Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Kawalimus posted:

To me you can't go into the playoffs worried about playing this team or that team. You're going to have to beat multiple good teams consecutively so you might as well suck it up and get in and face whoever even if that's the Chiefs the first game. Then you win and you're the team to be feared.

As a Niners fan, I ain't worried about poo poo. We're playing with house money at this point so whatever happens, happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

As a Niners fan, I ain't worried about poo poo. We're playing with house money at this point so whatever happens, happens.

I meant about worrying about what intentionally tying would do for the Raiders. Not what the 49ers or other teams end up with. Because to me you don't worry about who else is in the playoffs. You just hope your team will play well. Just like when the Ravens had to go to Denver in 2012. We had to play a great game to win.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Andrew Luck is a skeleton now. Any rumors of him coming back can be dug up, tossed into an incinerator and reburied

https://twitter.com/RealQuintonMayo/status/1480688358225551363?t=J4ERb5pHaeajz4kUPmVZmA&s=19

holy poo poo

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He looks 45 years old

I'm 45 and look ten years younger than him

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
https://twitter.com/BetMGM/status/1480708123103047686

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Andrew Luck looks waaaaay older than Tom Brady. Wild.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Kawalimus posted:

We had to play a great game to win.
Rahim Moore still hasn’t turned around

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

wandler20 posted:

All the strawberries, they’ll getcha

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

wandler20 posted:

Everytime you say something like this a bit of your lifeforce goes into his sunburn-resistant water bottle and de-ages him another hour

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Kawalimus posted:

To me you can't go into the playoffs worried about playing this team or that team.

Username-post antimatter-explosion

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

I’m not sure if that mustache is amazing or terrible. The answer is probably “yes”.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

fartknocker posted:

I’m not sure if that mustache is amazing or terrible. The answer is probably “yes”.

honestly he may as well go for looking like a modern frank zappa, it's not like he's ever been an attractive person in any sense of the word.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Raku posted:

honestly he may as well go for looking like a modern frank zappa, it's not like he's ever been an attractive person in any sense of the word.

Much like Luck, Frank Zappa owned.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Too good not to share:

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Tom Tucker posted:

Everytime you say something like this a bit of your lifeforce goes into his sunburn-resistant water bottle and de-ages him another hour

How much? The 04-20 Bucs teams did enough damage to me that it might end up being a wash.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

I haven't though about Justin Blackmon in years. Huh.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Looking forward to Andrew Luck’s guest appearances on Red Letter Media.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

nikosoft posted:

I haven't though about Justin Blackmon in years. Huh.

There's only 2 in the top ten, 9 was Luke and 10 was Gilmore

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

e: whoops other football thread

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Tannewheels :getin:

That's also the draft that the browns spent their two first round picks on Trent and Brandon Weeden

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Luck looks like he hangs around a lotta high school parking lots after football games.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Uncle Rico after a haircut.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

GM names to watch: https://theathletic.com/3029705/2022/01/11/the-bears-giants-and-vikings-are-looking-for-new-gms-here-are-46-names-already-in-the-pipeline/

quote:

the list:
  • Interviewed 3 Times in 2021:
    • Louis Riddick, ESPN analyst, age 52
    • Omar Khan, Pittsburgh Steelers vice president of football and business administration, age 44
    • Rick Smith, former Houston Texans GM, age 51
  • Interviewed twice
    • Ed Dodds, Indianapolis Colts assistant GM, age 41
    • Champ Kelly, Chicago Bears assistant director of player personnel, age 42
    • Jeff Ireland, Saints assistant GM and college scouting coordinator, age 51
    • Jerry Reese, former Giants GM, age 58
  • Interviewed once in 2021 cycle (plus previously since 2015)
    • Trent Kirchner, Seahawks vice president of player personnel, age 44
    • Ray Farmer, Rams senior personnel executive, age 47
    • Ryan Cowden, Titans vice president of player personnel, age 43
    • Monti Ossenfort, Titans director of player personnel, age 43
    • Marty Hurney, Washington Football Team executive vice president of football/player personnel, age 66
  • Interviewed once in 2021 cycle
    • Kwesi Adofo-Mensah, Browns vice president of football operations, age 40
    • Matt Bazirgan, Texans assistant director of player personnel, age 44
    • Morocco Brown, Colts director of college scouting, age 45
    • Scott Cohen, Ravens director of football research, age 52
    • Thomas Dimitroff, former Falcons GM, age 55
    • Rob Lohman, Lions director of pro scouting, age 45
    • Nick Matteo, Ravens vice president of football administration, age 37
    • Lance Newmark, Lions director of player personnel, age 46
    • Kyle O’Brien, Giants senior personnel executive, age 43
    • Adam Peters, 49ers assistant GM, age 42
    • Scott Pioli, former Falcons assistant GM, age 56
    • Ryan Poles, Chiefs executive director of player personnel, age 36
    • Nick Polk, former Falcons director of football operations, age 57
    • Anthony Robinson, Falcons director of college scouting, age 44
    • Joe Schoen, Bills assistant GM, age 42
    • Brian Stark, Broncos director of college scouting, age 48
    • Pat Stewart, Panthers vice president of player personnel, age 40
    • Eric Stokes, Washington senior director of player personnel, age 48
    • Samir Suleiman, Panthers director of player negotiations and salary cap manager, age 46
    • Brandt Tilis, Chiefs vice president of football operations, age 36
    • JoJo Wooden, Chargers director of player personnel, age 52
    • Dave Ziegler, Patriots director of player personnel, age 44
  • NFL Football Operations Minority GM Candidate Roster
    • Marvin Allen, Dolphins assistant GM, age 56
    • Dawn Aponte, NFL Chief Football Administrative Officer, age 50
    • Brandon Brown, Eagles director of player personnel, age 33
    • Trey Brown, former Eagles director of college scouting, age 36
    • Ran Carthon, 49ers director of pro personnel, age 40
    • Jacqueline Davidson, Buccaneers director of football research, age 40
    • Dwayne Joseph, Raiders director of pro scouting, age 49
    • Reggie McKenzie, Dolphins senior personnel executive, age 58
    • Vincent Newsome, Ravens senior personnel executive, age 60
    • Roman Phifer, Broncos personnel executive, age 53
    • Catherine Raîche, Eagles vice president of football operations, age 32
    • Adrian Wilson, Cardinals vice president of pro personnel, age 42
    • plus Morocco Brown, Ray Farmer, Champ Kelly, Omar Khan, Ryan Poles, Louis Riddick, Samir Suleiman, and JoJo Wooden (all listed above)
I don't expect any surprise hires outside this group. Khan, Dodds, Cowden, Ossenfort, Morocco Brown, and Joe Schoen look the most promising to me, judging entirely secondhand from how these teams have built up their rosters.

edit: this was meant to go into the hot seat thread, but enjoy!

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 11, 2022

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I remember someone making the joke that NFL players either get really skinny or really fat post retirement, there's no in between.

Usually linemen get skinny since they aren't eating 6000 calories to keep their weight on, but still continue to work out.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

seiferguy posted:

I remember someone making the joke that NFL players either get really skinny or really fat post retirement, there's no in between.

Usually linemen get skinny since they aren't eating 6000 calories to keep their weight on, but still continue to work out.

Joe Thomas got neither. He got JACKED

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
MLB has me wondering

Do the two sides of a CBA always wait til lockout years to figure things out or do the negotiations only get coverage in lockout years?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

boop the snoot posted:

MLB has me wondering

Do the two sides of a CBA always wait til lockout years to figure things out or do the negotiations only get coverage in lockout years?

Negotiations are always occurring in certain ways because ideally they'd have a new CBA signed prior to the end of the old one. Most industries aren't waiting until strike/lockout to sort out their CBA. Baseball and football have a bunch of rear end in a top hat owners who have the ability to drag their feet in a way that most industries cannot.

So with professional sports, you will typically have these last minute scrambles that also coincide with lockouts/strikes. In the rest of the world, CBA renewals are routinely negotiated and approved prior to the expiration of the old one.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Jerry Jones and his 30 buddies are some of the richest people ever and they have complete ownership and control of the product they're selling. The labor position in the NFL is necessarily different than say a unionized grocery store.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Luck looks like he hangs around a lotta high school parking lots after football games.

He looks like Cliff Clavin after overdosing on Slim-Fast.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

SKULL.GIF posted:

GM names to watch: https://theathletic.com/3029705/2022/01/11/the-bears-giants-and-vikings-are-looking-for-new-gms-here-are-46-names-already-in-the-pipeline/

I don't expect any surprise hires outside this group. Khan, Dodds, Cowden, Ossenfort, Morocco Brown, and Joe Schoen look the most promising to me, judging entirely secondhand from how these teams have built up their rosters.

edit: this was meant to go into the hot seat thread, but enjoy!

Louis Riddick is one of the few bright spots on the standard ESPN MNF telecast imo. It would be a shame for that broadcast to get even worse but if he has the chops for a GM position then I hope he gets the opportunity.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

Jerry Jones and his 30 buddies are some of the richest people ever and they have complete ownership and control of the product they're selling. The labor position in the NFL is necessarily different than say a unionized grocery store.

And ironically enough even the unionized grocery workers seem to wait to the last minute to redo their contracts.
https://www.9news.com/article/money/business/king-soopers-strike-labor-union-press-conference/73-115f2068-2f3d-4615-ac32-17c700a71b9e

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

It really owns that there's a million+ covid cases in the US per day now, but the NFL has effectively zero because they stopped testing.

Playoffs baby, let's go!!!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Kalli posted:

It really owns that there's a million+ covid cases in the US per day now, but the NFL has effectively zero because they stopped testing.

Playoffs baby, let's go!!!

Can't wait until some player or their family member inevitably gets sick and dies.

NFL basically just realized that covid testing was having a negative effect on the product, and in a Trumpian move of epic proportions just decides to stop testing.

It's loving amazing. The American ability to stick our heads in the sand and pretend nothing is happening is truly remarkable

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
The Los Angeles Rams are going to win the Super Bowl

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

DariusLikewise posted:

Which one?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

DariusLikewise posted:

That's a bold statement, Cotton

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

DariusLikewise posted:

Better hope the Super Bowl gets moved out of SoFi.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Stolen from Reddit because I like neat graphics.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Diva Cupcake posted:

Stolen from Reddit because I like neat graphics.

It's really amazing the Bengals never won a post season game since realignment with so many appearances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Tom Brady is so old he won playoff games back when New Orleans, Atlanta and Carolina were in the NFC West.