Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
CPU: 5800x with noctua nhd15
GPU: TUF 3080
Motherboard: TUF b550 plus
Ram: 16 GBs Patriot viper 4000mhz
PSU: Corsair TX750w
2 SSD and 1 HDD
Monitor: 1440p 60hz Benq
Second monitor drawing tablet

Backstory: This is a build I've had running for the last year and a bit and I've had very infrequent system crashes and occasional game crashes to desktop. The system crashes were most prevalent during the launch of MS flight sim 2020 when I had cranked all the setting to the max but after lowering them the system was stable.

Then I starting playing Doom and was crashing to desktop occasionally. This was with unlocked fps so limited fps to 60 and let GeForce experience do its thing and it cut down. On those crashes.

Current: I picked up Sekiro again to finish off the last few bosses and am getting slow downs (infrequent but will come in threes) and rare crashes to desktop. I thought I had solved the slowdowns by turning off chrome hardware acceleration for YouTube videos playing on the second monitor but I had another hitch then crash last night. I have hwmonitor open and CPU (60c) and GPU temps are fine. And I don't see anything obvious so the only thing that I can think of is that there are power delivery issues.

I could go out and get a 1000w PSU because my current one has very noticeable coil whine which kinda messes with the rest of the whisper quiet system but is there any lines in Hwmonitor that I should watch before taking that course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
It's possible. Start by using Afterburner or Precision X to drop the power limit as far as it will go and then load it up and let it churn overnight. If it doesn't crash, put it back to normal and run it again the next night.

And for the love of god get a better monitor. Having a $1500 GPU but skipping a $300 monitor is insane.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

K8.0 posted:

It's possible. Start by using Afterburner or Precision X to drop the power limit as far as it will go and then load it up and let it churn overnight. If it doesn't crash, put it back to normal and run it again the next night.

And for the love of god get a better monitor. Having a $1500 GPU but skipping a $300 monitor is insane.

I'll try that.

And in my defense the monitor is 8 years old and has served me without fail. The plan was to get a LG CX 48 but Canadian availability and pricing hosed that up.