctor Who, it's been a giant part of my life, my all time favorite show, and I've been very let down by Chris Chibnall's run but... it's just a loving television show, you know!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That trailer ruled, Peri's reaction after being told what the people say about her was :3:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, The War Games is a masterpiece, just an absolutely incredible high note for Troughton to go out on.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

A prestige drama series about Tegan Jovanka telling aliens and monsters to gently caress off :hellyeah:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Khanstant posted:

"We are the Doctors Who" is a good gang-introduction when you're rolling with a squad 13-15 doctors deep.

Okay you talked me into posting this video again, I held out as long as I possibly could:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H92RbydVwuc

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

One of my favorite bits in the first season of the Revival is when the Doctor brings Rose back home after a year instead of a day so they have to bullshit a story about traveling around Europe together, and a cop gets called (because she's a reported missing person), listens to the story and just immediately asks,"So is this a sexual relationship?" because it's absolutely what somebody would think about a older (way older than they think!) man suddenly taking a 19-year-old girl on a year-long trip around Europe.

It was great that they broached the subject and made it clear it wasn't. Then of course the Tennant years happened and things got a lot weirder and unsettling culminating in the dildo Doctor, oof.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Updog Scully posted:

Probably better they don't have the Doctor date their companion

The rare thing that all Doctor Who fans wouldshould agree on. :hai:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Doctor starting to write his way out of his problem in The Mind Robber, then realizing that doing so would be making himself part of the fiction and thus trapping him forever was :discourse:

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Watched the classic Hartnell story The Romans the other day and that was so good. You could tell everybody was just having a great time doing that story, especially Hartnell.

Hartnell laughing his rear end off as he beats the poo poo out of a would-be assassin was amazing :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

From memory, Peter Capaldi was only a year younger in his first season than Hartnell was in his. Being in your 50s in the 1960s is quite different to being that age today!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

LionArcher posted:

So like, big new who fan. Matt smith is my fav. Liked season 11 well enough. Jodis cool. 12 fell apart with timeless child, but master was fun.

I just watched flux and the special.

Wtf.

Seriously, wtf was all of that.

(New Years special was fine).

I've been a fan of Who my entire life and you basically just speed-ran my experience of the show :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

I stopped watching with the not-Amazon episode and basically cut myself off until Chibnall left.

The good news is that you have It Takes You Away to look forward to, which is a genuinely fantastic episode.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh yeah, there are good episodes for sure. It Takes You Away though I think is the pick of the litter, it's not just a great episode for the Chibnall run, it's a great episode purely in its own right and would stand up in any other era of the show.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

A few issues aside I thought Part 1 was excellent, especially the cliffhanger. Part 2 kind of fell apart I thought, but I adore the "Wait a minute, you're supposed to be a good runner...." moment in part 1.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I think Kerblam! may be the story that.... well I don't know if I can say the worst. The most annoying? The most baffling? It was an episode I was really enjoying and thought was zipping along at a great pace and was a lot of fun and then.... the AI murders a completely innocent woman and the Doctor acts as if this proves it has real humanity and is a good person, then the terrorist achieves all their goals after suicide bombing himself and the Doctor explains that giant corporations are our friends? :psyduck:

Maybe the episode with the most potential that it didn't just squander but actively ruined with how it wrapped up?

Edit: I mean, the fact that Oxygen was made only one season before Kerblam! makes it all the more insane. God, Oxygen was a loving awesome episode.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I was always puzzled when people would be like "oh boy we get new Doctor Who soon! :dance:"

Because I'm old enough to remember the miserable 16 years where, apart from the television movie, there was no new Doctor Who and it was assumed there probably never would be again, and that is a hell I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

Sometimes at night I still wake up screaming....

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

No way, the revival has produced absolutely incredible content since 2005. It has hit some astonishing lows too, and the current utterly mediocre run (with terrible fanfiction thrown in) has been a letdown, but I wouldn't ever want to go back to the misery of the only possible way to get more Who being reading somebody working out their puberty fantasies about Ace, especially when there has been such fantastic stuff produced for television and the promise of more to come once Chibnall is out the door.

Imagining a world where we never got Eccleston, Tennant, Smith, Capaldi or even poor misused Whittaker to play the Doctor (let alone John Hurt!) is just a miserable thought. Especially since it actively went out of its way not to ignore Big Finish or prevent more audios with the classic Doctors from being made.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

If there's one thing we can all agree on (there isn't, we're Doctor Who fans), it's that the 50th Anniversary was a spectacular success and an incredible time to be watching Doctor Who, and everybody agrees (except for the ones who don't). :hellyeah:

"You know I rather think you might!" :aaa:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, I'm not a particular fan of the idea of there being alternate timeline versions of the Doctor (they're a Time Lord, you'd kind of think timelines have to adapt to fit around them rather than the other way around) but Colin Baker as the War Doctor is a really, really intriguing idea. I love that one of the stories involves him being put on trial :allears:

raditts posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by this, but I'm certainly not going to google it.

Long story short: Rose was desperately in love with 10 and he kept making it clear that this wasn't something he could reciprocate. Then he used his severed arm from The Christmas Invasion to avoid regenerating after being shot by a Dalek, which accidentally created another version of himself who had his mind/memories/intelligence etc but also happened to be entirely human, and the story ends with him making out with Rose and the two of them going to live in the alternate Cybus Universe.

The fact that RTD would later write a story where Donna basically gets the brainpower of a Time Lord in a human body and is informed that it is too much for a human body to take and she'll burn out if her mind isn't severely locked down suggests a rather horrifying ultimate end result for Doctor Twho over in the Cybus Universe, which I don't think RTD even remotely intended or ever considered.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 3, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

RTD had some spectacular highs and some pretty astonishing lows, but one constant through almost all his time running the show was that it always felt exciting and that you never really knew what loving bizarre thing was going to happen next. I loved Moffat's run, even if he started to repeat himself by his last couple of seasons, and the revival as a whole I think hit a high watermark in Season 5 that has only been matched by Day of the Doctor, though stretches of Capaldi's first and last season were right up there too. Overall I think the show was better under Moffat, but I also don't think it was ever more exciting and chaotic than it was under RTD.

Also, the last thing RTD wrote was last year's It's A Sin which was an absolutely incredible bit of writing, and I'd like to hope he's recharged his batteries and learned his lessons about getting his first drafts in early for this run on Doctor Who :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Someone repost the "first face" Six meme, I can't find it.

Simply amazing :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It'll never happen but I would laugh my rear end off if when we get to the end of the Sacha Dhawan Master's run, he decides to one up the Doctor in his next regeneration, and becomes Missy and it turns out she thought 13 was 12, and Missy's entire run she had no idea that the last time Capaldi saw her she was the Simm Master :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Did Big Finish put their prices up? I just got an alert that they were having a big sale on the DW monthly range 151-200 which is great because I have some gaps in that collection... but I went to their site and the "old" price is now twice what it used to be as the "discount" price is the same as what individual titles cost back when I couldn't justify paying the price for them :psyduck:

Edit: No I'm stupid, I just realized that these are sales on the actual physical CDs, not digital downloads :sweatdrop:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 15, 2022