Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I wish it had been another woman, but we've finally broke the 'Doctor is always white' cycle.

I sorta wish it was going to be Jo Martin, and that she was just 14 who got introduced mid-season and the Timeless Child nonsense never happened.
She actually had some gravitas about her.

Still watched a bunch of Gatwa's interviews, as I've never heard of him, and fingers crossed.
Honestly just hope we get back to good writing for once, cause gently caress me it's been bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

He's giving off Scottish Anthony Mackie vibes on his insta https://www.instagram.com/ncutigatwa/

Jerusalem posted:

David Tennant is now 4 years younger than William Hartnell was when he became the 1st Doctor. :stare:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I don't care if he's black or what his sexual orientation is.

We need to start asking questions.

Big questions.

Like why isn't he ginger?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Vinylshadow posted:

Can't wait to see where this goes

https://twitter.com/morganjeffery/status/1523259774988660736

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

OldMemes posted:

any loose threads from Flux....

Just most of the universe being dead

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Can that just be his costume so we can get One Local Timbo Doctor?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I was secretly hoping for Richard Ayoade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D3e7t_wg1c

And to be fair I reckon that wild as gently caress "Tennant is coming back as 14" rumour was pretty good as well.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

What's wrong with James Corden?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBsFwy2VQBg

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts6Nu7Bke20

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Delightful

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Vinylshadow posted:

It feels like we barely know Thirteen; it's been five years since she showed up and p o o f, she's gone :sigh:

Wish she had better stories.
Wish Chibnall didn't gently caress with the lore so goddamn much.

Wish Village of Angels wasn't tied into the Fluxx nonsense so I could hold it up as A Good Standalone 13 Episode

Same feeling I had when Smith + Moffat took over, and I had wished that Tennant had gotten a full season under his belt with Moffat at the helm.
Whittaker + RTD would have been a dumb fun season at least. :allears:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It doubly sucks, cause Broadchurch was such a well written series - particularly the 1st season.
Chibnall definitely has writing chops, but I guess it just didn't translate well to serial sci-fi? :shrug:

I just feel bad for Whittaker.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

I wonder if she'll be back for the 60th, given it's so soon after her finishing up. I just want her to get a chance to act in a non-Chibnall run story!

The 50th was so good. I hope the 60th is as good.
I hope all the new era Doctors are brought back for it.

As much as I, deservedly, poo poo on the Timeless Child retcon horseshit, I reckon a John Hurt + Jo Martin Doctor team up would have been delightful :unsmith:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jo being introduced as 14 randomly during the middle of 13's run would have been an absolutely insane power move.

But yeah 100% with you on Keep Jo, Ditch Timeless Child.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

evenworse username posted:

Among other things, it would get us around the thing I can't get over (and I assume there was some lovely explanation for this?) - if she's supposed to be a pre-Hartnell incarnation, why in the gently caress is her TARDIS shaped like a police box?

The TARDIS obviously had it's memory erased as well

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

If nothing else, RTD is adept at glib, evocative one-line allusions to a fabulously complex wider universe that will not, and probably should not, ever be explained in the medium of television: The Nightmare Child, the Could-Have-Been-King, the Silver Devastation, etc.

"Am I.... ginger?"

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It was truly the movie equivalent of finding a random USB in the parking lot and opening Evil _plans.pdf.bat

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Rumour has it that Sacha Dhawan has been persuaded to stay on as the Master into the RTD2 era. Hope that’s true, as it’s a great performance that deserves to be seen by a wider audience.

Same arrangement as Jo.

Keep Fugitive Doc. Ditch Timeless Child.
Keep Sacha Dhawan as Master. Ditch Cyber Timelords.

Sacha was great, just a wonderful level of neurotic. I might prefer him to Simms tbh
His initial reveal was fantastic "I did say to keep an eye out for the Spymaster.. or should I say Spy. MASTER."
The little matchbox reveal as well :allears:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

He's just so proud of being an absolute tit about it as well

Bless

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

or in some cases characters getting entire makeovers because the real person who did their voice/gave their likeness ended up in some minor scandal in Japan or something

I see you too are a fan of Judgement

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Also the egg looks exactly like the last egg in every way shape and form

Also all the stuff humanity left on the last one is on the new one.

A lot of Who assumes that the human race instantly forgets the WORLD CHANGING DISASTER that occured yesterday.
Like it was a plot point for a bunch of people that they couldn't remember this stuff that happened globally

--------

Counterpoint - What's the best 13 episode?

For me it's Village of Angels

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

RTD is great at schlocky bombastic dime novel sci-fi, and I'm here for it.
I just hope he doesn't get stuck in a "THE STAKES FOR EACH SEASON FINALE MUST BE HIGHER THAN LAST TIME" loop again.

I'm also going to be interested to see his LGBTQI+ representation, particularly with Ncuti as his Doctor, now that we're in 2022 and how that plays out onscreen.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I forgot there was an Easter Special this year, so I've just watched Legend of the Sea Devils. I wanna say... par for the course for Chibnall. Just really middling.

*Ji-Hun kills a Sea Devil that has literally been imprisoning him for centuries, and was actively trying to kill him in a sword fight*
Doctor "There was no reason to kill him!" :doh:

Doc... you literally just met Ji-Hun 5 seconds ago, it's weird to impart your way of doing things on him.
Then Dan kills like 3-4 Sea Devils with a sword in the next scene... just.. ARGH frustrating writing

Madam Ching also felt weirdly underutilised. You could have removed her and inserted Generic Pirate and it wouldn't have made a lick of difference to the plot.

I will say the last 5min with Yaz + Doc discussing their feelings on the beach was.. actually really great and seeing the Doctor despondent about her relationships felt really humanising
Though I will say outside of that scene the entire episode felt weirdly edited and disjointed, and was obvious in several scenes the characters were playing to the camera rather than an actor. Going to guess Covid played a part in the production on this one

"No ship, sherlock"
(Yeah alright I'll pay that one as well)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It def looked like they were using CGI morphing to make the mouth move a lot.

Jerusalem posted:

Madam Ching is such a fascinating character and making her almost entirely incidental in the episode was such a wasted opportunity.

Right? Like I knew of Madam Ching through just general knowledge osmosis, but if you're going to be introducing historical figures you should DO something with them.
The only impression kids are going to get is that she must be a pretty lovely Pirate Queen if all her crew got captured for ransom.

Especially when you have had multiple eps in Chibnal+Whittakers run showcasing strong women in history, it did her a disservice.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

"let's give one of the most colourful Doctors the blandest TARDIS"

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

*keeps twisting layers of cling wrap to form pillars*

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I think it's not fair that your PM resigned before her head had time to fully inflate

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Best mate who is a massive Doctor Who fan has just totally given up on it, for no other reason than the episodes are just back to back garbage.
Even though it's her final ep coming up he says he's only going to watch the regeneration scene

I just feel bad for Whittaker, she deserved better than Chibnall. :smith:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

For Aussies:
Stan has everything up to the end of Season 12
ABC iView has Flux + 2022 specials

Alternatively I have heard newsgroups are very good for :filez:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0O_W-hGWtA

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Christ you know the shows in trouble if the Brits don't even know when it's airing

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Tomorrow's my birthday, and I get a new ep of Doctor Who AND it's a regeneration ep :3:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Angels is the best ep of Flux.

Curious on your thoughts once you've completed it re: ongoing ramifications for the universe.
Chibnall did not stick the landing

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Stuck the landing. Amazing ep.

Good job Chibnall.

loving give Yaz a hug though Doc, jesus christ.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Dhawan just might be my favourite Master.

Dude is just a walking talking threatening aura.

"I can absolutely categorically pinky-promisey confirm this is no empty threat"
"Your Dad was an idiot"
"Yes yes take me away, you'll all feel safer with ME in the BUILDING"
"Just trying to lighten the tone before you all die"

Straight up villain.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The Master + Russian Queen
The Doctor + English Queen

:thunk:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

I was hoping there were more but it looks like they only published five of them. However I did find this:

21 volumes of Capaldi...

Japan has a garbage system of only putting 2-3 episodes on DVD/blurays and charging like $80 for them, which is how you end up with poo poo like this

It's also how a lot of anime series are supported by their disc sales

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Couldn't even give Yaz a loving hug at the end. Shameful and disappointing.

That said, man oh man I hope yall are on board for Russel T Davies Big Gay Agenda cause shits about to get camp

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The Chris Chibnall Dour Hour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Cleretic posted:

So, uhm... I guess I'll be learning second-hand if RTD2 is any good.

Nah gently caress that noise mate, :filez:

You can PM me if you want