Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Their starting QB went down, the backup QB was out for half their games, their 1WR missed the whole season with injury, half the roster caught Covid at the same time, and their offensive line was a mash unit and they still just barely missed the playoffs.

They’re about as beat up as the Ravens and have pretty much the same record.

The first seed in the AFC has been absolutely bizarre all year. A terrible Ravens team injured to hell and back much worse than they were the season before. An okay but not that special Pats team who fell rear end backwards into it. A massively injured Titans team whose quarterback had his worst season for a long time

Kalli posted:

The Raiders went 7-5 after firing Gruden

It was funny how basically nothing at all seemed to change in terms of the way the team performed. Maybe the head coach has a lot less to do with overall performance within a season than is sometimes thought??? :thunk:

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Ok then Goon info is worthless because I obviously didn’t see a single second of 2019 Oregon football. I just saw the college stats, which look good, and posted earlier this year “wow it’s amazing how Herbert might be the best QB out of the 2020 draft and everyone was all over Burrow and Tua after no one really thought he’d be good even with good stats” and goons were all “lol idiot Herbert was not overlooked he was one of the consensus best QBs in the class!”

I mean technically he was not overlooked at all, he was still a consensus first round pick, he just had a much higher than average rate of people doubting how successful he could be in the pros. Both here and everywhere else, pretty much.

His performances have been crazy though. It's honestly like watching a completely different guy than college Justin, and I have no clue whatsoever as to how he did that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

a neat cape posted:

One of these players was throwing to Justin Jefferson and Jamar Chase. Another was throwing to Jalen Waddle and Jerry Jeudy. The third was throwing to CJ Verdell and Mycah Pittman.

Not saying Herbert didn't have issues in college, but added to those issues was zero talent around him and an insanely conservative coach and game plan

There was a talent disparity, for sure, but I put it mostly down to the coaching really holding him back, both in the game plans and just in teaching him how to do things correctly mentally and mechanically. He was basically getting by on raw talent at Oregon. Working with Pep really sanded off his rough edges. If he’d played for a guy like Lincoln Riley or Ryan Day he’d have won a Heisman.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/JoelAErickson/status/1480622340488769537

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

There was a talent disparity, for sure, but I put it mostly down to the coaching really holding him back, both in the game plans and just in teaching him how to do things correctly mentally and mechanically. He was basically getting by on raw talent at Oregon. Working with Pep really sanded off his rough edges. If he’d played for a guy like Lincoln Riley or Ryan Day he’d have won a Heisman.
I agree a hundred percent.

I'm just glad he's ours

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Codependent Poster posted:

I was gonna root for the Raiders because of Madden, but they did two things last night that are unforgivable: they avoided a tie and they let the Steelers in the playoffs.

The Colts let the Steelers in the playoffs.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Mega64 posted:

however the colts also prevented the colts from making the playoffs, which is good

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Play posted:

It was funny how basically nothing at all seemed to change in terms of the way the team performed. Maybe the head coach has a lot less to do with overall performance within a season than is sometimes thought??? :thunk:

I would imagine bisaccia had a very light touch during prep and game day and let the coordinators more or less call their games, an effort only former interim head coach Marv Levy could truly appreciate

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

There’s a giant dead cap hit if they cut him right?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean good on him for not getting into sunk cost I guess?

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

There’s a giant dead cap hit if they cut him right?
Yeah, but don’t the Colts have a ton of cap space?
They could probably eat Wentz’s contract and then do something like pay Winston or eat Cousins’ contract.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Funny day for the league tbh

https://twitter.com/maxmarkhamnfl/status/1480622087551139840?s=21

https://twitter.com/maxmarkhamnfl/status/1480627249015443458?s=21

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

An amazing thread that made me lol when it got to Ben

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
https://twitter.com/lockedoncolts/status/1480391069007114243?s=21

Carson “can’t miss” Wentz

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'm face blind so, you know, but I thought that was a picture of Zac Taylor, instead of Jones.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 10, 2022

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

I mean, regarding the meme, extremely :same:

I’m glad Andrew Luck decided he’d had enough and went to live his life with his family, but drat he was fun to watch.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Andrew Luck was awesome. Is he too banged up or could someone convince him to come back and throw for them?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Gatts posted:

Andrew Luck was awesome. Is he too banged up or could someone convince him to come back and throw for them?

He’s never gonna play again. He was pretty clearly done with constantly rehabbing when he retired in the 2019 preseason and by all accounts was happy to go off with his wife and baby.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Gatts posted:

He got beat up a lot, though I think it wasn’t JUST the fault of bad o-lines, and it sensibly caused him to just not want to play this death sport anymore. He’s moved on.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Really good thread. Especially liked Stafford, Kyler, Lamar and Tannehill

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Didn't realize the Daniel Jones thing was a joke at first and legitimately thought he did that during the offseason.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Geno Smith was boozin and crusin

https://twitter.com/AshleyLolaRyan/status/1480624789702123521?t=b2LUfBB_3Ix3KXtsXwJe5Q&s=19

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Mega64 posted:

No, the Colts opened the door for a magical moment in which if two teams that played each other came to a tie, they would both get in. One of these teams had the chance to let that happen, but chose not to.

Gatts posted:

I'm pretty sure he's happy with life as is and has no desire to return to football. But if he did, the Colts have his contract so he would have to play for them, or a team would have to trade for him. Obviously the Colts would take him back in a heartbeat.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He got beat up a lot, though I think it wasn’t JUST the fault of bad o-lines, and it sensibly caused him to just not want to play this death sport anymore. He’s moved on.

I honestly feel like this wouldn't have happened if he came out of college like 5 to 7 years later than he did, after they really started protecting qbs from getting leveled in the pocket. Yeah they had a bad O line but he was also getting assaulted back there by pass rushers because they could

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

andrew weighed 172 pounds when he retired. i doubt he could throw the football further than 8 yards with the zip that an nfl quarterback requires. it was very sad to see him villainized for that.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

That's actually a really good answer.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

did george really say "And we left it at that."?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Cavauro posted:

did george really say "And we left it at that."?

power move if so

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

Codependent Poster posted:

No, the Colts opened the door for a magical moment in which if two teams that played each other came to a tie, they would both get in. One of these teams had the chance to let that happen, but chose not to.

One team seemed pretty loving content just running clock until the other team called a timeout which violated the trust clause so their hand was forced.

Calling a timeout in that situation makes you seem sketchy so they brought that poo poo on themselves. You're mad at the wrong team.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Andrew Luck is a skeleton now. Any rumors of him coming back can be dug up, tossed into an incinerator and reburied

https://twitter.com/RealQuintonMayo/status/1480688358225551363?t=J4ERb5pHaeajz4kUPmVZmA&s=19

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Andrew Luck is a skeleton now. Any rumors of him coming back can be dug up, tossed into an incinerator and reburied

https://twitter.com/RealQuintonMayo/status/1480688358225551363?t=J4ERb5pHaeajz4kUPmVZmA&s=19

He looks 45 years old

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Black Sunshine posted:

One team seemed pretty loving content just running clock until the other team called a timeout which violated the trust clause so their hand was forced.

Calling a timeout in that situation makes you seem sketchy so they brought that poo poo on themselves. You're mad at the wrong team.
Raiders opened that drive with passes on 3 of 4 plays, were advancing the ball in big chunks, and were lining up in a 3wr shotgun set when the timeout was called (it was gonna be a run but they were spreading the field to do it), they were always trying to score.

calling a TO when staley did makes it less likely that he's trying to get the ball back, if he actually was he woulda called it 30 seconds earlier or held it for his offense

and even if the trust clause was broken or whatever dumb concept you're applying here the raiders still called a timeout with 2 seconds left and sent their kicker out with instructions to make the kick. they absolutely coulda just let the clock run out, they didn't want to tie so they didn't

wyoak fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 11, 2022

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/BetMGM/status/1480692889768312833

Play
Apr 25, 2006

wyoak posted:

Raiders opened that drive with passes on 3 of 4 plays, were advancing the ball in big chunks, and were lining up in a 3wr shotgun set when the timeout was called (it was gonna be a run but they were spreading the field to do it), they were always trying to score.

calling a TO when staley did makes it less likely that he's trying to get the ball back, if he actually was he woulda called it 30 seconds earlier or held it for his offense

and even if the trust clause was broken or whatever dumb concept you're applying here the raiders still called a timeout with 2 seconds left and sent their kicker out with instructions to make the kick. they absolutely coulda just let the clock run out, they didn't want to tie so they didn't

I don't think they could legitimately NOT take that kick after they got set up with the Jacobs run. That would risk punishment from the league for anti-competitive practices.

Everything about their affect seemed to suggest that they were relatively comfortable to let the time run out before that timeout/Jacobs run. Whether it was just the run itself or whether the timeout had something to do with it no one's gonna say at this point. And the Raiders did have a small reason to want to win and get the Bengals rather than the Chiefs (although whether that's a huge difference who knows).

Personally I'm a little mad at both teams. It takes two to purposefully tie a game and there was no trust in this prisoner's dilemma. Tut tut

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I mean…couldn’t have the kicker have a comedic slip and fall and dribbled the ball forward on the ground as time ran out?

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Play posted:

I don't think they could legitimately NOT take that kick after they got set up with the Jacobs run. That would risk punishment from the league for anti-competitive practices.

Everything about their affect seemed to suggest that they were relatively comfortable to let the time run out before that timeout/Jacobs run. Whether it was just the run itself or whether the timeout had something to do with it no one's gonna say at this point. And the Raiders did have a small reason to want to win and get the Bengals rather than the Chiefs (although whether that's a huge difference who knows).

Personally I'm a little mad at both teams. It takes two to purposefully tie a game and there was no trust in this prisoner's dilemma. Tut tut
before the timeout: lining up in a shotgun formation, going to run the ball (and they had just gained 7 yards in the same set).
after the timeout: line up under center, run the ball (gained 10 yards)

They coulda lined up in victory formation or pulled a joe judge special before the timeout (or after, or three plays earlier) if they really wanted to run the clock out. Teams have accepted ties in OT games before and those didn't even have a playoff berth at stake!

It didn't change the Raiders overall strategy of "hey we're running the ball and then we're gonna kick a FG" at all. Taking the timeout with under 40 seconds is an absolute sign that the Chargers are playing for the tie, since Staley uses it 30 seconds earlier if he actually wants the ball back (or holds it for his offense). The Raiders have been blown out by the Chiefs twice this year and would have zero chance of a home playoff game if they tie vs a small chance of a home playoff game if they win (plus knocking out a division rival), setting up for a last second kick makes total sense from their perspective.

I do get it, i was rooting hard for the tie, but putting the raiders win on the timeout is flat wrong

wyoak fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 11, 2022

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Play posted:

You could easily say you were trying to avoid a kick-6 situation.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Gatts posted:

I mean…couldn’t have the kicker have a comedic slip and fall and dribbled the ball forward on the ground as time ran out?
Sure but I think the raiders would rather go to Cinci than KC

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

bows1 posted:

Really good thread. Especially liked Stafford, Kyler, Lamar and Tannehill

I like this one

https://twitter.com/thesarahyork/status/1480383558636253191

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
To me you can't go into the playoffs worried about playing this team or that team. You're going to have to beat multiple good teams consecutively so you might as well suck it up and get in and face whoever even if that's the Chiefs the first game. Then you win and you're the team to be feared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
it's pretty rare to have such an obvious choice in front of you, but getting a higher seed is generally better anyway

also it'd be pretty embarrassing to intentionally tie a team to get both of you in, only to have them knock you out of the playoffs later