Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
On the 10/16 video, after the distorted part, Luke's shirt changes! Spooky poo poo going on.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Hey everyone! Happy new year and Lunar New Year as well. I've recorded way ahead to build a good archive for video footage, but have been busy this month (with work and games) so haven't done the harder task of subtitling videos. I'll have an update or two or even three ready by next weekend, as this one is already taken up with out of town travel.

The quest to be a Scrybe will continue!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Looking forward to it.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..
Cheers, that's great news and I'm eager for the continued destruction of this excellent game.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

carrionman posted:

Can we just appreciate how drat good the music is in this game?

Its absolutely mindblowing, especially Trapper theme.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

When you cast your next instant or sorcery spell this turn, copy that spell. You may choose new targets for the copy.

self_invention
Dec 25, 2010

Incredible how the game keeps pulling unexpected stuff out to throw at you! Really enjoying this LP, thank you.

comicfan92
Aug 30, 2018
The tower is an important reminder that Magnificus, despite probably being the smartest Scrybe in general among the four (and whose plan let helped us escape Leshy's cabin), is as equally flawed as the rest if not more so, depending on your values.

Magnificus treats his students terribly, basically subjecting them to torturous experiences as a twisted "test", with the only reward being the chance to be turned into his card as part of his deck. Even if the students might think the opportunity is worth it, it still feels very messed up.
Leshy is very focused on creating atmosphere for his games, to the point that he will ignore or even break the rules if you don't play along (or if he gets angry enough), and he trapped the other Scrybes in cards. However, he legitimately did seem to think he was doing them a favor, and he seemed to have some regrets about it. He also seems to have at least some respect for his underlings, or at least doesn't mistreat them like Magnificus or P03 does.
Grimora seems to be the friendliest to the Player out of all the Scrybes, but she also seems to be fatalist, bordering on suicidal.
P03 is the opposite of Leshy in a lot of ways, preferring to focus purely on the mechanical side of the game (no pun intended). He also treats his underlings even worse than Magnificus does, with their dialogue implying that it's expected that they give up their lives if they can't be useful to P03.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
There's an interesting read on the Scrybes, that each of them represent a part of the creative process that goes into making a game, but the one who is hardest to figure out is Grimora. Leshy is about atmosphere and story, P03 is about interesting game mechanics and rules, Magnificus is about the aesthetic elements, but Grimora... ironically she seems to me like the spirit of making sure everyone has fun.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
I find it interesting how the characters, aesthetics, and motif from the previous section are manifesting themselves now.

comicfan92
Aug 30, 2018

GunnerJ posted:

There's an interesting read on the Scrybes, that each of them represent a part of the creative process that goes into making a game, but the one who is hardest to figure out is Grimora. Leshy is about atmosphere and story, P03 is about interesting game mechanics and rules, Magnificus is about the aesthetic elements, but Grimora... ironically she seems to me like the spirit of making sure everyone has fun.

If this is the case, then Grimora's role would arguably be the most important, since it doesn't matter how impressive a game's story, mechanics or aesthetics are if neither the player or the developers can have at least some fun in the process - without at least some sense of enjoyment, a game would either be abandoned as a curiosity by the player base or never make it past the development cycle due to conflicts or lack of interest by its creators.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

comicfan92 posted:

If this is the case, then Grimora's role would arguably be the most important, since it doesn't matter how impressive a game's story, mechanics or aesthetics are if neither the player or the developers can have at least some fun in the process - without at least some sense of enjoyment, a game would either be abandoned as a curiosity by the player base or never make it past the development cycle due to conflicts or lack of interest by its creators.

You say that, but there are plenty of games out there where nobody seems to be having fun at any stage of the process and it's clear the people who made it hate it as much as the players. Lots of them have been LPed on this very forum.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

GunnerJ posted:

I could see Grimora representing the need to just finish the drat thing - the importance of saying no to feature creep, to perfectionism. Kill your darlings, says Grimora.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Counter target spell unless its controller pays {2}.
Corrupted — Counter that spell instead if its controller has three or more poison counters.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
These people need to stop putting new games in this game. It's just getting annoying now.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Felinoid posted:

These people need to stop putting new games in this game. It's just getting annoying now.

Yo dawg, I heard you like card games!

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
The glitchy card seemed to have HP, and it was definitely reduced by attacks, so could it potentially be destroyed by, say, an Ouroboros on turn 2 before it can do anything?

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

I certainly like card games, but this particular part drags on just a little too long.

Epicmissingno posted:

The glitchy card seemed to have HP, and it was definitely reduced by attacks, so could it potentially be destroyed by, say, an Ouroboros on turn 2 before it can do anything?

Doing so still causes the end, as does doing enough damage to win on round 1.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

Chronische posted:

I certainly like card games, but this particular part drags on just a little too long.

I thought it was fun to a point, but there is definitely some excessive padding via backtracking - especially for a person playing the game for the first time without a guide.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

You gain 4 life. If a creature died this turn, you gain 8 life instead.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Oh, we playing straight hearthstone now huh.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
The bot isn’t half as good a DM as Leshy. That guy had style.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Besides P03 being a bad storyteller, it's notable how openly he seeks validation. Leshy wanted validation too, to some extent, but P03 is just like "Isn't this awesome??? Eh??" Like a very novice GM, essentially, wanting the players to be impressed by their homebrew game mechanics.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

Yaaaaaay welcome back! This was a great and unexpected treat to wake up to.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

GunnerJ posted:

Besides P03 being a bad storyteller, it's notable how openly he seeks validation. Leshy wanted validation too, to some extent, but P03 is just like "Isn't this awesome??? Eh??" Like a very novice GM, essentially, wanting the players to be impressed by their homebrew game mechanics.

Yeah, he's extremely petty.

comicfan92
Aug 30, 2018
Yeah, we're already seeing a clear difference between Leshy and P03 as Game Masters or whatever term they used (apart from the obvious like the aesthetics or the gameplay choice of using Energy instead of Blood).

Leshy, as we saw, put a lot of work into building an atmosphere and building narrative justifications around the mechanics. While said atmosphere and narratives were often haunting or horrific (lest we forget pulling out your teeth or gouging out your eye), you had to admit they had a style to them. The mechanics themselves, meanwhile, were comparatively an afterthought - they worked, but as we saw, you could very easily break the game with just a bit of luck and forethought. Of course Leshy is also something of a hypocrite at times, pulling tantrums a la Full Field of Murder Bears if you go too fast through his story for his liking, or during the final battle where he pulls the Moon out of his rear end as a final challenge.

P03, meanwhile, seems to have a more mechanically balanced game design so far. While there are ways to make strong cards (see Olive's Insta-Kill Sniper), you're not going to be making turn 1 insta-wins either unless you happen to find our old tail-eating friend of course. On the other hand... well, it's pretty clear that a storyteller, P03 is not. He barely makes a token effort, then stops making that effort, clearly caring more about how cool his game mechanics are and wanting you to know how cool they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Glad to see this back!

P-03's ever-present eye twitch is telling. I feel seen. My early attempts at GMing were very obsessed with mechanics.