Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Problem description: Occasionally my PC will turn off or restart. My PC is 5 or 6 years old, so I was thinking it is just getting worn out. It feels random. For example, I've been playing the remake of Diablo 2 all week with no issues, today when I clicked to join a multiplayer game my PC restarted. Other times I will go to sleep and find my PC has restarted when I wake up.

Attempted fixes: When my PC restarted today, I entered the BIOS just to check around. My CPU was at 60°C and I thought, ah hah! My CPU must be overheating and it shuts down to cool off. There is an option in my BIOS of something like "smart fan = enabled". I disabled it, and now I can clearly hear my loud CPU fan continuously on. Thinking back, the fan used to turn on when I was playing a game or have other high CPU usage. Somewhere along the lines it stopped turning on. I downloaded a CPU temp program, and with the CPU fan at full force I'm sitting at 25°C

I have never changed something in the BIOS before today.

Recent changes: I run Windows system update, and sometimes it updates drivers. The restarting issue been this way for awhile, 6 months, maybe a year.

--

Operating system: Windows Home 10 64-bit

System specs: Acer Predator G3-710, model AG5W2

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

--

The problem is probably fixed now, but it would be nice if this noisy fan went back to "smart" operation. I sit two feet away from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
60c isn't all that hot for a loaded CPU. Is it ideal? Probably not. Is it going to die? Absolutely not.

I'm not convinced anything was actually wrong.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

K8.0 posted:

60c isn't all that hot for a loaded CPU. Is it ideal? Probably not. Is it going to die? Absolutely not.

I'm not convinced anything was actually wrong.

The problem now is that I have to enable CPU fan full blast continuously on, or if I switch it to "smart" mode it never turns on.

When I turn the fan on, it is SO loud. I can hear the fan outside the room with the door closed.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

If the machine has constantly been reaching temperatures high enough to shut down the system for a year or so it's possible some hardware damage has occurred.

Replacing the CPU fan might fix the issue but it's not a guarantee.