Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

biosterous posted:

sandshrew named THE BOY so you can DEPLOY THE BOY thank you

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I would like a Mareep named The Sheeple, if you would be so kind

:emptyquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

An Ekans named PALE SNK since I’ve been watching Jojo dubbed

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I would like a Mareep named The Sheeple, if you would be so kind

All in on Mareep, too, but can you call it Coldplay, because when it's evolved, it's all yellow?

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

please call any pikachu you may find... goku.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

biosterous posted:

sandshrew named THE BOY so you can DEPLOY THE BOY thank you

^ This

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Lets get ourselves a Rattata and name it Joey so it can be the TOP PERCENTAGE of all Rattata!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Carlosologist posted:

An Ekans named PALE SNK since I’ve been watching Jojo dubbed

also a pikachu pls and thank you; I don't think enough pokemon players actually use the mascot.

I do say that one change that's pretty much a requirement for me to play a romhack is the implementation of the phys/special split; so many pokemon are just kinda hosed statwise without it. Natures? Abilities? Meh. but you gotta have the phys/special split.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Kemix posted:

Lets get ourselves a Rattata and name it Joey so it can be the TOP PERCENTAGE of all Rattata!

this has my vote

FlamingRok
Jan 14, 2013

The ultimate power is clearly roses.
I can dig both Rattata and Sandshrew, very good boys/girls

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Leraika posted:

also a pikachu pls and thank you; I don't think enough pokemon players actually use the mascot.

I do say that one change that's pretty much a requirement for me to play a romhack is the implementation of the phys/special split; so many pokemon are just kinda hosed statwise without it. Natures? Abilities? Meh. but you gotta have the phys/special split.
One goal of Shockslayer is to make sure that hack remains compatible with official Pokemon games. So if you want link up Crystal Clear to any Gen 2 Pokemon game and trade or battle with them you can. Thus the lack of Physical/Special Split.

Honestly with the additions to movesets via tutors it's not that onerous. Mixed sets are actually more viable in Gen 2 anyways

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship
I'm in on mareep, too, but I propose the name Dolly, after the cloned sheep.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
i respect the dedication to canon gen 2, but it hurts a lot of pokemon, like every single bug-type and most steel-types

but there is funny stuff like petal dance pikachu available

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Have you ever dunked on a man so hard that you had to do it twice?

Our next stop on our tour is Pewter City, the plan here is to work our way over to Cerulean City and make a decision from there.

Wha?

quote:

Hello, this is the official POKEMON LEAGUE OFFICE. Congratulations, Green! You've completed your very first GYM CHALLENGE! You're now on your way to the POKEMON LEAGUE! We've updated your account to reflect your new BADGE, and we'll call to update you every time you complete a GYM CHALLENGE. You'll find that having more BADGES will expand your selection at any local POKEMART. You currently have 1 badge. KANTO trainers can visit one of PROF OAK's AIDES over on route 10 for a FLASHY gift! JOHTO trainers may want to visit the famed SPROUT TOWER in VIOLET CITY.

yes I transcribed this poo poo.  You can thankfully stop these by calling them up. :getout:

Welcome to sunny Pewter City, home of a museum and literally nothing else. It's easily the town that got the least changes with only one notable addition.

The fat man in the Pokemon Centre is looking to trade his Natu for a Gastly. He normally does Xatu for Haunter so I don't know if he scales with badges as well.

That sounds really cute and I want to see it!

This guy used to wander around spraying piss or repels on his flowers to keep bug Pokemon away.

Oh I hope that place sells Nintendo 64s.

Damage boosting held items for sale! A 10% boost isn't a ton but Gen II didn't have the sheer numbers of held items from later games so they're appealing.

This house has an addition

If you see a sign like this either inside or outside of a residence then you can move in. The real estate agent is RANDY loving SAVAGE which is cool. In this case we move into the basement.

20k is far too much for us though.

A couple of berry trees, berries aren't anything special yet as the only worthwhile one is the mysteryberry.

We'll just let ourselves in the back way.

I didn't even sneak, I just walked in.

SNEAKILY

As many vets know, the Old Amber gives us Aerodactyl. Funnily enough the fossil isn't even needed to get it since you can catch fossil pokemon in the wild.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ENmME9RoVg

It's hard to vibe with the fact that Pokemon is in the real world in the first two gens. I am aware that Kanto is based on Kanto of all things and Johto is based on Kansai but it's so weird.

But that's a good thing, it means she likes it

:3:

Right? what is so special about them? I'm going to start buying moon stones so I can huck them through peoples windows.

Directly to the south of Pewter City is Route 2 as per usual.

HP: 30 | ATK: 30 | DEF: 30 | SP.ATK: 30 | SP.DEF: 30 | SPD: 30 | TOTAL: 180

Sunkern is trash, the weakest Pokemon in the game. It's not unusably bad when it evolves but it's still awful.

Was tossing up between that and Sanders. We all knew where I was going.

HP: 45 | ATK: 30 | DEF: 35 | SP.ATK: 20 | SP.DEF: 20 | SPD: 45 | TOTAL: 195

Caterpie is an early, 3 stage bug evolution. I don't even know what to say about it. The final evolution got a gigantamax form in gen 8 which is neat but it was never good, people really only like it is because the episode of the anime where Ash lets it go was really sad. It's better than Sunkern though.

It's based on a Swallowtail Butterfly Caterpillar, I'm not being gross.

HP: 40 | ATK: 45 | DEF: 40 | SP.ATK: 35 | SP.DEF: 35 | SPD: 56 | TOTAL: 251

Pidgey is a route 1 bird. While the Taillow & Starly lines are threatening when fully evolved, Pidgey ends up a physical attacker that is really only moderately fast. It got a Mega evolution because it's always been a fan favourite but it's never been respectable otherwise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd845A3_Cgg

What is old is new again. Viridian Forest wasn't in gen II because of space issues. It's fundamentally the same outside of two things.

You're three gens too early kid.

HP: 40 | ATK: 35 | DEF: 30 | SP.ATK: 20 | SP.DEF: 20 | SPD: 50 | TOTAL: 195

Weedle is the counterpart to Caterpie. Whereas Caterpie is a Swallowtail caterpillar, Weedle is a wasp larvae. Beedrill is cooler than Butterfree and it got a terrifying mega evolution. NEXT

Buzzta Rhymes

Hey it's the mascot.

HP: 35| ATK: 55 | DEF: 40 | SP.ATK: 50 | SP.DEF: 50 | SPD: 90 | TOTAL: 320

There's a reason why there are so many PikaClones and it's the mascot of the entire series. Pikachu is cute as hell although I do miss it being a little fatty.

This is for you ItohRespectArmy.

Same Pokeball on the ground and everything.

Don't think I don't see you there.

It's not Bug Pokemon that they don't like, it's just you. Like, you specifically.

Both forests have gotten a weird tree as static encounters.

Curses, foiled again. The game has static encounters on certain days which are a good way to find rare Pokemon but they're generally a little more out of the way to reward exploration. Once we pick up a rod we can fish up Magikarp, Horsea and Dratini.

And that's basically Viridian Forest. It's essentially the same outside of the body of water.

We head back to Pewter City to heal and what's this? The three tutors added in by ShockSlayer are accessible from the PC once you find them? Don't mind if I do.

I'll remind you that we can only make him more bullshit. :allears:

Excuse me ma'am, I already know what I'm doing.

Sister Pikablu, I knew you'd come

Could've just let me pass but no.

As to be expected, you can encounter Diglett and Dugtrio in Diglett's Cave. Nothing else.

HP: 10| ATK: 55 | DEF: 25 | SP.ATK: 35 | SP.DEF: 45 | SPD: 95 | TOTAL: 265

Diglett is extremely fast and can cause a bit of trouble once evolved. It's a little whack-a-mole. It's also famous for having the lowest HP stat in the game after Shedinja.

Pooka is one of the enemies in Dig Dug.

Mega Drain is significantly stronger than absorb. It's not soloing the gym but The Kernel can do some work.

poo poo, I can't run away from you.

BORT! SMOKE BOMB!

Pfft, tail whip? I'm not basic.

Okay, I'm a little basic.

The two most famous things about Pewter are the museum and Brock using rock Pokemon.

I know it's just a pune or play on words but it reads like they're just calling him merely adequate.

Goku & the Kernel are at level 11 and 10 respectively, I think we're ready for whatever Brock can throw at us. DATA DUCK can also throw some bombs with flamethrower.

You're really rocking! Are you battling the GYM LEADERS? They're strong and dedicated people.

The trainers of this gym use rock-type Pokemon. The rock-type has high defense. Battles could end up going a long time. Are you ready for this?

Only one other trainer in here, he's got a Diglett and Sandshrew. Which means he's a goddamn liar.

Our tactic is to just Petal Dance through his team.

The only reason why my health is so low is because Diglett and Sandshrew are buttholes that spam sand attack. Not a threat otherwise

I'm an expert on rock-type Pokemon. My Pokemon are impervious to most physical attacks. You'll have a hard time inflicting any damage. COME ON!

Brock put a shirt on like a coward.

In hindsight we didn't even need to put Geodude to sleep since a single petal dance knocks him out.

Onix has always been a paper tiger, it looks scary but it's just kinda pathetic.

Are you though?

8 damage off of a tackle would be a little scary if we didn't have a super effective hit but not even a crit would have knocked us out.

I don't think we needed that crit, Onix melts when hit with a water or grass attack.

And we didn't even have to turn on the sprinkler system.

Your Pokémon's powerful attacks overcame my rock-hard defense. You're stronger than I expected. Go ahead- take this badge.

Clear, thanks. I enjoyed battling you, even though I am a bit upset. You're a pretty powerful trainer. This TM will help you become even more powerful.

I had forgotten that Brock gave this away in gen 2. :getin:

Just wait and see, I'm going to become a lot stronger too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqydX_rCJ54

This feels really underwhelming.

No... nope gently caress that. I'm not happy with this win. It just doesn't feel right to trivalise a boss like that.

The trainer uses the same team, just two levels stronger.

I was just here but okay.

Geodude gets rolled by a couple of mega drains.

Brock is supposedly smarter but uses bide and the Kernel is able to two shot Onix.

Brock's final Pokemon is Rhyhorn. It's a little more dangerous.

His stomps are dangerous and bring The Kernel low but all it takes are two mega drains.

So I solo'd Brock twice in a row, once with a Pikachu and the other with a Sunkern.

The piss sprayer gives us the squirt bottle for our troubles. We can get a weird, almost pseudo tree if we want.

Our next target is Mt. Moon and then Cerulean City. We'll then figure things out from there

---------------------------

I kinda had to replay that gym just to see if even the disgustingly weak Sunkern could do it. To be fair, Brock did throw by using bide but mega drain was restoring a lot of health.

When we hit the big milestones (8 and 16) I plan on re-challenging the gyms that I've already beaten.

Also if you have a better name for something that I had to come up with then it's only a short jaunt over to the name rater. The only name that I truly have dibs on is Mankey and that's because I always call it Furious George.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

let this be a lesson to you all, do not dance with the goku in the pale moonlight

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Pooka?

Pooka!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I demand that you keep that Sunkern in your team forever and never evolve it. It's so cute. Let's see what other bosses it can solo.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I'm glad you're getting some use out of Sunkern. Sunflora is one of my favorites. Did they make any balancing changes to stats or just moveset changes?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

dude789 posted:

I'm glad you're getting some use out of Sunkern. Sunflora is one of my favorites. Did they make any balancing changes to stats or just moveset changes?

It'll just be moveset changes, I don't think they updated any BST's to gen 6. It only has one relevant tutor but that's also the one that can give the most changes.

edit: Decided to just quickly check the tutor as both Sunkern & Sunflora. Interestingly enough it picks up a lot of fire moves, morning sun and light screen. Certainly something to work with there. The most interesting thing is that Goku can get all of the elemental punches.

edit 2: Now that I think of it; a Sunflora with morning sun, sunny day, flamethrower and solarbeam would be respectable although probably too frail to set up the sun while staying in.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jan 12, 2022

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

drat pikachu got four moveslot syndrome bad

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Leraika posted:

drat pikachu got four moveslot syndrome bad

It also gets belly drum so it's a shame there's no physical/special split.

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008
What is the TM that you got from Brock? I might be stupid and just don’t see it.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Oh this looks pretty neat. Nice to see a pokemon hack that just wants you to enjoy it.

FlamingRok
Jan 14, 2013

The ultimate power is clearly roses.

New Wave Jose posted:

What is the TM that you got from Brock? I might be stupid and just don’t see it.

If it's vanilla, it's Earthquake, also known as really loving good

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

I wish Sunflora was more interesting.
Like if it was Grass/Fire or something.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
I thought Erika and Jasmine were the only Kanto Gym Leaders to give out TMs in GSC :psyduck:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Goku is of course the strongest member of the team.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Are TMs one-use or multi-use?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Upcoming unclaimed Pokemon in Mount Moon

Geodude
Zubat
Clefairy
Cleffa
Magikarp
Paras

Upcoming unclaimed Pokemon in route 4

Natu
Wooper

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Are TMs one-use or multi-use?

They are one use. However, the TM selection at the department stores eventually offers every single one once you have gotten enough badges. So while we might want to be smart about TM usage in the early days, we'll eventually be able to just do whatever we want.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

:wooper:

JeffRaze
Mar 13, 2021
Consider this a vote for a Wooper named Trooper

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Testekill posted:

They are one use. However, the TM selection at the department stores eventually offers every single one once you have gotten enough badges. So while we might want to be smart about TM usage in the early days, we'll eventually be able to just do whatever we want.

Thats a neat compromise, I suppose. Are there Nidoran around Pewter City in this game? If you get Earthquake from Brock, Nidoking + EQ breaks the entire game lol

Wooper named Havlat :havlat:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
A Geodude named GeoThatGuy because 12 year old me thinks he's hilarious

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Paras named Cordy.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
A Magikarp named Mewtwo, just to gently caress with people.

And I wish we could geht this one somehow:
https://twitter.com/rceezus/status/1481051310221062144

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Paras named Cordy.

+1 for this

Also zubat named Bruce

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

CzarChasm posted:

+1 for this

Also zubat named Bruce

The only acceptable name for a Zubat is Kaiketsu :colbert:

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Putting in a 2nd vote for a Zubat named Bruce

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Serperoth posted:

The only acceptable name for a Zubat is Kaiketsu :colbert:

you mean ASUKAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008
A Clefairy named Bob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Buckle in folks, this was a long one.

-----
In the name of the Moon

So with all that over and done with, we're moving on from Pewter City. Route 3 up to Mt. Moon is more or less unchanged.

Actually not quite, we're going to run through Brock a little more with Goku so that we can purchase a Light Ball. The Light Ball in gen 2 doubles Pikachu's special attack, this was because children would try and replicate Ash's team and get frustrated because a Pikachu isn't very strong. It's still frail with a light ball but it's much more potent offensively, it trades this power boost for the ability to evolve.

Shouldn't have bothered then. Youngsters are nothing special, they just use com-mons and are rarely if ever a threat.

Firebreathers mostly use fire types, this guy uses a Magby and a Koffing.

HP: 30 | ATK: 56 | DEF: 35 | SP.ATK: 25 | SP.DEF: 35 | SPD: 72 | TOTAL: 253

Rattata is the classic first route rodent, it's helpful in the early stages but falls off around midgame. Getting hyper fang at a low level is good though, getting a powerful STAB move early on does make it very usable.

Kemix is hoping that Joey is in the top percent of rats.

HP: 35 | ATK: 60 | DEF: 44 | SP.ATK: 40 | SP.DEF: 54 | SPD: 55 | TOTAL: 288

Did you know that Rellik is Killer spelled backwards? Wait wrong thing to be referencing. Ekans is a pure poison snake, it became a bit better in gen 3 when it picked up the incredibly powerful Intimidate ability but sadly the little snek dude is just a bit nothing.

I haven't actually gotten to Stone Ocean yet, there's a massive backlog of poo poo that I want to get to but haven't. I do know that Jolyne is cool as hell though. I hope that Carlosologist is enjoying it.

HP: 50 | ATK: 75 | DEF: 85 | SP.ATK: 20 | SP.DEF: 30 | SPD: 40 | TOTAL: 300

Sandshrew is a bulky little armadillo and is very cute. I think I prefer the Aloan form because it looks like it's wearing a parka that is a bit too big for it. A fine little dude either way

The boy may be a girl but biosterous knows that gender is not binary.

I can't believe they added someone in just to make a king of the hill joke.

HP: 55 | ATK: 40 | DEF: 40 | SP.ATK: 65 | SP.DEF: 45 | SPD: 35 | TOTAL: 280

Mareep is aight, slow but a strong special attacker that is reasonably bulky. It's not catchable in vanilla Crystal which is very frustrating. It really got a shot in the arm when the final evolution got a mega form in gen 6.

Rabbi Raccoon says it'll be worth it when TheSheeple wakes up.

So this trainer actually gave me a little shock

Excuse me?

First of all, how dare you.

I mean that's fair enough but also what even is this dude?

That wasn't even the nastiest trainer this update.

I love deals, I bought a monkey picture! I'd be really upset if that was a scam.

Okay so I didn't want to say anything when Carpator Diei suggested Mewtwo. Also this is a guaranteed shiny, not a random one.

HP: 20 | ATK: 10 | DEF: 55 | SP.ATK: 15 | SP.DEF: 20 | SPD: 80 | TOTAL: 200

Magikarp is bad but it's amazing when it evolves. I'm sure that hasn't been said a million times, it's based on a Chinese folktale about how carp that leap over the Dragon Gate would become dragons. It's an iconic critter of the series.

Apparently it was voted the worst place in Kanto.

HP: 40 | ATK: 80 | DEF: 100 | SP.ATK: 30 | SP.DEF: 30 | SPD: 20 | TOTAL: 300

Geodude is a rock with arms, it's kinda just another example of how weird Pokemon could be while still clearly being based on something.

We all have dumb names that we can't help but have a giggle about Rabbi Raccon

What are this lot up to?

Oh hello little fella

Take a look at this spot on the ground. Do you see these indentations in the dirt?

As an Ace trainer, part of my job is to keep an eye on the local wildlife as I patrol the region. Did you know that your pokedex can actually scan in footprints like these? Give it a try the next time you see something like that. But be careful... that Pokemon might still be nearby!

Are... are Ace trainers supposed to be Pokemon Rangers?

Scanning footprints is a new addition and it's great way to find rare Pokemon. It's not guaranteed that you'll find a Pokemon but it at least gives you the seen data.

I believe this set of footprints is always a Cleffa that will attack you.

HP: 50 | ATK: 25 | DEF: 28 | SP.ATK: 45 | SP.DEF: 55 | SPD: 15 | TOTAL: 218

Cleffa is a baby Pokemon, baby Pokemon are almost always awful. The only remotely usable ones are Magby, Elekid and Smoochum.

He's a motherfucking Starboy

Aw poo poo, it's a bat.

HP: 40 | ATK: 45 | DEF: 35 | SP.ATK: 30 | SP.DEF: 40 | SPD: 55 | TOTAL: 245

Zubat is one of the most obnoxious Pokemon in the series. It also evolves into Crobat, an objectively amazing Pokemon.
Golbat is... Golbat is certainly something.

I did like Serperoth's suggestion for Kaiketsu but I ended up just going with Bruce

So we want to go down this ladder. While the area it initially leads us to isn't anything new, we gotta go through here to reach a location that we really want to check out.

Mt. Moon Square is where you could get a moon stone via a repeatable event in vanilla gen 2.

Hello again Tiko!

There's a strong connection to the moon in this area. That's what makes it Mt. Moon, after all. So I'm here to train with my Pokemon under the moonlight! Or sometimes I'll come out here to practice drawing. I don't have much else to do between missions!

Tiko is the first of the OC's that we can fight. Their teams are generally a bit more tweaked and will always have at least one shiny Pokemon with a nickname.

Oh this doesn't bode well for Kenya.

Mareep throws around thundershocks, thunder waves and Iron Tails. It's not especially threatening but Iron Tail is a surprising counter if you lead off with Geodude.

Cyndaquil sets up sunny day. Goku can take care of it with a few thundershocks.

Pebbles is Tiko's ace. Of course a Larvitar has a crippling weakness to water and grass so it goes down quick since it's not a Rock/Dark type yet.

Misdreavus is more obnoxious than anything else. It puts you to sleep, tries to confuse you and uses the absolutely awful psywave which could desynch link battles in gen 1. It's also bulky enough that it can eat two petal dances.

Oddish isn't too bad, it's just a weak grass type.

Oh. So that's why Cyndaquil leads off with sunny day, it's so Oddish can then wreck face with 1 turn solarbeams.

We're down to a paralyzed DATA DUCK with 7 HP left.

I don't think I have to tell you how this went down. Trainers like Tiko are designed to be tough, I'll be able to handle her team with a couple of levels and actually knowing what she has going into this fight, a lot of problems could have been averted by not leading with Kenya.

Just going to avoid you for now. We want to head through this cave here all the way to the end.

I think Lemon is a free range Swinub.

Surprise, there's another segment of route 3.

Acetrainer HQ is where the Ace Trainers work and live. As I said before, it seems like they're turned into Pokemon Rangers.

They have little Swinub roombas doing cleaning.

This woman is trading her Wobuffet for a Wooper. Wobbers is a fairly rare encounter in Dark Cave so we might resort to this trade instead.

Upstairs we can rent a room for a whopping 60k. Hopefully there are some hidden items or something in there because that's a fair chunk of change.

Two locked rooms. I don't know who Robert & Ryan are but they're probably important.

A lake where we can fish and surf.

Now this is what I've been waiting for since the start.

What's your name? ...Clear, right? Wait, how'd you get in here? The door, huh? That makes sense. Welcome to my LAB. I was asked to stop calling it my SCIENCE LAIR.

Grizz is one of those characters where being aloof yet wacky is their whole persona.

I maintain the online tutor databases for both KANTO and JOHTO, y'know. The server is right over there. Don't mess with it. It's touchy. The BATTLE TUTOR is something that I came up with. A lot of POKEMON are suited for moves that, for some reason, they normally can't learn themselves. TMs are one way to give POKEMON new moves using technology. So I used these same principles, but on a much grander scale! This'll give them an edge in battle, or help them with other things

The Battle Tutor is essentially ShockSlayer going “I think it would be cool if these Pokemon could use these moves” and it goes a long way to improving movesets.

Kenya learns how to lay explosives.

The Kernel is ready to fry some things and heal up. I opt for Morning Sun instead of waiting for Synthesis because Synthesis isn't learned until the 30s and I'm not keeping The Kernel a Sunkern that long.

Goku learns how to punch real good.

X figures out how to steal poo poo.

THE BOY is ready to fight.

DATA DUCK can't learn flamethrower from the beam tutor but can learn it from the battle tutor.

PALE SNK gets some new moves as well.

We can battle Grizz but that's a bad idea, despite only having four Pokemon his team is even more dangerous than Tiko. We opt instead to fly back to the entrance of Mount Moon and head in from there.

Since there are so many smashable rocks around, we get the TM for it just inside. You can encounter Clefairy, Shuckle or Geodude when smashing rocks.

You can occasionally find stacks of items in the overworld. It's fairly nifty although I honestly never bother with using revives in battles, if a fight is going badly then I'll just go back and try again.

I'm not telling him.

10k is always nice to find.

We found motherfucking Starboy's big brother

HP: 70 | ATK: 45 | DEF: 48 | SP.ATK: 60 | SP.DEF: 65 | SPD: 35 | TOTAL: 323

Clefairy was originally planned to be the series mascot and was even the partner Pokemon in the original manga that never made it to America because it was nasty as gently caress and had way too many jokes about Red's testicles. Ultimately they went with Pikachu; it was felt that Clefairy would appeal too much to girls whereas Pikachu would appeal to both boys and girls.

Of course Bob is a good kid. He would never squish Pikachu's face into a gigantic turd. Or at least New Wave Jose hopes so

Tracks disappear when you have a random encounter, this can make it a little tough to check out some tracks without using a repel.

HP: 35 | ATK: 70 | DEF: 55 | SP.ATK: 45 | SP.DEF: 55 | SPD: 25 | TOTAL: 285

I feel bad for Paras. It's a little cicada that is being taken over by mushrooms that have a mind of their own. It's also cripplingly weak to flying and fire attacks.

Must say that I don't get the reference creole bream.

Chase your dream buddy

Neat, that's 3000 pokebucks saved.

Of course I will never ever use the elixir because what if I need it later on?

Is it weird that I think Zubat is kinda cute in an ugly way? Sometimes there can be animals out there that are cute in an awkward way. Take the Tawny Frogmouth for example.

An animal can be traditionally not cute but still be cute

That does sound very cute though.

Aw man I love floor candy.

Going through the home stretch of Mt. Moon.

I can't tell if that's a hat or hair.

That's a dumb name. I'm going to call you Roll Fizzlebeef when I talk to you.

I came here to train. Seriously! The sheer amount of Pokemon here is good for it! But I've always wondered … How are there craters inside the cave? One of life's great mysteries, I guess.

'tis a mystery to us all.

Oh no, I've had my fill outta original characters-do not steal kicking my rear end.

We get the dig TM which I use on PALE SNK.

It's luckily not that far till we leave.

I'm sure that there are plenty for everyone.

Helix Fossil gives us Omanyte. Much like Aerodactyl, it can be caught in the wild.

It does feel like there are maybe one or two encounters per area you can get via footprints. That's the third set of Clefairy footprints that I've encountered.

TM 19 is giga drain. Going to hold off on teaching it to anyone.

FREE AT LAST

-------------------------------

I didn't expect to get my rear end completely kicked by two opponents this time round. To be fair it was ultimately down to me not knowing what they had going on heading in but the special trainers can be a bit tricksy.

If you want to know what battle tutor moves one of our Pokemon learn then just drop a request in the thread.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 17, 2022