Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Who is Konjuro? It's a goon, isn't it?

Which one of you clowns made this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjgcY81dlao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Valko posted:

Who is Konjuro? It's a goon, isn't it?

Which one of you clowns made this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjgcY81dlao

I just saw that about an hour ago for the first time. Was going to post it here, but figured it had been posted 1000 times in the lowtax death thread.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

utter poo poo except the end

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
where is this front page post of lowtax going ape poo poo about his ex wife?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

teen phone cutie posted:

don't know, but someone linked it in the yikesaroo thread. the documentary took lowtax's side about it

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

ChubbyChecker posted:

don't know, but someone linked it in the yikesaroo thread. the documentary took lowtax's side about it

Are you telling me that a bunch of people who knew about lowtax because they liked him first took a pro lowtax angle?
For this?
The product they made about lowtax?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
dudes rock

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

wesleywillis posted:

I watched it and the tweet or whatever the gently caress that lowtax made from 2018 right at the end was kind of ironic.
He was saying how someone that killed themselves to get out of child support was a bitch or something like that.

E: Ok, not quite that but whatever. Heres the tweet.

The is for grabbing that, I kept fat fingering the pause button trying to read it and couldn't listen to that song any more.

I've been an SA member since before my reg date and this community has really been a foundational part of my life in many ways. I remember being confused in the late 00s as to why lowtax seemed so hostile and disinterested in the place he had built. This documentary filled in a lot of gaps in my knowledge and really illustrated his character and personality well. I think the point made towards the end about how SAs users and moderators managed to evolve with the time but lowtax could not was well stated. I loved the edgy, nihilistic tone of this place as a teenager. Today I'm in my late 30s and about to be a dad and have come out the other side of my own battles with depression and anxiety and while I'll always love the absurd, ironic, and subversive tone of this place, the misanthropic anger and chaos Lowtax embodied (spiced with low periods of pathetic victim good when things were going badly) just lost all of its appeal.

Glad to see this documentary made and I hope other serious dives into the long history of this site pop up before the darkness takes us all...

Fiddler on the Reef
Apr 29, 2011

lol @ 200K/yr revenue being "wealthy"

but overall good doc thanks for sharing

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
a little too ironic

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i dunno 200k a year is like 3 times what i make and i spend a lot of money on stupid bullshit so if i had 3 x as much money i think i would consider myself wealthy tbqh

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Fiddler on the Reef posted:

-- posted from my trust fund

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

:chloe:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:thermidor:

I mean 200k revenue doesn't necessarily mean one is wealthy, no, but we know SA didn't exactly benefit from a lot of reinvesting in those days, so...

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
revenue isn't profit. ( i didn't watch the documentary ( only the blooper reel with spinz eating it on the slip and slide))

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

eat the 200k a year shamer

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

no normal person makes that kind of money

and lowtax made more, that number included only the :10bux: regs, and nothing else

Fiddler on the Reef
Apr 29, 2011

ChubbyChecker posted:

no normal person makes that kind of money

in 2008, that was only 96th percentile, and 200K was his peak reg earnings: average was a good bit lower. and it doesn't take into account costs.

I would call it well off or affluent, but def not wealthy. wealthy *starts* at $200K/yr from passive investments alone, and that's like a poor man wannabe level of wealth.

e: source: I've been surrounded by wealth my entire working career (finance or FAANG). My boss's boss is a billionaire.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fiddler on the Reef fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 11, 2022

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

The Bloop posted:

So it's just the Lowtax was a Bad, Sad Man show more than an SA docu

Yeah, it's only about Lowtax.

EPG / Fistgrrl never showed up and they were very strong supports during the early days.

I also feel really bad for Frags, who stayed by Lowtax's side for so long but didn't know the troubles.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
having money is not the same as being wealthy
didn't you guys see that chris rock routine?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZWeFtgEAEk

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
It was decent, but yeah some stuff people mentioned that was left out like EPG, Fistgrrl, Dr David Thorpe and tons of others that kept the site relevant

also lol fuckin mangosteen

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
How come none of these things ever mention that the forums were brought down by hurricane Katrina, that's how I got involved with the IRC and all that poo poo

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

bagmonkey posted:

How come none of these things ever mention that the forums were brought down by hurricane Katrina, that's how I got involved with the IRC and all that poo poo

Radium wasn't mentioned, just the fact that this forum is still VBulliten and kept together by spit, tape, and load bearing slurs.

Oh the load bearing slurs weren't mentioned.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 11, 2022

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

in 2008, that was only 96th percentile, and 200K was his peak reg earnings: average was a good bit lower. and it doesn't take into account costs.

I would call it well off or affluent, but def not wealthy. wealthy *starts* at $200K/yr from passive investments alone, and that's like a poor man wannabe level of wealth.

e: source: I've been surrounded by wealth my entire working career (finance or FAANG). My boss's boss is a billionaire.

your penis is very large

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

CannonFodder posted:

Radium wasn't mentioned, just the fact that this forum is still VBulliten and kept together by spit, tape, and load bearing slurs.

Oh the load bearing slurs weren't mentioned.

see, it's absolutely egregious that this wasn't included in an entertainment piece

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

bagmonkey posted:

How come none of these things ever mention that the forums were brought down by hurricane Katrina
oh yeah that sucked

pretty sure that was when we lost somethingsawful and somethinglawful, too
the true victims of hurricane katrina, really

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Cubone posted:

oh yeah that sucked

pretty sure that was when we lost somethingsawful and somethinglawful, too
the true victims of hurricane katrina, really

it really feels like when the site started to take a turn towards the "dying gay comedy forum" it is today

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Ban this rear end in a top hat

What a fuckin post
I'm serious

Lol at 200 thousand loving dollars a year, one earner, NOT being wealthy

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Cool story bro

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Spinz posted:

Ban this rear end in a top hat

What a fuckin post
I'm serious

Lol at 200 thousand loving dollars a year, one earner, NOT being wealthy

When I win the lottery, I'll be pulling like 300k a year for 30 years :smug:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

lol if you think being a billionaire makes you rich. i grew up next door to mansa musa.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Have I been put in the documentary yet?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm rich.

in waifus.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

How did this not make it into the documentary?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdUHDDj7fhk

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

lil poopendorfer posted:

I think it was the forums outgrowing him and his sense of humor. Lowtax was always epic monkeycheese style humor and I think he never got over the fact that people stopped finding him funny. He never posted much and I got the sense he didn't read or lurk either. It was just something he kept going for money

He was also really into Gamer Words and random vulgarity well past the point most of us realized they weren't really appropriate and didn't automatically make things shocking and funny like in the early years of Internet edgelord humor.

And you're right, he would disappear for long periods of time then suddenly re-emerge in what can only be described as manic posting over some perceived slight in his personal life or on the forums. I'd never seen that video of him throwing himself headfirst into the SA strip mall headquarters, but it was pretty unsettling how the dude clearly had a ton of mental issues he never took care of or grew out of.

I can't believe the doc didn't mention the Hurricane Katrina saga

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Scam Likely posted:

haha i remember that lmao epic

i'm not being ironic that was pretyy epic

A For Effort
Apr 29, 2017

by Azathoth

Scam Likely posted:

There was a screenshot of it.

Premeditated Toast
Apr 24, 2008

Same as it ever was.

teen phone cutie posted:

Are you talking about this? Technically an ex-Fiancé (Integral) but either way yikesaroo!

https://www.somethingawful.com/news/what-learned-last/

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001
Despite being on this site for 20+ years, I don't recall ever hearing Lowtax's normal speaking voice. God, he was such a goober...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

One thing this kind of covered but didn't really focus on was how much goons seemed to rag on lowtax a lot, even in the good times. Like with the mangosteen, I didn't think it was a big deal that he talked about it and had some referral links, but he did get ripped apart for it. I seem to remember him posting that one of the reasons he didn't upgrade vbulletin sooner was because he knew it would change the look of the forums and people would complain. Goons complained about the change to the front page's layout when that happened. There was the whole SASS board that hounded him for years. And he would have absolutely been eviscerated by this community if he had ever sold out the site to a corporation when it was at its peak.

I don't know if it's the situation where his mind chose to focus on the negative voices most and then felt like that's all that there was. Maybe he had a mental issue of always framing himself as a victim even when there wasn't much of a problem or if it was actually his fault. But it does make me think about how the toxic element of these boards really did get under his skin and he wasn't able to ignore it like some public figures can.