Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
At work I was using a 3 monitor setup just fine. The work computer video card is just an Intel HD Graphics 530, which is probably built into the motherboard and only has 3 ports: 2 displayport & 1 VGA. I recently got a new larger monitor so I switched things around. My monitor's resolutions are 2560x1400 x2 & 1900x1200.

My new set up has caused an issue with the monitor on the right, which is now using a VGA (previously was using displayport --> HDMI). The monitor's native resolution is 1900x1200. The first issue was that this display resolution just wasn't present and at max I could select 1900x1080. At this resolution everything would display/scale fine, but it just clearly wasn't the correct resolution. Then without me changing anything, suddenly the next day the monitor was displaying in 1900x1200, however the leftmost horizontal portion of the screen is cut off. I cannot seeing the beginning of the taskbar at all and if I minimize any program, I cannot see the icons. If I move my mouse from the center monitor to the left monitor or vice versa, I get a good 2 seconds worth of time where the mouse is not present on either screen. When I hit "identify Monitor" in display settings, no number appears on the monitor, because I guess it would be in that bottom left corner.

This issue remains present no matter what resolution I switch to. I've tried switching using Windows' display settings and also the intel graphic settings software that is installed on the PC. I also fooled around with the screen scaling options in the Intel graphics software to no avail. I tried moving the display's position around in display settings, making it the leftmost or center monitor, and the problem persists in that the left side of the screen is absent/cut off. I even tried to manually move the screen image using the monitor settings menu on the device that you access via touching the monitor itself, and no matter how much I horizontally moved the screen to the right, the issue never resolved. I was never able to see the beginning of the taskbar. One other thing I tried was buying a new VGA cable, but it did not change anything.

I don't really have the ability to uninstall/reinstall graphic drivers since it's a work computer. If this is what is needed I could ask tech support to come do it. I'm hoping there is an easier way to resolve this I'm missing.

Thanks

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Megasabin posted:

I don't really have the ability to uninstall/reinstall graphic drivers since it's a work computer. If this is what is needed I could ask tech support to come do it. I'm hoping there is an easier way to resolve this I'm missing.

It wouldn't hurt to have them run DDU https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3847 and then install the latest GPU drivers.

Also, make sure the OS is fully updated.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
It's because you're using VGA, which is more like an old TV signal than something digital. It's quite possible that the hardware in that monitor that allows it to handle a VGA signal broke a long time ago. Even if this is a software issue and you get it configured right, the image quality is always going to suck compared to how it was with a digital connection.

The real solution I can think that is likely to get you away from the problem would be to switch to using a displayport MST hub to allow you to connect more monitors via displayport. It will still max out at 3 because that's the most the Intel 530 supports, but it should work.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

K8.0 posted:

It's because you're using VGA, which is more like an old TV signal than something digital. It's quite possible that the hardware in that monitor that allows it to handle a VGA signal broke a long time ago. Even if this is a software issue and you get it configured right, the image quality is always going to suck compared to how it was with a digital connection.

The real solution I can think that is likely to get you away from the problem would be to switch to using a displayport MST hub to allow you to connect more monitors via displayport. It will still max out at 3 because that's the most the Intel 530 supports, but it should work.

Would it be worth it to try a VGA --> Displayport/HDMI/DVI adapter cable first or will that just not work at all?

One issue I have is that out of the 3 monitors, two only support HDMI and one displayport. So if I bought the device you listed above, could I then connect a DVI --> HDMI converter to it?

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 10, 2022

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
In theory it's possible a VGA > DVI adapter could work, because certain types of common DVI plugs & cables can carry a VGA signal in addition to the digital one. In reality, if it is a problem with the monitor, it's almost certainly handling the VGA over DVI signal identically to through the DVI port.

I'm not sure how likely you are to find success running an MST splitter to a DP to HDMI adapter to an HDMI monitor. The problem is that you're really trying to get more outputs from this device than it was practically meant to support, and the cases where it will work right are probably limited.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

K8.0 posted:

In theory it's possible a VGA > DVI adapter could work, because certain types of common DVI plugs & cables can carry a VGA signal in addition to the digital one. In reality, if it is a problem with the monitor, it's almost certainly handling the VGA over DVI signal identically to through the DVI port.

I'm not sure how likely you are to find success running an MST splitter to a DP to HDMI adapter to an HDMI monitor. The problem is that you're really trying to get more outputs from this device than it was practically meant to support, and the cases where it will work right are probably limited.

Well I ordered this thing (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07575NBTV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) so hopefully it works.

I'll plug that into 1 display port and then both HDMI monitors into it. And then I'll plug the display port monitor into the other DP on the PC. Wish me luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
The DVI --> HDMI multiport/converter worked! Thanks for your help.