Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

Arc Hammer posted:

"I mean, who would've notice another mad man around here? Good luck everyone."

This sounds really cheesy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Full Metal Jackass posted:

This sounds really cheesy.

It's amazing what a bit of slow motion and a sombre piano melody can do to change that.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The Good Place
Newheart
TNG
M*A*S*H
Once Upon a Time

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Echoing that Star Trek TNG and DS9 both had great endings.

Also agreeing that Bojack Horseman had a well done and impactful ending even if the people in Cinemo Discusso yelled at me for asking if he died.

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Bad Purchase posted:

also I thought it was pretty wild the way Friends ended with the 9/11 attack occurring in the final moments of the show's finale.

Insane

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Vitruvian Manic posted:

Best series ending?

I don't mean "Best Finale" though a really solid finale absolutely helps. Like, what TV show just *nailed* it for you at the end? I've got:

The Simpsons: <placeholder>

The Simpsons is an eternal show that will never end, but I've always thought that Homers Enemy would have made a great final episode.

It really ties the series semi-regular themes about the failures/absurdity of the American Dream together neatly. Also showcases how wacky and unrealistic the show had become over the years, and how tired/frustrated the writers were.

"Change the channel Marge!" *Snore*" and everyone laughing as the "self-made man" is lowered into an early grave is a pitch perfect ending to those first 8 seasons.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

PeterCat posted:

Justified had the best series ending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ms1BpTFYN4

That show spun its wheels for a season or two in the middle, and I had subsequently stopped watching for a few years. I remembered it after it had ended, saw that the ending had generally good reviews, and decided to finish it out. I was really surprised at how fulfilling that ending was, and it's probably still the best wrap up I've seen of any 2+ season show in a while.

I had a similar experience with Mr. Robot, except that I was more flabbergasted that the show managed to recover at all from the absolute nosedive dumpster fire that was season 2. That the writers were able to wrap up any of those story lines and character arcs at all, let alone decently, was quite the triumph.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Two recent-ish shows with good endings are Bojack and The Good Place.

In the case of the latter, it needed to stick the landing. Otherwise it would have undermined the premise of the show

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnFjAkAs_q4

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Agreed, and the documentary What We Left Behind is an excellent follow up including where they may have gone with the story if there had been a season 8.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Hyrax Attack! posted:

What We Left Behind is an excellent follow up

I keep seeing this pop up and thinking I should watch it but then forget about it. Is it good?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Meme Poker Party posted:

I keep seeing this pop up and thinking I should watch it but then forget about it. Is it good?

it's good

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Meme Poker Party posted:

It's well worth watching if you're a DS9 fan

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Dinosaurs, M*A*S*H*, and Newhart, most definitely.

I was part of that bigass Nielsen rating when the M*A*S*H* finale aired. Watched it with my folks as a wee lad :)

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

DemoneeHo posted:

Two recent-ish shows with good endings are Bojack and The Good Place.

In the case of the latter, it needed to stick the landing. Otherwise it would have undermined the premise of the show

I'll +1 these two as well.

I was kinda shocked they managed to make the good pace finish that well. Felt like they were losing control of the plot in the last season or two.

Jaxts
Apr 29, 2008
The MASH finale is really good, and that Mozart piece makes me sad whenever I hear it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The What We Left Behind documentary is cool but Bashir as head of Section 31 rather than Bashir going on a manhunt to destroy the organization is how we ended up with Section 31 ruining every Trek it touched after DS9.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Jose posted:

i really need to finish the leftovers. I got like half way through the final season then stopped for some reason

I had an incredibly weird experience with this show. I went from hating it in Season 1 to really liking it in Season 2 and loving it for the end of Season 2 and 3.

In one of the original threads someone said that the show only makes sense if you experience deep loss, so I re-watched the series after that happened to me and now I love all three seasons. A lot of the weird stuff really clicks now.

It's also a great show to think about during the pandemic and seems more relevant now, with once reasonable people acting insane.

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Hannibal's ending was appropriately operatic, homoerotic, and bloody, imo.

Summarized perfectly. I loved this ending as well

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Colonel Cancer posted:

Neon Evangelism
Blacke's 7, the Prisoner and Space Runaway Ideon

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 10, 2022

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Gravity Falls.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Night court and Cheers ended well, too.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
SLEDGE HAMMER!

The perfect ending... that wasn't. They thought it wasn't going to be renewed, so season one ended with Sledge failing to disarm a nuke and vaporizing San Francisco.

Then it was renewed so they made the second season a flashback to five years before the first season.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Meme Poker Party posted:

Oh for sure, they got the whole cast including Aron Eisenberg and Rene Auberjonois, and it’s funny how for many of them it was by far the biggest thing of their career but for Colm Meaney he’s polite but it was clearly just another role for him.

It has good self awareness like they acknowledge to Terry Ferrell that she was treated poorly and apologize, and while they did some socially progressive episodes they recognize they were playing it safe and should have taken more risks. I do like how when they had an episode with a same sex kiss they got an angry phone call from a parent upset that his kid was exposed to that, and they asked if instead of kissing one of the women had shot the other for no reason if that would be a problem and the parent confirmed that would have been acceptable viewing for kids.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh for sure, they got the whole cast including Aron Eisenberg and Rene Auberjonois, and it’s funny how for many of them it was by far the biggest thing of their career but for Colm Meaney he’s polite but it was clearly just another role for him.

Colm Meaney is a professional. A couple years ago someone tried to get him to say that Star Trek was stupid and he defended the shows. They're not his whole identity like it became for some cast members but he always gave it his all because he's a good actor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciEkqYOaS80

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Uh, I mean he gave it his all sure but let's not get nuts

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Colm Meaney always makes me happy when he shows up. He's the best grumpy Irishman in space. And his hellish family life balanced with his platonic love relationship with Julian makes him one of the best characters.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

*keiko voice*

Miiiiiiiles!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Rescue Me had a pretty good series ending

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Alf.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
I thought Squid Game did a good job of sticking the landing especially considering how much horror-based shows and movies rarely do that. It works as both a cliffhanger or as a series end. The Leftovers ending ruled as well, I am in the camp that she made it up to feel better, but man does it pull you both ways

I've told people who have asked me if they should watch Dexter that they should finish the show after the Trinity killer season it's much better as a series finale then a cliffhanger, and the drop in quality after that season is so massive that I still believe the actual series finale is one of the worst ever made and this comes from someone who watched Game of Thrones. Basically the same for both shows: seasons 1-4 good, 5-8 hot garbage rear end.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Squid Game had a terrible ending. It didn't make sense.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Bogus Adventure posted:

If you mean ending in books, then none tops Lloyd Alexander's The High King. It might seem silly because they are young adult books, but it really is the perfect bittersweet ending.

those are "young adult" books, they're children's books. and quite good for children

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Arc Hammer posted:

Colm Meaney is a professional. A couple years ago someone tried to get him to say that Star Trek was stupid and he defended the shows. They're not his whole identity like it became for some cast members but he always gave it his all because he's a good actor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciEkqYOaS80

I’ve seen this before, the interviewer will not shut the gently caress up and let him talk. I assume the guy is some big deal on Irish tv.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

ChubbyChecker posted:

those are "young adult" books, they're children's books. and quite good for children

It's a story with a really good ending, and better than most of the media aimed at adults.

Lloyd Alexander is a much better author than GRRM.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Waltzing Along posted:

Squid Game had a terrible ending. It didn't make sense.

And this! Wasn’t the end widely regarded as utter trash that almost ruined all the good work in the early episodes!

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Torquemada posted:

I’ve seen this before, the interviewer will not shut the gently caress up and let him talk. I assume the guy is some big deal on Irish tv.

Yes that's Tommy Tiernan, a man renowned for unfortunately not having an off-switch most likely due to copious amounts of drugs

sootikins
May 24, 2008

Did I ever. Remember it as if it were yesterday. Soon as I woke, I went to empty my bowels - my favorite part of the day. Defecatin' to the sunrise - downright glorious.
I dunno about "best" but the final scene of Sons of Anarchy" made me laugh really hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

sootikins posted:

I dunno about "best" but the final scene of Sons of Anarchy" made me laugh really hard

SPANG!

My answer is obvs Battlestar Galactica because "let's fly all the ships into the sun and become cavemen with zero discussion for no reason" makes such a huge amount of sense. Also all the really cool and mysterious Cylon metaphysics and Starbuck stuff was just "sorry lol it really was The (Mormon) Christian God all along!"

Fifteen years later I still occasionally think back to just how GOOD a way to end that series it was

A CRAB IRL fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 10, 2022