Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

Oldsmobile posted:

Yeah, the video said two of his neck vertebra had "crumbled". What causes that?

He got punched on the top of the head by Uwe Boll so hard that his spine crumpled like an accordion, OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Unless jeffrey wants to like prove otherwise I'm kinda in camp "secret service subpoena was a completely made up over the top story to justify closing the forum he hated"

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Oldsmobile posted:

Yeah, the video said two of his neck vertebra had "crumbled". What causes that?

That's the way the cookie does it.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Riot Bimbo posted:

Unless jeffrey wants to like prove otherwise I'm kinda in camp "secret service subpoena was a completely made up over the top story to justify closing the forum he hated"

Yeah, this.

egg_dog
Nov 12, 2005

nͬ͒̂̓̂ͪoͨ́
Fun Shoe

Das Boo posted:

That's the way the cookie does it.

Too much goldbelly

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

teen phone cutie posted:

i still dont get mangosteen. has anyone read that thread lately? the criticism wasn't even that harsh for lowtax to freak out like he did and the thread closed pretty soon after like one or two guys called him out.

people talk about mangosteen like he was so brutally dunked on by goons

Its one of those digs that wouldn't have become a big deal but because it obviously gets a rise out the target it catches fire.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Riot Bimbo posted:

I had the Secret Service visit me because someone made a false report (to the FBI who then sent it over to them) about something I said on Facebook so I actually do believe it happened. They even showed me the print out of the report and it wasn't even a screenshot or anything it was them just saying I said something. If it hadn't happened to me I'd think it he made it up to close the forums though.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Riot Bimbo posted:

it does look like the most likely option, and that's what makes it so funny. here's a popular subforum bringing in new users and tons of traffic and all the other stuff that the video's attempts at revenue guesstimation didn't touch like avs and red text, but it developed without him and he disagrees with LF's politics and so he first tries to ruin it and then shuts it down, kicking off years of decline that were likely inevitable but certainly accelerated by lowtax's own idiocy.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
Does it cover how Shmorky is a millionaire now?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

who isn't a millionaire these days?

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Richard "Lowtax" Kyanka

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

YOURFRIEND posted:

Does it cover how Shmorky is a millionaire now?
…What?!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Groovelord Neato posted:

I had the Secret Service visit me because someone made a false report (to the FBI who then sent it over to them) about something I said on Facebook so I actually do believe it happened. They even showed me the print out of the report and it wasn't even a screenshot or anything it was them just saying I said something. If it hadn't happened to me I'd think it he made it up to close the forums though.

Ok but why would they go to Lowtax and not the IP owner of the poster?

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

I really don't think that's true. From what little I've heard about Schmorky it seems like the earth just swallowed him whole. Nobody knows where he is or what he's doing.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Watched the vid. I was never banned by Lowtax, and now, I fear, I never will be.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Groovelord Neato posted:

happened to the oldmanmurray guys back in the day, too

I remember seanbaby said they brought a hard copy of the incriminating webpage but it was white text on a dark background and they didn't configure the printer properly, so there was no readable text

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Knot My President! posted:

post the guillotine one tia

200k a year is a loving absolutely insane amount of money. with normal human being spending habits, even after rent living alone in a city you simply cannot spend it fast enough-- let alone wherever Lowtax was living

when i was younger (i've been reading the forums since i turned 15) i thought lowtax was mystical because it took effort to imagine myself "getting" his humor. turns out he was just substituting absurdism for shock jock randomness and there was nothing to get. hot take, lowtax was never funny

It is, as a salary, but that's not what is being talked about here. It's the revenue (not profit) from subs for one particular year at the height of SA's popularity. Server costs back then would have been astronomical since it was almost certainly not hosted on some kind of cloud platform with auto scaling and even if it were, the tech behind the forums is clunky, old and non-performant.

He was probably closer to the low one-hundreds which is definitely well-off, but wealthy to me implies gently caress you money, 120-130k a year isn't that. It's enough to comfortably cover all of your own bills and needs but not enough to go buy a yacht.

I think the issue is just goons not understanding the difference between profit and revenue.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

The X-man cometh posted:

You can't work in FAANG. It's a tech centered investment strategy where you buy Facebook, Apple, Amazon, Netflix and Google stocks.

Also this is just wrong. Tech professionals often refer to working in FAANG. Although I guess since Facebook is Meta now we could call it MANGA.

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine

Valko posted:

I really don't think that's true. From what little I've heard about Schmorky it seems like the earth just swallowed him whole. Nobody knows where he is or what he's doing.

Yeah, he has completely disappeared.

He could be raking it in as a patreon fetish artist. Probably have to figure out a way that people wouldn't recognize his art style.)lll

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Yvershek posted:

Yeah, he has completely disappeared.

He could be raking it in as a patreon fetish artist. Probably have to figure out a way that people wouldn't recognize his art style.)lll

One of the rumours I've heard is he might be the creator of Stonetoss. I'm not quite so sure about that but I looked up the rationalwiki article on Stonetoss and found this:
https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/StoneToss

quote:

His NFTs
In November 2021, Stonetoss decided to dip his toes into the world of crypto art by launching his own collection of 5000 Non-Fungible Tokens (NFTs) called "Flurks," each depicting one of the humanoid characters he uses in his comics, but with randomized features and clothing. However, one day after the minting day, his collection was banned off of OpenSea[35] and Rarible,[36] two major NFT trading platforms. So much for decentralization?

Flurks? Schmorky called his characters 'Klurfs'.

Who knows, could be a coincindence.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
people keep arguing that he wasn't Wealthy, but surely we can all agree that he was Rich

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Who What Now posted:

Ok but why would they go to Lowtax and not the IP owner of the poster?

These guys aren't exactly technically savvy. They didn't even look up my Facebook that was reported before coming out to my place.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

There has been an update. A podcast featuring the guys who made the documentary. Apparently they were in talks with Lowtax in 2020 about appearing in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrUrRZ9a2ik

Tuxide
Mar 7, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Valko posted:

There has been an update. A podcast featuring the guys who made the documentary. Apparently they were in talks with Lowtax in 2020 about appearing in it.

What a bunch of jerks for them to offer interviewing the very guy who had consistently been in control of the image of his victims, for as long as he lived.

The women can tell the story however they want to, if they ever do. It's their story now and nobody else's.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

Valko posted:

they said that null of kiwifarms offered to re-code the SA? What's the source on that?

And also what's the source about the permaban for lowtax being hardcoded?

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Valko posted:

One of the rumours I've heard is he might be the creator of Stonetoss. I'm not quite so sure about that but I looked up the rationalwiki article on Stonetoss and found this:
https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/StoneToss

Flurks? Schmorky called his characters 'Klurfs'.

Who knows, could be a coincindence.

I have a hard time believing shmorky swung fully into being a nazi after their fall from grace considering stonetoss loves to bash LGBTQ+ people, and shmorky was genderfluid (I think?). The styles are a little similar but only when it comes to the characters, the background and everything else is very different from shmorky. I think stonetoss' style is more of a ripoff of Bone.

Linux Pirate fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 27, 2022

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Linux Pirate posted:

I have a hard time believing shmorky swung fully into being a nazi after his fall from grace considering stonetoss loves to bash LGBTQ+ people, and shmorky was genderfluid (I think?). The styles are a little similar but only when it comes to the characters, the background and everything else is very different from shmorky. I think stonetoss' style is more of a ripoff of Bone.

Yeah but they were dating a legit Nazi so why not do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

KakerMix posted:

Yeah but they were dating a legit Nazi so why not do that

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Idk still don't think Stonetoss is Shmorky, could be wrong though :shrug: