Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

berryjon posted:

Curious, the DM collected the excess damage/teeth/dice into a bowl. I wonder why. And now I'm wondering how you would beat that fight with the stupidly huge bears.

I had a sparrow block the first grizzly plus win a point of damage and put down a wolf with a squirrel and a squirrel in a bottle in the second empty space before the next bear showed up for an additional 3 points (letting your creatures go first is not a small concession as it happens). It's maybe not worth a video to show what happens but let's just say the DM doesn't take even getting close to beating that fight well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

azren posted:

I'm pretty impressed by the atmosphere; I'm not used to card games getting this tense.

The music and the GM's voice effects really add to the milieu.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

{1}, {Tap}: Discard a card: You gain 4 life.
{1}, {Tap}: Pay 1 life: Put a 0/1 white Goat creature token onto the battlefield.
{1}, {Tap}: Sacrifice a creature: Return target artifact card from your graveyard to your hand.
{1}, {Tap}: Sacrifice an artifact: Draw a card.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..
Cat is absolutely critical IMO, especially for sacrifices. Glad to see you snagged one. I recall a time when I was able to graft that many lives ability onto a Black Goat, and life was real good.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

CK07 posted:

Cat is absolutely critical IMO, especially for sacrifices. Glad to see you snagged one. I recall a time when I was able to graft that many lives ability onto a Black Goat, and life was real good.

The fun thing about Inscryption is that if you find a way to just wreck the game it says "...okay, cool. Have fun." Some tricks are easier than others.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
I do see the dream in transferring bifurcated to geck, but I would transfer to the wolf cub just to be safe. Nonetheless, I can't wait for the geck to start swinging in.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

What happens if you put an evolves into a more powerful creature on a Geck? Or a cat?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Veloxyll posted:

What happens if you put an evolves into a more powerful creature on a Geck? Or a cat?

I'm curious what would have happened when that Warren grew up. Probably would have just had higher stats or something, but who knows?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Veloxyll posted:

Dire Geck/dire cat? Giant Geck/cat? Tiger?
There's plenty of modifiers you can use and I assume the stat upgrade is standardized.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Veloxyll posted:

Fledgling on any creature that doesn't have it naturally turns the creature into an "Elder" version of itself with a base stat increase of +1/+1, so the Warren would actually be able to contribute damage.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Olive Branch posted:

Fledgling on any creature that doesn't have it naturally turns the creature into an "Elder" version of itself with a base stat increase of +1/+1, so the Warren would actually be able to contribute damage.

+1/+2 actually.
Also some cards that don't have it naturally still have a special upgrade form, even if it's just a funny name a lot of the time

Regallion fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 3, 2022

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Personally I'm curious what happens if you lose your first "mistake" on the second stage of a boss. Does it start over from the beginning, or save the board state from when you beat the first stage? I can't imagine it would just skip you past a boss like it would a regular battle.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I noticed your candle re-lit. Is that just a limit to the number of losses you can have in a given battle?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

azren posted:

I noticed your candle re-lit. Is that just a limit to the number of losses you can have in a given battle?

Your candles get relit whenever you clear a boss.

The Cat and the Warren with the Fledgling were both solid choices. I'm a fan of rush strategies so being able to turn one blood into two blood kinda puts it a bit above the Cat for me, but both picks are very viable.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Regallion posted:

+1/+2 actually.
Also some cards that don't have it naturally still have a special upgrade form, even if it's just a funny name a lot of the time
Plus two health? Huh. Must be getting confused, I could have sworn I saw Stoat go into Elder Stoat as a 2/4, but memory's a fickle thing.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

Bruceski posted:

The fun thing about Inscryption is that if you find a way to just wreck the game it says "...okay, cool. Have fun." Some tricks are easier than others.

That was 99% my experience, though there was one occasion where I didn't find that to be the case. I can't remember which boss it was, I think it was the second one. I took out its second light in the very first round after I put out its first light, and it flipped out and basically said "nope, it's too soon" and just kicked me to fail state. Don't know if the game just won't let you progress past a certain point without dying first or what, I'm pretty sure I hadn't died yet on that occasion. Curious to see whether something similar happens to Olive!

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

CK07 posted:

That was 99% my experience, though there was one occasion where I didn't find that to be the case. I can't remember which boss it was, I think it was the second one. I took out its second light in the very first round after I put out its first light, and it flipped out and basically said "nope, it's too soon" and just kicked me to fail state. Don't know if the game just won't let you progress past a certain point without dying first or what, I'm pretty sure I hadn't died yet on that occasion. Curious to see whether something similar happens to Olive!

If you mean the part where he spawns a shitload of sharks, that's normal for any playthrough that makes it that far "too soon."

It's possible to still beat him there if you have the deck/items, and if you do, the game progresses like nothing's amiss.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Maple Leaf posted:

If you mean the part where he spawns a shitload of sharks, that's normal for any playthrough that makes it that far "too soon."

It's possible to still beat him there if you have the deck/items, and if you do, the game progresses like nothing's amiss.

I think the red eyes would not be considered "nothing's amiss".

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

I'm editing the OP to change from "no spoilers" to "light spoilers" because the cat's out of the bag for some future cards, mechanics, and events, but thankfully not only did you all keep it behind spoilers, the cat also has Many Lives, so it's all good.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I dunno whether I'm just bad at card games or what but this game is kicking my rear end. This LP made it look easy!

eta update: drat there are some broken insta-win combos available.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 6, 2022

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

GunnerJ posted:

eta update: drat there are some broken insta-win combos available.

I kinda like games that have this opportunity. It makes it kinda silly-fun.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Yeah. Also just an interesting goal from the designers point of view. The chance to do ridiculous things. The chance for less skilled players to still progress. Space for people to talk and discuss going "If you do this and this, it's just win!"

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Samovar posted:

I kinda like games that have this opportunity. It makes it kinda silly-fun.

You will like this game, then. I don't want to say much about what I combo got yet in case it comes up in the LP but I think this sort of broken nonsense is like, thematically intended? For what the game overall is going for.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Whenever Blood Artist or another creature dies, target player loses 1 life and you gain 1 life.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Oof, 2-cost deathcard when you had a geck.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Regallion posted:

Oof, 2-cost deathcard when you had a geck.

Yeah I feel like that is why I typically ignore the blood curve and opt for small decks with boosted 0-1 blood cards; if I do die, I rather not be punished for respecting the blood curve.

And now you know what happens.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Holy gently caress the boss music for this guy is so good.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

DreadUnknown posted:

Holy gently caress the boss music for this guy is so good.

Inscryption has a ton of really good understated music.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I always felt weirdly glad (though sometimes also annoyed) when I managed to get the game to do that.

Of course, I also had watched a friend play a bunch of this area before so kind of zoomed through some bits.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Heck. I'd seen The Smoke before and just forgot about it :doh:

So is the bullshit because you 1-turned him or just because you weren't supposed to get this far on your first run?

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Samovar posted:

This was an... Interesting game. There was a bit where I feel... Well, I can't get into that right now. But it's a game that... Well, at least it promotes discussion.

I genuinely liked the game all the way through, but I can see how some might not have enjoyed certain parts I suppose.

Felinoid posted:

Heck. I'd seen The Smoke before and just forgot about it :doh:

So is the bullshit because you 1-turned him or just because you weren't supposed to get this far on your first run?

The latter, though it's entirely possible to beat on your very first run! Even considering the bullshit!

Overall, this game is my favorite game of all last year, and one of my new favorites of all time. I just wish it was... more! Fortunately, modders have been kind!

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Yeah, it's a story-related moment to punish the player and force them to encounter the Deathcard mechanic, but if your items and cards are just good enough (had I had, say, two Scissors or one Hourglass) you can slip past the second boss's cheat mode and continue the story and quest as if nothing had happened.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Olive Branch posted:

Yeah, it's a story-related moment to punish the player and force them to encounter the Deathcard mechanic, but if your items and cards are just good enough (had I had, say, two Scissors or one Hourglass) you can slip past the second boss's cheat mode and continue the story and quest as if nothing had happened.

Glad it lets you do that; that freedom to exceed the game's expectations can be really nice.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Is the stoat ever chosen for the death card? If so, do they say anything?

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Scaramouche posted:

Is the stoat ever chosen for the death card? If so, do they say anything?

No. Which is an issue for those of us who use most of the upgrades on it.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
At first I thought it was gonna be an instant game over and be all gruesome with the hands coming out at us, and then I thought we were gonna turn into the stoat, which was why it was talking to us, because it is us from the previous playthrough. Though, I'm pretty sure I'm just overthinking it while also being annoyed that the DM is a cheating cheat who summons like 6 grizzlies when Olive one shot him (I get that it's a story checkpoint, but it's still bullshit).

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Hang on, the video updated incorrectly. Will fix for tomorrow!

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Until end of turn, target creature gets +1/+0 and gains lifelink and "When this creature dies, return it to the battlefield tapped under its owner's control."

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Hm, yes, the critter that was introduced and mentioned at 0:46 is most certainly a rattler, not an opposum or a raccoon or something silly like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

I'm talking about the critter on his side of the board, not mine! :v: