Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
What movies would you say shaped your childhood? Or at least represented it? And why? For me, I would say:

1) The Last Unicorn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BONhk-hbiXk

Yeah.

I don't let my daughter watch this movie because I fear she will end up like me and also my daughter has caught me watching this movie many times.

2) Transformers: The Movie

So, the writers of this movie had an awesome mandate: no one gets out alive. They had an old toy line they wouldn't be selling and a new toy line they would be selling. The only solution was murder. It taught me how things you think you know can change due to forces you don't understand. Change and change violently.

3) Rankin Bass: The Hobbit

When I grow up, I'll understand the books my daddy reads to me. But for now, I have this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i used to watch Twins with my grandma all the time, just rewatched it the other night and it still holds up.

absolutely loved the movie Prehysteria as a kid, tried to rewatch it with my kids and other than the dinosaur effects it sucks so bad

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Sid Vicious posted:

i used to watch Twins with my grandma all the time, just rewatched it the other night and it still holds up.

absolutely loved the movie Prehysteria as a kid, tried to rewatch it with my kids and other than the dinosaur effects it sucks so bad

That's a question you should ask yourself.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I watched The Last Unicorn daily when I was four, so that's my childhood pick.

As an adult, I'm going with Watership Down. I watched it enough as a kid to destroy the VHS, but I didn't quite appreciate it how I do now. The creation sequence is my all-time favorite animated thing ever.

These also fed my love of horror with the harpy bit in TLU and the visions in WD.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Das Boo posted:

I watched The Last Unicorn daily when I was four, so that's my childhood pick.

As an adult, I'm going with Watership Down. I watched it enough as a kid to destroy the VHS, but I didn't quite appreciate it how I do now. The creation sequence is my all-time favorite animated thing ever.

These also fed my love of horror with the harpy bit in TLU and the visions in WD.

I didn't feel like I was old enough to watch Watership Down when I watched it with my daughter. As an adult, I like the Aeneid + Dreaming bit. I was able to talk to my daughter about both.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Vitruvian Manic posted:

That's a question you should ask yourself.

i didnt ask any questions, just made a post specifically about your subject, ya weirdo

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Rankin Bass Hobbit is a great shout but it then lead me down a road of confusion and disappointment when I went on the watch the LOTR cartoons and got the disjointed odd experience of half of the trilogy by Bashki and the Bass return of the king.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
As a kid I used to watch Who Framed Roger Rabbit so much I burned through at least a couple VHSes except I was terrified of the dip scene so whichever parent was present would have to fast forward past it every. single. time.

Im sorry mom and dad

Otherwise I guess I just liked the usual disney poo poo, especially Lion King, beauty and the beast and nightmare before xmas iirc. I still have one of my original lion king quilts from 1994 or whenever on my bed

e: oh yeah, was obsessed with Fivel Goes West (specifically that one)

Bismuth fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jan 10, 2022

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

great big cardboard tube posted:

Rankin Bass Hobbit is a great shout but it then lead me down a road of confusion and disappointment when I went on the watch the LOTR cartoons and got the disjointed odd experience of half of the trilogy by Bashki and the Bass return of the king.

Skip Bakashi. The only good ones are the Rankin Bass ones.

Greatest Adventure

Sixteen Birds

Roll roll roll roll (a regular hit I'd sing while on ecstacy)

Frodo of the 9 Fingers

Less Can be More

Where There's a Whip

All bangers.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
The Last Unicorn freaked me out because of that scene with the chittering rodents that melted your brain or whatever, gently caress that poo poo

My favorite was probably The Land Before Time

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I had an HBO recorded VHS copy of the Last Starfighter that I must have watched 300 times growing up. My wife and I got married in a planetarium and we had parts of the OST (and Star Trek, Star Wars, and a few others) playing during the guest seating.

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lN4Pcl_iEY

vvvv Thanks! It was quite a shindig.

DickParasite fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jan 10, 2022

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

DickParasite posted:

I had an HBO recorded VHS copy of the Last Starfighter that I must have watched 300 times growing up. My wife and I got married in a planetarium and we had parts of the OST (and Star Trek, Star Wars, and a few others) playing during the guest seating.

That sounds amazing ! I would love to have gone to your wedding.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Princess Bride

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
die hard

the matrix

terminator

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Vitruvian Manic posted:

I didn't feel like I was old enough to watch Watership Down when I watched it with my daughter. As an adult, I like the Aeneid + Dreaming bit. I was able to talk to my daughter about both.

Y' done well! I don't blame you, either; it's pretty horrific even by adult standards. A lot of attention paid to animating foam and guts. I think kid me was terribly impressed with an animation trusting me to watch as an adult and not shielding me from all the ugliness. I was the baby of my family and kinda resented not being in the know.

It's also one of the few animated films where adult means "philosophical concepts" rather than "boob boob gently caress." Which I also resent as a boob-haver.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Its a bit of a goofy answer but i loved Disney's Hercules. I just thought it was badass.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
D.A.R.Y.L.

The Boy Who Could Fly

The Goonies

Spaced Aliens

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure

The Secret of NIMH

Devils Affricate posted:

The Last Unicorn freaked me out because of that scene with the chittering rodents that melted your brain or whatever, gently caress that poo poo

My favorite was probably The Land Before Time

My man :cool::respek::cool:

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
From watching Little Monsters (Fred Savage & Howie Mandel) , I learned piss is a suitable replacement for apple juice and is so delicious it is my favorite drink to this day .

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Wilkins Micawber posted:

From watching Little Monsters (Fred Savage & Howie Mandel) , I learned piss is a suitable replacement for apple juice and is so delicious it is my favorite drink to this day .

It's also good bully repellant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpqgTnvWR1w

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Excalibur: I was probably way too young the first time I saw this (5 or 6) but I still watch it maybe once a year.

Trains, Plains, and Automobiles: That one scene when John Candy's character says "I like me. My wife like's me." and then you find out that his wife had died remains one of the most touching moments in any movie I've seen.

Jaws: At the time I saw it I was maybe 8 or 9 and lived at a small coastal village and I couldn't go to the beach for months after. I'm still absolutely terrified of sharks.

The Three Amigos: I don't have anything to say other than I watched it so much I wore out the tape. I don't think it's funny at all anymore and I was too young to get most of the jokes at the time.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
The Wizard is probably the most definitive movie of my childhood OP

I am a huge dork

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Gremlins is the answer. If you want an ultimately harmless movie that will make your kid feel like they're daringly watching something forbidden and weird that's the ticket.

I watched Big Trouble in Little China so much when I was a kid that the last time I hired the tape my mum yelled at me and made me take it back to exchange it.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Those absolutely stunning mid-90s adaptations of The Secret Garden and A Little Princess. They are just balls to the wall beautiful cinematic magic.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Winnie the Pooh and Gulliver's Travels, both recorded off the TV and Gulliver lacking the first ten or so minutes. Didn't had any more as a kid, only later we borrowed some stuff like Toy Story from our much richer family friends

laserghost fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jan 10, 2022

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

My best friend's mum let us watch whatever. Robocop, Total Recall, Predator, Conan the Barbarian etc were some of my favourites, both for being awesome in their own right and for the feeling of getting away with something without my mum finding out.

Also Flash Gordon. When I was too young to understand the concept of "camp" I could just enjoy it as an amazing adventure. Rewatching as an adult, it still brings happy feelings and I can't help but grin as Brian Blessed leads the Hawkmen in to battle

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
I must have watched Homeward Bound over hundred times when I was little. I even knew how to work the laserdisc player by the age of 3 in order to watch it on my own. Homeward Bound 2 was pretty good too

Brave Little Toaster was absolutely the first movie I can remember that made me feel things I couldn’t properly process at a young age. I haven’t seen it in over 20 years and so much of it is still perfectly visible in my mind.

Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland was radder than gently caress and there a was kid in my kindergarten class named Nemo and I thought he was the coolest. I told him about the movie and he came over to watch it and thought it was awesome too! We were best friends until he moved away at the end of the year… drat I haven’t thought about that in years. Hope you’ve lived a cool life since then Nemo!

Reiche fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jan 10, 2022

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I just bought The Last Unicorn on Blu-ray after having seen it for the first time in probably 30-35 years. The moment I saw and heard the butterfly and the music by America started, a wave of childhood innocence and happiness rushed over me, and for a brief moment, I was young again :3: As an adult, I must say it’s a beautiful film. Same goes for Watership Down. I think it’s a rite of passage for everyone to see Watership Down and/or The Plague Dogs as wee youngins because they’re animated films, and parents know animation is for children, right? :v:

Younger Elf watched a 1974 musical anime version of Jack & the Beanstalk probably daily. HBO used to show it all the time, and my copy was recorded from there. When my copy finally wore out, we would just record it from HBO again and repeat the process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otHVQVdcvIM

I find myself whistling or humming “No One’s Happier Than I” or “Tulip! Why Are Yo So Dumb?” at random points in my life. About 15 years ago, it finally released on DVD and I bought it officially. Good thing, too because it went out of print and now commands stupid prices online. It’s still charming after all these years.

Same “taped from HBO and watched daily” energy with Twice Upon a Time from 1983.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqCRgiHHvB4

I loved the Lumage style of animation and the killer soundtrack. The plot is great, and the improvised dialogue is what really makes it stand out from just an ordinary film. I would shank a bitch to get a boutique Criterion-esque Blu-Ray release of this movie with a ton of extras and the full uncensored cut of the film. I know it’s on Warner Archives for purchase, but I can burn a DVD myself of it (which I did years ago from a legit VHS copy I own). I just want a good official copy of it :(

Then my only male cousin and I went to go see The Goonies at the drive-in with my aunt, and for a few years that was my absolute favorite film. My cousin and I would even quote it non-stop and reenact scenes from the film :3:

As I turned older, the newer favorite films became:

An American Tail
The Land Before Time
Who Framed Roger Rabbit
Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure
The Wizard
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Movie
Dick Tracy
Beauty & the Beast

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

You Are A Elf posted:

… because they’re animated films, and parents know animation is for children, right? :v:

Just remembered, Heavy Metal and anything Bakshi falls under this category. I mean, I watched Heavy Metal and American Pop CONSTANTLY. Wizards, too.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Sorry I made an effort post and silenced the thread :(

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
No mention of The NeverEnding Story yet? Probably that and The Land Before Time. I watched those on VHS a lot as a kid.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

As a youngster: I watched Return to Oz in Kindergarten; it blew my mind. It was a mindfuck and totally subverted my expectations as to what Oz could be. I later found out that the books were much darker than the original movie and Return to Oz matches the mood much better.

Honorable mentions: Flight of the Navigator, Arachnophobia (the first PG13 movie my parents let me watch), Neverending Story, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Dark Crystal, Honey I Shrunk the Kids, The Transformers Movie. Of course all the Disney flicks; Rescuers Down Under is one I don't see mentioned too often that I loved.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

neato burrito posted:

As a youngster: I watched Return to Oz in Kindergarten; it blew my mind. It was a mindfuck and totally subverted my expectations as to what Oz could be. I later found out that the books were much darker than the original movie and Return to Oz matches the mood much better.

Honorable mentions: Flight of the Navigator, Arachnophobia (the first PG13 movie my parents let me watch), Neverending Story, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Dark Crystal, Honey I Shrunk the Kids.

Oh yeah Flight of the Navigator was real good.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
God drat now I gota find flight of the navigator and the last starfighter for this weekend thanks a lot. No seriously thanks.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

It was on Disney+ at one point, may still be there.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Oliver & Company and The Aristocats were my childhood-defining-est movies. :unsmith:

Sometimes I think I might be the only person on earth who has never seen the Land Before Time movies or Brave Little Toaster.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Kids is a good movie about childhood.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

the flight of dragons, my favorite movie of all time as a kid.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
I loved all the old herbie movies. no idea if they hold up, they were corny even then. my favorite was the third one, herbie goes to monte carlo, mainly cause we'd been able to tape it off tv by chance and i was thus able to watch it 1000 times. i wonder if me getting into wrc/rally like 15+ years later was related to be obsessing as a ten year old over a movie about the rally monte carlo

Pulvis Sumus
Jul 27, 2011

Aishlinn posted:

the flight of dragons, my favorite movie of all time as a kid.

Yeah, this and any of the other Rankin & Bass animations mentioned in this thread (The Last Unicorn, The Hobbit/Return of the King). My wife and I regularly exclaim "By all the beards of antiquity!" at each other. Don McLean singing the opening song still lingers in my mind pretty clearly to this day. R&B did a pretty good job of providing creative adaptations of fantasy works for young kids back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Muppet Treasure Island and Christmas Carol as classics.

Edit: also Last Starfight. That scene where they melt the guy was a real shock to young me.