Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

It’s already been said but Six Feet Under.

Edit: best snipe, shut ‘er down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

The Shield definitely ended right, I also liked Breaking Bad's ending.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Vitruvian Manic posted:

Continuum: What is old is new is new again? Oh yeah, loop it!

This show was real fuckin cool. Totally a slept on sci fi show that avoided corniness and had a cool premise and actually landed its ending.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

TNG had a neat ending.
Breaking Bad is probably the only modern serialised show that I saw to the end and was satisfied with
Blackadder IV

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

How could I forget Blackadder?

The increasingly poor decisions of Todd Margaret isn't quality TV but I really enjoyed what the third season accomplished with all the preceding plot.

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew
Mad Men has a pretty much perfect ending

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Nathan For You. I wish the show lasted more seasons,, and it's an unscripted show which usually don't even have final episodes, but it had the perfect "conclusion"/final episode.

If that doesn't count then I would say Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. I remember getting a bit choked up at the ending and thinking it was absolutely perfect. What a great show.

lol

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I love Nathan for you so fuckin much but I usually have to pause it more than once an episode to take a walk around the block to work out the awkward.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 28 days!)

yeah nathan for you was quality stuff but i dropped off the show because it was really more pain than laughter

i wish i could love that stuff but i have to skip humiliating scenes even in scripted stuff sometimes

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Seinfeld

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

givepatajob posted:

The Leftovers has my favorite though people saying The Shield aren’t wrong.

Yeah, The Leftovers is what comes to mind when I think of a series that had a perfect ending. The writers realized that their fans were divided on Knowing/ Not Knowing and wrote an amazing ending (though if the reports are true about the original author stepping in to keep the filmed ending from not being shown are true, it could have gone a much different way). I remember watching the finale with my partner and talking with them about it afterwards and realizing we'd watched the same thing and interpreted it in two completely opposed ways (I was on team Knowing).

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 10, 2022

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
Parks and Recreation had a pretty great ending in my opinion. It was perfectly in line with the themes of the show and I cried like a baby for the second half of the hour long finale.

I mean, I was going into major surgery the very next day so I was already fairly broken down emotionally but I’m almost certain I would have shed some tears regardless.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

One Foot in the Grave ending with Victor being killed in a hit and run and Margaret implied to be a murderer was certainly... a way to end a sitcom

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

bitterandtwisted posted:

One Foot in the Grave ending with Victor being killed in a hit and run and Margaret implied to be a murderer was certainly... a way to end a sitcom

:psyduck: loving hell I totally forgot about that

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

syntaxfunction posted:

Game of Thrones because I never watched it and the aftermath was absolutely worthwhile.

yeah same. i knew it was gonna suck but holy poo poo they loving failed every part of the landing because D&D were desperate to make some conferates slave show and possibly new star wars and that all loving vanished while peter Dinklage quoted niemöller about some crazy chick.

also if it had ended with the first season(god i wish it had) i would say Westworld. i genuinely love the first season.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Blackader 4.

It fades to black as they all go over the top to their certain, futile deaths.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Legion's ending wasn't great but it managed to pull a everything together better than I could have expected, and the series didn't drag on to everyone's disgust.

And that's A-OK.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I don't think it was perfect, there was too much "But now I must go" but Quark gets the ending he absolutely earns in Deep Space Nine.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I'm not generally down with the anime but Paranoia Agent was v.cool start to finish.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

yeah paranoia agent is A+

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Neon Evangelism

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i really need to finish the leftovers. I got like half way through the final season then stopped for some reason

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

puella magi madoka magica if they didnt make rebellion

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Torquemada posted:

It’s The Shield.

Yeah the final couple episodes, starting from when Vic does his confession is just amazing.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

If there's a "Worst Endings" I would nominate Battlestar Galactica. If you enjoyed it and were looking forward to all the various loose ends and plot threads and mysteries being neatly tied up, well it seemed like they ran out of writing budget and just went 'Yeah, it was magic or angels or whatever, the end, bye'.

Colonel Taint
Mar 14, 2004

Kidding - pretty underlooked, decent show overall, but they really stuck the ending.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
The Wire.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Colonel Taint posted:

Kidding - pretty underlooked, decent show overall, but they really stuck the ending.

drat I loving loved that show. The entire show is one gutpunch after another and the last episode certainly doesn't disappoint on that, especially considering they had very little time to tie up loose ends after being cancelled.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

the true ending to binding of isaac was loving intense. did not see that coming.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The Shield's finale is as good as a finale gets - wraps up all stories in an extremely narratively satisfying way, massive gutpunch

Six Feet Under as well - it's almost more of an epilogue and it deliberately doesn't wrap things up, but also, it does as completely as is physically possible. also a massive gutpunch

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Oh poo poo and the Leftovers for sure. Another massive gutpunch.

Good finales should leave you feeling unsettled and kind of upset while also being narratively satisfied. real tough to do.

Not comedies though. which is why The Good Place finale is also top notch.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
How I Met Your Mother.
OMG. Such a great ending!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Nthing the Leftovers, just perfect.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The Community series finale is a huge emotional gut punch and is one of the most accurate representations of struggling to move on with your life. Also it’s hilarious.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
Hannibal's ending was appropriately operatic, homoerotic, and bloody, imo.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Every series of The House of Cards (UK) ended really well.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
"I mean, who would've notice another mad man around here? Good luck everyone."

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Schlong Connery posted:

Mad Men has a pretty much perfect ending

Arc Hammer posted:

"I mean, who would've notice another mad man around here? Good luck everyone."

:hmmyes:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Space Above and Beyond.

"Semper Fi, man."
"Always faithful, my friends."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Hoo boy, I'm just so tired of all these mad men.