Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Pokémon is a series that requires no introduction, being the 5th best selling series of all time. Online nerds with no concept of game design or balance have been calling for an open world traditional Pokémon game for almost as long as the series has existed. The second generation and their remakes got the closest in that following the 4th gym leader you can challenge any of the three gym leaders that followed but this in turn sacrificed balance and led to your fighting trainers and Pokémon that were far weaker than you in order to gain experience. It's a concept that people have been clamoring for but it doesn't seem like it should be possible right?

Well a romhacker by the name of ShockSlayer put his money where his mouth is and turned Pokémon Crystal into an open sandbox, excising the plot and rival in order to maintain this sandbox. Crystal Clear does this by using team sets that scale in power with each badge earned and it does it quite well, coupling that with a world that has a lot to explore and it's a genuinely impressive feat. The creator is also not a grognard that demands the game be played a specific way or just being obnoxiously difficult like some infamous romhackers, it's basically a Pokémon game that has reasonable difficulty and doesn't pull any bullshit out of the hat.
This is why I'd like to do a playthrough, it's a fairly fun experience created by a developer that isn't seething that people are winning battles the wrong way. In the Pokemon romhacking community you take that.

What's the end goal?

Get all 16 badges, beat the elite four, beat any optional super bosses, get all 251 pokemon so that I can get the final surprise.

SPOILERS POLICY

Try not to be too overt; I'm fine with someone saying "there's something pretty cool at x location that you missed" at a reasonable point but not so much when someone adjusts their glasses and goes "UH YOU MISSED THE QUEST THAT LETS YOU CATCH THIS LEGENDARY POKEMON, THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT" or someone that gives too much of a poo poo about optimal movesets or DVs. This is for fun, I'm not trying to speedrun the game or preparing Pokemon for competitive battling.

WHAT ABOUT A NUZLOCKE?

For those that don't watch Pokémon youtubers because you have better things to do with your time ( I don't), a Nuzlocke is a Pokemon challenge with three things to it

* You only get one catch attempt per area, if you knock a Pokemon out or fail to catch it then you can't catch anything from that area again.
* You have to nickname your Pokemon in order to build attachment.
* A Pokémon that is knocked out is dead, it can't be used again.

While Crystal Clear does have Nuzlockes as an optional game mode, I don't think it'd be fun to do in a format like this I'll still show you how to start the built-in Nuzlocke mode but I'm not doing it.

WHAT STARTERS ARE THERE?

Oh there are a few, technically anything can be a starter using code injection but there are 30 mons that are selectable. Everything is also available elsewhere so you're not locked out of a Pokémon just because you didn't select it as a starter.

Functionally it's broken down into 4 types of starter over the 30 choices

* Starter Pokémon. They've been starters in one of the games based on the first 2 gens.
* Extra Pokémon. These are essentially Pokémon that have been added that the creator thought would make good starters. Please do not suggest Growlithe because it's way too strong to start the game off.
* Baby Pokémon. Babies are weak and a pain to train up. Half of them are happiness evolutions and the others evolve at level 30. The sole exclusion is Tyrogue which has a split evolution and can die in a fire.
* Challenge Pokémon. These are just the worst of the worst. 3 are gimmick Pokémon, one is the pathetic Magikarp and the last is a brick wall with the offensive skills to match.

Every starter also comes with a held item. The vast majority of them are of the boost damage of x type by 10% variety or similar handy battle items. Porygon comes with the always appreciated amulet coin, a few come with elemental stones so they can reach their final forms quicker, Unown comes with the TM for Hidden Power because of course and Magikarp comes with the originally dummied out Berserk Gene which is a single use item that boosts attack by 2 stages but causes 256 turns of confusion.

I WANNA BE A GUY/GIRL

Well now, there are a total of 10 different character models that you can choose and you can make it as eye bleeding as possible.

So hit me with

1. Character and name
2. Which starter
3. Starter nickname

And I'll decide what I like best

VIEWER INTERACTION

Pokemon Crystal Clear has all 251 Pokemon gettable in one way or another and movepools are actually pretty reasonable now with the addition of tutors and certain other stuff. So you make name suggestions and ask me to use certain Pokemon (IN BOLD so it's eyecatching because I am dumb as hell) which I am sure will not be abused to force me to use Unown.

TABLE OF CONTENTS

1. An Auspicious start

2. Have you ever dunked on a man so hard that you had to do it twice?

3. In the name of the Moon

4. Fair and Balanced©

5.Gimme Dem Nugs

6. What's the Matter Trainer?

7. DRUGSDRUGSDRUGSDRUGS

8. Entering the Zone

9. Back on the Grind

Testekill fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Mar 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

(THE HALL OF HEROES- Pokemon who have been instrumental to completing a gym or very challenging battle)

* DATA DUCK the Porygon
* Goku the Pikachu
* The Kernel the Sunkern
* Pikablu the Raichu

(THE GROUP OF FRIENDS- Pokemon that are neither heroes nor failures)

* Kenya the Fearow
* Bort the Voltorb
* Budge the Pidgey
* X the Eeevee
* Pooka the Diglett
* Swallows the Caterpie
* Smacktose the Miltank
* Trooper the Quagsire
* Gengar Bed the Lickatung
* Nuclear the Cyndaquil
* Sexhaver the Ditto
* Cookie the Krabby
* Pupper the Growlithe
* TheGrimace the Grimer
* FINGKOF the Koffing
* Zuckerburg the Charmander
* Kojo the Vulpix
* Quackerjak the Magby
* Maple the Shuckle
* Venoneat the Venonat
* Mewtwo the Gyarados
* PALE SNK the Ekans
* Bofa the Slugma
* Edel the Natu
* Probab'l the Farfetch'd
* Chris the Bellsprout
* Geller the Abra
* Gympie the Oddish
* Cordy the Paras
* Bob the Clefairy
* Bruce the Zubat
* GeoThatGuy the Geodude
* Joey the Rattata
* Starboy the Cleffa
* TheSheeple the Flaffy
* THE BOY the Sandshrew

(THE BASEMENT OF FAILURE- the Underwhelming Pokemon or Pokemon that failed when they had their chance)

The Pokemon no longer with us

Buzzta the Weedle

---------------------------------------

Testekill fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Feb 6, 2022

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

This is a very good romhack that does what it sets out to do perfectly, and has a lot of love and features put into it.

1. Lena with the name Clear
2. Porygon because Porygon is cool
3. Beta Test.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

1. Blue with the name Goku
2. Magikarp because all he needs is a friend.
3. Goku 2

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
1. Yellow, echoing the name of Clear
2. Shuckle, you gotta go with a starter Shuckle.
3. Maple

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

1. Yellow, with the name Clear
2. Porygon, gotta give the data duck its due.
3. Data Duck, cause that sounded funny actually.

FlamingRok
Jan 14, 2013

The ultimate power is clearly roses.
Yellow owns bones, name I have no thoughts on so take something from someone else.

Sure, I'll also with Porygon.

My main memory from this game is managing to get an incredible Houndour starter with a 69 Power Hidden Power Grass, so Solarbeam no longer was necessary and I could be hyper flexible onto my future Houndoom.

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
Green seems like a good choice as to the name I'll go with Clear as well.

As for starter lets go with Eevee

As for the nickname X because of its limitless potential to evolve.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

grunt 1 with porygon named shitposter

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
yellow/pikachu/your choice

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Female Grunt
Anon because it's always so underutilized. I wonder why that is.
Dunno about the name, because I would base that on the letter. Is it an A?
Austin

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Female Grunt with a Porygon; time for some new management in Team Rocket

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Yellow. Pokemon Special's always good.

Porygon doesn't get enough love.

No real opinion on the nickname, but Data Duck got a chuckle out of me, so I'll echo that.

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Lurker, Sims 3 LPer, Bored College Student

Testekill posted:

Magikarp comes with the originally dummied out Berserk Gene which is a single use item that boosts attack by 2 stages but causes 256 turns of confusion.

Very trivial correction per bulbapedia Berserk Gene isn't Dummied out in GSC it's obtainable where Cerulean Cave use to be. And i found footage of being a hidden item in those games.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

So the first update will be much longer than anticipated. Just had more stuff to do starting off, it's certainly not going to be indicative of the regular of updates.

bladeworksmaster posted:

1. Yellow, with the name Clear
2. Porygon, gotta give the data duck its due.
3. Data Duck, cause that sounded funny actually.

You went 3 for 3!

Dr Pepper posted:

This is a very good romhack that does what it sets out to do perfectly, and has a lot of love and features put into it.

It really does. It avoids feature bloat by just keeping it to those gens, you get so many GBA romhacks where they have to have every single facet that has been introduced. It is odd going back to before the physical-special split but you get used to it after a while.

weso12 posted:

Very trivial correction per bulbapedia Berserk Gene isn't Dummied out in GSC it's obtainable where Cerulean Cave use to be. And i found footage of being a hidden item in those games.

Fair enough, I'd never even seen it before touching this game for the first time ever.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Testekill posted:

Fair enough, I'd never even seen it before touching this game for the first time ever.

Understandable, the only indication it exists is an NPC mentioning their itemfinder reacting within sight of where Cerulean Cave used to be.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I will always toss in a vote for the greatest pokemon, my boy Totodile, and s/he shall be named Rachel because I am currently on an Animorphs kick

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Ablative posted:

Understandable, the only indication it exists is an NPC mentioning their itemfinder reacting within sight of where Cerulean Cave used to be.

Honestly, I never understood what the point of that thing was. It felt weirdly specific that the only NPC who used an item finder pointed that out for you. But that item is kinda pointless.

FlamingRok
Jan 14, 2013

The ultimate power is clearly roses.
It's hyper worthless since it's one in the whole game (consumed when used) and infinite confusion. I guess you could try and make it work in the Battle Tower or Pokemon Stadium 2 (where it actually is now regular confusion), but outside of that it's just...there, for some reason.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Honestly, I never understood what the point of that thing was. It felt weirdly specific that the only NPC who used an item finder pointed that out for you. But that item is kinda pointless.

Because literally no one would use the itemfinder in that specific spot.

Or at all. God the itemfinder sucked before gen 3.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
This seems like a neat concept, will be keeping up.

And yeah Berserk Gene is a weird item. Basically Swagger in item form I guess?

Ablative posted:

Because literally no one would use the itemfinder in that specific spot.

Or at all. God the itemfinder sucked before gen 3.

God I really appreciated the upgrades it got in later games. It was nearly impossible to find things with it unless you spammed it everywhere.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

The point of the Berserk Gene is that it's leftover mewtwo cells, it's more of a plot cookie than something to actually use.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

AN AUSPICIOUS START

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg8pZe38dr4

So first up we have a new opening. It's in Icy Path instead of a forest like in Crystal.

The original had Wooper and Pichu just hanging around, here we've got an extremely fast Swinub while two more look on.

:3:

In comparison Crystal had Suicune and the Unowns. It's kinda funny that the Unown were presented as a big mysterious thing and were the antagonists in the third movie. Then they kinda just got dropped because they're just a gimmick.

If you hold down select while pressing A, you can start nuzlocke mode with a bunch of options that you can use. Even if I'm not particularly big on them, it's good that there's a mode that is built into the game.

You can actually start in any town in either region. We're opting for Goldenrod as it's quick and easy to travel to Kanto but we've also got a lot of stuff that we can do.

This is me, my name is Clear!

This is my friend Data Duck, I call him that because I got him when he came out of my Nintendo and he blew it up. Also because he looks like a duck.

Click for a rundown of the mod

Hey, it's me again! Hello!

HP: 65 | ATK: 60 | DEF: 70 | SP.ATK: 85 | SP.DEF: 75 | SPD: 40 | TOTAL: 395

Porygon is a cool duck dude. It's a manmade pokemon that has an enormous movepool and some unique moves. It's most famous for the episode of the original series that caused a number of seizures in Japan because Pikachu caused a bunch of flashing lights. Porygon ended up being the scapegoat and hasn't been in the anime since despite being an innocent party.

Data Duck has kinda rear end DVs.I'll have Bulbapedia explain them for me. The Porygon line is designed to be a special sweeper and having a 0 DV in special growth is real bad.

They weren't kidding when they said that the Dex was overhauled.
From top left to top right we have; Pokemon Info, moves that can be learned, Pokemon location
From bottom left to bottom right we have; Pokemon found in your current location, a Pokemon list and options.

Under info we have the two screens that I showed just before, your evolution info, weaknesses and resistances, grognard stats and the base stat total. It's all very handy to have the stats at your fingertips.

This is my bedroom, I don't have very much in here but I'm hoping to fill it up with so much cool stuff like dolls, furniture, a new Nintendo 64 that Data Duck isn't allowed to touch because he'll blow it up.

This is everything else in the house. A computer, a radio, a tv, a map and a bookcase. The computer is used to decorate the house or can also be used as a regular PC.

Welcome to sunny Goldenrod City.

Our first stop is actually right next door to us.

It's Bill of turning yourself into a horrible freak of nature fame.

I'm Clear and this is Data Duck! I'm going to be best friends with all Pokemon.

If you'd like to do me a favour, please take that Eevee on the table. I don't have the time to care for it, I'm afraid. You seem like a pretty responsible trainer.

I'm not but thank you!

We got ourselves an Eevee, I of course name it X as megamariox
requested.

HP: 55| ATK: 55 | DEF: 50 | SP.ATK: 45 | SP.DEF: 65 | SPD: 55 | TOTAL: 325

The X is for extremely cute!

We're off to the building directly under our house next, the Goldenrod Underground. But first

:3: It raises our friendship so it's both cute and helpful.

The only standout move that Data Duck starts with is tri attack which is a midgame move for it that has a chance to inflict burn, frozen or paralysis on the opponent. Conversion is more of a gimmick than anything else.

We're going to keep on making X happy until we hit 220 happiness.

This man outside of the Game Corner is the beam tutor. For 4000 pokebucks he can teach a Pokemon flamethrower, thunderbolt or ice beam.

We have the bog standard slot machine, card flip and Voltorb Flip which is new here. People apparently really like it but I don't gently caress with the game corner because I'm very unlucky.

Our prizes in Goldenrod. Kangaskhan for 200 is appealing, 700 for Chansey is reasonable considering it's a 1% encounter on 3 routes. Everything else is nothing special. If I'm going to go for the Chansey then I'll have to either cheat my rear end off or grind for a 1% encounter.

Some nice goodies here; if someone was dedicated enough they'd make a beeline for the EXP share and lucky egg. The master ball would be nice but that's real expensive.

Don't think I won't do it when I get one.

The Shopping Centre is our next destination.

This fellow here is the tradeback guy. If you trade him a Pokemon that needs to be traded to evolve then he'll trade back an identical copy. It's something that I wish was in the actual games because tradebacks with randoms are impossible but alas Nintendo is dedicated to making things a pain. The floors are fundamentally the same except for the 3rd floor. There you can purchase evolution stones and evolution held items, this is a pretty big addition because elemental stones weren't available in Johto at all.

The basement has been cleared out. Items on the ground include this Amulet Coin, an Ultra Ball, a Burn Heal and an Ether.

Me too buddy, me too.

There is also a set of stairs that lead to a brand spanking new floor which consists of a gigantic computer. The only thing of note is that you can change your character model and colours.

We can take the magnet train for free, this will let us go to Kanto. It's nifty.

We've got some things to do at the Radio Tower as well.

This fellow is the event tutor. He can teach your Pokemon event moves. We take the chance to teach X growth which he can apparently learn.

We can also do a quick and easy quiz and get the TM for hyper beam because apparently that's something they're giving out.

Heading upstairs and we run into Jigglypuff. I wish the propensity for violence when people fall asleep while listening to it was a came canon thing.

What a weird place to drop an item.

Oh. OH NO IT'S BORT.

We caught our first Pokemon! Bort is just a random Voltorb just hanging out in the radio tower, I assume this is a Twitch Plays Pokemon meme?

HP: 40 | ATK: 30 | DEF: 50 | SP.ATK: 55 | SP.DEF: 55 | SPD: 100 | TOTAL: 330

The Voltorb line is hamstrung by an awful learnset. It has nothing really going for it offensively outside of burst damage with self destruct or explosion. I'd say it's a nice thunder waver but it actually only knows that in gen 1, it has to be transferred from there in order to know it. It can be taught thunderbolt but only by TM, it's just not a great line here.

We stick with the name Bort because it kinda is a perfect name.

Static & gift Pokemon usually have egg moves. I don't know what the deal is with extremespeed but the other moves all moves that Voltorb can learn via TM in gen 1 but not in gen 2.

There's a cafe in town as well, they want some help making a sign.

The interesting thing is the leftovers but the other 3 things are neat. Everything here costs 10k and the food items increase happiness by 10 points.

We get given a bike for free by the bike shop owner in order to “Advertise”
Also under the music selection you can set music and there's an option for an 8 bit version of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CqXgs-7ico

Naturally I picked it.

Crossing over to the other side of the tracks now, the Modification station is a new thing as well. It contains the name rater, move reminder and move deleter alongside new services in the legality fixer and nature tweaker. There are four locations all up, 2 in each region.

The gym is right next to us but before we challenge it, there's one more thing that we want to do and it's just up the road.

We get the legendary Kenya the Spearow and are even told we can keep him after we deliver the mail. Now we might as well deliver the mail.

HP: 40 | ATK: 60 | DEF: 30 | SP.ATK: 31 | SP.DEF: 31 | SPD: 70 | TOTAL: 262

Spearow is just a basic vanilla bird, it's a fast but fragile physical attacker. But being a bit vanilla doesn't matter with Kenya

So you know how I've been saying that it's a sandbox? Well Kenya comes with fly. Usage of HMs isn't dictated by badges now so the world is officially open to us although within reason, wild Pokemon levels don't scale with us so we're not going to trapise through Mt. Silver but getting to around level 25 is generally safe for most areas.

The last thing of note in Goldenrod City is to take on Whitney.

I wonder what they mean by this

Thanks, I try. You're nice as well.

The good thing about starting with the Amulet Coin is that we quickly made enough money to go to the Beam tutor and teach Data Duck thunderbolt. It's a very good move, fairly strong and very accurate with a chance to paralyze.

Everyone was into Pokemon, so I got into it too! Pokemon are super cute!

Yeah they are, the cutest is Espurr don't @ me.

I set the gym music to an 8 bit remix of the Sword & Shield gym music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcV6xVukj60

Data Duck doesn't do a ton with tri attack, we swap to thunderbolts to take Clefairy out. That's a big problem with tri attack on Porygon, it wasn't an ideal move for it as Porygon is far stronger with special attacks than physical attacks and the normal type is physical only up to the phys/special split.

It has cut ins when you get down to their last pokemon, always an appreciated detail. I believe these were introduced in gen 4.

Oh... oh dear. That wasn't very much damage at all.

A freeze is good though. It isn't an instant win like in gen 1 but it takes an opponent out for a few turns.

New Plan, use conversion 2 to turn Data Duck into a fighting type so I resist roll out. I guarantee that this is the only time that I will use Conversion 2.

Thunderbolt does somewhere between a quarter and a third. I think we win the damage race as long as Miltank doesn't get a crit.

See? All good. Give it up for conversion 2 saving the day outta nowhere. that was actually very stressful

I would have genuinely been hosed if Whitney was smart and had Miltank use a normal attack. I know that she has one but she absolutely bottled it here. AI trainers might be better than gen 1 but it's still prone to brain farts.

You shouldn't be so serious! You... you child, you!

I'm not mean, you're mean. :mad:

So ah... what do I do now?

It's OK, She'll stop soon. She always cries when she loses.

Please and thank you.

We get the Plain Badge and the Attract TM for our troubles. That gym went fine, everything went fine. Data Duck isn't shaking and staring off into the middle distance.

Really though, even at a low level these gyms are no joke. A low level Miltank is still nasty, especially when you haven't got anything that resists it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hoo boy that was a lot longer than I had expected, a whole 9 pages in Open Office. Goldenrod City is pretty dense in terms of additions.
We can also go anywhere that we want now and there are a couple of options that I'm considering

A) Hitting up Pewter City and heading through Mount Moon

B) Going to Lavender Town and then making our way over to Saffron City.

C) Making our way through the forest and heading to Azalea Town

Testekill fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jan 9, 2022

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Man, starting out in Goldenrod City, rather than some hut in the middle of nowhere seems kind of broken.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Good thing you don't need much luck to win at Voltorb Flip. It's almost entirely a skill-based puzzle game, only occasionally do you have to take a guess.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Testekill posted:

See? All good. Give it up for conversion 2 saving the day outta nowhere. [spoiler]that was actually very stressful[/img]

Looks like a small bbcode error here.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Testekill posted:

It's kinda funny that the Unown were presented as a big mysterious thing and were the antagonists in the third movie. Then they kinda just got dropped because they're just a gimmick.
The Ruins of Alph always bothered me so much. The game sets up that whole intricate puzzle sequence and implied backstory, but nothing ever comes of it, not even in Crystal. Well, if you don't count the exhilarating opportunity to capture 26 slightly different-looking copies of the same useless Pokémon that you could already capture before doing the puzzle stuff.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

I think all 3 elemental stones were available in Johto, but only in Crystal version and the remakes.
Specific NPCs could randomly give them to you if you had their phone numbers, so not exactly the most intuitive method to get them.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Carpator Diei posted:

The Ruins of Alph always bothered me so much. The game sets up that whole intricate puzzle sequence and implied backstory, but nothing ever comes of it, not even in Crystal. Well, if you don't count the exhilarating opportunity to capture 26 slightly different-looking copies of the same useless Pokémon that you could already capture before doing the puzzle stuff.

Not quite. You had to solve at least one of those puzzles to make them spawn. But it was so weird that nothing came out of it. There's even an ominous radio frequency you could only hear in there. But it's all so pointless.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

My vote is for Pewter City. This game gets rid of the HM roadblocks too right? It looks very solid to me so far

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Espurr? What, no love for Minccino? :cheeky: I kid, but Minccino really is the cutest little OCD cleaning ball of fluff. :v: anyways, I'm partial to Pewter city, so lets take the tiny angry bird halfway across the country!

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Kemix posted:

Espurr? What, no love for Minccino? :cheeky: I kid, but Minccino really is the cutest little OCD cleaning ball of fluff. :v: anyways, I'm partial to Pewter city, so lets take the tiny angry bird halfway across the country!

I do love Minccino and had a skill link Cinccino in Sword that was my primary poo poo wrecker. It's just I feel sorry for Espurr and want to give it a hug because it looks like it's seen some poo poo.

Cyflan posted:

I think all 3 elemental stones were available in Johto, but only in Crystal version and the remakes.
Specific NPCs could randomly give them to you if you had their phone numbers, so not exactly the most intuitive method to get them.

This is true but having to rely on RNG phone calls is not intuitive at all.

Carlosologist posted:

My vote is for Pewter City. This game gets rid of the HM roadblocks too right? It looks very solid to me so far

HM usage is reduced to exploration and finding items. As an example, there are ferries that you can take to Cianwood or New Cinnabar so you don't have to surf to get there.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 10, 2022

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Yeah Goldenrod is one of the stronger starting areas, since you have access to so much.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Ah, Crystal Clear. I've seen a good bit of this elsewhere, but not all that it has to offer. From what I've seen, it's honestly really exceptional in how much it adds without getting out of hand.

I am on board for D A T A D U C K

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

so far these changes seem really good, wow

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
If you start in Cinnibar or Cianwood, how do you, like...

Leave?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

MarquiseMindfang posted:

If you start in Cinnibar or Cianwood, how do you, like...

Leave?

So there's a ferry you can ride for free that goes between Cianwood and Olivine. Cinnabar is similar but we'll get into it once we check it out since there are two Cinnabar Islands now.

biosterous posted:

so far these changes seem really good, wow

You have to appreciate the restraint that ShockSlayer has shown. The bane of most 3rd gen hacks is feature creep and wanting to have everything from every official game in it. A lot of changes have been made but it's mostly just additional quests or ways to obtain pokemon. So yes, it is a new thing but it's fundamentally Crystal.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 10, 2022

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

So it looks like we're off to Pewter City next, Pokemon featured in the surrounding areas include so if you have a nickname that you'd like me to give them

The Caterpie Line
The Weedle Line
Pidgey
Pikachu
Rattata
Mareep
Ekans
Sandshrew

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

sandshrew named THE BOY so you can DEPLOY THE BOY thank you

Adbot