Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Did this ever get fun again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Shinji2015 posted:

I always worry about Dan having to listen to so much Alex Jones; there are just episodes where I am exhausted from hearing some of the poo poo Alex says, and that's from a curated version of what the episodes are actually like.

I've definitely built up a tolerance to some of the toxicity Alex produces, but it can still be a lot at times

I guess that's what happened to me. I just got so tired of all the bullshit. It never stops. It never ever stops.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Marsupial Ape posted:

I’m still not a hundred percent that Daria isn’t Alex’s Russian handler. Back in 2015, Alex was invited to do a spot on RT via Skype. What actually happened was that he ended up being debriefed by Russian intelligence agents who set up the RT spot as a pretense. They grilled him on if he was for real or not and then, because they trained to manipulate narcissists, lay into Alex with praise and basically flip him. Alex describes this all in great detail on his show and is too stupid to realize he got flipped into a Russian asset for free. 2015 is the same year that Daria starts at infowars and the bots start pumping Alex’s numbers.

KF #82 for context

So, yeah, maybe a bit tinfoil hatter of me, but I think Daria was doing as she was trained.

Listening to KF long enough makes you realize that Alex is literally part of a conspiracy by powerful people using shadowy means to gain power but is too deluded to see it. I guess that's part of why I couldn't take it anymore. He never learns, and the story he wants to be part of so desperately is right there but he is a villian in it.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

They think it DID happen. They think that there are and were FEMA death camps just off-screen at every major disaster, that Obama is still secretly in charge from the shadows, that both the 2016 and 2020 elections were rigged (but Trump was so strong he won anyway once), that gay marriage is the reason for the recent inflation and also COVID and also the terrible weather, that Sharia Law was implemented in most major cities and downtown Detroit is a no-go zone where Christians are executed on sight, and that two dozen cops are murdered by black gangs in every liberal city every week and it just doesn't get reported on.

The reason you get January 6th and COVID-denialists and basically the last decade is that approximately 30-40% of the country has constructed a vivid fantasy world that they live every waking moment in and when reality tries to intrude they scream until it goes away.

This is why Trump was such an electric figure, because he spouted off the most unhinged parts of that reality in a way no other candidate ever did. It alienated, offended, and disgusted normal people, but the movement no longer needs normal people. Covid has killed the same percentage of the world population as WWII did, in half the time, and it's still a political goal of theirs to prevent public health measures like vaccinations. Reality is meaningless when the world is so big our own personal experiences can't encompass it all.

The same people who thought the world was flat and dragons lived a few miles away haven't disappeared over time. Most people knew better. Some people didn't. Now they refuse to believe in diseases.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Leo Zagami in airport security is astounding. It's surrealist humor.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

MrMojok posted:

Was it Jones who once ranted about the government secretly creating dog-man-pig hybrids or something like that?

Probably. Chimeras are a big part of end times iconography. Remember when Bush made a point about banning human-animal hybrids in a SOTU?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I donno how anyone can live through this exact poo poo for gay people and then do it again.

I'm starting to think that some people are just bad people.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
It's funny that for all these guys love the idea of clear sides and obvious good and evil forces, when those choices do show up they're somehow always on the wrong side of them.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Jones ending up on the other side of a clear moral test isn't interesting or surprising anymore, but it's still wild to me that a guy with such a strong cold-war upbringing and instincts can watch Russia roll tanks across the boarder and not have his gut obliterate him when he says it's okay to do so. What a truly disgraceful fall of the cranks.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
The conservative media sphere drives people in it completely insane. My Dad recently just came around to this, he was telling my mom about how Russians were pushing the anti-mask stuff. Nothing kicks a boomer awake more than The Ruskies actually being a threat it seems.

But I donno how to deal with this stuff. There's always been a deeply insane group of people in American politics, and honestly in humanity in general. Everywhere is influenced by complete madmen who believe bizarre things, and who will gladly believe those things over much easier, more explanatory, and more sane things. It's not the majority, it never has been and hopefully never will be, but that doesn't stop their influence. MTG is disgusting, stupid, lovely, bizarre, and embarrassing. But she is an honest to god representation of people in america, just like every other disgusting, stupid, lovely, bizarre and embarrassing politician ever has been.

I don't see a MTG presidency without a sundering, she's genuinely repellant to normal people who do exist in large numbers still. Any event related to Ukraine around you will see normal people out in force, taking the obvious side and obvious actions that you'd expect. But she's where the internet conservative is at the moment, batshit crazy and unfit for any sort of power.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

bird food bathtub posted:

Kinda depends how you want to define "sundering" I guess, but large and growing portions of the Republican base and media empire are outright calling for the destruction of democratic elections when they lose them.

Yeah that'd be a sundering right there. The rest of the country and the rest of the would wouldn't be happy about that, and everything would rapidly fall apart. There's no clean break, either, it's urban/rural and there's no way things could go any other way but nasty.

It's a bigger possibility than I would've admitted even in 2017, but it'd be insane and self-destructive in a way that no one could escape.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Shageletic posted:

Honestly turning off news media helps. It certainly is helping me out and it makes the constant waves of propaganda roiling thru the entire industry much more apparent

Oh, I've stopped paying attention to The Discourse. It's insane. Like, it's amazing how completely nuts people are when they talk about this stuff online rather than talking to like, normal people who care about things. There's a Ukrainian cultural center in my city and they've been having fundraising dinners and rallies and all that, and hanging out with those people feels like... sane? There's justified worry, but also an understanding of what's happened. The only mention of Nazis is when someone talked about how sad it was that a holocaust museum was destroyed. People want to talk about how to help rather than bitch about whatever it is that they're interested in bitching about.

Like I said, my Dad, who at one point told the family that he thought Muslim refugees were actually just sneaking in to have a lot of kids that were US citizens to do terrorist attacks, seems to have been shaken out of his conservative media stupor and has talked about how Russian influence was literally being used on people like him. Talking to normal people, it feels like there's been a big change in how people see things and are looking at this as a horrible emergency that has made them re-think what's important.

However, not everyone is normal. A lot of people are not normal. Online, people are still fighting over insane poo poo like usual. Few people have the defenses to remain normal in a storm of Discourse. I know I sure didn't. I don't know how to get people outta there or how to curb the influence of the insane, even though I've stepped away from it all.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Morroque posted:

If I had to guess, someone, somewhere, made a mistake during this week's frippery with the civil court. InfoWars is allowed to make as many wilful mistakes about the media as it wants, but the moment someone else in the media makes a mistake about InfoWars, he'll bray about it for the next six months.

... no, it isn't fair, but that's life under narcissist rule.

I mean, it's what being waist deep in The Bullshit is like. You can't win cause you're not playing a game, but everyone else is. We've all been on the internet long enough to get sucked into something like this, and we all lived through the Trump years where that was just what listening to the president was. It's why getting in it and trying to fight people in it drives you crazy, why you start to jump 5 steps ahead whenever anyone says anything, why you'll start caring about what some twitter somewhere is saying because you know it's gonna get brought up and make things stupid. It's a deeply mentally draining place that I think only idiots or delusional narcissists can live in for long, idiots cause they can't see what it's doing to them and narcissists because that's the place they can make everything they think true.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
... odd move, NGL. I suppose even he's lost the plot at this point.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Wow, that's the engagement RT has? They really rely heavily on the grift machine for their international influence, huh.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I think the politically is just a reference to how Jones would always say they needed to murder their enemies. politically

Hysteria and reaction are, unfortunately, effective. It's sad how effective they are and how effective they've always been. If you're able to broadcast out something insane, people will catch on to it. This is the unavoidable truth that the internet has taught us. It's not even about easy answers, honestly, cause people will go out of their way and break their brains to get to these conclusions. It's about finding a narrative that makes you feel something, even if that narrative makes you out to be a lazy idiot in a damned world. Who cares if you have to give up everything you love about the world and exist only to hate people you've never met? You're a warrior in an interdimensional war and all you have to do is watch along and hate.

But Jones getting driven out of business is just... good. It's just a good thing for the world. You can't shame him, you can't make him distasteful to his audience, you can't reverse what he's done. But if you can punish him via lawsuit so badly he can't recover financially, great. So focus on that and that only.

Grondoth fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 20, 2022

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Holy poo poo his head is round

Do you think he'll just croak soon? That's... not good. That's not a healthy shape for a head to morph into.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
pac man is not a real man

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Who are these two mystery financiers/whales? 🧐

Yeah Alex Jones, and the entire conspiratorial right wing apparatus, is actually driven and empowered by a shadowy cabal of shadowy rich elites, crime, and hostile state actors. The conspiracy they peddle is their story and it's never not gonna be a crushing irony that my brain just can't actually engage with.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I mean, he's been like this his whole career. All this has been laid bare. No one's listening to his stochastic screeds cause you can't actually listen to him because his worldview is nonsensical and contradictory. It's not actionable because the enemies are undefinable and untouchable. Globalists may echo certain groups and certain power figures, but they're actually a coalition of inter-dimensional alien beings that are trying to destroy humanity's ascent. Or they're devils trying to stop God's plan. Alex' calls to action are ultimately to keep him on air, his audience ultimately listening out of identity rather than any sort of ideological commitment, as any principles or policy goals have long since reversed themselves as everything melts away into grievance.

There's just nothing left to learn, man. I donno how Dan does it.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
why in the world would it matter if a trans kid shot kids in a school when the whole issue is the shooting kids in a school thing, not who did it?

Whatever, I don't want to know, I can't care

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Considering "white genocide" is just "white people having kids with other races" I'm pretty sure most people are actually a hard yes on it.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
One of the most crushing realizations the internet has given me is that there's like...a universal class of lovely person who transcends borders. Chinese Chuds hate Greta Thunberg the same way our Chuds do, Russian Chuds think COVID is a bioweapon, both of them have really weird hangups around women in entertainment media...

There is no escape.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Morroque posted:

The weird pivot to being pro-cop after the George Floyd Rebellion while still riding the câchet of years of previous warnings against "the police state" is a strange development. I know Dan and Jordan don't feel confident in their coverage of the Uvalde shooting given how little we know of the facts on the ground, but it might still be something worth documenting anyway.

Yet for however strange it is, it is also entirely unsurprising. The one impression I got of Alex following the Trump years, is that if a genuine police state ever were to form, he would always end up being their biggest sycophant and propagandist. I just thought it would only ever be because he only cares about things which affect him personally and everything else is just a false flag, but Dan seems to think there are some traces of intentionality and foreplanning in this specific case.

The whole conspiracy scene loved Trump no matter what he did. KF is very good at dissecting why; behind all the yelling about a police state and authoritarianism is a reactionary, authoritarian belief system. The warnings about surveillance and police raids and checkpoints and all that is a justification for why their enemies are bad, not an ideological stance against strong exercises of power by the state. Use of that power is perfectly fine, even necessary, against the political enemies of the conspiracy theorist. Fascism is full of conspiracies, just look at the fuckin' Nazis, man.

The problem with the Globalists' secret and forceful control of the world is that they're an invalid authority. The right people doing the things Jones' imagines them doing are perfectly fine, and we saw that happen again and again during the Trump years when he would do something that Jones had before long decried as a sign of tyranny or would violate key tenets of what Jones had previously articulated was his understanding of what the government should be doing.

It honestly makes a lot of sense as to why no one caught on or cared about this stuff, though. The conspiracy world is about how there's incredibly powerful forces that have been secretly doing terrifying things in an attempt to bring about some sort of apocalypse or hold back humanity from its full potential. It's not about crafting an ideology or a worldview, it's about crafting a narrative where you get to feel both afraid of unassailable forces and smarter than those forces. If someone tells you they're fighting those things, why would you question their methods? You don't care about those. You just care about thwarting a powerful, malevolent enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Shageletic posted:

It's definitely a trip listening to Dan in 2018 passionately declaring his concern over Alex's mental state. Lol 4 years later and this guy will never stop or fully crash.

It's really remarkable. He is out of control, he is self-destructive, he is indulging in his worst instincts, he is basically on a years long breakdown. But figures that find him useful keep it going, so he just gets worse and worse and worse without ever hitting bottom because there's always someone there to dig more.