Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I started listening to this a week or two ago, and have listened to the first 3 episodes, along with some of the newer ones around the Sandy Hook trial and the couple recommended in the OP, and the Bill Ayers interview was by far the most fun one just because the guy dunked on Alex so loving hard and to a large degree, Alex didn't even seem to know what to do with it beyond constantly shift the narrative in hopes he'd stumble in to some kind of answer. Plus, I'd never heard of Bill Ayers, but he seemed like an interesting dude and Jordan's reactions to him were great. However, there's just no way I'm going through all 700 odd episodes of this, because the subject matter isn't that interesting or entertaining. I'm not looking for "Alex is humiliated" stuff as such, but are there any other recommendations for episodes with interestings guests, or where Jordan gets really into it; or just Alex gets inadvertantly humiliated will do too, I guess, since it probably has more of Jordan laughing his rear end off in the background, mic down to save the audio?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
So I'm listening to "Formuliac Objections 09" at the moment, and almost every exchange they play from the courtroom where the lawyer is asking him a question has one or two people in the background, presumably Jones' lawyer(s) saying "objection" or "objection on/of the form" (I think that's it at least) and literally nothing coming of it, despite them saying it multiple times in almost every exchange. What's actually happening there? Are Jones' lawyers trying to object in really stupid ways so often that everyone, including but not limited to, the judge is just ignoring them?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Staggy posted:

#30: April 14, 2017

Wherein Jordan learns about the proud boys for the first time.

I'm grateful for the recs in general, but I do want to specifically thank you for this one because I'm nearly finished it at the moment (it's the only rec I've listend to yet) and it's been loving wonderful. Jordan is so angry and emotive throughout, for pretty understandable reasons, and the history/insights that Dan offers into the Proud Boys are great. They sound so harmless and silly in concept, for a group that are so loving virulent in reality.

Dan telling Jordan that this next clip will make him angry, before wondering if maybe he should just take the microphone away from Jordan instead of having him put it down and then hearing Jordan angrily screaming in the background as the interview plays :kiss:

I loved Jordan telling Dan that he can never see him in the same light after making him aware of this too, that even when they go out for drinks together and if they're having a good time, Jordan will still be having that good time with a little voice in the back of his head going "this guy told you about the Proud Boys; gently caress him".

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

KitConstantine posted:

The place where ideals run up against reality is that there are genuinely some people - serial rapists, murderers, virulent active racists, etc - that are literally incorrigible. They won't stop unless they are forced to stop. They will hurt people and/or society if given access to them.

There has to be a way to deal with those people and unfortunately there's not so many ways to deny someone access to people or society without locking them up :(

The place where reality could make some concessions to ideals is that maybe prisons don't need to be barren holes you shove a person in to abandon them for however long if you're not profiting off them instead, and perhaps prisoners deserve some compassion and help to overcome whatever issues landed them there in the first place. Alex Jones would undoubtedly scoff at the prospect of talking to counsellors or psychologists, but it's pretty obvious he's in need of some regardless as an example.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Why is wearing a gimp mask? Is he just cold? Has Alex already run out of money to pay for heating?

tsob fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Dec 1, 2022

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

He did something similar where he wore a mask all the time while creating an album. He even lived in the basement of a stadium while working on it.

I guess I'm exposing my ignorance of Ye, because that makes him sound like a big ol' weirdo but then I think that kind of jives with the general perception of him? I'm a near 40 year old White guy from Ireland and I don't think I've ever consciously heard one of his songs. I almost certainly heard some in passing or something, but yeah, he's well outside my bubble :blush:

That said, even as someone new to the pod I'm looking forward to the episode about this, just because I was already curious after hearing about the dinner how a discussion between a White Supremacist (which is how Fuentes is generally getting described) and any Black person they have to at least pretend civility with would go. Adding Alex to the mix, along with commentary must be gold.

tsob fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 1, 2022

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Is anyone sure it is Ye, out of interest? Since he is in a full face mask and all? Like, I know gently caress all about the guy but is this consistent with his behavior to go full bore "Actually, Hitler was a pretty cool guy"? Could someone be playing a really elaborate prank on Alex?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Well then...guess I'll be getting the metaphorical bucket of popcorn out for Friday afternoon. Or evening presumably, GMT.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Is Alex being out conspiracy nuttered on his own conspiracy nut show? Is he the sane one in that cast, desperately trying to contain the other guy? That's honestly pretty astounding.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
What time/zone do episodes normally release, out of interest? I wouldn't normally be bothered, but this episode promises to be a banger and I'm curious if it'll be (roughly) early evening GMT, midnight etc for me due to timezones.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The episode is showing for me in Pocketcasts, having shown up sometime in the last few minutes. Why, yes I have been :f5:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Xiahou Dun posted:

gently caress you, stupid iOS default podcast app I’m too lazy to change.

I’ve got a mess of drugs and a pile of crosswords ; this is my plan for the night because I’m precisely that cool.

Is it bad that I'm envious of you? 'Cause I'm playing Rogue Legacy 2 on Switch in bed while listening to the episode. So you know, the bar can always be lower.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Read something from one of the FB groups that said the Bandwidth bill from all the people watching Ye is what forced Alex to file for personal bankruptcy. He was always going to file, but this made him file earlier than he planned. He might be able to dodge the bill if he's actively in bankruptcy

Didn't Dan say as much at the end of the episode? I thought he had at least. It'd be pretty funny if the thing that sunk Alex was him bringing on a major celebrity he couldn't even control and that created so much traffic it hosed him financially as well as undercutting him in front of his audience because they're so full throated about their heinous opinions talk in front of and even over him on his own show; especially when it may have left Alex not only financially drained, but emotionally drained to because he realized he had no control, and was being out played at his own game to some extent.

Antigravitas posted:

Bandwidth is cheap and typically billed at the end of the month. It's an excuse.

I mean, conceivably with someone you know is in financial trouble like Alex a company might be keeping an eye on payments more closely, and checking he can make them after major expenses come through. If it was an excuse then he probably wouldn't have bothered cutting it for one, and would more than likely have used it as a spring board to hawk products and beg for donations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
What's even going to happen with Infowars now that Alex has declared bankruptcy and couldn't pay his bandwidth? Or will that even have any notable effect on the site/Alex?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Wait...Ye is actually running for president? The 2023 primaries and 2024 presidential election in America are just going to be a loving mess aren't they? It can see it tearing the Republicans apart, because DeSantis will probably win since Trump has traded in whatever good will he had with a lot of people (if he hasn't been arrested by then), while Ye will presumably never even be taken seriously enough to be put on a debate stage (especially since he doesn't come off as someone who'd hold back on his abhorrent views during televised national debates on major news networks) and both Trump and Ye are too egotistical to accept that, so both will probably run as independents and leech support from DeSantis. With all least DeSantis and Trump whining about fraud once they lose. And all 3 will certainly turn on each other in interviews once they do lose, blaming the other two for not supporting them.

poo poo, with the Tories slowly imploding in the UK as well, next year might be actually be good in a horrifying way and see both parties torch themselves as they make efforts to hold onto what power they have left.

tsob fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 9, 2022

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Xiahou Dun posted:

Hypothesis : Alex doesn’t know what the word “context” means that’s why he think a 20 minute clip can be out of context. He just knows it’s what people say when he shows clips of them. He just is cargo culting that.

Not really related in any way, but something that I've noticed listening to episodes around the election is that Alex seems to talk about people being "awake" a lot. I haven't really paid enough attention to categorize what he's talking about whenever he uses that word, but it jumps out in retrospect just because of all the right wing backlash over "wokeness", which he probably traffics in himself. I'm presuming he's mostly on about people being aware of "globalist" plots when he uses it, but I find it funny to imagine people accusing him of being part of the woke mind virus or whatever shitslinging catchphrase is in vogue with the right wing media that day because he keeps talking about people being "awake".

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

teen witch posted:

I do like that Dan pointed out that the thing about this case is not that it was an anomaly in that it happened, but in that it was loving de rigueur at FSS. Something did not go wrong at infowars, this is what they do, and have done, and will potentially continue to do.

I feel the slightest twinge of sympathy for Jacobson as I think he was, or is at currently, facing himself in the mirror so to say. I’m hoping he continues to do so.

They mentioned in this episode that there's proof that Jacobson pushed back about Sandy Hook and that others have corroborated some of the things he said in terms of abuse he got, is that from other depositions or just articles floating around they've talked about or what? I'm only dipping into some of the more interesting sounding current episodes as, after enjoying a sample platter of episodes from recommendations, I decided to dip back to around about the election to see what the episodes were like, and have been grinding through the episodes from that point consecutively after enjoying them as background listening while doing other things.

The Steve Pieczenik stuff was amazing for example, him making the bet with Alex about the election and then coming on brazen as brass balls to basically laugh in Alex's face about it all and get banished afterwards. Only to return a few months later, still claiming he'll be vindicated in the end. loving gold. His wife laughing in the background as he talks about using the election as a sting against the Democrats was just the icing, because it makes it clear they're just trolling the ever living poo poo out of Alex and loving every second of it. I know there's been quite a few people in this thread saying they found the Jan 6th stuff quite trying, because they had trouble listening to Harrison Smith covering it as Jones called in, but I honestly found it really engaging. It may just be that I can enjoy it more because I have more distance to it's emotional impact as non-American though. Still, I actually empathized with Smith a bit as he crowed about "we've taken the capitol!" only to then become seemingly horrified as soon as he realized there were actual causalties. Which went out the window not long later when Dan paid a bit more attention to him and he was being flagratantly White nationalist on his own show :doh:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Froghammer posted:

I want Bankston to come back on the pod because I have a million questions about Enoch

I want Jacobson to come on the podcast so they can ask him about his views on things other than Sandy Hook, why he didn't quit the company, why he thinks Infowars ever had journalistic integrity etc. I get the feeling from the couple of dozen episodes I've listened to the last few weeks that Dan isn't actually interested in interviewing anyone from that sphere though, even people who've left it and might have some insight into it because he feels it'd be too combatative and just end up making both themselves and the guest unhappy, if not outright angry.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Shinji2015 posted:

Honestly, I'm not super interested in hearing any former IW employees on the show, if only because I wouldn't want them getting any cred from being on KF as a guest

What cred would appearing on a such a small platform get them? :confused:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I think Dan would bend over backwards to appear neutral and as fair as possible towards the ex IW employee and Jordan would just star yelling as soon as the theme song was done playing

The reason I think Jacobson would be an interesting guest is because they're the one InfoWars employee or ex-employee they've talked about so far (at least from what I've heard of the podcast) where I don't think they'd do that, since both of them seemed to find him at least somewhat sincere and sympathetic and mostly be left confused by him rather than angry. I don't doubt it's possible that Jordan would become angry if the guy kept dodging questions or fell back on racial or nationalist talking points, but I do think it's possible it'd wouldn't happen at alll and I certainly don't think it'd be his first reaction in this one instance.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I did say that I didn't think it was likely because Dan doesn't seem interested in doing so to any InfoWars people in my first post on the subject; only that they're the one person in that sphere I'd like to see on the show. I wasn't aware he'd spoken about it before, but just listening to a bit of the podcast does give that impression regardless.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The deposition made it sound like he was getting harrassed long before he was fired; possibly even before Sandy Hook happened. He was just willing to put up with it all along for some reason if that is the case.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

I'm gonna echo the guy off-camera: WHAT THE gently caress!?!? What's the actual context here? Was Uncle Howdy involved up to that point? Or was it just a sudden appearance that the huge guy just...didn't care about? Is Uncle Howdy just kind of a joke to say the guy didn't care? Did Uncle Howdy mean to hit the huge dude or LA Knight when he jumped and gently caress it up (accidentally on purpose, presumably)?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Who are the LF? All I get Googling "LF Sweden" is some bank.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It's also another example of him assuming that's how other people will act because that's how he'd act himself and he can't imagine anyone acting otherwise.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

bird food bathtub posted:

That's the problem I'm getting at, I don't think they ever will suffer from pointing out their hypocrisy.

The benefit is the people in the middle ground who don't have a clear feeling one way or the other yet, because pointing out hyprocrisy might be the thing that sways their decision. Highlighting a culture of hyprocrisy will also generally influence the thoughts of people, especially (but not solely) children as they start paying more attention to politics and society, which can shape the demographics of politics for an entire generation. Which seems kind of important? Like, if everyone just gave up and went "ah gently caress it, there's no reason to point out hypocrisy anymore" then a lot of people would no longer even know that hyprocisy even exists to a large degree, so there'd be a broader trend to follow and trust moneyed interests because there's no information out there refuting them. Which would lead to more hypocrisy and authoritarianism.

tsob fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 2, 2023

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It also seems like the kind of thing Dan would be relucant to discuss on the show anyway because they intrude onto Alex's private life rather than his public persona. Sure, it's conceivable that he might discuss stuff that Alex himself brings up in the show but even that seems like the kind of thing Dan would have to think about before he reached any kind of decision on it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Marsupial Ape posted:

Vodka must give him an even keel, which is why he day drinks it. Dark liquors obviously make him ornery.

What does it say about your life when the only person who respects your basic human dignity is the same person who has devoted the last six years of his life to aggressively shaming you in public?

Thank Dan or Dan.

It's a shame reality isn't a simulation, because it'd be fascinating to allow Alex the chance to step into a private booth away from the cameras that are reality and speak to an external audience about how he feels knowing that his biggest critic in some ways is also a strong defender of his right to a private life. A chance to hear him speak on it without putting on a personality for a paying audience he feels he has to maintain a personality to continue grifting. It does seem like the kind of thing someone in his orbit, like his ex-wife or something, will eventually write a tell all book about now that I mention it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I have no idea what that is, or even a desire to turn it into a recurring segment so much as think it'd be an interesting thing to get an insight into once. That said, turning InfoWars into anything else seems like it'd be a net gain, so yes?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm a big fan of Dan's love for the phrase "bet your bippy" after discovering it, and how he's working it in any chance he can get.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
So how likely is it that Alex starting a home studio that is definitely legally distinct from Free Speech Systems and probably under someone else's name will allow him to continue operating without conceding any of the profit to his financial vortex?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

red19fire posted:

Oh man, this part about smashing the trolls/haters/globalists' heads into the concrete is probably based on the real life incident where Alex, a bully, smashed some kid's head into concrete and caused them brain damage. That kid's friends later ambushed and beat the poo poo out of Alex, which is why he moved out of his hometown. The story he tells is that he discovered the town's police were dealing drugs through some nancy drew nonsense, and the coverup by city hall and the chief of police is what forced his parents to move.

Watching Alex's empire collapse loving owns.

Or he watched American History X, and took entirely the wrong thing from it.

Marsupial Ape posted:

We’re going to find out that Alex has been painting surreptitiously for decades and is some kind of outsider art savant.

Alex Jones is...Wanksy!Fakesy!

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Grand Fromage posted:

I did it. I have listened to all of Knowledge Fight. My brain has been fried.

I got into the show initially listening to all the Project Camelot eps so I am re-listening to those to take a little breakie.

How long did it take you, out of interest? I went back to the episodes just after the election in 2020 since I thought those would be interesting after listening to a few recent episodes, and even after several weeks of fairly heavy listening to at least one a day, and several a day a good few days while I was playing games, I'm only about a year onward. Checking my Pocketcasts listing I've gone from episode 497 in October 2020 to episode 607 in October 2021. So 110 episodes. Out of 776. Well, along with the dozen or two more recent ones I've listened to, I guess. I think I'm gonna go back and listen to the whole thing, but I'm also probably just gonna catch up from where I started first and then do it. After a little breakie. Probably.

All 776 episodes is...a lot though. Congratulations, you maniac.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Confusedslight posted:

I remember that guy hahaha didn't he claim Reagan was bi or something?

If it's the one I'm thinking of at least, some guy came on talking about how he had a big secret that he could be killed for and when Alex pressed him to reveal it, it was just "Reagan was gay, and I know because I once saw a tape of him getting pegged at a party in the 70s; or maybe it was the 80s - I'm gonna be vague about details". Which really disappoints Alex, since apparently Reagan being bisexual was a known thing or something? It wasn't scandalous or even particularly interesting either way, and probably hadn't been in 30+ years by the time he talked about it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I hope there's some wonk doing a temporary stint in one of the scientific bases on Antarctica, just to complete the set.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
What actually is the Dean Scream? I've heard Dan talk about it, but I've no idea who or what it's referring to.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Shinji2015 posted:

Holy poo poo, that reveal at the end

I do wonder what Dan's neighbours think whenever it happens. They've surely gotten used to it at this point, right? "Is it Wednesday already? Dan must have shown Jordan some conservatives being hypocritical assholes again".

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It hasn't gotten any real talk here, but I think it's probably noteworthy that even the other guy on the phone wasn't actually sure of the verse either; they were both fumbling for it, even though the other guy was the one who thought it meant something and probably at least gives lip service to the bible if he's an Alex Jones listener.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Personally, I just can't watch Star Wars because I'm constantly pulled out of the film by the fact there's no one using an AK to blast fools. I can buy all the space empire and self actualized robots stuff, but neon beams instead of good old fashioned lead? Get the gently caress out of here with that poo poo :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Thanks all looking forward to digging into Ross and Carrie

You need to watch Andor!

Silliness aside, I do actually need to get around to that at some point. I'm not even a huge Star Wars fan in general anyway, and mostly just like some of the games (original X-Wing and TIE Fighter were the poo poo when I was growing up, and I loved the Podracing game a few years later) rather than any of the movies (including the original trilogy) so the announcement of a show about the drab lead in a prequel movie I didn't get much out of that was telling yet another story about how the rebellion started had me about as excited as a narcoleptic sloth, but the few clips I've seen on YouTube were good, and there was certainly a lot of positive talk about it online in the weeks it was airing, so I should check it out sometime. Superficially it seems like the kind of thing Alex should enjoy since it's about people standing up to government, but I assume there's some minor details in it he'd find highly offensive because they imply some culture war bullshit in his diseased mind. I'd have made a play on that in response if I'd actually watched it, but I can't even begin to guess what details he'd take objection to, so I'll let someone else guess about it instead.