Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Ignore this post, it's just a pointless one so that the update can be on a new page.

edit: turns out I didn't need this post, gently caress me I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

8. Entering the Zone

I just wanted to show that it isn't a generic Pokemon when you fly, it's good stuff.

Since I can't really keep it a secret, Crystal Clear bought back the Safari Zone. It's different in that you use your own pokeballs and mons to battle so it's not 1 for 1 like it originally was, this is a good thing mind you. It sucked trying to find a rare mon and it would run as soon as you threw some bait.

The house this woman is standing outside of teleports us to the location with the name rater & move reminder/deleter.

Next door is another building housing the extended Bill family.

We'll wait to fight Janine since there's an entire safari zone to explore and this is going to be a loving huge update thanks to the encounters.

He's finally back from his trip, so he's stocked up on rare items for the Safari Zone. He bought too much so he gave me this great big box of stuff! I don't need all of it, so if you see something you like, please feel free to take it. My treat!

This is one of the ways to get surf. While it's not necessary for progression through the game it's vital for exploration.

30k, I'll save state before buying just so I don't waste money if it ends up being nothing much in there.

House is pretty bog standard, we can fish and surf in the pond for the usual encounters. Overall pretty meh.

He may have come home from his big trip, but he still travels a lot. If you're looking for the gate, it's just behind this building.

Always look in bins.

But then he left, and nobody's heard from him. I think he's out training in some place called Ho-Oh end? Hmm, that doesn't sound right.

Our favourite ferry.

A dragon and a snake. I'm happy that Onix is loving huge but Gyarados would be around the same size.

The Mascot of the Fighting Mums

BIG BOY

An ordinary tree

Let's do it to it. 500 pokebucks, use our own Pokemon and balls.

First up is the entrance area, we're going to do a counter clockwise circuit through the Safari zone.
Each area has a building where the warden inside tells you what are some of the pokemon that can be found in that area.

HP: 55 | ATK: 47 | DEF: 52 | SP.ATK: 40 | SP.DEF: 40 | SPD: 41 | TOTAL: 275

The Nido lines look like poison rabbits and are pretty good; once evolved they give you an early powerhouse that has a wide movepool. Nidoqueen is the bulkier of the two final evolutions

PEOPLE CALL ME ELF MONSTER

HP: 46 | ATK: 57 | DEF: 40 | SP.ATK: 40 | SP.DEF: 40 | SPD: 50 | TOTAL: 273

Take what I said before and paste it here, Nidoking is the more offensive of the two. Both are reliable options though.

Hail to the king baby.

That's a very nice pickup, the lucky egg boosts the XP that the pokemon holding it gets. Once a mon is strong enough to run through a gym while grinding then it'll seriously cut down on the time required to get them up to speed.

I'm so glad they never bought this mechanic back for a mainline game, Cubone has a 50% chance of fleeing and that is absolutely infuriating.

HP: 105 | ATK: 95 | DEF: 80 | SP.ATK: 40 | SP.DEF: 80 | SPD: 90 | TOTAL: 490

Kangaskhan is a mutant kangaroo, I'm sure that most of us opted to get it by evolving 'M like madmen. I will say that Kangaroos sleep on their side in reality and not standing up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EnsUeR2MyI

Get in there you little bastard, you know how long I ran back and forth trying to get an encounter that didn't run away when I dropped them to half health?

HP: 50 | ATK: 50 | DEF: 95 | SP.ATK: 40 | SP.DEF: 50 | SPD: 35 | TOTAL: 320

So does the mum spontaneously combust once the egg hatches or is this a matricide thing?

You know what? I'm going to kill the first Marowak I see and it'll all be PizzaProwler's fault.

We're off to the plains now, exiting via the top right. Something that I want to praise with the implementation of the safari zone is that it's one area, there aren't area transitions despite each area having a different encounter table. Sure there is an obvious slight hang when it loads in but it's genuinely really impressive.

KNIFE BIRD

HP: 65 | ATK: 80 | DEF: 140 | SP.ATK: 40 | SP.DEF: 70 | SPD: 70 | TOTAL: 465

Skarmory was originally only encounterable after the 8th leader at a measly 5% rate on a route that is optional. It's no surprise that a lot of people forget that Skarmory was introduced in gen 2 and not gen 3. It's a wall and very good at toxic stalling.

Skarmory is the most Murderous of birds and UCS Hellmaker agrees

I decided it's finally time to bite the bullet and buy some ultra balls, a number of the rarer Pokemon (and starters) have very low catch rates so it's best for my sanity if I bought some ultra balls.

HP: 70 | ATK: 110 | DEF: 80 | SP.ATK: 55 | SP.DEF: 80 | SPD: 105 | TOTAL: 500

Scyther is one of only four good bug Pokemon in gen 2 and it rules, it's a mantis with loving scythes for arms. Also that description totally makes it sound like it does something from a Samurai film where the victim gets slashed and sprays blood seconds later when the samurai sheathes his sword.

I was struggling to think up a name and just decided to go with Susan; She's named after Susan Sto Helit from Discworld, who is Death's granddaughter via adoption. I heartily recommend reading Hogfather because it's an excellent book. Sir. Terry GNU was infinitely funnier than me (which doesn't say much as I'm not very)

HP: 65 | ATK: 55 | DEF: 115 | SP.ATK: 100 | SP.DEF: 40 | SPD: 60 | TOTAL: 435

Tangela was the first pure grass Pokemon. He's a mess of tentacles and has tiny red shoes. I don't really have much else to say, it's pretty forgettable.

KennyMan666 wants to know WHO TOUCHED HIS SPAGHET

The real Pikablu.

HP: 70 | ATK: 20 | DEF: 50 | SP.ATK: 20 | SP.DEF: 75 | SPD: 40 | TOTAL: 250

Remember when Marill had a major role in the short at the start of the first movie? That was cool. Anyways the Marill line was pretty bad for a while, just being a mediocre water mon that evolved early in gen 2. The addition of huge power in gen 3 was a nice addition but it couldn't use that attack stat for its water STAB. Gen 4 was a big generation for it with the physical/special split and gen 6 gave it the fairy typing and now it's actually pretty good.

:grin:

HP: 90 | ATK: 65 | DEF: 65 | SP.ATK: 40 | SP.DEF: 40 | SPD: 10 | TOTAL: 315

Slowpoke is also very cool. Water/Psychic but designed to be bulky instead of Starmie which is a lightning fast sweeper. I approve

Slowpoke is the fastest gun in the west, Galarian Slowbro especially

HP: 65 | ATK: 125 | DEF: 100 | SP.ATK: 55 | SP.DEF: 70 | SPD: 85 | TOTAL: 500

Pinsir is a cool gigantic stag beetle but with a massive flaw in that it has an awful movepool. The only bug type attack it could learn until gen 4 is Fury Cutter, why the hell did they do my guy so dirty? It got a very good mega form in gen 6 that I have never used.

Chalk down another name that I couldn't think of anything better. Stagger Lee is an American folk song and that's basically all I know about it.

HP: 65 | ATK: 65 | DEF: 45 | SP.ATK: 75 | SP.DEF: 45 | SPD: 95 | TOTAL: 390

Yanma is a dragonfly, it's doomed by having an awful movepool. Hopefully the battle tutor fixes this up a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t-iFr9q1I8

This is a big pick up in regards to Motherless being good, it's a held item that doubles a Cubone or Marowak's attack.

The brick piece is useless and only exists to be sold for a tiny amount, you can get it by transferring Machop from gen 1 and that's it.

We're in the Forest area now. Technically speaking we can walk 10 steps to the left and move into the next area.

HP: 75 | ATK: 38 | DEF: 38 | SP.ATK: 56 | SP.DEF: 56 | SPD: 67 | TOTAL: 330

I dig Chinchou, it's a unique typing that is cdute although its stats are nothing special.

Kurt Angler Fish, won the pokeathlon with a broken freakin neck.

No luck with the footprints in this zone, only got the seen data from the footprints here. The annoying thing is that Chikorita is a 1% encounter in both areas that you can find it and the footprints have a pretty solid chance of letting you encounter that mon the first time.

Clear? That's a cool name! I'm looking for a lucky egg, but I haven't seen any Chansey lately. They must be super rare!

A literal 1% encounter rate.

Or... am I in the wrong area? I'd check the pokedex but I left it at home... There's all these Exeggcute here though, so I think I'll stick around a bit. I'm starting to get a bit bored looking around here.

Maybe being an Acetrainer doesn't have high requirements?

Exceggutor is a drat good mon, very bulky and with a fine movepool. It only took two flies to take it down.

This matchup was just constant low roll Magnitudes.

Cats and Crabs are very weak against being punched in the throat.

Cat is honestly refreshing compared to some of the other OC trainers, it looks like she just went with mons that she liked instead of making a team that is as strong as possible.

Hopefully all my shouting didn't scare the Pokemon away... Here! You fought a good battle, so take these!

Those are heavy balls! They work rather well on heavier Pokemon. I bought a bunch 'cause Chansey is big, but it turns out that they aren't heavy at all so I don't need them! See you later!

We can walk across this ridge to pick up an ultra ball and a max potion. I've always found max potions to be a waste, hyper potions are good enough and by the time Pokemon have enough health for max potions to be worthwhile you'll be using full restores.

How eggciting.

HP: 60 | ATK: 40 | DEF: 80 | SP.ATK: 60 | SP.DEF: 45 | SPD: 40 | TOTAL: 325

Exeggcute is cool, it's a grass-psychic type that has always been very good. I do approve of the eggbois, especially Aloan Exeggutor who is a gigantic palm tree. Also that back sprite is pure chaos.

Gotta say that I loved this name Quantum Toast.

HP: 80 | ATK: 125 | DEF: 75 | SP.ATK: 40 | SP.DEF: 95 | SPD: 85 | TOTAL: 500

Punchbug! Heracross is a Japanese Rhinoceros Beetle with its mega form being a Hercules beetle. It's disgustingly weak to flying attacks but it's quite potent at breaking walls.

HERCULES HERCULES HERCULES

HP: 45 | ATK: 49 | DEF: 65 | SP.ATK: 49 | SP.DEF: 65 | SPD: 45 | TOTAL: 318

Chikorita gets a lot of flack, it's a little plant dinosaur and it's cute. I will say that I don't hate it but I also don't really care for it.

This is a threefer; Spuds McKenzie, spud is a term of endearment for a small child and it's also Australian slang for someone being a bit poo poo.

Water area now, technically speaking we can just head directly south to the final area since this path just loops around.

HP: 55 | ATK: 70 | DEF: 55 | SP.ATK: 40 | SP.DEF: 55 | SPD: 85 | TOTAL: 360

Aipom is a cute fellow that desperately needed his gen 4 evolution. It was sadly pretty bad up until then and its only real use is baton passing evasion boosts which I will never use because that is a cowards strategy.

Slap my hand

HP: 70 | ATK: 80 | DEF: 65 | SP.ATK: 90 | SP.DEF: 65 | SPD: 85 | TOTAL: 455

I don't really care for Girafarig, it's a fairly average mon all around and its design is not good enough to make up for how bog standard it is mechanically. Psychic/Normal is a good typing which is why Indedee saw a lot of use in Gen 8.

Its tail looks like a chain chomp.

There is a big empty area that is surrounded by rocks and I don't understand the point of it. Moving on, clearly nothing is ever going to be here.

HP: 50 | ATK: 65 DEF: 64 | SP.ATK: 44 | SP.DEF: 48 | SPD: 43 | TOTAL: 314

Totodile is my favourite of the Johto starters, he just has a lot of spunk and is very cute. I also like Feraligator the most out of the final forms but that's not really saying a whole lot considering I'm ambivalent to them.

Please don't let Stacy be turned into shoes.

Just insert the Beavis and Butthead laugh whenever I pick this up.

The area loops around on top and comes back along the little pools of water. This is also our third amulet coin which I suspect might lead to diminishing returns.

HP: 55 | ATK: 20 | DEF: 35 | SP.ATK: 20 | SP.DEF: 45 | SPD: 75 | TOTAL: 250

Smeargle is very much a gimmick Pokemon. It can learn the last move used by using its exclusive move sketch. So it can literally do anything but probably shouldn't because of bad stats. Its primary use is breeding moves onto other pokemon although it saw use when it received the absolutely broken Moody ability that randomly boosts and lowers stats each turn. Also that dex entry, you'd better hope that you're not one of the Smeargles that got poop brown as a colour.

I decided to name her after Augusta Savage, an influential sculptist and activist. She was kind of a big deal, especially considering that she was African-American during segregation.

Christ about loving time, Chansey is a 1% encounter in three areas of the Safari Zone and I only found the one. Thank god for being able to paralyze and lower health though, I always ended up using the Cinnabar Island glitch to catch it in the old games because it was so obnoxious.

HP: 250 | ATK: 5 | DEF: 5 | SP.ATK: 35 | SP.DEF: 105 | SPD: 50 | TOTAL: 450

Chansey is cool I suppose, it was actually really decent in gen 1 since its 105 special was for both offense and defense, it was also a mountain of health which helped make up for the bad speed and physical stats. It's also a mix of a monotreme and an axolotl which is quite odd.

May she offer you an egg in this trying time?

We head further south and find where we originally got surf in gen 4, this item is specifically where we picked up the gold teeth in order to get strength.

Surf across the water and we'll get the only patch of grass in the mountain area.

HP: 75 | ATK: 100 | DEF: 95 | SP.ATK: 40 | SP.DEF: 70 | SPD: 110 | TOTAL: 490

Tauros was pretty beastly in gen 1, you didn't need to recharge if you knocked someone out with hyper beam and nobody threw around scarier hyper beams than Tauros outside of Mewtwo. Gen 2 fixing things made Tauros a little less scary but it could throw around big hits running off its high attack stat.

Speaking of painters, Guernica is a famous piece by Picasso and it's a very important symbol against the Spanish Civil War.

HP: 80 | ATK: 85 | DEF: 95 | SP.ATK: 30 | SP.DEF: 30 | SPD: 25 | TOTAL: 345

Rhyhorn is a big old rocky rhino. I do approve of it. They do make it sound spectacularly dumb though.

The evolved form of Rhyhorn, Rhydon, was the very first Pokemon designed by Ken Sugimori. It's why the sprite pops up so much in gen 1.

HP: 100 | ATK: 70 | DEF: 70 | SP.ATK: 36 | SP.DEF: 65 | SPD: 45 | TOTAL: 415

Dunsparce is a fat little Tsuchinoko which is a Japanese cryptid. The tsuchinoko is a snake that can talk, gets drunk and rolls around like a hoop snake. Fan games have been giving Dunsparce evolutions for years and they always seem to miss the point of it being an unassuming creature and end up making it a dragon with angels wings or poo poo like that.

You would not believe how difficult it was to find Larvitar, Cyndaquil has a 1% encounter rate in the mountains and I still encountered 10 of them before I found Larvitar who has a 4% encounter rate.

HP: 50 | ATK: 64 | DEF: 50 | SP.ATK: 45 | SP.DEF: 50 | SPD: 41 | TOTAL: 300

Larvitar is the Psuedolegendary of gen 2, these are Pokemon that start off weak and level slowly but eventually end up strong enough that they're on a similar level to a legendary Pokemon.

PizzaProwler requested he be called BIG DAD

We're back in the entrance area now, we didn't find Phanpy since it's a morning encounter so I'll come back for it another time along with any fishing encounters.

The Lucky Punch is a held item that is exclusive to Chansey, it boosts the crit rate by two stages. The wild Chansey ended up holding it so this pickup was pointless, it also cannot be used by Blissey so you're stuck with the weaker of the two pokemon.

We could leave but there's one last thing I want to take care of.

I always keep my promises

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Testekill posted:

The brick piece is useless and only exists to be sold for a tiny amount, you can get it by transferring Machop from gen 1 and that's it.

I never really understood how held items in Gen 1 work on a technical level. Obviously, they can't be interacted with and as far as I know don't do anything there (Maybe in a time capsule fight? I dunno how that works either). But if you transfer them, they are there and you can remove, or replace the item and that stays consistent. i.e. you can transfer an item from crystal to blue to silver. Did they plan that feature in advance, or did they retroactively overwrite some junk bytes for each mon the moment you trade it, unoless there is already an overwrite? Can you also transfer mail this way?
Gen 1 and by extension Gen 2 are a broken mess, so I am surprised that this system works so well. I fully assume that there is some exploit where under certain situations, those junk bits which store the items get read and you could use this stuff to manipulate code, if you're so inclined.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Feb 13, 2022

FlamingRok
Jan 14, 2013

The ultimate power is clearly roses.
As far as I'm aware the held items are based on catch rate, with a special exception being made for Pikachu from Pokemon Yellow in order to give it the Light Ball, but I could be wrong. In return some items are probably planned (not back in Gen 1 obviously) and others aren't.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Testekill posted:

Venonat is a cute little fuzzball. Oddly enough it's associated with psychic trainers so much despite only being bug/poison. I personally would have thought it would've been a prime candidate to get the regional form treatment so that it could be bug/psychic.

There's a longstanding theory that Butterfree and Venomoth were swapped. Venonat/Venomoth's Japanese names aren't related the way they are in English.

Butterfree is Bug/Flying with some psychic powers, so Venonats being associated with psychic-type trainers makes sense if it was originally supposed to evolve into Butterfree.

Having Venomoth evolve from Caterpie would've put two "scary/cool" bug/poisons in the early game which may have also been a factor; or maybe Venomoth was still a relatively late evolver which could've stuck kids with a Caterpie/Metapod for a long time; but I think the Pokemon devs probably made a last-minute swap (powersets and all) to give Charmander players a better chance against Brock since there are no early grass types and Butterfree's Confusion is one of the few early-game Pokemon moves that hits rock neutrally.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

PoptartsNinja posted:

I think the Pokemon devs probably made a last-minute swap (powersets and all) to give Charmander players a better chance against Brock since there are no early grass types and Butterfree's Confusion is one of the few early-game Pokemon moves that hits rock neutrally.

Brock's a pushover once you realise that Ember is Special though. His rocks have utter garbage for Special and die immediately.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Testekill posted:

I was struggling to think up a name and just decided to go with Susan; She's named after Susan Sto Helit from Discworld, who is Death's granddaughter via adoption. I heartily recommend reading Hogfather because it's an excellent book. Sir Terry GNU was infinitely funnier than me (which doesn't say much as I'm not very)

Ah, do the scythes only kill monsters then? Just finished a reread of Hogfather and would also recommend it, haha.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

cant cook creole bream posted:

I never really understood how held items in Gen 1 work on a technical level. Obviously, they can't be interacted with and as far as I know don't do anything there (Maybe in a time capsule fight? I dunno how that works either). But if you transfer them, they are there and you can remove, or replace the item and that stays consistent. i.e. you can transfer an item from crystal to blue to silver. Did they plan that feature in advance, or did they retroactively overwrite some junk bytes for each mon the moment you trade it, unoless there is already an overwrite? Can you also transfer mail this way?
Gen 1 and by extension Gen 2 are a broken mess, so I am surprised that this system works so well. I fully assume that there is some exploit where under certain situations, those junk bits which store the items get read and you could use this stuff to manipulate code, if you're so inclined.

The method was pretty clever. There is a specific bit in a Pokemon's data that wasn't used but, for some reason, was set to the Pokemon's catch rate (the value that determines how difficult it is to catch a Pokemon) when you obtained it in Gen 1. It doesn't change when a Pokemon evolves, so once you catch a Pokemon it just sits there in a Gen 1 game

Gen II uses this to when a Pokemon is traded over from Gen 1 games to determine what held item the traded Pokemon has. Notably GameFreak seems to have thinking about this system early on because Pikachu (and for some reason Abra) have different catch rates in Yellow, thus making it so that your Yellow Pikachu has a Light Ball and an Kadabra caught in Yellow has a Twisted Spoon.

The twist is that if you trade a Pokemon back to Gen 1 it changes the value to match whatever held item is being held. Now, this value isn't used in Gen 1, so this doesn't effect anything. But it does mean that a Gen 2 game has a method of "remembering" if a Pokemon is holding an item traded back and forth between generations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
That's really interesting. It's never really relevant in any way, because those items aren't needed, but it's quite a fun development challenge.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

quote:

Chalk down another name that I couldn't think of anything better. Stagger Lee is an American folk song and that's basically all I know about it.

Stagger Lee is a song about the murder of Billy Lyons committed by "Stag/Stack" Lee Shelton. Lyons and Shelton got into an argument in a saloon and Shelton shot Lyons dead after Lyons touched Shelton's stetson hat. This was quickly immortalized into a song and has been covered by everyone and their mother such as Mississppi John Hurt and Lloyd Price. Nick Cave put own a version which is certainly an adventure. There is a comic about the song/murder also called Stagger Lee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLKgUu7QqpM

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

cant cook creole bream posted:

That's really interesting. It's never really relevant in any way, because those items aren't needed, but it's quite a fun development challenge.
Gen 1(and to a lesser extent 2) is amazing because of all the little hacks they used to make it work at all.

They're terrifying for the exact same reason. :v:

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
my voltorb's name is also bort

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

So Queensland has been a touch hosed lately. Sorry about the lack of contact

------------------

9. Back on the Grind

This is mostly a training update to get a team for Janine, we've been a little behind the 8 ball with our teams level wise and right now is as good a time as any to do so since I'd like to finish off Fuschia City and not do too much else this update.

First up we raise Motherless up to level 28 and get Marowak.

HP: 60 | ATK: 80 | DEF: 110 | SP.ATK: 50 | SP.DEF: 80 | SPD: 45 | TOTAL: 425

Marowak wasn't amazing in gen 1, it was a slow defensive Pokemon and it wasn't that threatening on offense. Gen 2 rolled around and bought about held items which meant that Marowak could technically be the strongest physical attacker in the game after a single swords dance if it held a thick club.

We also give Gellar the exp share and he evolves at level 16 into a Kadabra.

HP: 40 | ATK: 35 | DEF: 30 | SP.ATK: 120 | SP.DEF: 70 | SPD: 105 | TOTAL: 400

As we got into when we first caught Gellar, Kadabra's design was a little too close to Uri Gellar and the Japanese name was a bit too close for it to be accidental thus it disappeared from the card game for years. It would have been many peoples defacto psychic type if they couldn't trade for Alakazam though and I'm sure that most people have fond memories of it.

We then trot over to the Goldenrod Department Store and chat to the Tradeback guy

HP: 55 | ATK: 50 | DEF: 45 | SP.ATK: 135 | SP.DEF: 85 | SPD: 120 | TOTAL: 490

Alakazam was a monster in generation 1. There was one single special stat which governed both attack and defense which was a disgusting 135. The attack psychic also had a 30% chance of lowering special instead of a 10% chance so an Alakazam would just snowball out of control because there were no good bug attacks (and any good bugs didn't know any) and the dark & steel types didn't exist.
It's now no longer the monster that it used to be but it's still a very fast special sweeper.

Data Duck is next on the agenda, we got the upgrade when we checked out Silph Co a few update ago. The Upgrade is a held item that gets used up when Porygon is traded while holding it.

HP: 85 | ATK: 80 DEF: 90 | SP.ATK: 105 | SP.DEF: 95 | SPD: 60 | TOTAL: 515

Porygon2 has pretty good, balanced stats across the board. 105 special attack is nothing to sneeze at when Data Duck can throw around thunderbolt, flamethrower or ice beam and it all comes down to deciding what makes a great fourth slot move.

We raise Spuds to level 16 and he evolves into Bayleef.

HP: 60 | ATK: 62 | DEF: 80 | SP.ATK: 63 | SP.DEF: 80 | SPD: 60 | TOTAL: 405

Bayleef is basically more of Chikorita, it's a plant dinosaur specifically a sauropod and it's certainly a middle evolution. Also that is stupidly light for something that size.

Stacey hits level 18 and evolves into Croconaw. Gen 2 did something a little different with the starter evolution levels. Totodile reaches its middle evolution latest but it evovles into its final evolution at an earlier level. Meanwhile Cyndaquil evolves into its middle evolution earliest at level 14 but doesn't evolve into its final evolution at level 34. Chikorita is the happy medium in both stages.

HP: 65 | ATK: 80 | DEF: 80 | SP.ATK: 59 | SP.DEF: 63 | SPD: 58 | TOTAL: 405

Much like Bayleef, Croconaw sure is a middle evolution. It does look like it's a caveman which is cute but generally speaking most middle stages of starters are pretty meh.

Speaking of final evolutions, Stacy reaches level 30 and evolves into Feraligatr because there aren't enough letters for an o to be chucked in there.

HP: 85 | ATK: 105 | DEF: 100 | SP.ATK: 79 | SP.DEF: 83 | SPD: 78 | TOTAL: 530

Feraligatr is my favourite of the gen 2 starters although I find the starters in gen 2 on the forgettable side overall. I do prefer the beta Feraligatr because it looks far more like a gigantic feral alligator.

It's one of many Pokemon that benefited from the physical-special split. While 79 special attack is nothing to sneeze at, it's much better to be throwing around waterfalls off of the far better attack stat. This was especially true when Feraligatr got the dream world ability Sheer Force which removes the additional effect of attacks in exchange for increased power.

Our team heading into the gym is as such

Stacy picked up outrage from the battle tutor. Feraligatr sadly doesn't have much in the way of great physical attacks in gen 2 outside of iron tail, earthquake and hyper beam.

FlamingRok was sadly bang on the money in regards to Pinsir. Everything it can do, Heracross did better in gen 2. Getting earthquake, megahorn and rock slide from the battle tutor does let StaggerLee throw some big bombs though.

Data Duck is still the same old Porygon with a massive movepool, just better stats

Geller has learnt the gentle art of punching someone in the throat.

Marowak gains access to a lot of ghost and fire attacks from the battle tutor since Aloan Marowak is a ghost/fire type. Ghost is all physical up until gen 4 so Motherless is really going to love throwing around a shadow ball or two off of that attack.

The Klumps is going to be worse off than StaggerLee for a while, it learns Megahorn by level and Earthquake by TM. Cross Chop is a new move via the battle tutor and it really appreciates some great fighting STAB.

Whoops! Take a good look around you. The trainers all look like the leader, Janine.

Linda has a Bulbasaur and two Ivysaur, I'm sure she's going to be really fun when we do the rematches.

Cindy has a single Nidoqueen, nothing too threatening. It survives an earthquake but goes down the following turn.

Bazza has a Nidoking, it doesn't survive a crit earthquake.

Gloom, Arbok and another Gloom. None of them are bulky enough to eat something as powerful as a megahorn or earthquake.

I'm sorry to disappoint you... I'm only joking! I'm the real deal! Janine of Fuschia Gym, that's me!

Golbat goes down to two rock slides without dealing a single bit of damage, instead going for two leers.

Two Psybeams from Data Duck.

Motherless sets up a curse and then sweeps the rest of the gym with bonemerang.

Janine will never be tough, her teams is just a bit too fragile to ground or psychic attacks and there's nothing that can stand up to Gellar or Motherless.

You're so tough! I have a special gift! It's toxic, a powerful poison that steadily saps the victim's HP.

Toxic is a move that starts off dealing 1/16th of ones HP before gradually increasing and dealing more and more. Theoretically you use it to take down a bulky stall Pokemon but most good stall teams will either use rest to heal it or they'll run a Blissey with heal bell if not outright ignoring it with a steel type. It's still very useful though, especially on lower tier teams.

I want to become better than both father and you!

So you want to be the very best? Like no one ever was?

--------------------------------

Small update this time, we're going to take a ferry trip back to Johto so that we can see what else is back there. I'll be starting from Cianwood and working my way over to Ecutreak. Once I beat those three gyms, I'll do the 8 badge rematches of everyone that I've beaten and then head off to the Pokemon league for the first time.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingRok
Jan 14, 2013

The ultimate power is clearly roses.
Unfortunately Toxic turns into regular poison when swapped out (this wasn't fixed until Gen 3), but as stated by Testekill, it can be useful. It helps that poison is now 1/8th of the HP rather than 1/16th.