Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
the name cordy is a reference to something kind of horrifying

edit: update on page previous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

What? No! I just wanted to honor my great uncle Cordy, who loved cicadas and mushrooms. Nothing nefarious going on here. In fact, you don't even need to click that link. It will probably just lead you to a bunch of other links and you know how that goes.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jan 17, 2022

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008
Do you have a plan for your team or are you just going with the flow?

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

I'd like to request that if we find a Houndour that we name it nighty for a friend of mine

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I've played this hack before, but it must've been an older version because I do not recognize a bunch of these cool features. Excited to see what other kind of neato shiz is in store!

If you pick up a totodile, please name him/her Stacy.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

sandshrew:THE BOY::becky lynch:The Man

powerful

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I'm making an executive decision about our direction following Cerulean City. We're heading up route 24/25 to what was originally Bill's house and taking the ferry down to New Cinnabar Island. This means that we'll have the following unclaimed encounters coming up

- Abra
- Bellsprout
- Oddish
- Natu
- Miltank
- Lickitung
- Venonat
- Farfetch'd

New Wave Jose posted:

Do you have a plan for your team or are you just going with the flow?

Generally just going with the flow and seeing which mons click and which ones don't.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Our Abra should be Geller

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
a Lickitung named Gengar Bed

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Hrm, I feel like there's a good name you could give to Farfetch'd. Make it Probab'l, maybe?

It was either that or Neardrop'd

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

A Natu named Edel after my starter in a tabletop game :3:

(Natu makes a terrible starter)

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
A Bellsprout named Chris because my friend Chris is going through a rough time and Bellsprout is his favorite.

I really like this so far. I was incredulous at first, as I am of most Pokemon hacks, but I might actually play this one

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Odd Wilson posted:

Hrm, I feel like there's a good name you could give to Farfetch'd. Make it Probab'l, maybe?

It was either that or Neardrop'd

Or name it Negitive :v:

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

I'm gonna request a Miltank named Smacktose.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

So while I'm writing a smaller update to cover Cerulean City itself and the gym, let me leave you with this.

Misty went well and Starmie is very fair and balanced, thanks for asking.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
The battle tutor seems pretty cool.

And I'm requesting a Venonat named Venoneat.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Jade Rider posted:

I'm gonna request a Miltank named Smacktose.

I like this one

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

4. Fair and Balanced©

HP: 55 | ATK: 45 | DEF: 45 | SP.ATK: 25 | SP.DEF: 25 | SPD: 15 | TOTAL: 210

Wooper is an armless axolotl. I love this little fella, it and it's evolution are even dumb enough that they'll bump into boats because they're completely oblivious to most things around them.

I think we all know where JeffRaze got this name from

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSLDD5nroCI

So we made it to Cerulean City, the location of our next gym battle. The city itself is mostly the same, the big differences are in the surrounding routes.

The Bike shop is still here, I'm not actually sure how it works in Crystal Clear since I always get the bike from Goldenrod. I assume that you just go in and get one although it could require you going to the Pokemon FanClub in Vermillion City.

This lady is still struggling with her Slowbro.

Got my eye on you buddy

It has a lot of horribly powerful Pokemon in it.

Big change number 1 for Cerulean City, Cerulean Cave is back. As you can guess who is in there.

This house doesn't offer too much outside of easier access to a new cave. Granted this cave has a lot of good poo poo in it but we can access it as soon as we get surf. 40K is asking a lot as well.

Brianna only has two Goldeen, they're pretty easy prey.

You most certainly are not.

This dude is packing a lot of Horsea. Heh, packing.

HP: 70 | ATK: 55 | DEF: 55 | SP.ATK: 80 | SP.DEF: 60 | SPD: 45 | TOTAL: 365

Alright, our first ever evolution. Flaffy is Mareep but more. It's still a slow special attacker but just a little better than Mareep was.

Only one Psyduck?

Any trainer who wants to turn pro has a policy about Pokemon. What is your approach when you catch Pokemon? My policy is all out offense with water-types!

So I'll preface this by saying that Misty is a far more dangerous opponent than Brock.

Psyduck is a fan favourite but it's nothing special gameplay wise, it has decent special attack but has no way to use that STAB. It seems to be here to be annoying by disabling attacks.

Wooper has a x4 weakness to grass and The Kernel is easily able to drop it with a mega drain.

This is where things start getting difficult. Lapras is a bulky Pokemon overall that can also cause a fair bit of damage.

Oh this does not bode well. Rain Dance boosts damage from water attacks and Lapras is strong enough that it can lead to serious problems.

Aw gently caress, magic pixel.

Your regular reminder that Light Ball Pikachu is still a glass cannon.

At least it can't get worse.

Slam is kind of an awful move. 80 base power is reasonably strong but 75% accuracy is pretty bad. It's essentially a worse version of body slam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF1_MrEMpew

Okay so Starmie is the real poo poo. It's a very fast special sweeper that packs recover and has a huge potential moveset. But I'm sure that the Kernel has this.

Wow dude, you've really gotta step your game up. But Sunkern is a very weak and frail Pokemon so of course an ice beam is going to one shot it.

Surely The Sheeple can eat an attack before hitting back with a STAB thundershock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgIQqr3E40g

Come on PALE SNK, at least stall while I heal.

To be fair you did your job.

Everyone knows that Goku gets stronger after almost dying.

That was a fair chunk but jeez this is getting ominous. Also I imagine that this was the equivalent of landing a huge blast only for the dust to clear and Frieza is just fine

If Goku can't, who will?

Not Kenya, that's for sure.

DATA DUCK is just bulky enough to eat a bubblebeam once the rain finished.

Oh thank you god

It's not a water move but a lot of water-types can use it.

I'm fine. We're fine. We won, that's all that matters.
---------------------------------------------------------

Okay so to be fair, Starmie has always been and will always be a motherfucker. I imagine that it was a brick wall for a lot of kids back in the day.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jan 19, 2022

FlamingRok
Jan 14, 2013

The ultimate power is clearly roses.
Misty was always a step up in difficulty, but Ice Beam and a Lapras Rain setter for the third gym leader? That's really pushing it.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

FlamingRok posted:

Misty was always a step up in difficulty, but Ice Beam and a Lapras Rain setter for the third gym leader? That's really pushing it.

Yeah, but I can never be annoyed with her because she's the OG water type trainer and convinced me that my style, which was pretty much the same as hers (all water all the time) was completely viable.

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0

FlamingRok posted:

i dunno, Testekill still won on his first try and he's definitely using some subpar mons (which is fine, to be clear!) so it's clearly not an insurmountable hurdle

i think what i would have done after taking out Lapras is try to use my own bulky water type to wait out the Rain Dance and then go from there

JeffRaze
Mar 13, 2021
Given they needed to make teams for each leader being encountered at a whole pile of different times in the game I'd be shocked if they were completely balanced. It looks like this fight was hard but certainly not bullshit, so :shrug:

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Imagine how fair the 8 gym or 16 badge remakes are in comparison.

Also yeah the lengths they have gone with this are insane. More so when you realize he found an entire part of the rom that was useless data that he could remove, enabling him to add in tons of new features. I feel the rom restraints are one of the things that do limit alot of the scope creep, because unlike the gba, there isn't really a way to expand the rom and add more room, especially after he removed the junk data that was found.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Yeah Starmie does not mess around.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

5. Gimme dem Nugs

So that's three badges down, that fight got a little scary but there is one thing that we've been able to do for a while now that I think will help.

Back to the store!

Kernel, you did a great job dunking on Brock but you just weren't going to keep up as a Sunkern, therefore it's time for you to evolve.

HP: 75 | ATK: 75 | DEF: 55 | SP.ATK: 105 | SP.DEF: 85 | SPD: 30 | TOTAL: 425

Sunflora is a massive improvement on Sunkern but it's still not great. Gaining some fire attacks thanks to the move tutor does help and if we can get a Solar Beam TM then she's at least got some potent offense with sun boosted flamethrowers & heals or instant solarbeams.

My insecurities.

HP: 60 | ATK: 55 | DEF: 50 | SP.ATK: 40 | SP.DEF: 55 | SPD: 45 | TOTAL: 305

Venonat is a cute little fuzzball. Oddly enough it's associated with psychic trainers so much despite only being bug/poison. I personally would have thought it would've been a prime candidate to get the regional form treatment so that it could be bug/psychic.

OOrochi thinks that Venonat is Venoneat.

HP: 45 | ATK: 50 | DEF: 55 | SP.ATK: 75 | SP.DEF: 65 | SPD: 30 | TOTAL: 320

It's so strange that Gen 1 in particular had so many grass/poison types. The Oddish line is the least exceptional outside of being able to evolve into the pure grass Bellossom. It's bulkier but weaker than Victreebel

So this is one of my nicknames. Gympie-Gympie (pronounced Gimpy-Gimpy) is a plant in Queensland that is infamous for being the most venomous plant in Australia, if you get stung by the barely visible hairs on the plant then the affected area will start to burn and sting which can last for up to a week with the pain being so severe that you are unable to sleep. Essentially it activates the pain receptors and doesn't let it turn back off, even cold water will cause instant blinding pain. People have reported feeling the aftereffects for months afterwards and I'll just say that it being nicknamed the suicide plant is very apt.

You don't want to know how many times I loaded state trying to catch this guy, even with ultra balls it wasn't working.

HP: 25 | ATK: 20 | DEF: 15 | SP.ATK: 105 | SP.DEF: 55 | SPD: 90 | TOTAL: 310

The Abra line was beastly in gen 1, easily the best Pokemon not called Mewtwo. It's fast and extremely strong with its special stat.

Since this is the name that Rody One Half suggested, we might as well get to why it was suggested. Uri Geller is (I don't know if he's still active) an illusionist that is famous for bending spoons with “psychic powers” and got extremely rich over it. His shtick was pretty well known and when Pokemon came it out it featured Kadabra who was a psychic Pokemon that had a bent spoon then the famously litigious Geller saw it as a slight.

To quote Wikipedia

quote:

In November 2000, Geller sued video game company Nintendo for £60 million over the Pokémon species "Yungerer", localized in English as "Kadabra", which he claimed was an unauthorized appropriation of his identity.[86][87] The Pokémon in question has psychic abilities and carries a bent spoon. Geller also claimed that the star on Kadabra's forehead and the lightning patterns on its abdomen are symbolisms popular with the Waffen SS of Nazi Germany.[87] The katakana for the character's name, ユンゲラー, is visually similar to the transliteration of Geller's own name into Japanese (ユリゲラー). He is quoted as saying: "Nintendo turned me into an evil, occult Pokémon character. Nintendo stole my identity by using my name and my signature image."[87] Pokémon anime director and storyboard artist Masamitsu Hidaka confirmed in an interview that Kadabra would not be used on a Pokémon Trading Card until an agreement was reached on the case. In November 2020, Geller issued an apology and agreed to allow cards depicting Kadabra to be printed,[88][89] though the last Kadabra card released was in the Skyridge e-Reader set (2002/2003).[90]

Kadabra has not appeared in the card game since 2003, the set that came out in 2007 was the final appearance of Abra who had an attack that allowed it to evolve directly into Alakazam. Kadabra's last appearance in the anime was back in 2006 but it's not really a surprise for some Pokemon to just never appear again since there are so many of them.

HP: 50 | ATK: 75 | DEF: 35 | SP.ATK: 70 | SP.DEF: 30 | SPD: 40 | TOTAL: 300

Bellsprout is cool, it's a pitcher plant that eventually turns into a pitcher plant that eats people. I much prefer the Bellsprout line to Oddish.

Hope your friend is doing alright Rabbi Raccon.

:ssh: I had to come back another time for Miltank and Natu since they're day encounters.

HP: 40 | ATK: 50 | DEF: 45 | SP.ATK: 70 | SP.DEF: 45 | SPD: 70 | TOTAL: 210

Natu is a cute little dude with a bad learnset, that's about all I have to say about it and it's honestly a pretty common thing in the early generations. Its evolution is a mix between a parrot and a Native American totem.

I've watched MaDryBread beat a gen 2 game using only Natu so I absolutely believe it's an awful choice of starter Leraika.

Miltank is quite a pain to catch, good thing I had a lot of money to spend on great balls.

HP: 95 | ATK: 80 | DEF: 105 | SP.ATK: 40 | SP.DEF: 70 | SPD: 100 | TOTAL: 490

Stop me if you've heard this but Miltank is a cow. Whitney's Miltank is one of the most hated Pokemon in the entire series just because you're not capable of fighting it unless you caught Geodude or Gastly. Man it'd really suck if her Miltank had the Scrappy ability in the remakes.

Superb name though, A+ stuff from Jade Rider.

We mosey up to route 25 and find some tracks

Did you know that Farfetch'D has a garbage catch rate as well?

HP: 52 | ATK: 65 | DEF: 55 | SP.ATK: 58 | SP.DEF: 62 | SPD: 60 | TOTAL: 352

Sometimes a Pokemon is a freak of nature and sometimes it's a duck wielding a leek. Farfetch'D is based on the Japanese saying “A duck comes bearing green onions" which is about an unusual but convenient event because duck goes great with spring onions. Farfetch'D is pretty bad but he got an evolution in gen 8 where he's got a bigger leek, angry eyebrows and is rad as hell.

You can't use apostrophes in gen 2 so we had to make do with a comma, sorry about that Odd Wilson.

The Nugget bridge brigade has reunited, recruited some more dudes and moved to Celadon Cape. None of them are really notably strong.

Schoolboy Dudley only has an Oddish.

Lass Ellen has a Jigglypuff and a Snubbull.

Schoolboy Joe has Tangela and a surprise Vaporeon out of nowhere

Lass Laura has a Pidgeotto and two Oddishes.

Camper Lloyd has Nidorino

Lass Shannon has nothing but 3 Paras.... Parases.... Parasi

Super Nerd Pat has his own Porygon. He hoped to catch us napping but these guys are nothing.

HP: 65 | ATK: 90 | DEF: 65 | SP.ATK: 61 | SP.DEF: 61 | SPD: 100 | TOTAL: 442

During this whole shebang Kenya evolves into a Fearow. Fearow is much cooler than Pidgeot, don't even @ me.

I'll take the money.

Kevin is a little more difficult than the others but not by much.

Rhyhorn is easy prey to the Kernel.

Get it together PALE SNK

He has two of the three Kanto starters but that's about all that is interesting.

You can rechallenge as much as you want so it's a good source of money although I don't think it's better than rematching gyms with an amulet coin. considering you'll get more XP from the gyms.

What is really interesting is up these stairs.

What's that? Bill has a garden? That's usually blocked off and inacessible but if we go all the way around then there's a way to go down.

Right next to the ferry is a cliff that you can jump down. And if you interact with the back of the house well....

Nice. This special, shiny Pikachu has perfect DVs, comes holding a water stone and knows surf and flash so naturally I catch it. It even evolves into a blue Raichu.

Bill's grandpa is house sitting for him. He wants us to show him a Lickitung but I'm having zero luck with the 1% encounter rate. You can trade something for it elsewhere which might be the go.

You can move into Bill's basement for 10k. We're actually going to do this because there's a benefit to it.

All we have to do is look under here and we can pick up the visitor pass. So before we take the ferry, we're going to take an extremely short detour in Saffron City.

We're only here to hit up Silph Co. We also have a Fearow sprite on the map screen which is a cool detail.

We gain access to the second floor via mistaken identity but before we head up, we've gotta talk to him again.

But since you came such a long way, have this neat little souvenir.

It's Silph Co.'s latest product. It's not for sale yet.

The Upgrade evolves Porygon. We could have actually gotten it as soon as we started the game.

Upstairs is pretty hosed up, very messy.

The only thing is this computer that we of course play with.

This event is how you can catch your own Porygon so you don't even have to buy it at the Game Center.

Now back to Cerulean Cape

Gotta do something.

Once you have two gym badges you can get the ferry pass, this lets you travel for free. The one from Cianwood to Olivine is always free to new trainers so you don't have to be too worried about money.

We can take the Ferry from Cerulean Cape to Olivine City, Cianwood City or New Cinnabar Island.

Hell yeah!

We're going to want to head through this door next to us but there are two exits to the Ferry wharf.

We can go through the door on the right, this puts us out onto Route 19 which is connected to Fuchsia City.

This shop sells snacks, easy access to buying large volumes of these items is very nifty because they're a little better than the potions that they're compared to.

It's like there wasn't a volcano eruption at all.

There's also original, great taste Cinnabar Island.

----------------------------------------
New Cinnabar Island
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OwN7eYZseI

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Testekill posted:

During this whole shebang Kenya evolves into a Fearow. Fearow is much cooler than Pidgeot, don't even @ me.

correct

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I mean I don't know about you guys but I'd rather have a chill-as-hell giant bird around than one that'd peck me through the face given half a chance

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I honestly forgot about Kadabra's spoon, and didn't know Geller sued to start with lol

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Pikablu :allears:

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

pikabLEU is REAAAAAAAAAAAL

that'll show you, timmy, from the school playground

(I love that they actually did this though. It's great. :golfclap:)

JeffRaze
Mar 13, 2021
Haha, oh man Pikablu!

They seem to have done it well too, it's a really fun easter egg that does give you an advantage but not remotely gamebreaking. That's fun times.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
I think the only thing that is gamebreaking is the romhackers personal thing he put in, everything else is just super nice and love letters to old rumors

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Huh. So what happens if you trade Pikablu over to one of the real games? Does it just revert to a normal-color Pikachu, or maybe a shiny one? Or is it not even possible to trade it it over?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
This is quite fun. Gen 2 is definitely my favorite generation of Pokémon games and I am sort of excited to see what else they changed and little bits they added.

FlamingRok
Jan 14, 2013

The ultimate power is clearly roses.

serefin99 posted:

Huh. So what happens if you trade Pikablu over to one of the real games? Does it just revert to a normal-color Pikachu, or maybe a shiny one? Or is it not even possible to trade it it over?

Seeing that this game is supposed to be compatible with Pokemon Stadium 2, I believe it'd be possible to trade it around. It'd appear as a normal Pikachu/Raichu in that game (well okay it'd be a slightly different color but that's because Stadium would recognize it as a nickname) as shininess is determined by specific DVs (not all perfect, I think it's supposed to be Defense, Speed, and Special DVs are all 10 and then Attack is some wacky random values that don't let female starters be shiny) in Gen 2. Now as to what would happen if it's traded away and then back to Crystal Clear I have no clue.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

FlamingRok posted:

(not all perfect, I think it's supposed to be Defense, Speed, and Special DVs are all 10 and then Attack is some wacky random values that don't let female starters be shiny)

2, 3, 6, 7, 10, 11, 14 or 15.

And it's not just starters, it's any species with a 7:1 gender ratio, because the females can't have an Attack IV higher than 1.

Also only I and V (heh, what a coincidence) Unown can be shiny.

And apparently Pokemon with the same Defence IV can't breed in gen 2, so you can't breed two shinies together.

These games were such a shitshow. Like goddamn. You can really tell why they stopped using IVs to check for shininess.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I believe that you just require a Pikachu with perfect DVs and the nickname Pikablu for it to be coloured blue. So if you traded one with perfect DVs and named it Pikablu then it would turn blue in Crystal Clear.

As FlamingRok said it'll be a slightly different coloured Pikachu in Stadium 2

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Oh my god, the Pikablu :allears: I absolutely loved Pokemon rumors in grade school.

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
oh, it just clicked with me that the game uses the individualized sprites like Gen 3 onward instead of the generic ones the official Gen 2 games used. did they do all that spritework themselves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

A lot of encounters opening up so a lot of chances to name a mon.

New Cinnabar

Mantine
Tentacool
Corsola
Shuckle
Staryu
Krabby
Aerodactyl
Omanyte

Cinnabar

Magby
Slugma
Charmander
Growlithe
Vulpix
Koffing
Grimer
Cyndaquil
Shellder
Ditto

Chloe Jessica posted:

oh, it just clicked with me that the game uses the individualized sprites like Gen 3 onward instead of the generic ones the official Gen 2 games used. did they do all that spritework themselves?

Near as I can tell the team made the sprites, I looked online and it doesn't look like there are Gen 2 spritesheets for RPG Maker which would have been what I'd have expected to be used.

Jade Rider posted:

Oh my god, the Pikablu :allears: I absolutely loved Pokemon rumors in grade school.

I had a similar reaction when I saw it pointed out online, just a big old smile.