Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

What is Inscryption?

Inscryption is an indie deckbuilding roguelike puzzle game. It was developed by Daniel Mullins Games and published by Devolver Digital. It's the third game by Daniel Mullins, creator of Pony Island and The Hex, and it featured an alternate reality game associated with its development and release.

The core gameplay involves building a deck of cards, facing off in card battles against a mysterious opponent who also serves as your guide. The battles, cards, and items acquired are all randomized, meaning that no two trials are the same, but that is not all there is to the game. There are also puzzles to solve, allies to befriend, and a mystery to answer as to what the game actually is.

What kind of LP is this?

This is a subtitled video LP. The game was gifted to me by my good friend Maple Leaf, who also encouraged me to do this Let's Play as before. You, loyal goons and viewers, will eventually participate in making choices on what to do or decks to build later. Please note that, while I have already completed this game fully, I ask that you respect a light spoilers rule. In fact, I'd recommend you even buy and download this game for yourselves if the gameplay loop entices you! If you want to discuss card combinations or mechanics once they've been revealed, you are free to do so, but if you want to discuss something we haven't seen or will see in the near future, put it in spoiler tags.

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
I look forward to it!

Olive Branch posted:

You, loyal goons and viewers, will periodically participatie in making choices on what to do or decks to build later.

Also "participatie" should be "participate".

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

This was an... Interesting game. There was a bit where I feel... Well, I can't get into that right now. But it's a game that... Well, at least it promotes discussion.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

This is a game that does some things really well and some things not-so-well. I think it got a bit of a bad rap for no reason though. That said I beat it in like two days cause I played it constantly so...

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Between this and Slay The Spire I learned that apparently deck building games are just not for me no matter how popular and well reviewed they are. Interested in seeing what cool stuff the game does I couldn't bear to play it long enough to see.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Sindai posted:

I couldn't bear to play it long enough to see.
The power progression of this game differs from Slay the Spire. It’s more like an advancing puzzle game designed for you to overcome it with ever increasing advantage instead of providing an competitive challenge.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Oh man I'm loving psyched for this! I love this game so much.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I have been told that this game is quite an experience. I'll be looking forward to this!

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

I'm interested in seeing how you handle this game.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
From the blood sacrifices and the-cards-are-alive motif, it's pretty clear this game takes some inspiration from Yu-Gi-Oh!

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Sindai posted:

Between this and Slay The Spire I learned that apparently deck building games are just not for me no matter how popular and well reviewed they are. Interested in seeing what cool stuff the game does I couldn't bear to play it long enough to see.

Yeah same really, glad to see it LP'd because I can't stand deck builder games. Which is real weird, because I've played a lot of RNG heavy games, but they just feel arbitrary. And now of course every other indie game is one so....

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Flair posted:

From the blood sacrifices and the-cards-are-alive motif, it's pretty clear this game takes some inspiration from Yu-Gi-Oh!

The game is peppered with both subtle and unsubtle references to a bunch of card games. It's clear that Mullins didn't just choose to make this a deckbuilder for the sake of trying yet another genre - dude legitimately loves him some cards.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Hungry Flames deals 3 damage to target creature and 2 damage to target player.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Curious, the DM collected the excess damage/teeth/dice into a bowl. I wonder why. And now I'm wondering how you would beat that fight with the stupidly huge bears.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Another perspective not pointed out in the video is to choose a card just for its sigil so that it can be sacrificed to another card. It would be an argument for choosing the Adder before the fork.

Big Mad Drongo posted:

The game is peppered with both subtle and unsubtle references to a bunch of card games. It's clear that Mullins didn't just choose to make this a deckbuilder for the sake of trying yet another genre - dude legitimately loves him some cards.

Yeah, I will like to point out some of them while the LP progresses.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Really, a venomous stoat ought to be slaughtering everything solo. Regular non-venomous stoats who don't have glowing eyes can already punch way, way above their weight and most big predators will think twice before loving with one.

On a completely unrelated note, can you stack multiple sigils on one creature? Asking for a friend. Who is not a stoat.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

berryjon posted:

Curious, the DM collected the excess damage/teeth/dice into a bowl. I wonder why. And now I'm wondering how you would beat that fight with the stupidly huge bears.
Those extra teeth have a purpose you'll see in about two or three videos, I'd say! To beat the Grizzlies I probably would have needed to topdeck the Stoat or chump block with Squirrels while digging for the Stoat, maybe.

Flair posted:

Another perspective not pointed out in the video is to choose a card just for its sigil so that it can be sacrificed to another card. It would be an argument for choosing the Adder before the fork.
Very true. I would have gotten the Adder if I had another weak and cheap creature to pump.

Black Robe posted:

On a completely unrelated note, can you stack multiple sigils on one creature? Asking for a friend. Who is not a stoat.
You can! Later on I'll definitely be stacking Sigils to make some very OP creatures.

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 17, 2022

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I've seen the first bit of this game on Twitch and the stuff you can do walking around the cabin looked quite intriguing. There's probably a lot I haven't seen yet.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Black Robe posted:

Really, a venomous stoat ought to be slaughtering everything solo. Regular non-venomous stoats who don't have glowing eyes can already punch way, way above their weight and most big predators will think twice before loving with one.

to be fair, this stoat in particular seems like he has wimpy noodle arms and reeks of failure

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I like this Stoat guy and I'm sure things will go super with them all the way throughout the game.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

I wondered why the OP's name was familliar!
What happened to https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3902207&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=13 ?

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

I'll get back to that... eventually! I burned out a bit on writing that LP. Maple Leaf also kept asking me to update it.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Olive Branch posted:

I'll get back to that... eventually! I burned out a bit on writing that LP. Maple Leaf also kept asking me to update it.

Understandable, wish you just said as much, always sad to see a thread just go into limbo.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Will the Stoat become the hero of our times?

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

By the way, do consider instituting a spoiler policy. While plot and setting details would be quite obvious spoilers, mentioning cards/mechanics we have not seen yet and might not even see, is less obvious of a problem.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

I already put a no spoilers rule in the OP! Especially for all you blind or little play time readers! If you want to spoil some mechanics or sigils, wait until video four or five. You'll know why if you played.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

{2}{R}: Miner's Bane gets +1/+0 and gains trample until end of turn. (If it would assign enough damage to its blockers to destroy them, you may have it assign the rest of its damage to defending player or planeswalker.)

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I never picked Urayuli. 7/7 is fantastic but 4 cost is just too much. That's your entire loving board for just one card.

DrKirre
Jun 11, 2014

Am I a mouse dreaming I'm a cat, or a scratching post dreaming I'm a bowl of wet food? Never assume what you see and feel is real!
Mmm... wet food...
Urayuli alone, bad. Urayuli that's had a Corpse Maggots sacrificed to it so it summons itself whenever one of your creatures die? Better.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Seraphic Neoman posted:

I never picked Urayuli. 7/7 is fantastic but 4 cost is just too much. That's your entire loving board for just one card.

A monster of a card, mind. Play it against an empty space and unless you're badly losing, you win.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
Oh boy, this game.

I went in completely blind, not even knowing about the developers previous work and I'm going to have.... opinions later

The atmosphere and just the whole feel of this board game against the shadow dude is so much my poo poo it's like it was made for me

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

DrKirre posted:

Urayuli alone, bad. Urayuli that's had a Corpse Maggots sacrificed to it so it summons itself whenever one of your creatures die? Better.

Yowza, what a combination.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..
Convenient, I just finished this game tonight. Now I can watch how someone else does it before I do another playthrough.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
OST for this game is absolutely awesome, especially for third and fourth boss of act 1. I really liked this game and I am waiting for possibility to discuss it, I do not understand why it has a bad rep.

ThePenIsMightier
Dec 21, 2009
My understanding is that it has a pretty good reputation overall, but 'bad rep' comes from expectations not meeting reality. The game lifts concepts directly from other games but doesn't do them quite as deeply: In this section, I'm wired to think "Slay the Spire", but the choices aren't as deep and the card portion not as complex and the potions aren't as interesting. (right now)

So it leaves the card game thinker in me completely underwhelmed: That's ok, the rest of the game more than makes up for it, but it subverts expectations on that front.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Since the deck is mentioned in the video, the kind of deck that would summon Urayuli efficiently is what speedrunners use.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Whenever another creature you control enters the battlefield or dies, if that creature's power is greater than Pelt Collector's, put a +1/+1 counter on Pelt Collector. As long as Pelt Collector has three or more +1/+1 counters on it, it has trample.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Harpie's Birdleg Fan is another reference to Yu-Gi-Oh!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I never take kingfishers seriously. One damage is easily mitigated by most cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I'm pretty impressed by the atmosphere; I'm not used to card games getting this tense.