Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Grand Fromage posted:

"Researching in my mind" may be my favorite Alex phrase. Incredible.

Same. My favorite quotes from the deposition are
Brad: "Mr. Jones, do you know what question you were answering?"
AJ: "The question wasn't delivered clearly."
Brad: "I thought so."

I shacked up with these guys after the Jan 6 episodes, which really dug into how lovely the IW operation is. Harrison is declaring victory on a live show with Alex on the ground and Alex comes in as soon as he can to try to redesign the narrative. It's the most frantic and attentive I've ever heard him be. And of course it doesn't really work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Tree Dude posted:

I'm still getting used to the new "technocrat" drop but I will say "gently caress you!" has made me actually laugh every time.

I can't help but say "a liiiiittle breaky for meee" along with him every time. Cracking myself up as we speak.

I'll be better tomorrow.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

They aired a special separate intro remix by the same artist, I think, immediately after their NYT piece got commentary, but only for that one episode. Anyone able to link it by chance?

I have designed and preformed an interpretive dance to accompany the intro. It involves a lot of retching, as one might expect.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Lord Stimperor posted:

A bunch of the BtB-cohosts have ended up on my playlist: Jake hannrahan, Jamie Loftus, knowledge fight themselves.... Also about time Paul F Tompkins came back. I want to listen to the Golden Retriever man (he voiced Mr. Peanut butter in Bojack horseman and I can't see anything else when I hear the voice)!

Jake's got a new podcast called Megacorp about capitalistic horrors mostly focusing on Amazon, but he previously hosted a show critical of Q that was good called Q Clearance. His work striding extremists in Eastern Europe and turkey and the like are great and his production/show Popular Front has a lot of content.

If you want PFT find him in his element on CBB (maybe the annual wrap ups if you're new to him) or the old stuff from Superego. His spots on Bonanas for Bonanza are great too, along with him guesting on any other podcast ever. He has done at least two bits with Robert, the first I heard were the Rush Limbaugh episodes, but the newer ones he was on were about an old horrible grift circuit I can't remember the name of now. He seems engaged with BtB, but I don't think these reality horrors are where he shines, and Robert tends to stick pretty tightly to the script.
E: oh he has a character as the ships councillor on Lower Decks and cohosts an official star trek pod called the Pod Directive with Tawny Newsome and they're great together.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

The best summation Knowledge Fight has had about Jones since 2016 is that backing Trump was the greatest mistake he has probably made. By backing a politician who actually won, that he had to bend over backwards for repeatedly, and didn't really deliver on a lot of his promises, or at least to the level the fascists like Jones wanted, he's painted himself into a corner.

I'm not sure about this. Last episode has Alex flip flipping on that with Roger Stone on. Trump turns out to be an essential part of the grift if only because he's the bellwether for the flock.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

I think Alex uses Q to make him seem less crazy. His argument with the Q Shaman wasn't really to win over the Q but to try to legitimize himself in contrast. He failed. He gets his listeners to poo poo on them like they're the crazy ones. Gives them an outgroup to shun and they can feel superior to the "real conspiracies".

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

I don't think I agree there. There are plenty of Q celebrities and thought leaders - he wouldn't have to claim to be Q to grift them. I think the real problem is that he would have to shift his content towards their brand of stupid and he'd have to be a lot less self-righteous. Alex is a religious leader in his mind, and his show is completely untethered reality except a few passing headlines that he reads just enough of to get in his angry zone. Focusing on current Q theories would genuinely be too much work for him and there would be room for pseudointellectual disagreement.

He waffles between "we're beating the globalists" and "we're all dead already" to keep people emotionally insecure, but Q is generally about hope for a reckoning. There's some overlap, and there's plenty of pessimism in the way the Q movement describes the current world but, for them, salvation is inevitable. For Alex, salvation will only happen if you keep his show on the air.

I think he could have coopted a big chunk of Q, but it would have required a pretty huge pivot, and a commitment to talking about it on every show and probably talking to other "researchers" and the success of his show clearly depends on feeding his narcissism to the exclusion of everything else.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

MrMojok posted:

Somebody please recommend me another episode, a real banger!

I’ve gone through all the ones listed in the Reddit thread.

Not sure what's on the Reddit thread but the stuff right after Jan 6th where he's trying to do damage control retconning the poo poo Owen and/or harrison were saying in the moment and right the ship is pretty great. That was my starting point.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm glad they acknowledged the little breakie thing today because I've been thinking "a liiiitle breakie for meee" like ten times a day since they changed drops.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

Tell her you're a policy wonk and that it's fantastic and that she should have herself a brew. Then explain that we have to go full tilt boogie on this watson.
If she remains unconvinced remind her that we ain't making the money off that heroin. If she still has not left you then enquire as to why she pimps so good.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

teen witch posted:

Goddamn Dr. Marble out THERE

Yeah wow. Pretty rare to hear Alex speechless.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Cat Puke posted:

Someone else would have to have read it to him since the headlines are just numbers.

Makes for a nice reserve of stackies though

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Oh dang Dan said he was gonna take a breakie on Wednesday. I hope the MTG appearance makes him change his mind.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Firstscion posted:

Wednesday Episodes are always a sneaky snake extra to me anyway.

Really? I feel like they do Wed eps pretty much on the regular.

Grand Fromage posted:

I blissfully have no awareness of Jones beyond listening to KF so didn't know she was on again. Between that and Russia pulling the trigger I am sorry Dan's not getting a liiiiiittle breakie for him.

Yeah, caught a tweet cross posted in the RWM thread or I wouldn't have known either.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

If you donate there's a custom text comment field they point you to that you can include an alt name for him to read iirc.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Ummm, this is a late response maybe. They're mostly analyzing Alex's self contradictions and his obvious ties to Russian propaganda, if not as a direct agent, as a Putin worshipper in service of his larger grift. I'd say it's less focused on material conditions of the conflict and more in the media criticism vein. I don't know you, but I'd say go for it. It's been relatively less traumatic than the news for me.

Grand Fromage posted:

It's amazing I've listened to like 300 KF episodes and I was still blown away by that proof Alex was right video. That's some balls.

Then the dude who called in and proved that oh, yeah, that poo poo works just fine on his listeners.

Yeah I'm tuning in for these Alex self-parodies like how he was poo poo talking China and had to somehow convert those to Russian talking points, and ofc the silly pivots roger stone has to do to feed his bizarre litigation-based donation engine.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 1, 2022

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Idk but that came across pretty clearly to me. Especially since they spent some time talking about how Alex had to admit Biden was right but that he refused to connect that with being wrong.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

It's time to pray.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

I think there's a religious analogy where the sidekicks are akin to ministers for Alex's prophecy. They're diligent, uncreative, and rarely inspiring, but Alex brings the Truth and testifies against reality.

But it's a factor of any cronyism - the underlings are always incompetent.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Jesus. You have to know they did some math about how screwed they are what he could reasonably come up with and $120k sounds paltry as gently caress.

In related news, 3.5hr formulaic objections episode just dropped. See you on the other side, fair goons.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Holy crap aren't you allowed/supposed to have a lawyer present for depositions?? Kit seems all alone

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Oh I just got to the end and she chimes in and he didn't listen to her.

My understanding is that we don't practice law in Texas on the weekends.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 31, 2022

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Fentry posted:

Infowars gives them lawyers but they churn through them at an absurd rate. Basically every two weeks their representation quits when they get the full perspective of what the cases are and how infowars people act

I think that's more a recent thing. Part of this last deposition and the recent posts, including mine, were talking about a sandy hook parent's request to make a correction of one of Kits articles within 10 days and they just...didn't. Kit tried to blame the lawyer for being negligent and that he was told they had 30 days (not including weekends?) but the lawyer stayed on the payroll through November somehow and the article was obviously not corrected in a timely manner.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Mar 31, 2022

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Yeah, and the start of the interview was about Kit's (and other writers') publishing power and how he and other IW lackeys weild it, and how Kit's view of his role as a primary editor changed even though his philosophy and practice didn't change much. Or at least it was too little too late.

And the through line is that Kits happy to admit that he's a puppet to Alex's whims. Kit is literally crying. And apparently we're going to have some semblance of empathy for OWEN next episode? Not sure I can handle it.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Naw I get you, just referencing the intro bit by the lawyer saying Owen actually apologized or somehow seemed to have a come to Jesus moment. I'll believe it when I hear it maybe, but I'm with you, it's hard to imagine.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Is Alex your best friend?

Lmaooo

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Awwwwww rip. This round is private.

They seem (performatively) confused as to why plaintiff representation is asking about motive and intention instead of things not specifically about that particular series of broadcasts.

They don't seem to get that the scope of damages is going to be based on intended malice, lack of rigor, intentional misrepresentation, and the like. Can't wait to read the ruling.

We've talked a lot about the potential suicide. Idk, I couldn't rule it out. I have to assume KF would just go off the air, it would be hard to respond to in a thoughtful way and to maybe not feel some responsibility because, even like this thread wants to believe, Jones is impervious to consequence. I think he would love to walk away with his grifted millions and retire to the woods he loves so much and leave this society behind, but if he's broke it's only his love of booze and cocaine that will keep him alive and doing weird off broadcast college radio or something.

My bet is that he starts an actual church.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Oh man I didn't believe you guys and had to check out 274 to see with a morbid curiosity how drunk Alex was. Holy poo poo that first clip was bad and it's just getting worse.

Robert and Dan are a great duo.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Megabound posted:

They'll be attending and covering the Sandy Hook trial this month, most likely in a daily wrap up style.

This is great, esp since the recent depositions have been private... For some reason. Thought Jones would keep the cameras there for his HBO content.

There are like three SH cases open right? Which one is this? Haven't had a chance to listen yet.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

After listening to this new one I'm going to double down onb my prediction that he'll do the church setup after all this litigation. He'll have an avenue for donations and can channel his remaining devotees to an obvious tax shelter that they'll be happy to support.

He sounds like he's practicing. A lot of ministers of established religions have canonical documents and sermons to draw from/steal/co-opt, but Alex will be making a lot of it from scratch. He currently meanders and he'll have to double down on a through-line and a promise of salvation to make it work but that's the only path is see for him.

I wonder if certain state laws will keep him from establishing something like that if you've been guilty of word crimes, but I doubt it.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Dan also doesn't report on anything behind a paywall as a general rule.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Related, from a few pages back

https://twitter.com/Kolyin/status/1512179314376253446

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Look at that wealth of stackies though

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

The new Opening Arguments is largely about how screwed they think Alex is and how his asset manipulation is obviously illegal. Haven't had a chance to listen yet, though, just caught the summary on my way to bed.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Digital Jedi posted:

I'm listening to the Opening Arguments episode "Law'd Awful Movies #28: Alex Jones Deposition" where they go over the deposition in 2019 and they really paint a picture that Mark Bankston was asking bad questions and did a general bad job.

Anyone aware of any follow with either them and Mark Bankston or Mark Bankston's response?

I don't know, but I think in marks first interview with kf her basically said Dan was completely correct in his evaluation of his methods and intent. And even Dan was saying you could see this was a failure except to just show that Alex talks out of his rear end.

I need to catch that ep. I downloaded it, but was hoping to find it in their episode list somehow and seem to remember giving up.

E: oh yeah, they dug in a bit more about Mark's technique. Maybe just a consequence of getting free council and Mark being to excited to own Alex, who is clearly the most skilled witness of the bunch. Wonder what they would say about the other deposer, can't remember his name.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 20, 2022

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

It comes in at the end. I don't think the plaintiffs care as much about the damages as much as shaming Jones publicly. The OA guy sounds like he wouldn't be interested in triggering the defense, or realizes that approach is usually less fruitful. They brought up so many good criticisms of how Mark could have pinned down better information. I was surprised to hear that a 4hr depo that they agreed to was short by half.

I think party of Mark's approach was to do a bit of gishgallop of his own, especially since HBO cameras were present and Alex agreed to allow it to be public.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Spoeank posted:

he refuses to see that's exactly what is happening here.

Not sure what you mean, that's all he talked about last episode.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Beg money to buy product inventory that he can sell you later*

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

You mean yesterday at the normal Friday drop time? Started looking for a new drop and got confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Episode 628 is great for this too. It's a flashback episode to sometime after the iraq war, and Ann Coulter has a book to promote. I think she knew who Alex was but was not prepared for crazy he would actually get. Getting asked for a source for something by Ann Coulter is insane.

Yeah and he took that call as a victory lap for like three weeks