Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

givepatajob posted:

The Leftovers has my favorite though people saying The Shield aren’t wrong.

Yeah, The Leftovers is what comes to mind when I think of a series that had a perfect ending. The writers realized that their fans were divided on Knowing/ Not Knowing and wrote an amazing ending (though if the reports are true about the original author stepping in to keep the filmed ending from not being shown are true, it could have gone a much different way). I remember watching the finale with my partner and talking with them about it afterwards and realizing we'd watched the same thing and interpreted it in two completely opposed ways (I was on team Knowing).

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Jose posted:

i really need to finish the leftovers. I got like half way through the final season then stopped for some reason

I had an incredibly weird experience with this show. I went from hating it in Season 1 to really liking it in Season 2 and loving it for the end of Season 2 and 3.

In one of the original threads someone said that the show only makes sense if you experience deep loss, so I re-watched the series after that happened to me and now I love all three seasons. A lot of the weird stuff really clicks now.

It's also a great show to think about during the pandemic and seems more relevant now, with once reasonable people acting insane.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Bad Endings: Midnight Mass, somehow, despite being heavily inspired by ‘salems Lot, which has one of the only good endings Stephen King ever wrote, managed to completely gently caress up the ending. It would have been much cooler if they just went all in and the island ended up just being a haunted place where nobody goes to.

Speaking of Colm Meaney,

Good Endings: Hell on Wheels, I honestly cannot recall what happened to the main character, but Meany’s character’s end was perfect: the plot flashes forward by decades, where a near destitute Meaney sells the last of his possessions to buy a suit to wear to lunch with a former business rival, where he pretends to be successful for an afternoon and has a great time, before returning home and promptly has a fatal heart attack. Great and fitting ending to his character.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

AHH F/UGH posted:

The Leftovers. Absolutely perfect ending to an incredible and underwatched series, probably the best series of the 2010s. She did go there, it's all real
Sopranos ruled, and still rules

Agreed about Leftovers, but I originally thought that the last episode of the Sopranos was the season (half season?) finale where Tony goes to visit Johnny Sack, who's house gets raided by the FBI, and Tony has to run home. He has this weird odyssey along the way and ends up walking through his door and getting yelled at by Carmela for getting the floor dirty. I thought it was a fantastic ending and really "brought home" the fact that this was a show about family life and being middle aged. When I found out I was wrong and that there was more I was excited, but very quickly disappointed. I don't even have any strong opinions on what happened at the end, I just hated the entire final season.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Enterprise was hilariously the worst, zero confidence in their cast or story so awkwardly tried to borrow some TNG magic and it was a mess.

I think I'm the only Enterprise fan on this site, but I have never watched the final episode because I don't want to officially be "done" the series. I really liked the first couple seasons- the 9/11, angry Archer stuff was a terrible change in tone from the naive, fun series it was before imo.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Nuts and Gum posted:

I've never read Salems lot, though, so if this a retread its new to me.

The ending for SL is much better and memorable and I'd highly recommend it. I haven't done a reread for a while, I think I'll pick a copy up

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

He also has to write 2000 word reports every single day and as soon as he gets 1955 he goes to jail

He's in Hell

Edit: Wait, what? I guess the actor appeared in Sons of Anarchy and may have played the same character under an alias, on the run from the feds?

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 12, 2022

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Futurama’s final ending was good too, but man did it ever make me sad

I wonder how they plan to end the Simpsons

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Futurama had very funny episodes and then they would have literal I’m Crying episodes like the dog one and I think the joke was “We made you cry, which is very funny for us :)” for the writers

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

This thread reminded me about Nathan for You! and Nathan Fielder's constant conversation topic about how royalty free music is just as good as the stuff you hear on the radio from Big Recording Companies

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

DrVenkman posted:

I think I've changed my tune on it now, after rewatching years later but I always thought Tony lives, just under the constant uneasy threat of never knowing where the hit is going to come from. It's similar to THE SHIELD in a way in that Tony essentially gets away, only to be stuck in such an existential torment that he can't even go to a diner with his family without seeing a threat everywhere he looks. And that's his life until the day he's done.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Can't remember where it was posted, but some Sopranos fan went back and found a point where someone, maybe Tony himself, said something to the effect of "when you're taken out, you'll never see it coming. You could be doing anything, could be anywhere, and then bam... blackness".

Pretty much spells out that Tony's dead.

I've already mentioned my favored ending itt, but taking into account that last scene, I prefer DrVenkman's take on it. We get an inside glimpse into what being Tony is like after following him for so many years, and it's constant paranoia. I get the set up and rationale behind the "Tony is Killed and we see blackness" and there are a couple great YT videos that go into detail about the technical aspect (I think during some interview Chase even slipped and admitted that was the intention before James Gandolfini died and he changed his mind, saying Tony was alive), but I really like shows where things just stop for us, the viewer, and the characters keep going.

I read one theory that said that the viewer was hit and that we're the ones who see black, eh :shrug:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The only thing I remember about that thread was that there were a few goons who would become super weirdly angry whenever people mused that there was a supernatural element and started writing embarrassing strawman posts about how other goons need to stop waiting for Cthulu to burst of the ocean. It didn't help that the creator complained about people seeing it as a Lovecraf influenced show before it was revealed he plagiarized a couple Lovecraftian authors lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

MakaVillian posted:

Yeah this is my take on what happened, which I feel like David Chase confirmed right after the finale but I don't want to go looking for it.

I read an article a few months that referenced a casual interview and he was talking about filming the last season. IIRC he was naming a few important key scenes rapidly and he referred to the last scene as The Death Scene or something like that and when the interviewer pointed it out he laughed it off

I'm okay not knowing, I didn't like much about that final season anyway