Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

istewart posted:

^^ JeffreyNFTs coming when???

Eh, not necessarily true. I came back here after a long hiatus of lurking specifically because it wasn't Reddit or Twitter -- I'd be able to find quality discussion about relatively niche interests that wouldn't be flooded with crap and toxicity. It's a blessing that the remaining userbase has matured, even if Lowtax never did. And it's a good thing that crypto bros and MAGA freaks, to name two particular constituencies, get laughed out of here. I can log onto almost any other discussion website and get all of that poo poo I can handle, and then some.

I'm with you on this. I appreciate the slower pace of the forums after spending a while broke-brained and having that exacerbated by Twitter and Facebook (with Reddit feeling kind of grimy). I mean, sure, it's probably SA's fault I couldn't engage with those sites without being behind 8 layers of self-loathing irony, but coming back here is been a chill way to get some laughs when I'm bored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

post the guillotine one tia

200k a year is a loving absolutely insane amount of money. with normal human being spending habits, even after rent living alone in a city you simply cannot spend it fast enough-- let alone wherever Lowtax was living

when i was younger (i've been reading the forums since i turned 15) i thought lowtax was mystical because it took effort to imagine myself "getting" his humor. turns out he was just substituting absurdism for shock jock randomness and there was nothing to get. hot take, lowtax was never funny

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Lister posted:

One thing this kind of covered but didn't really focus on was how much goons seemed to rag on lowtax a lot, even in the good times. Like with the mangosteen, I didn't think it was a big deal that he talked about it and had some referral links, but he did get ripped apart for it. I seem to remember him posting that one of the reasons he didn't upgrade vbulletin sooner was because he knew it would change the look of the forums and people would complain. Goons complained about the change to the front page's layout when that happened. There was the whole SASS board that hounded him for years. And he would have absolutely been eviscerated by this community if he had ever sold out the site to a corporation when it was at its peak.

I don't know if it's the situation where his mind chose to focus on the negative voices most and then felt like that's all that there was. Maybe he had a mental issue of always framing himself as a victim even when there wasn't much of a problem or if it was actually his fault. But it does make me think about how the toxic element of these boards really did get under his skin and he wasn't able to ignore it like some public figures can.

The toxic elements he complained about were basically an extension of himself, the natural end point of his nihilism staring him back in the face.

Dude loved making harsh jokes and dunking on others but it was bc he was insecure af, so when others joined in dunking on him he melted down. It's halfway between affectionate tribalism (some folks I think really thought of it like fraternal needling, like a big joke everyone was in on) and toxic bullying. People thought that the meanness and anger were just part of the SA brand to act into, and that is because the guy at the top set the tone that way.

He got eaten by his own monster, a dark mirror reflection of himself

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
So yeh basically all his bitching about how the community always kicked him around is bc he fostered the sort of shithead Thunderdome where people had fun kicking each other around

Then he'd act all sorts of affronted at how 'messed up' goons were when this inevitably spiraled into some of the worst poo poo, like Helldump. It's like bro this is your child, you raised it to be this way. Don't look around pretending you're so shocked and claiming you have no idea how it got this far. If you like to exist walking on the 'edge of comedy' or some poo poo, then yes it's gonna fuckin' cut you.

SA has only gotten better with each step away he has taken.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 12, 2022

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Earning 200K for a few years isn't going to make you wealthy in the long term. Especially if the pillars of your financial plan are "Lease a GTO" and "Rent your own personal strip-mall Ambien den."

Pretty stunning the forums were earning as much as they were as late as they were though.

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

This thread did get me to check out how the front page looks right now. Maybe should just have it auto forward to the forums until something changes?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Earning 200K for a few years isn't going to make you wealthy in the long term.

okay, but like, i still wouldn't mind trying

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
it's pronounced "fyad", as seen in this historical document:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8flLpb3zXA&t=341s

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

syntaxfunction posted:

FYAD is like Bjorn Bjork. But you gotta get the big almost yodel sound in to get it right to post in there.

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

I hold all of you in the highest contempt

Hazo posted:

It is. The guy in the doc keeps calling it by its letters "Eff Wye Ayy Dee."

"Fye-add" seems to be the accepted pronunciation I've seen from most of it's users, however Lowtax himself chose to spell it out when talking about it. He mentions it two minutes fifty five seconds into a podcast appearance on "Struggle Session" episode 38.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

donkey salami posted:

This thread did get me to check out how the front page looks right now. Maybe should just have it auto forward to the forums until something changes?

I know right?
It's so stupid to have this out of date collection of unfunny poo poo. :negative:

It would be the easiest thing in the world to just have someone do links to a thread in a few forums that are decent.

Remember when Fluffdaddy supposedly was taking suggestions or samples? I guess that killed any action???

So if that doesn't get done for whatever reason don't just do nothing smgdh

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
it's pronounced "no you shouldn't post there, really"

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I don't think the front page as a whole should be taken down since it's still got a lot of historical internet content on there alongside the cringe, though I'm sure there's still a handful of really slur-filled articles hiding in there somewhere that should be purged if found, and it probably could use a new top article about what's going on with the place with links to the forums.

Beside it is still producing laughs to this day:

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

do the hentai articles still have pictures of naked anime kids or was that finally purged

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Spinz posted:

I know right?
It's so stupid to have this out of date collection of unfunny poo poo. :negative:

It would be the easiest thing in the world to just have someone do links to a thread in a few forums that are decent.

Remember when Fluffdaddy supposedly was taking suggestions or samples? I guess that killed any action???

So if that doesn't get done for whatever reason don't just do nothing smgdh

If it will help the forums I will authorize full publication of my Ronin Cheems Action Comics directly to the front page ROYALTY FREE.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
If you think 200k a year is chump change, feel free to Venmo me the difference so that I may too be a chump.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
in my father's boss, there are many bosses

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
i still dont get mangosteen. has anyone read that thread lately? the criticism wasn't even that harsh for lowtax to freak out like he did and the thread closed pretty soon after like one or two guys called him out.

people talk about mangosteen like he was so brutally dunked on by goons

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

teen phone cutie posted:

i still dont get mangosteen. has anyone read that thread lately? the criticism wasn't even that harsh for lowtax to freak out like he did and the thread closed pretty soon after like one or two guys called him out.

people talk about mangosteen like he was so brutally dunked on by goons

I guess he was just so used to getting his rear end kissed by the community that he couldn’t handle even the slightest bit of pushback.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

kntfkr posted:

in my father's boss, there are many bosses

When your dad is a skeleton in The Tomb of the Giants.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

260k a year I could take care of my family and the single mom's with two separate mortgages in rather nice houses, that graphic is just insulting.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

yup. unfortunately have to vote even lower, but op undertsands why. not in it, hands are tied

Assumed I'm not in it, didn't watch, voted 2

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

5er posted:

260k a year I could take care of my family and the single mom's with two separate mortgages in rather nice houses, that graphic is just insulting.

It's from the WSJ, who's readers likely consider 260k to be on the low side of middle class....

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

https://i.gifer.com/WhdY.mp4

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I say it with the Y sounding like the Y in Healthy.
So "Feead" Or maybe "F-Yad"

A For Effort
Apr 29, 2017

by Azathoth

lol

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

haha

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

i am still right here

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Valko posted:

I'm honestly surprised this wasn't a Justin Whang video but then again the saga of Lowtax is probably a bit too depressing for his style of videos.

I was mentioned in the cakefarts whang video

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

I remember a bunch of years ago when the Tories did a whole bunch of tax changes here, in australia and released their modelling. And it was all based on projections of how it would affect people who where basically in the top 10% of the economy, right down to crowing about how it would affect "Strugglers", defiing "strugglers" as people "struggling" on about quarter of a million dollars a year.

Conservative politicians , and actually liberal politicians too, have no goddamn idea how the little guy lives.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I'm the moron who started a new thread on this instead of bothering to search.

So I'll post my thoughts of the video in here instead of my thief thread.

Caesar Saladin posted:

Its is seriously insane that he didn't sell the site for that big chunk of cash.

I find it even crazier that ResetEra was sold for $4.5 million recently.

The fact that he ended up selling the site for a mere six figures is really telling of its fall.

Scam Likely posted:

How did this not make it into the documentary?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdUHDDj7fhk

It technically did but it was a brief quip.

Valko posted:

I also recommend nobody else try to find out about shmorky. I just kept hearing vague details. I watched some 'Down the rabbit hole' video about him and wish I hadn't. It gets a hell of a lot worse than just cartoon scat fetish.

I ended up watching this video because of this post and now I hate myself.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

i wanna know about the bad shmorky things

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Not sure if this is the documentary mentioned above, but it's about Shmorky's degeneracy.

NWS for language and adult themes. incl. Shmorky pedo roleplay chatlog. :gonk:
:nws:https://youtu.be/gugmLvqXe14:nws:

BigBadSteve fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jan 17, 2022

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

Ok, finally got around to watching it an also learned about the whole Schmorky thing and a few details here and there. The whole thing is just sad af. I really hope his family (families?) are coping with this somehow.

But one question I have is, what was up with his neck? Did he break it from running in to a door on purpose?

Undaine
Jun 5, 2002

All done running...
Saw this on Reddit, account still works. Too bad he turned out to be such a bad and depressed person in the end. All the best to his family.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Oldsmobile posted:

But one question I have is, what was up with his neck? Did he break it from running in to a door on purpose?

I may be wrong, but if you're talking about Richard "Lowtax" Kyanka's neck scar, he had a lovely spine and some back surgeries require them to go in the front. If that's not the case, maybe he tried and failed to cut his own head off like forums user Volume.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

punk rebel ecks posted:

I ended up watching this video because of this post and now I hate myself.

Doctor Dogballs posted:

i wanna know about the bad shmorky things

I'm setting a new rule for myself. If I know about something spectacularly gross and disgusting and goons start asking questions about it, I'm just going to shut the gently caress up.

No amount of warning seems to keep people away. In fact, the more dire the warning the more curious people get.

A For Effort
Apr 29, 2017

by Azathoth

Undaine posted:

Saw this on Reddit, account still works. Too bad he turned out to be such a bad and depressed person in the end. All the best to his family.

Welcome back. Stay awhile, friend.

Tuxide
Mar 7, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I haven't seen this thing and I don't intend to, but the GoFundMe is still going strong and I take it this video is why.

My complaint about it is that the video description links to the GoFundMe itself and not the forums thread, so pubs have to take the creator's word for it being a legit fundraiser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

Kirk Vikernes posted:

I may be wrong, but if you're talking about Richard "Lowtax" Kyanka's neck scar, he had a lovely spine and some back surgeries require them to go in the front. If that's not the case, maybe he tried and failed to cut his own head off like forums user Volume.

Yeah, the video said two of his neck vertebra had "crumbled". What causes that?