Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Short answer: Yes.

Longer Answer: Yes, but since he's the only one of the 'Big Three' who talks and Robert Englund has charisma, plus the bad habit of horror films tending to be constructed under the logic that people are there for the deaths, ergo the characters are often made one dimensional annoying assholes so you will cheer on the killer killing them (which completely undermines that these are supposed to be HORROR films, oy, the 80's man, it was a backwards time) means he ended up a pop culture icon despite the fact that he's the most vile of the three. Michael is supposed to basically be a manifestation of how people understood serial killers back in the day (ie, they kill 'without reason', can seemingly be anyone, and seem utterly inhuman, taken to the logical extreme); his whole point is that his motives cannot be comprehended. Jason's basically a brain damaged dog slash computer repeatedly following one last command: kill for my mother, it will make her happy, and they both targeted 'teenagers', who, due to casting, look like young adults in all these films, hence we forget that they're all murdering children as well.

But Freddy explicitly targeted children to murder. Then when he was (righteously) targeted by an angry mob and killed, he was so drat rotten that he came back to KEEP murdering children in revenge for his wholly justified and earned demise, AND he did it in a way that he could not be further targeted or fought back against via any traditional method. Shooting Jason and Michael might not stop them, but it will at least AFFECT them briefly. With Freddy, he gets to play at being an untouchable god, with only specific plot events allowing anyone to properly fight back against him.

So yes. He's a bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Cornwind Evil posted:

he's the only one of the 'Big Three' who talks and Robert Englund has charisma, plus... the characters are often made one dimensional annoying assholes so you will cheer on the killer killing them... means he ended up a pop culture icon despite the fact that he's the most vile of the three
I don't think tht checks out

nightmare on elm street 3 is the one where he started cracking wise, and it has easily the most likable kids of the three franchises. joey is an angel
they're basically the kids from hey arnold, even the "bully" is actually a big sweetheart and they're all rooting for each other and at the end they all team up in the dreamworld and awaken their dream superpowers to defeat fred

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Cubone posted:

do amityville horror

Those movies were based on the Lutz family, who bought a murder house that they couldn't really afford and went all "eek, ghosts!" to try to avoid losing their rear end on the murder house. The murder's lawyer played into it to try to help his client's case, and some other grifters—including top-tier shitheads Ed and Lorraine Warren (whose other hoax cases got turned into The Conjuring movies)—hopped on. The liars made too much money off book/movie deals but not as much as they thought they should have because as a place name, Amityville can't be trademarked. So now any rear end in a top hat with a digital camera and a dream can make an "Amityville" movie as long as they're vague about the backstory.

The first movie is the "we moved into a murder house" bullshit, and the second is a prequel based on the murderer. The third movie targets a reporter who's been calling the haunted house a scam and kind of comes across as a revenge fantasy about an irl person who worked on debunking the Lutz story. After that the curse starts infecting other houses by hiding in garage sale crap, so you'd buy a funky lamp or weird dollhouse and then boom. Amityvilled.

The 90s movies are mostly bad but could be fun to watch with friends while drunk. But pretty much anything that came out after the Ryan Renolds remake is total garbage. Wikipedia says that four Amityville movies were released just last year; at this point it seems like something that gets slapped on cheap, direct-to-streaming nonsense to get more attention than a generic title might.

To sum up: the Lutzes were bitches, that guy who murdered his whole family was a bitch, the Warrens were Head Bitches of Bitch Mountain, and bad filmmakers who try to trick us into watching their unrelated movies are bitches. I'm not gonna say Freddy was a bitch though because I don't want to get dream murdered.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
oh ok. thank you

I was wondering about the continuity because I feel like the house blew up at the end of like 3 of those movies but the only one I really paid attention to was the one with the evil lamp

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

If I'm remembering right, only the first 3 are about the original house and there is no significant continuity after that. A lot of the rest of them are basic haunted house/possession movies that start with some moron buying A Thing in Amityville. Lots of those houses probably end up getting hosed up.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

deety posted:

I'm not gonna say Freddy was a bitch though because I don't want to get dream murdered.

The trick with Freddy is that on the basis you're in a dream, reality is play-doh: you can do anything. The problem is, Freddy knows this as well (it's how he murders) and in general he's better at most anyone who tries to use it, if just through practice/being backed by a trio of 'dream demons'. So basically you just have to out-willpower the bastard in this dumb theorizing. Oh, and fire always works. He hates fire. It caused his original death and all.

Also, the Amityville house benefited IMMENSELY by a lucky quirk of design: here's how it looks.

Just a normal house? Yeah, in the daylight. Fiddle with the lighting and...

And even based on total horseshit, the first movie is still a pretty effective horror film.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

robert englund played the most beloved pedophile in modern times when you really think about it

Thats Indiana Jones

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

deety posted:

I'm not gonna say Freddy was a bitch though because I don't want to get dream murdered.

Wise. A number of posters ITT will likely get revenge fisted by his glove of knives.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

if Freddy Krueger wants to be a bitch, then all power to her. you go girl!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

get out of my dreams

Get in to my car :pedo:

Freddy Epstein.