Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Hi.

I'm Ish. And I have a problem.

Being a latecomer to both driving and working on cars because of various reasons, in the last two-ish years I splurged and bought myself a project vehicle. A 1953 Willys M38A1,

With a catch,

It was Someone Else's project vehicle from years ago, the original builder long forgotten in between the chain of people that lead up to me buying it. It had a Ford 289 swapped in, complete with a four speed top loader and even a Hurst shifter kit. 15x10" US Indy Mags, bigger (and also unknown) drum brakes, some kind of terrifying 80s external vacuum assist for the manual brakes that's leaking fluid like a sieve, and a whole mess of hack jobs including mounting a second gas tank in the rear and an electronic switch on the dash to pick which tank the engine feeds from, and cutting up the entire floor and replacing it with fiberglass to fit the four speed trans. Oh, and the steering column is out of an old Ford as well, and hangs far below the dash. Which combined with the seats that I think were taken from a later model CJ5, means there's about eight inches between the seat top and the wheel, which I can barely fit in the driver's seat, and certainly can't safely fit in it either.

About a year after buying this, my daily broke and was far gone enough to be not worth repairing, so I bought another car. A 1987 Toyota Corolla FX16,

Which is a lovely car. That also has over 200k miles - but at least is still running strong! And was a great way to learn how to drive stick.

...up until winter here set in in the desert, where everything now rattles, the heater keeps blowing out fluff and decayed foam, it burns oil and at one point even fouled plugs, and now there's some potential weirdness with the suspension. Oh, and while the PO was absolutely fastidious with his maintenance and repairs done to the car, he did admit he was unable to find a replacement for one of the motor mounts, so he reused the old dry rotted one. That probably isn't helping things...

:negative:

My hope with finally starting this thread is this might be the kick in my rear end I need to start making more serious progress on both of these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Thread title is excellent.

Cars are also excellent. Might even inspire me to get off my rear end and get my Corolla of similar vintage working

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Good news! It looks like motor mounts for the FX16 are available and quite affordable on Rock Auto.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/toyota,1987,corolla,1.6l+l4+dohc,1274992,engine,motor+mount,5552

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Those Corollas are absolutely loving everywhere here in South Africa. I absolutely adore them too, they're known as the Toyota Tazz locally and you can see various levels of care taken with them, I've seen everything from absolutely mint ones to barely running beaters and I love them all.

More photos!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
that jeep rules. hope you get the time to make it into what you want