Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

People heading into this thinking this is a replacement for any ARPG are going to be thoroughly disappointed.

This is korean first, mmo second, action based RPG third. And when I say action I dont mean western style arpgs as a genre, I mean that its more of an action MMO than regular tab target ones. You attacks have momentum, invisibility frames and more importantly commitment times where you can be punished if you use them at the wrong time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Wyrmthang posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/lostarkgame/comments/nxc12f/value_of_the_silver_gold_platinum_founder_packs/

This post on the Reddit is from a KR player parsing out the value of each pack vs the cost in the Korean in game store. Lots of good info in the replies as well if you wanted to dig in.

I honestly dont think they are going with the korean rates of currency, too inflated for western audiences. If they are saying 4k currency I'm going to expect its 40 bucks worth, not 4 bucks worth of it.

Captain Oblivious posted:

So is there any consensus on why certain classes are being weirdly withheld from NA/EU release, despite them being older classes in many cases?

Are they just planning to milk them as cash shop releases later or what?

Jesus what is this baby tantrum. No one's being negative, they're being straight forward about how the game plays so that people know what they're getting into. You're responding to people who are hype about playing the game.

None of the classes are being withheld to be cash shop, classes are content in the game and they wouldn't gate them like that. They are witholding them to have content to release regularly to have people login in a few month.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Soulfist can be one of the top damaging units in the game but so much of it relies on her identity and ult that I just couldn't enjoy it. You gotta have a particular lizard brain that likes seeing the biggest one hit numbers in the game and be good enough to understand when to properly use it and thats just not for me.

I will probably roll demon demonic. Her constant devil trigger build seems a lot of fun. Either that or I'll flip a coin for either striker or sorc

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Artist seems like its going to be an interesting support, pretty different from the bard and paladin.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

At least in the korean/russian version its like 1% extra stats, which equates to even less total damage increase. The real bonus is to help boost npc relationship

I dont know if the western version is going to do what the other versions do but you can sell mats for premium currency for other players which then you can use to buy cash shop items.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Hiro Protagonist posted:

FFXIV has tainted me, how's the game's story and lore?

The story presentation is leagues worse but its not that the actual story is insultingly bad and contradicting itself like in other MMOs.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Google Butt posted:

what makes this different than Diablo

The endgame is an MMO where you run dailies to maximize your resources gain to upgrade your characters instead of being ungated map farming like most arpgs.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

You can sit around and wait for big spear lady later but no swords, just like guys cant cast spells

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Evil_Greven posted:

Started Soulfist, did prologue. Rolled Shadowhunter, and it feels a lot smoother. I might do this prologue a few times just to try some classes.

e: In the test area, I didn't care for Deathblade. Did like Wardancer, Scrapper was ok. Like paladin, berserker is ok, didn't like gunlancer though. Not sure how representative these test areas are for actually doing skills though; Soulfist felt better in the prologue than the test area.

a lot of people are going to see soulfist and be baited into thinking you are goku but like 90% of your power is behind your ult and always feels anemic if you dont have and it feels terrible if you miss it.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

A lot of advance classes have two functional builds. Like sorcs can focus on big burst windows or consistent damage that doesnt rely on their identity skill. Demonics and scouters have a build that has them nearly always in their powered up state and one that doesnt use it at all.

Soulfist is stuck with spirit bomb build. You gotta enjoy that playstayle of looking for one single big number every few minutes because if you dont you are going to be disappointed.

Thirsty Dog posted:

Soulfist felt the coolest of the three options for lady martial artist, which I was not expecting at all.

By ult do you mean the hype system or the big light blast attack?

Hype is their identity skill, and the spirit bomb is their ult. Hype and her ult goes hand in hand because you need to be at max hype to maximize that burst window. And its not just you keeping track of your window, its matching it with your allies support damage boosters too. All burst window classes tend to rely on more situational awareness on both your bosses and allies to do well.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Feb 9, 2022

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The quests go by quickly, they just have you press G an ungodly amount of time. Just bind g to scroll wheel or macro it to another mouse button if you can. I have it set it up like this and it aint that bad

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 9, 2022

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ort posted:

Do the tripod morphs change your skill animations? Like if you morph to water does it become all splashy.

Yes, some do change how the animation play by a bit, some change it drastically.

Like the new artist class in korea has one ability that paints the sun and another that paints the moon and the tripods change the strokes to make the symbol on the ground a lot.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

whalestory posted:

From a few pages back but does this mean soulfist is kind of like monk/champion from ragnarok online? like it uses something akin to asura strike/guillotine fist...

Not really. Asura knocked out all your MP and it was mostly used to OTK people in PVP. Most monks used that ball fling ability for sustained damage. Also asura was a point and click.

Soulfist is a rollercoaster where you keep going down and spike up when your ults cooldown and hype line up. And the spirit bomb has like a 4 second wind up and most bosses constantly jump around screen so its really easy to miss if you dont know whats happening.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

joepinetree posted:

hopefully it gets better soon, but after ~2 and a half hours of playing my shadowhunter, I've managed to fill up the bar to transform into a demon exactly once.

Endgame shadow hunters have a build thats literally transformed 95% of the time. If runs out you do like 2 or 3 cooldowns back to back and go back into demon.

Its also the most faceroll combination of the game. You dont have to worry about cooldown windows or syncing with your allies or whatever, just hit button as they go out of cooldown.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I dont mind the anime grunts in this game because they have several different intonations per cast so they dont always get super repetitive like it is in other games. Specially anime fightning games.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

BexGu posted:

Oh, I just want to know what the classes are and how they play since they have been released already outside the US.

Scouter - A gunmans class that turns you into Ironman

Reaper - An assassin class that turns you into subtly rogue

Summoner - A mage class that has lots of fire and forget passive damage

Arcana - A mage class that has you fling cards both at melee and mid range, lets you customize using different arcana cards

Lance Master- Female martial artist that uses a long spear

Destroyer- A male warrior that has a comically large lightning hammer

Painter - A new support for the new base class, anime fox girl

F.Berserker - A female berserker with less pants and armor and more heels.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Sorc feels like cheating leveling compared to some of the melee classes. All abilities are wide aoes. Some of the widest hitting one are also the hardest hitting ones in general so you use them to chunk bosses. No resource management while leveling, just cast whatever you want thats out of cooldown

Scrapper early leveling in comparison is painful.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

fadam posted:

Is level cap 50 or 60?

50 is the softcap, you can still "level" but all you get are passive points

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

I played DFO so this is completely normal to me, personally.

Yeah, its pretty common in korean games. And hell, if it means we get more classes then stick with it.

Id rather F.Berserker be mechanically different to the male counter part just like F.gunner and M.Fighter are. Gives us more reason to play them

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

QuantaStarFire posted:

Nah, mechanical differences of classes based on gender is poo poo, especially if one gender's moveset ends up being mathematically better than the other. It should purely be a cosmetic choice.

Im talking about classes being mechanically different enough that math numbers dont matter, if you stick to one of the versions is because you like how they play better not because the math is a bit different.

Like in DNF the difference between f.mage and m.mage are insane, each advance class is different from the other. Same with m.priest and f.priest. Samething happens with BDO.

It sucks if you are more into the aesthetics of things but from mechanical gameplay standpoint I would rather development cycles be spent making new classes and keeping them balanced than making sure every class gets another model of the opposite gender.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Gwaihir posted:

Some classes (gunslinger) have essentially a carbon copy for both genders, and the developer has mentioned that making more like that is a priority, but yeah it is kinda strange imo.

They arent carbon copies though. They have different playstyles actually. Superficially they are similar in the same way wardancer and striker are similar from an aesthetic sense but they play differently.

This is the same dynamics as in other F2P korean games, classes are considered content. The type of content that has people return to the game to try them out. Thats less likely to happen if the class is a carbon copy with the gender swapped out.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Feb 12, 2022

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

They hosed up some EU servers by temporarily opening the early access ones so everyone flooded to those instead of using the new ones.

I dont know if thats happen in the US yet but I hope they dont make that mistake.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Buying anything thats not a cosmetic from the game story is a waste. Right now its difficult to see since the game is starting out but its going to turn into a BDO like experience where turbo whales with way more money than sense spend money for tiny gains and supply an endless horde of cosmetics/cash shop crystals for people with more time than money. Everyone wins except the grognards that take umbrage on someone using money to help get a higher GS than you for a few months before the games catch up systems make the gains meaningless

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Im watching a guy stream right now and his only recommendation is not to open boxes unless you absolutely know you are going to need it

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I said come in! posted:

What is a good zone for harvesting herbs? I never see them anywhere.

Open the map and right click to go into the world map, hover an area and you'll see what gathering mats there are in the sub areas.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Saintone is going over some important info and also updated his FAQ to include some other questions. Basically if you are mad that you think you bricked your character because you opened the "wrong" green book for your class engraving then dont be. Theres a repeatable quest you can do max out on green class engravings. Blue ones you are going to have to grind with the other usual ways, he goes over those too.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

HardKase posted:

How is this not an arpg. It's an MMOARPG. Mmo is a prefix, not a genre

Because when people hear arpg they think diablo and poe and this game might be superficially similar (95% of it is the camera perspective) but the rest is korean MMO.

And korean is a significantly heavier adjective than action in this case.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

acumen posted:

Yo where is this my island expeditions are only giving me the regular engravings and taking forever I'd rather just GGGGGGG in the same zone to catch up my two boosts

Actually apparently its not repeatable, he made it sound like it was in his stream but I guess he meant repeatable on alts, which is something you cant do with islands for example.

So chances are you might have done it already, its the memories of luterra, that you can for the pretty boy king.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Power pass available means you could boost them if you did have one, they hand them out occasionally in korea but right now you can get 2 from reaching cap and clearing the story up to a point.

And yes there used to be a class specific starting area where you had a class without specialization, it eventually led to trixion where you would pick your advance class. Was still disjointed though.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

You can see glimpses of the actual proper combat system while leveling when doing field bosses with a small group of people. Even having them be more common would have helped immensely with the difficulty thing.

Reality is that they should have the option to enable a hardmode from the start that doubles enemies HP and triples the damage you take.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

jokes posted:

I want to play 3 classes: sorceress, wardancer, and sharpshooter (bow boi). I am not eager to do the 1-50 three times— how many battle pass boosts do I get if I leveled two of them to 50 and did all the story?

You have to hand raise a character to cap and do the story to get 2 passes. So technically just from taking one through the grind you'll be able to play all 3 at cap. You can also use memory transfer to get another character to cap so you can have 4 characters at cap for the price of 1.

BUT the power passes aren't really recommended by people that actually have played the game extensively for people starting out. You miss out on a lot of mats and unless you have a plan on how to get them fully online for alt grinding then you could be left with a suboptimal experience.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Coeurl Marx posted:

I can't remember if it was in here or discord, but I've seen people say that powerpassing a new main isn't recommended right off the bat cause they'll be lacking something. Is it just cause you won't have all the bound battle items and % hp potions that a levelled character would have? I've been saving all my bound to roster chests full of them, my striker is almost 50 and I was tempted to try out and maybe switch to artillerist once I get there. There's definitely no way I'm taking another character through "press G simulator" anytime soon.

No, its usually your class engravings that are harder to get.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Kaysette posted:

If I can find a buff that’s triggered by ppl typing “babe” I’ll be unstoppable on Una.

I dont know if the other servers got this problem but if they dont I'm planning on moving

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ghostinmyshell posted:

I know were tired of the p2w discussion but after everyone making fun of it so far, where's the actual "I have a Visa card, here's hows to max out in 1 day" video. I would love to see a content creator actually do this.

edit: I agree the Korean voices improved so much! Some npc voices that repeatedly occur were so annoying.

Too shameful to post that you burned through 6k dollars and tanked the diamond to gold market to get 2 days ahead of people in the gearing phase to T3

T2 gear is so common right now you could probably jump straight into t2 item level with the gold you get from playing the game till you get the power passes

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

My Korean friend is playing with French voices so I doubt the performance is much better

Was going to say that the reason why you'd wouldn't find them annoying is because you cant understand them.

Im flipping it to spanish today to see if its any better, since both english and korean sound overacted and while I can barely understand the korean I can spanish. And if its mexicans doing the voice acting I'm absolutely going to love that poo poo because they can make it work.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

victrix posted:

yeah the lack of any sound effect (that I noticed?) or visual cue pretty much killed my interest in finding them organically - if I stumble across a few cool, otherwise no thanks

Next character I walk through the story will be done so with a guide for each moko seed if it exists. I'll move through each zone picking them up before going to the next.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

BadLlama posted:

When do gundams get added

Already in game, one of the dungeons has you pilot some.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Pragmatica posted:

This dungeon and zone are so fun. I loved it!

I liked the dungeon but god drat was the zone terrible. I hated all the lifts and the city and the quests forcing you to use the tram system SUCKED

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

sharknado slashfic posted:

I absolutely despise the keybinding limitations in this game. I've been playing wow for 15 years hitting 1 for healing potions, not F1 (among other things). Not being able to use shift. Not being able to rebind G to something sensible and H which has been my mount key forever. I'm actively having less fun and getting frustrated because I'm constantly fighting muscle memory.

Venting over.

e: unrelated, it there any terrible drawback to switching mains after 50?

Seriously get yourself a hand keypad / mouse with buttons. I had been using a g13 for years and if they still made them I would still buy a new one every so often (Up until recently I was using a red dragon monstrosity and now I'm using a razer one), its just convenient for MMOs to just be able to mitigate whatever bullshit the games designer throws at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Absolutely gutted, the spanish voice acting is by Spainards