Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

wolfs posted:

I’m looking forward to this one - it looks like it’ll scratch the itch POE whiffed for me

This is not an ARPG. It's an MMO with an isometric view that has what feels like ARPG combat at times, but not all the time. You'll be spending a lot of time running/ sailing from place to place talking to NPC's, completing MMO quests and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

MH Knights posted:

Maybe I am getting Lost Ark confused with another game but did AGS say they were working with SmileGate to make all of the classes not gender locked? I know AGS got more diverse options in character creation and NPCs but can't remember if anything was said about the gender locking of classes.

This is a SmileGate decision AFAIK based on feedback from Korea. It's already started, but is going to be a LONG process it looks like.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

How does PvP work in this game?

Right now it's more or less Arena. Solo queue 3v3. Or pre-made 3v3 that's unranked. There are a few small other instances of PvP. At the recent LOA ON(Blizzcon for Lost Ark), they mentioned Faction vs Faction will be introduced to Korea soon.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

wolfs posted:

that’s just like your opinion man

No, that's generally the idea that most people have. I think it's disingenous to imply that this game is more ARPG than MMO, because it's different than PoE, Last Epoch, Diablo, etc. There are times it feels like an ARPG, such as during Abyssal dungeons, but it's an MMO first and foremost. Secondarily, it could be said that it's like an ARPG for some things, and maybe even monster hunter like others(knowing boss animations, as well as your attack animations).

I'll concede that even the lost ark home page for the NA/ EU launch classifies it as an 'MMO Action RPG' aka MMO ARPG. I'm not going to derail the thread, but when people say ARPG the games that come to mind are Diablo, Path of Exile, Last Epoch, Torchlight, Titan Quest, and this isn't really like those at all, and I think many players can be turned off thinking that's what they are getting into when in reality they are getting into an MMO.

This is also noted in the OP in the second paragraph.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jan 14, 2022

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Don't forget you can stack packs too for what that's worth if that's your thing.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

If you haven't played LA before, push through the first 30 levels. It's outdated leveling, the story is as tropey as it gets, but it does get better after that.

Pigbottom posted:

My only major beef with the game besides the traditional korean gender lock is that the game relies heavily on positionals and I hate that.

This is why I think at end-game a lot of the content becomes a lot like Monster Hunter more so than ARPG. Knowing your animations, and the bosses animations are crucial. Especially since the bosses don't have patterns and can use abilities randomly.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Hefty posted:

Any chance they’ll have level boosts in the shop at launch?

I did 10-26 way too many times on RU in the last month trying different classes in PvP. I saved 30-50 for the NA release, but even then I’m not really looking forward to doing it more than once.

I’d love if arenas unlocked account-wide, but I’m happy to throw money at the problem instead if I can.

It's probably 15 hours to get to 50 as a fairly casual player, I highly doubt there will be a boost at launch.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Mr. Leonheart posted:

I'm super stoked to suffer extreme choice paralysis on launch day because too many of the classes look cool

Just pick something and level it to 50. If you follow optimum leveling it's 15 hours to get to 50. This game is much more about account progression early on than character progression. Get that first character to 50 so you can get to collecting upgrade materials and then sit on them while your alt paralysis kicks in.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

The community is losing their minds about no January update yet. So many people think it's being delayed. Roxx is saying multiple times there's no delay. She did say multiple updates this week.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

This is changing my launch plans dramatically.

I can see why they did T3 at release TBH. T1 and arguably T2 didn't have enough true content to keep the initial streamer hype train going for 4-8 weeks.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

As long as we don’t get some weird situation where you can’t get to t3 because nobody is running t1/2 content it’ll be whatever, but it’s gonna be rough for people who wanted to main stuff in t3 that isn’t going to be in at launch.

I think there is value in not dumping the mountain people have to climb immediately at launch, because it might be a lot, but who knows if it’ll be more damaging either way.

If this is a problem, it wouldn't be for a year. Too many people are going to be rolling alts trying to figure out mains and such. Not to mention you can cross server play for end-game content.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

so true

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Yeah it's overall a good thing. There's only two downsides that I can see.

1) with launching with only two, we had plenty of time to do the horizontal progression stuff which now will put a strain on the more casual players.

2) we are getting this Frankenstein hybrid client, that may be problematic especially if there's a delay on pushing patches from Smilegate to Amazon to address issues.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Harrow posted:

Yeah this is the thing that kinda worries me. I'm probably going to be a pretty casual player and also I want to play more than one class, but I'm getting the feeling from reactions to this that I'll be left behind with nobody to play with if I don't commit to one class and go hard on gearing it up ASAP.

I think this concern is wildly overblown, and I'll elaborate on why I think this is the case.

1) The majority of players starting in NA/EU On 2/8-11 have not played the game yet. Some have on US closed beta, some have played RU/KR, but the majority of players haven't. This to me means that players won't know what they want to main. They are looking at tier lists, doing research, etc. But until you level a character to 50/60, get playing at end game, you won't know if you like it. This means people will be rerolling constantly, at least for 6-12 months in my opinion.

2) This is a game that rewards alts. Do you need alts? No, but the more you have the more gold you can produce weekly. There are fulltime LA players on Korea that have 20+ alts. Every one of those alts needed to be leveled up and played through content. I know people in most MMO's roll up an alt or 2, but in Lost Ark it's not uncommon for the average player like 6 months in to be running 3-5 characters or more to complete dailies. You have 1-2 mains, and the rest are feeding resources into those mains.

3) There's cross server for guardian raid queuing. You can't queue across regions, but if it's set up like RU/KR, you should be able to queue with players on other servers within your region.

4) There are so many players out there planning to take things slower like you are. Not everyone is a tryhard poop socker.

I think by the time the concerns you have about not having people to run the content, you might not even be playing the game any longer.

What they are doing is making it so entry t3 gear is going to be accessible within reason after launch. I think they had a serious concern internally that players would get to end of T1 and feel like there's nothing else to work towards, and stop playing. Then T2 would be released, and the same thing happens. By releasing T3 which is the main progression treadmill all other regions are on, it allows players to work at their pace through the content(which is going to be a metric gently caress ton of horizontal and vertical progression). Having this on release is a very good thing.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Can't alt's be leveled exclusively in your strong hold up to -2 levels below your main?

AFK leveling pretty much.

They still need to be ran through the gear grind which is where I believe a lot of the concern comes in.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

The cross play would likely be within US East, or US West. Any of the servers within those groupings.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

If you pick a server too small the AH might be too small and the finding of good accessories may be rough.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

If you haven't listened to the new Stoopzz and Saintone video I'd highly recommend it. Was vegging out on some Vampire Survivors last night listening to it. The sheer effort Smilegate is putting into this release dwarfs every other region. They know they have one chance, and they are going through so many hoops/ changes to westernize the game for us.

Their general concensus is don't worry about the sheer content of the and alts if it means burning out. Just play at your own pace.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Substandard posted:

I think I might check this out and grab the cheap founder's pack and then. I'm probably going to play one of the shooty classes, but I'm still narrowing down which gunner I want.

I just bought the cheap founder's pack, which I will probably regret later, but I just don't know how grindy it's going to be and I don't think I'm really at the poop sock stage of my life these days.

It's more time gated than grindy at a certain point. You can do only so many progression activities per character each day/week. So it's entirely up to you how grindy you want to make it. Want faster progression? Make an alt. If that's not your thing, stick to one character and progress at a slower rate than if you had an alt or two. It's up to you, find out what works for you.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

my cat is norris posted:

I'm gonna go into this completely blind and will probably mostly play solo. What class do you think would make my time the most fun? I haven't done any research at all. I really want the "brand new game" feeling but I don't want to totally gently caress myself over with a bad class choice.

There are no bad classes(no really). Every spec currently performs relatively closely. The producer talked about it yesterday. There's obviously a class that needs to sit at the top and bottom, but everything is very close. Nothing like elemental shamans vs Unholy DK gigachads doing twice the dps.

Kanon has a good video detailing the general play style of each class and their engravings.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Gun lancers are also gigachad quasi support tanky bros

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Flair posted:

Is there something like https://www.fflogs.com/ but for Lost Ark.

There's some log website as referenced in the Kanon video. But from what I understand it's very limited in the information that players have access to.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 31, 2022

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Ort posted:

Does this game have any challenging dungeon crawls or things you do like that solo? Greater rifts come to mind despite knowing it’s not supposed to be an actual arpg, just an easy example to use.

Abyss dungeons, guardian raids, and legion raids

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Tensokuu posted:

I almost always play paladin in any game it is offered, but I think in Lost Ark I'm just going to go Berserker. Just run around and hit things with my gigantic gently caress-off sword and make things explode into gibs.

Madness berserker is almost certainly in our release. Probably will end up being the second or third character I make tbh.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

interrodactyl posted:

Hello goon friends, is there a good intro video i can watch or a good guide I can read through that explains the basics of this game so that I can learn how to play it? Or do I just mash my DPS rotation and the progression comes naturally?

Are you looking more for an overview of all systems? Or more of how to hit the ground running fresh out of the gate style? I'm assuming overview of all systems?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

You dps as a paladin/ bard for solo content like chaos dungeons.

You will not get into groups as a dps spec on those characters unless you are playing specifically with friends. Full stop. People will inspect your build and you'll be declined over and over again.

Also, if you are support on those classes it's not like you do no damage. You do damage it's just like 60-70% of a dps. Paladins are also tasked with countering enemies as they have 2 counter abilities.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

interrodactyl posted:

Overview of systems, personally. It seems like I can just play the game and level up fine but I'm interested in learning more and how the different classes work.

I've been watching a lot of videos over the past month or so and I feel like this guy does the best job at introducing players to systems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS5HADow_sE He has a whole play list on the right to introduction to Lost Ark systems. This isn't a deep dive into each one to min-max, it's more of this is how this works and allows you to gain enough knowledge to hit the ground running.

This is a good video on class play style: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oIb35347MQ

These two are likely what I'd be following for a more sweaty start to the game to make the most out of game launch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-jAL1ED4To

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rN2Q7Sv5hJLWKpz8R-OEv3A9VOUDzIogzbdzzDCKjNU/edit

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Here's the scoop with Alts, without them you'll fall behind. When you fall behind? I'm not really sure, but likely in T3 at some point. Alts aren't as daunting as one would think. Knowledge transfer will help with the leveling process of Alts. Then the rested system for Guardian raids/ chaos dungeons means that you aren't playing these alts all the time. You can set the alts to have their bifrost at your daily Una tasks. You then set your bind point near the Chaos Dungeons/ Guardian Raids.

The rested works like this if you don't do a chaos dungeon/ guardian raid you gain half a rested bar. If you don't do both for the day, you gain a full bar. 1 full bar gives you DOUBLE rewards the next time you run it. So for each alt, you could skip 2 days, then run your 2 daily dungeons/ raids on the third day for double LOOT. By doing this you lose 33% loot efficiency, you gain 66% in time efficiency. This is what a lot of people do, rather than 'playing' loads of alts. Additionally, if you want to take it a step further, you can pay for guardian carries, which is usually like 200 to be carried, and you make like 500 gold yourself. The carry will kill the boss in like 2 minutes. You generally park alts at certain item levels so they can smash the content below while being still eligible for rewards. Once their main is at a nice spot, then they level alts up to the next milestone so the alts can farm harder content with better rewards.

Alts are just being used to farm resources. Sometimes you might hear a content creator say first main, or second main. Those are characters that are actively played outside of funneling resources.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 2, 2022

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Flair posted:

For the Alts, would we need to create entirely new Steam accounts, or would it be something to do with the in-game menus? If it is the former, I am fine with playing casual and falling behind, but if it is the latter, I am fine with that approach so as long as the means of switching between accounts is seamless.

I believe you can have 6 characters per account.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

The only reason I see(not the only reason I'm sure), to have a second account is double the life skill resource. But even then, you'd get to a point where you'd probably be bringing a character to 50 because of Platinum fields.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Yeah, I'm really thinking people are wildly misunderstanding the use of alts here vs alts in a game like WoW.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Harrow posted:

To make sure I'm understanding: there are daily and weekly tasks that are character-level instead of account-level, but the rewards from those can be shared to other characters on your account. So if you run multiple alts that lets you get daily and weekly rewards more often than if you're running just one character, right?

And it's not like "you need to keep all of these characters completely current and play them all equally," just "you can get more goodies by having some side characters you do dailies/weeklies on before spending most of your time on your main."

Yes. Traditionally in KR/RU the playerbase refers to characters actually played as mains. Main 1, Main 2, etc. Alts are basically characters parked at certain ilevels to obtain rewards to funnel to said mains.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Junkie Disease posted:

So like if I choose a class I end up hating in this f2p game am I like stuck or ...

Not initially. You will know when you've started to invest too much into a character.

There are a load of systems introduced in t3 that you need to heavily work with to improve the power of characters. I don't mean just ilevel. Tripod skills, gems, engravings, etc. You can't just stumble into optimizing these for a character. If you don't like the character I would guess you'd very likely know well before you invest all of those into a character.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

The rumor floating around is each server can hold about 36k users. They have said they can spin up more servers too.

Also if you aren't an early access player, there is the possibility that come Friday the server you want to play on might be locked for new character creation.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Suprfli6 posted:

I saw 200k server capacity somewhere but nothing confirmed directly from AGS/SG.

Wasn't NA beta all on one single beta server? They had ~80k concurrent players.

East had two servers for sure

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Im honestly not too worried. New world servers held 2k. These servers hold 36k-200k depending on who you ask
Not to mention servers have channels to divvy up the player base.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Taima posted:

The skins are indeed one time use.

$15 for the bronze one is a good deal since playing early is kinda the best thing in the packs imo.

$50 for the gold one is good if you want paid currency because you get $40 of currency, meaning 80% of the price of the pack is already refunded before you get into the other poo poo.

Platinum refunds 70% of the price in premium currency but gives you a mount (that I think looks bad, personally) and a train for your base... and the platinum skin but only for one character, along with some good ancillary stuff like affinity bonuses, gold, etc.

I do find it pretty funny that they literally give you a train for buying the platinum pack, a little on the nose if you ask me but good times.

It really just depends. If you just want to play early the bronze is good, if you want a good return on premium currency the gold is good, and if you want all the special cosmetics (and some other bonuses) get the platinum.

Or just buy all the packs, because nearly everything stacks.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Figure out your alts NOW. The game is throwing Power passes/ knowledge transfers at us. You could easily have 4-5 alts ready to rock within a week.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

I don't know the game very well but I already see people calling the game dead on arrival because they made the grind too easy so now CASUALS!!! can get to end game content. Won't anyone think of the poor poopsocking grinders

They are ignoring the fact that people actually need to fight end-game bosses and win. Which ummm I don't see happening for a lot of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Gamers are a fickle bunch.