Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

mind the walrus posted:

This all sidesteps a lot of the amusing girl-nerd schadenfreude around the show's ending, which involved the show's accidental status as a gay-shipping juggernaut and its ultimately dismissal of the same:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0QhgQ-g4C0

(Long loving video made by a very young woman talking about Tumblr culture so if you find that intolerable then cool, but don't be a joyless gently caress about it)

I'll watch the two hour supernatural video later, but I just wanted to say they really should have ended it after season 5 like they originally intended to. Good god, everything after season 5 was just pure terrible poo poo (except for that episode where they come to our universe where supernatural is a not-so-popular tv show).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

DemoneeHo posted:

I'll watch the two hour supernatural video later, but I just wanted to say they really should have ended it after season 5 like they originally intended to. Good god, everything after season 5 was just pure terrible poo poo (except for that episode where they come to our universe where supernatural is a not-so-popular tv show).

Season 6 episode “Fanfiction”was a bit funny

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

after they prevented the apocalypse or something the writers clearly had no idea what to do so supernatural had a whole season where fast food was an evil plot by cthulhu demons

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I love garbage tv. I really should watch supernatural

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Depending on what happens this Friday, The Expanse might have a really good ending.

Turns out it's not a bad ending, but I certainly wouldn't consider it one of the best.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Milo and POTUS posted:

it's tremendously stupid in a way that is fantastic for having on in the background during a slow day at the computer touching factory home office

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's extremely watchable trash and if you're into men it features some of the most painfully pretty men crying their pain out and looking pretty constantly.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Rockman Reserve posted:

after they prevented the apocalypse or something the writers clearly had no idea what to do so supernatural had a whole season where fast food was an evil plot by cthulhu demons

that was the best of the post 5 seasons I watched tbh (gave up around 9 or 10 or so? the season with like 3 terrible attempted backdoor pilots. at least it had a cohesive plot that kinda made sense and Ted from Better Off Ted was a good bad guy.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
the first 5 seasons of Supernatural really do supremely own in a lovely TV way and there are some episodes that are straight up great. IIt's like a B-movie X files basically. The leads are really good and have good chemistry, there's a reason they are the biggest Ship targets in history

Love how every fight between demigods, transdimensional beings, reincarnated deities, etc, is a fistfight in a room or a field.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

mind the walrus posted:

It's extremely watchable trash and if you're into men it features some of the most painfully pretty men crying their pain out and looking pretty constantly.

I already have a mirror

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

anatomi posted:

This is it. This is all we are.

(Perfect loving conclusion to a great character and show)

:yeah:

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
I swallowed hard after Breaking Bad: El Camino, something about it was so bittersweet and perfect IMHO.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Walrus posted:

that was the best of the post 5 seasons I watched tbh (gave up around 9 or 10 or so? the season with like 3 terrible attempted backdoor pilots. at least it had a cohesive plot that kinda made sense and Ted from Better Off Ted was a good bad guy.

I think you're thinking of the handsome guy from Andy Richter Controls the Universe

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

mind the walrus posted:

I think you're thinking of the handsome guy from Andy Richter Controls the Universe

Andy Richter?

Flora Finching
Sep 10, 2009

I just watched the last episode of a show where everyone walked into a fire at the end and thought it would be great if all shows ended that way. Really ties up the loose ends.

Glitch

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

mind the walrus posted:

I'm not looking it up but I really thought that was the same guy

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

mind the walrus posted:

Real answer-- Animorphs

Turns out being a child soldier leaves you scarred and hosed up, and ultimately just leads into the next pointless war!

Seconding.
Reread that series last year and not only does it still hold up but holy poo poo it really hits on a lot of mature/real conflict for a YA series. Most of which completly flew over my head when i first started that series at like age 8.

Special shout out to the got ending. Stopped watching after season 3 and never looked back.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I hope everyone knew I was being sarcastic about the ending of St. Elsewhere.

I think it's hard to find TV series with good endings because for a long time the approach to TV shows was :regd08: and that they would keep them running as long as possible, long past the point they should, and often ended up just getting canceled.

In recent memory I'd say Schitt's Creek had a good ending.

Weeds managed a decent ending after almost loving itself irreparably in that awful roadtrip season.

Angel had an awkward ending they tried to make as decent as possible because they didn't get renewed for stupid egotistical dick-swinging reasons and had to come up with a conclusion about a season too soon.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Angel had an awkward ending they tried to make as decent as possible because they didn't get renewed for stupid egotistical dick-swinging reasons and had to come up with a conclusion about a season too soon.

It has the right message for the wrong reasons, to the point of being excellent black humor.

"The rich oligarchs are entrenched, unstoppable, bottomlessly corrupt, and will never ever let things get better. We're in a position where we can really hurt them. It's not going to stop them, it might not even delay them for long, and we're definitely doomed if we do it...but not only is it the right thing to do but no one else is going to have this kind-of shot again and it's worth doing just to send that message."

Me watching as a kid: Oh wow that's a mature and reasoned take on the hopeless Class War that was lost over a decade before I was born. How noble and tragic. What a man of the people to use his platform to actually say things that other pop art is too chickenshit to even touch.

"Oh and we're doing it because my rich Bougie rear end had my feelings hurt by my bosses and I mouthed off about it. It'll come out soon that I was abusing my position and the people under me for years, and only got away with it because I'm functionally identical to the oligarchs I rail against in this one show. Also I'm going to make a home movie version of Shakespeare with all my employees set in my personal mansion and you'll get to see in intimate detail just how privileged I am."

Me recognizing this as an adult: Oh wow Joss Whedon. Aren't you a piece of poo poo?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I enjoy SUPERNATURAL, it's fine to enjoy it. We don't have to pretend it's actually a bad TV show that you can only enjoy ironically. It's not a ten episode prestige drama show no, but it is a good genre show with two good central performances (well I'd argue one really good* and one...less than that, but they have great chemistry) a ton of great side characters usually played by always welcome character actors. Some gnarly gore and for the first 5 seasons at least, a well built central plot. I can't disagree with not like the later seasons. It goes off the rails for a bit but manages to come together again somehow before admittedly ended in a way that was polarising to say the least.

Granted, this is all in the framework of a weekly procedural show, so you're dealing with 22 episodes a season. The flaws in SUPERNATURAL are usually inherent to the format itself. After a certain point you're just going to zone out until something grabs your attention again.

*It's pretty telling that Eric Kripke cast one of the leads on a show he created but hasn't worked on for most of the time it was on air for THE BOYS as soon as he became available.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
I thought Adventure Time had a good ending all things considered.

Weird that they revived it for an hbo show with the worst character as the headliner. BMO sucks.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

roomtone posted:

yeah nathan for you was quality stuff but i dropped off the show because it was really more pain than laughter

i wish i could love that stuff but i have to skip humiliating scenes even in scripted stuff sometimes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lItkr3MR1I4

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
3rd Rock from the sun.

Seriously, they all pile in and bring along Mary. It was a great ending.

And on the futurama chat from last page: bad futurama is better than no futurama. Some of the second run was downright awful, but there are always gems hidden below the surface.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

3rd Rock from the sun.

Seriously, they all pile in and bring along Mary. It was a great ending.

The ending I saw had them wipe Mary's memory and leave her behind.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Damnit, now I'm going to need to rewatch it. I think they talked about wiping her, but wound up deciding to bring her along. I'll find the last episode and watch it again.

E: wiki confirms you are correct, it appears my mind wanted the happier ending. Still a good finale though.

When I think of the ending, Mary is there in the Rambler waiting to go with them, it's just picturesque in my mind and makes me smile.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 15, 2022

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Rockman Reserve posted:

please tell me the cthulhu demons turn people into chaos monsters by taking their order

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

anatomi posted:

This is it. This is all we are.

(Perfect loving conclusion to a great character and show)

I was going to ask what this is from but googling got me to realize that I never finished that show, and wow, that final scene.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Damnit, now I'm going to need to rewatch it. I think they talked about wiping her, but wound up deciding to bring her along. I'll find the last episode and watch it again.

E: wiki confirms you are correct, it appears my mind wanted the happier ending. Still a good finale though.

When I think of the ending, Mary is there in the Rambler waiting to go with them, it's just picturesque in my mind and makes me smile.

There were two versions. The original one left her behind and then the syndicated one had Dick teleport back in and take her.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
3rd rocks ending was bad, they chickend out of the original idea and leave a brain damaged Mary behind in a life where she doesn't remember her partner or any of his family she interacted with for years. Her workmates, family and friends (not to mention the cops) will be full of questions about a family that utterly vanish she does not remember despite being in photos and videos with them.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

chainchompz posted:

I thought Adventure Time had a good ending all things considered.

Weird that they revived it for an hbo show with the worst character as the headliner. BMO sucks.

Can't say I agree with this take :(

The first few seasons are pretty great, it captured the 'lol random nonsense' aspects of 80s/90s cartoons really well and just had a hint of more serious worldbuilding sprinkled around. IMO it falls off the rails when they got too far up their own asses and started to go full in on "no really every single character has a tragic grimdark origin story and they've been fighting through the trauma all this time" and season-long minimovie arcs. The series finale was a battle royale out of nowhere featuring antagonists we'd only met earlier that (short) season after being pulled right out of the writers' asses, and we were supposed to care about them or about this series-spanning conflict that had been going on for the whole show but we only just saw it 6 episodes ago? I DON'T THINK SO :nyd:

BMO is OK as a supporting character but their whole thing is blindly stumbling through the world around them and that really doesn't work for a protagonist carrying a narrative, so yeah the first HBOMax episode was pretty meh.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Shield ending might be my favourite, and it's because it's about more than just Vic being legally stuck in an office job he hates.

His former best friend killed himself, his wife, their son, and unborn child. Because of poo poo the strike team did.

Ronnie is likely going to die in prison, because of poo poo that the strike team did to Antwon Mitchell. Not just die of old age from a probably life sentence; he'll likely be killed.

Kavanaugh, while he didn't show up in the episode, was almost completely vindicated. Aceveda, too. Vic even mentions in his confession how Aceveda knew the whole time (not officially, but he was properly suspicious).

Speaking of, that confession in Possible Kill Screen is INCREDIBLE. Vic's the dirtiest cop imaginable, one who orchestrated the death of another cop for his own gain, who killed when it suited him, to get his way, and he's finally able to legally get away from ALL of it... at the expense of the lives of those leftover (Shane, Shane's family, Ronnie). His best friends are dead and gone because of their selfish actions, and he once again serves himself at the end.

The ending to The Shield should be considered the last two episodes. The whole thing is incredibly tragic and brutal, and the one guy who deserves a comeuppance gets it in the most unexpected way.

To me, it's perfect.

I also really enjoyed the ending to season 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15EoiIKT7fo

That moment from when Vic shows up super happy about the money, to lose that feeling when he looks at the guys, and they all realize it's a pile of blood money.

Goddamn I love The Shield.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 15, 2022

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
God, that shaky handicam style of filming used to seem to fresh and modern.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

HD DAD posted:

God, that shaky handicam style of filming used to seem to fresh and modern.

Hey, fellow editor Ronnie, how do we indicate to the audience that these are real bad dudes on screen right now?

I dunno, blast death metal from no source that the actors obviously can't hear?

Great! Print it!

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Like, iirc literally everyone hates him though? His family thinks he sucks, he sold out all his friends (or they dead). The dude that abused his power ended up powerless. Seems right to me.

I liked the nod to Shawn Ryan's (and my) hometown Rockford, IL with the Mackey family getting relocated here while in witness protection.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
I really liked the ending of The Office. I was a bit late to catch on to that show. My wife and I rented the first few seasons from Blockbuster during a particularly snowy winter and I started watching first-run episodes on season four. The last few seasons after Steve Carell left were very hit or miss (mostly miss), but in the final season the original showrunner came back and the last handful of episodes were fun again.

The finale tied the whole thing up nicely and it was pretty cool how they kept up the thing with Dwight listening to Motley Crue by playing one of their lesser known songs "Angela" at the wedding reception.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

the sopranos ending was great even though i like to imagine tony lives because otherwise all the things the last couple episodes set up for the imaginary season 7 is wasted even though there was never going to be one even if tony lived but oh well :shobon:

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I didn't find out about it until 6 months ago, so I got experience them all at once. It owned so much.

My wife is absolutely obsessed with it too, and she has a completely different sense of humor than I do.

the best buy episode was one of the funnier things ever aired on television.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Doctor Dogballs posted:

the sopranos ending was great even though i like to imagine tony lives because otherwise all the things the last couple episodes set up for the imaginary season 7 is wasted even though there was never going to be one even if tony lived but oh well :shobon:

I think I've changed my tune on it now, after rewatching years later but I always thought Tony lives, just under the constant uneasy threat of never knowing where the hit is going to come from. It's similar to THE SHIELD in a way in that Tony essentially gets away, only to be stuck in such an existential torment that he can't even go to a diner with his family without seeing a threat everywhere he looks. And that's his life until the day he's done.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

I think I've changed my tune on it now, after rewatching years later but I always thought Tony lives, just under the constant uneasy threat of never knowing where the hit is going to come from. It's similar to THE SHIELD in a way in that Tony essentially gets away, only to be stuck in such an existential torment that he can't even go to a diner with his family without seeing a threat everywhere he looks. And that's his life until the day he's done.

Can't remember where it was posted, but some Sopranos fan went back and found a point where someone, maybe Tony himself, said something to the effect of "when you're taken out, you'll never see it coming. You could be doing anything, could be anywhere, and then bam... blackness".

Pretty much spells out that Tony's dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

I’m not crying. I AM NOT CRYING.

it's OK, he had continuing adventures as a spaceship captain and a cop in n'awlins with the guy from the Fast and Furious side-story