Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Murgos posted:

I was under the impression that Dan was a practicing attorney and that this was his hobby?

Nope, just a stand-up comic who happens to be the largest non-crazy repository of information on the Infowars Extended Universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Cat Puke posted:

I've been listening my way through the back catalog, and it's so clear how Alex has had his worst behavior reinforced throughout his entire life. First his violence and rage filled impulses we're reinforced by lovely texan culture, then his radio show.

As I said in the QAnon thread that led me here, certain behaviours that would definitely be considered pathological in any other context are very richly rewarded at this stage of history.

I genuinely think that at some point Jones really wasn't that different to Bill Hicks or any of the essentially harmless libertarian Texas weirdos (and it is odd to think that Hicks and Jones almost certainly crossed paths at the camp outside the Branch Davidian compound in Waco). There's definitely an alternative universe where he'ended up in that crowd along with Hicks, Sam Kinison, Jimmy Pineapple, and all the other standups that took that weird, febrile Southern Baptist preacher energy and turned it into frankly terrifying standup acts. Hell if his dad had bought him a guitar instead of getting him a radio job he'd probably be playing rhythm guitar for Eric Johnson right now.

Instead he ended up doing a Bill Cooper tribute act (and if you haven't heard the Knowledge Fight and Behind the Bastards episodes on Cooper you absolutely should do so because it explains *so much* about Jones) and the (un)happy coincidence of the timing of Cooper's death and the internet coming into the mainstream Jones was perfectly positioned to take Cooper's schtick into the mainstream, and all of a sudden he is getting directly financially rewarded the more loopy he acts and the die was cast. At this point I'm sure he actually *does* believe what he's saying just because he's played that character for so long it's taken over whatever personality he originally had.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've always had a soft spot for the old "Daddy shark, bam bam bam" one, and remember the show where Jordan was unavailable so one of Dan's mates was filling in and how weird it was to hear that drop without Jordan singing along.

Also the true catchphrase of Knowledge Fight has to be either "Mic down for this one, Jordan" or maybe "Neighbours..."

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Pretty sure that was a Chapo Trap House episode.

It was - can't remember if it was Matt or Will but you can hear them laughing hysterically in the background of a Wohl/Loomer press conference.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

MrMojok posted:

Did the plaintiff attorneys ask for some documentation from Jones, and he just refused to give it up? I am remembering that right? I’m looking up reasons for the rarely-seen default judgement and most of what I’m seeing just says he “stopped participating” in the legal process, it doesn’t go into any more detail that that.

That's pretty much it, yes. There's an episode where the attorney comes on to explain it in more detail, I'll look up which one it is (which would also be a useful one for the best-of list OP was planning for the OP).

e: https://knowledgefight.libsyn.com/618-november-15-2021 - episode 618

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 31, 2022

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

tracecomplete posted:

The Roger Stone deposition might be the greatest piece of performance art in history.

On all counts. Dan. Jordan. Roger Stone. Roger's lawyer. gently caress Larry.

WHERE'S MY LAPTOPS?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

In not sure if it's a cause or just a symptom to be honest.

People at Fox have been copying his poo poo well before Trump (Glenn Beck comes to mind)
during the Obama years) but they would generally launder it slightly (since the general right wing media hierarchy has usually been something like Fox >>>>>>>>>> Rush > Drudge > Infowars > Infowars Farm Team in how stories filter up to the mainstream

but a lot of what happened is that as the right has spiraled further right and isolated itself in it own media system and as a result that the hierarchy has really flattened out which is what is hurting Alex a ton (that and being sued to oblivion)

Im not sure if I would credit Trump's election as a catalyst for that, because Trumps election was in large part an effect of change that already happened

I think it's both symptom and cause, it's a feedback loop that starts in the 90s with Clinton. With the end of the Cold War taking away the main pantomime villain that both sides had to (pretend to) care about, and with the Southern Strategy showing the GOP that the way to success is to keep their base dumb and angry, they pumped up the Lewinsky and Whitewater cases from something that would have been quietly dropped For The Greater Good (e.g. Iran Contra and about half the poo poo that JFK got up to, both far more heinous than an affair and a bit of mild graft) into MOST IMPORTANT THING IN THE WORLD talking points. It's those two things that get remembered the most nowadays but they were doing it with loving *everything* (one of those trial balloon moral panics was of course Waco, where Alex Jones got his start and the previously apolitical - or at least equally distrusting of both parties - conspiracist fringe started to be subsumed into the far-right militia movements.

9/11 helped this process along hugely, too, because it let people like Jones play the both-sides shuffle that is still his most powerful move - both claiming that it was an inside job/false flag to keep up the essential lie of the conspiracist, that bad things don't happen randomly and out of my control, they're done by Them and it all makes sense, but also tapping into the oo-rah "Nuke Mecca" zeitgeist to keep people scared of the swarthy hordes waiting just outside the gates.

The Tea Party was of course the establishment's method of tapping into that energy to direct it against Obama and even the slightest hint of progressive policy, but the problem is by that point the people coming into politics are the people who've been kept dumb and angry in the preceding decade or two, and they actually believe this poo poo and stoke it up within the establishment itself, to the point where they were turning against Romney by 2012 and all of a sudden the GOP can't get the toothpaste back in the tube and Trump happens. *Right now* the Federalist weirdos are managing to stay on the back of this particularly angry bull they've unleashed but the energy is already starting to ground in weird places. Jones et. al. are now redundant to them - the last thing they want is people getting even angrier and dumber - and the conspiracist fringe people aren't as interested in what he has to say because Q and all that poo poo is much more fun.

Dismissing Q was what actually killed him off - I think he definitely had the chops in to take over that whole thing, but he saw it as a threat to his empire. In fact I can't help but see his second wave of Sandy Hook stuff in 2018 as an attempt to regain the ground that he had to Pizzagate, as that wound down, and regain his place on top of the midden.

Of course you can *probably* actually date the contagion all the way back to the John Birch Society and other anticommunist mutants, but Whitewater etc is when the conspiracies stopped wearing suits and started wearing cargo shorts.

(:tinfoil: as I finished this post Hypernormalisation started playing on my TV, randomly selected from literally thousands of different things on my playlist :tinfoil:)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

MrMojok posted:

Somebody please recommend me another episode, a real banger!

I’ve gone through all the ones listed in the Reddit thread.

The watch-alongs of his films are good (although very long), both for the Jones content and the meta content of them both slowly losing their minds. Poor Dan's neighbours. Episodes 130A-E are Endgame, about The Globalists (where we first hear the little cello hit that is the core of their current theme tune), 230A-E are The Obama Deception.

Also core to the Jones-verse is Bill Cooper, the episodes they did on him (381, 414, 434, 447) are must-listens IMO (although they're not the most entertaining, they're among the most important ones).

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

FFT posted:

Started, of course, with the deposition episode that went big, then went through the entire Project Camelot series up to #371 + #67 (the Protocols episode because it snuck into the PC playlist), been listening in actual sequence since #404 (drunken CPAC-adjacent Fuentes exhibition)

Good show, really glad it blew up like this.

I understand why they don't publish their Patreon numbers but just by tracking shoutouts (and the fact that they're lagged by weeks or even months, it took 8 weeks for them to give me my policy wonk drop like 2 years ago) they've been pretty big for quite a while now. Not Chapo big, obviously, but I'd be astonished if they were making less than, say, TrashFuture or any of the other second-tier leftist podcasts out there (which would be a very comfortable amount of money for them both, especially as, AFAIK, they don't really have a producer or any other overheads).

I'm mainly worried about what happens when Jones eventually flames out, but as the throwback episodes are often more fun than the present-day ones, and with some very rich veins of content in the wider Jones-verse to mine, I think they're going to be okay for quite a while now.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cat Puke posted:

Sad human eyes is an important part. Top sources are admitting it. You can look it up in the WikiLeaks.

How much of Alex Jones' content over the years could plausibly be explained by him thinking the SCP Project website is actually Wikileaks?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

ILL Machina posted:

Really? I feel like they do Wed eps pretty much on the regular.

In the early days they'd do 3-4 episodes a week, they decided to go to 2 a week a couple of years ago for the sake of their brains, with occasional Wacky Wednesdays for Sweary Kerry and other non-Jones content. They've started doing Wednesday Jones episodes more regularly over the last few months but they're all officially bonus/"sneaky snake" releases if something particularly big has happened.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Megabound posted:

They stopped doing Wednesdays de rigueur for Dan's work life balance. The podcast used to be Monday, Wednesday, Friday and in the 1.5 to 3 hour range. I used to get disappointed at an episode that was only one hour long but now I'm happy that Dan gets his time off.

If you go and listen to the back catalogue (which is a great time) and hear where they've come from it's amazing, Dan talking about selling blood plasma just to get by and the like.

The arc they follow getting to know Alex is amazing too, Jordan started from complete ignorance of the man and Dan treated him more like a buffoon. It's a great narrative.

Yeah I assume Dan has to take 8+ hours to do the research for each episode plus the same again for the recording and editing so 3 episodes a week has to feel like a *lot*, especially last year when Jones was getting very samey and depressing.

Speaking of editing - does anyone remember the episode where there's some kind of cockup and they ended up releasing an episode with half an hour or so of off-mic conversation between the two of them?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Shinji2015 posted:

So as a heads up, today's episode is covering the 21st-24th, so it's a present day episode. Just be prepared:

https://knowledgefight.libsyn.com/652-february-21-24-2022

It's actually okay, because Alex being Alex ends up contradicting himself even when given the most blatant, easy layups by fate.

Also while listening to it, they mentioned the episode on Bill Cooper and I happened to be cleaning my keyboard, hit the "Play" button (something I've never used before) and my PC started playing that episode :tinfoil:

(It's not weird my media player happened to be cued up on that one, I was searching for it yesterday because of a conversation elsewhere, but still the timing made me check under the desk for George Soros)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Your Gay Uncle posted:

If only those Ukrainian animals hadn't kept bringing their backpacks on the subway

https://youtu.be/yrh-1QqvhjA

Lionel is a "Legal and Media Analyst" now?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Froghammer posted:

Over time, the crazy science fiction nonsense about clones and bioweapons and cyborgs in right-wing conspiracy circles proved to be a better bugbear to scare the audience with than aliens. In part, I think, because there has been exponentially amazing advances in technology since the late 80s while aliens are still a mystery.

Anyway Icke backed the aliens train hard. Way harder than Bill Cooper ever did. Alex thought he was an embarrassment to the grift movement and called him "the turd in the punchbowl" to Jon Ronson.

Cut to twenty years later and they're palling around because both of them have nowhere left to go

I'm probably overthinking it but the only other time I've heard that phrase is in a Bill Hicks routine and I feel like there was a period in the early naughties, when Jones was more plausibly playing the "I'm beyond partisan politics" card, that he leaned into the "Alex Jones is actually Bill Hicks who faked his death after Waco to fight the globalists" joke.

I've caught another couple of Hicks-isms on shows from that era too, and I wonder if Jones was deliberately doing this to play into the Hicks connection (either seriously or as a joke), if Jones is just stealing Hicks' material, if these are just fairly common Texas sayings (my only other reference is King of the Hill) that he and Hicks both happened to use, or if I just need to go out and get some fresh air.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Froghammer posted:

He might not be able to. Nobody on his payroll moves product or gets the numbers he does. If he's bleeding money, then he can't afford a vacation

Also Jesus God he's in rare form this episode

"Going off to the woods" is Alex-speak for either having to go on Rogan (or other shows) to desperately try and pump traffic to Infowars or, more frequently, having to go to court. How many cases is it he's got active at the moment? Obviously the two Sandy Hook ones, but I think his divorce from his last wife is still ongoing and there's some case with his current wife too (Dan and Jordan's perfectly understandable and laudable stance on not touching his personal life is very frustrating for the gossip in me)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just catching up on the Behind the Bastard appearances from D&J, and I'd forgotten just how hilariously terrible the IHeartRadio podcasts that get advertised on BtB are - Dua Lipa talking to pop stars about how hard their lives are? Some actress from shows I've literally never heard of talking about "empowerment"? A podcast about how true crime podcasts are made? Who the *gently caress* is ever going to listen to these things? They all sound like joke podcasts made up by The Onion to take the piss out of lib podcasts.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I suppose we can't throw stones *that* much, given we're in the thread for talking about two Chicago-based standup comedians going into microscopic detail about the antics of a fringe right-wing media figure, it's arguably considerably more niche and weird than anything Dua Lipa has to say, it's just something about the presentation of them as something that they think that I might be interested in that makes me laugh.

I mean Knowledge Fight definitely isn't even the weirdest, nichest thing I listen to either - this sudden outbreak of seeing the other side came because my latest KF episode came between listening to a podcast about bad Kickstarter projects that was an offshoot from a thread on these very forums (Your Kickstarter Sucks), and two grown men discussing an episode of a 40--year-old Saturday afternoon drama (Top Flight Time Machine, which started as a football (soccer) podcast but is now the UK's premium source for information on digging holes, ghosts, and dads on roofs).

Given I pay actual money, that I earn, to listen to those two (and KF) suddenly a podcast where someone shares backstage secrets about Beverly Hills 90210 doesn't sound quite so out of the ordinary.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I think Alex is cunning enough to know that advertising a show that debunks him step by step is incredibly dangerous to him and doesn't want to bring any more attention to them

It's this. Almost all of his "feuds" are with people where he's already thoroughly poisoned the well. He's safe taking potshots at CNN and New York Times reporters because his followers already believe these are the MAINSTREAM MEDIA and primed to never even look at what they're saying and to automatically disregard any accidental exposure. He can't be assured of the same level of automatic defences being put up if his followers end up at Knowledge Fight. It also really doesn't help his particular style of reportage that KF don't do headlines for him to shout at - to actually give him some ammunition he'd actually have to listen for a bit and that's not a productive use of his time.

Also - probably coincidentally but maybe not - the format of Knowledge Fight is much more dangerous to Alex Jones than any slickly-edited 5 minute video or 10,000 word op-ed. The impression you get from those is "Okay Alex was wrong on *this particular thing* but I'm sure there were loads of other times he was right", because most people consume Infowars passively, in the background, never really actually fully engaging with it but just coming away with impressions with selection bias doing a lot of the work when something very vaguely like one of his predictions actually happens. When Russia rolled into Ukraine a lot of his listeners would have been like "Hey, Alex was predicting wars for ages, he was right again" without remembering that was war with China and he was actually denying predictions of war in Ukraine.

KF - just by sheer amount of material - really does strip away that illusion, and the fact that it can easily be consumed in exactly the same passive, background way as Infowars means you just come away with the memory of "Huh, Alex Jones really isn't right about *anything*, is he?". I don't know if Jones' lizard brain grasps this, but there's just no advantage for him in engaging with them at all.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

BigglesSWE posted:

That Harrison Smith guy is spectacularly un-charming isn’t he? He makes Alex sound profound.

All of the second-string Infowars presenters have that annoying debate nerd feel to their voice, the weirdly flat "DESTROY Liberals with FACTS and LOGIC" affect of Ben Shapiro etc.

I'm not sure if it's literally that *everybody* younger than Jones in right-wing media sounds that way because the way into RWM for millennials is and was the 3-hour Youtube video once a month rather than 4 live hours a day on AM radio like Jones did, or if Jones is just scared of having anyone capable of doing his schtick around, but I can't think of any RWM figure born after 1980 who has that hellfire and brimstone style.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

"Dear Mr. Judge

Alex cannot come to the deposition today as he is not well.

Apologies for the handwriting, I have busted whichever hand I normally write with.

Yours Sincerely.

Alex's Doctor"

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Morroque posted:

The Sandy Hook court case is in a civil court, not a criminal court. The question to ask here is if a civil court can levy a contempt of court charge in the same way that a criminal court can. Being put under oath in a civil court is already something that doesn't seem to affect Alex much, and given at least two of the Sandy Hook cases are already in default judgement territory... If contempt of court is a thing that can even happen here, it probably would've happened already.

It would be funny if Alex did go to jail over this. I just don't think it is within the given remit.

EDIT: Reading into this, the trail this stunt is being pulled on is the one where the victim's families are being presented by Koskoff, Koskoff, & Bieder, which is not the firm that Mark Bankston is from. We're probably not going to learn the details of this from a firsthand account on the show.

Contempt of court applies in any court (at least in England and Wales, and of course the US's legal system is heavily based on that). I'd assume civil judges are less inclined to send people to prison than their criminal counterparts, though.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's not impossible that he actually *wants* to get arrested to use it as a pivot to another fundraising campaign.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Marsupial Ape posted:

Ok, I'm putting down $10 on "Alex gets a bench warrant and when he's pulled over the cops find coke in his vehicle". Long odds, but still doesn't bend probability.

I'd have put him down for abusing the hell out of prescription drugs. Heroin and speed are for low lives and scum, but Vicodin and Adderall come from a man in a white coat who charges $500 for an appointment so are appropriate for a man of his stature.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
gently caress me, really not liking the "If they say I killed my family and myself..." turn this is taking.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Megabound posted:

As the boys said, this is far from the first time he's said that on air. I truly believe him to be too much of a coward to off himself. He is a man of no convictions other than "What will make me the most money right now"

Yeah but the context is very different this time. Right now he genuinely *does* have walls closing in on him that don't just exist in his own head, and this is after a string of almost certainly real on-air breakdowns. Even if it is purely performative it's surely not a great sign that that's where his head is going to.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
This deposition is presumably specifically about Infowars funding and profitability and Jones' actual assets etc?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

MrMojok posted:

Something like 20% of the entire population of the earth, he claimed at one point was the number of listeners

That would be silly. He said 20% of the *English-speaking* population, so somewhere between 100 and 250 million people depending on exactly how you count that.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

neurotech posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for episodes to listen to?

The OP has a good list of starting points, but if there's a particular thing you're interested in then ask and I'm sure someone will provide.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Kolyin/status/1512179314376253446

Presumably this was what he was trying to prevent discovery of and what the majority of his deposition will be about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cat Puke posted:

What does Lionel look like? I feel like I have a strong picture in my head.

A video of him was posted earlier itt:;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrh-1QqvhjA

It's marked as "Not available in your country" (UK) now, maybe it's available wherever you are, but I wasn't surprised by how he looked.