Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Been waiting on this for months! Probably gonna go with Deathblade as my main since that's what clicked in the last set of betas, but maybe one of my alts will impress. Certainly a lot of classes I never got to try, even having started back in the alpha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Fate Accomplice posted:

I have no idea what any of that means.

Tyberius posted:

Haven't read the news yet but using terms T1 and T3. It sounds like they are going to start off the western launch of Lost Ark at a later patch that the original launch?

That sounds good, but hopefully they don't run out of content or accelerate too quickly. I've seen that kill gacha games in the past.

Since I plan to play only casually I'll help with the west coast guild, but it sounds like most will be playing on east coast server.

The post-leveling content needs you to be at a certain gear score to challenge, which is divided into Tiers 1, 2, and 3. Tier 1 is pretty easy to achieve, but the higher tiers require a lot more effort to reach. Initially we thought things would be relatively chill at launch since you could only advance so far, but now this heavily encourages locking in a favored main class early and fully having the grind treadmill from the word go on a series of supporting alternate classes in reaching the higher level content faster. The alternative is potentially getting left behind when other players blitz content, leaving the earlier tiers with fewer people participating in Tier 1/2 content.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 27, 2022

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

It's not the end of the world to end up on a server with a nonoptimal population count, but there's a couple of things that go wonky:

-Open World content is server based, so fighting world bosses for Adventure Tome completion becomes annoying as they're either never fought or immediately vaporized whenever they show up. Also in this category is something involving Islands, but I'm not quite sure on the details.
- Some of the Life Skills are competitive in nature, and I think one of them is cooperative, so it can mess with your gathering efficiency as zones are stripmined or you can't get a logging buddy.
- Guild stuff, including Guild v. Guild is server based so that can end up being a mess depending on who you're stuck with.
- Premade PvP arenas are server dependent, which is why there are servers chosen as the PvP zone. But most PvP modes aren't server dependent.

Especially if you're more into PvE, most of the stuff you actually care about is cross-server and thus doesn't really matter where you end up.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Feb 6, 2022

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

The later you get into content, the more gear is going to matter to supplement default skill setups. Engravings are necessary to specialize your class identity, and endgame builds don't really come into their own without them. Gems (which affect the cooldowns/damage of specific skills) and armor-conditional tripod boosters will let you get the most out of specific skills, but mean that switching away from them loses out on those bonuses. But those don't really come into play until Tier 2 minimum for Gems and Tier 3 for tripod boosters, and honestly you're gonna replace the gems anyway.

So up until you start dealing with Engravings, it's literally as easy as clicking a button. Then it starts getting progressively more gear dependent but still reasonable, until you hit Tier 3, at which point reskilling is a major pain in the rear.

But also you don't even start dealing with that stuff until you hit the first tier of endgame content, at which point you've stopped actively leveling, so switching from leveling to that is basically effortless.

EDIT: Okay, I guess there's caveats on needing to bounce back and forth between your Chaos Dungeon build and a raid build, especially if you're a support main, but I would need more advice on that from people who have played Bard/Paladin on whether they find it ruinous to do Chaos Dungeons with their raiding gear.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 7, 2022

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Vykas Hard Gate 1 was a pain in the rear for my group, but it was mostly just because things just didn't click on the mechanics until the one successful run where they arbitrarily did. The only thing that's really different is even less tolerance for failure and the Velganos pizza mechanic randomly showing up. If your group has the mechanics down tight, shouldn't be a problem.

Group's looking forward to doing Gate 2 tonight, we had to stop cause it took us so long for Gate 1, but we messed around for 1 attempt and it definitely seemed more forgiving.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jul 2, 2022

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Couldn't beat Vykas G2 on Hard and just settled for a Normal clear. :negative:

I think this is the point where not being super good at the game/having optimal accessories is starting to weigh down on me. The G2 Hard Mode felt like it was really tight on damage and that plus getting smacked around for tens of thousands of damage meant I was weighing most teams down. Feels like I could eventually get there, but not for a long time. This first week i'll just take getting to see the full fight for G2 and G3.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 4, 2022

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Was able to make it back to a Vykas group and was able to clear G3 Normal, though honestly if we weren't all super-tired and reset was coming up we could probably have done Hard. DPS threshold was much less tight and it really was all just about learning the mechs.

Looking forward to trying again this week and not having it take the whole week to clear!

EDIT: That danged line from Wei about overcoming Vykas' desire is going to be stuck in my head though.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jul 6, 2022

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

My experience (as a person who did technically clear Gate 1 Hard last week but kept tripping up on it this week and had to drop down to Normal) is that slowly but surely, the people who can't do Hard are filtering down to Normal where due to the overgearing as long as at least the majority of the people know how to clear the gate, it's much, much easier and takes a fraction of the time. So in theory, eventually most people will just land where their skillset says they should be and everybody ends up happy (or at least content) with sub 2-hour clears of all the gates.

In practice, the free rider problem is going to make this always suck, unless you have a perfectly curated static.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Depends on your region.

EU: Thirain
NA/E: Una
NA/W: Mari

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

1460 Deathblade, 1370 Artillerist, 1370 Scrapper, 1355 Bard, 1350 Gunlancer. The pass/express that's coming out is unironically perfect for someone like me who just needs one more 1370 to finish off my alt-roster for gold maximization. I had some RL troubles that stopped me from playing for a month, so I might've gotten at least one of the alts up to Valtan by this point if i'd had the time, though.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Shadowhunter here. I just can't pass up on being a maximum level edgelord and I already have a Deathblade.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

The common denominator on the Legendary Selector Pack is "as much gold as it takes before everyone but the richest person in the party goes broke." Which for most groups I saw/heard of is around 10-11k or so.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

RoboCicero posted:

God, I think I hosed myself with my 4x3 setup such that there's no easy way to transition to 5x3 without completely swapping out every piece of my equipment and getting legendary engraving books. Only need to save up something like 400k gold to do so :shepicide:

Yeah, that was pretty much my situation too, and I'm just only now starting to come out the other side. The good news is that gear can be cheaper than you think if you're willing to accept low quality/browse the auction house for deals and the gold comes at a decent clip with a comprehensive enough roster. Nothing can really save you from books though. I'll be rooting for you!

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Just got my main to 5x3 last night. 1475 and with a full relic set, so i'm ready for Kakul-Saydon, though I could stand to overgear a bit to not get immediately destroyed by clown.

Now begins the process of trying to drag all my alts up to 1415/1430. Even with the honing boosts, it's still a lot of gold/mats.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

It's showtime, folks!

https://www.playlostark.com/en-us/news/articles/rage-with-the-machinist-release-notes

TLDR Summary posted:

-Kakul-Saydon Legion Raid is out, including the early 1385 Rehearsal, and the Training for minigames in Trixion, in addition to the main 1475 raid.
- Scouter Machinist is out.
-1302 Power Pass, contingent on having beaten Punika, is given, expires October 26.
-"We're Not Calling It An Express Event" Express Event to get a character to 1415.
- A couple more things including a clown pet are being added to the event guardian shop. Not one to one with the Maharaka shop going away though, so be careful.
-The boost that gets people up through the early stages of the game has been permanently upped to 1415.
-Thronespire rewards of legendary books and gems need 1445 and 1460 to open.
- 6 more buyable character slots, shop stuff like the new round of skins being added.
-AFK kick vote gone.
-They're changing Fever Time to be more of a thing.
-Server merges are happening, RIP Europe and South America on their maintenance.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 27, 2022

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Cinara posted:

Really sad we're not getting the balance update from KR, my poor artillerist is in such an awkward spot.

Rest of the patch is awesome though!

I'm just building my Artillerist alt up to 4x3 in Relic accessories based on the one Crit/Swift Firepower Enhancement guy in Korea that decided he didn't want to switch.

My Arti's going to need a massive overhaul by the time we get to Ancient gear, but then again all my characters will, and it's not for at least another 4 months or so anyway.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Went with the Goon Static to clown and we managed to clear Gate 1.

I can see why people were saying you need to be dressed to the nines for gear. It's a tough fight on ilevel, mostly because not doing a ton of damage gives time for something to go wrong during normal patterns and the last two minutes of the fight get very tight. None of us had literally perfect gear and were still in the late 1400s, but we also needed a feast and to be constantly popping Nineveh in order to clear before he went berserk.

Was also a ton of fun! Definitely felt more enjoyable week one than dealing with Vykas' flunky was. We also got to try Gate 2, which sort of has the same problem: not finishing the fight fast gives more time for you to be blown off the map by an errant bomb or getting messed over by a perspective swap. The hope is if we come back in tonight with as many buffs as possible we can get to the end, but Gate 3 likely remains out of reach for this week.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

A little bit less triumphant here, my groups only managed to clear G1, although we were one Sidereal and 10 seconds away from a G2 clear. Still, with commentaries on the difficulty spike, I was worried I wouldn't even be able to clear G1 at all, and getting so close encourages me to come back and put in a good effort next week.

Things to Think About - G2 Clown Edition

- I was surprised at, how for a fight that's billed as being much more mechanic heavy than previous ones, the thing that felt like the biggest issue for both G1 and G2 was the damage race. Yes, the mechanics will screw you over, but a lot of the time that honor felt like it really belonged to the normal patterns or running out of time at the end.

- Maze is laughably easy if someone's screen-sharing, and despite that commentary on time, is probably a good place to chill and build Sidereal meter.

- Funnily enough, by the end of the run, we were of the opinion that the Sidereal of choice here is nearly always Wei rather than Inanna and Nineveh. Inanna doesn't really help enough either generally or during the Velganos mech and can kind of be a distraction in an already visual-heavy fight, and Nineveh arguably deals less damage than getting a stagger bar depleted and having your party go full burst on Kakul.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Oct 4, 2022

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

I still have fun, I just like to complain, the most-MMO (and especially KRMMO) experience.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

I dunno, I think for better or for worse most people have gotten used to the idea that the communication from on high in Global is awful. If you're still here, you're here for the game itself and don't really expect anything from the development team.

Which is my standard experience with these sort of games, but is a real shame considering that especially in Korea they built a lot of their reputation off of having fantastic interaction with the player base.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

At that level, most of the game's systems aren't really relevant/available yet. Just keep focusing on the questing until level 50 or so, at which point, once you get to North Vern, things will open up a bit.

In terms of a "just starting out" guide for those systems, Maxroll's stuff is still probably the most relevant/easily readable. Specifically their guides which try to tell you what you will immediately need to do next after reaching that point for continued vertical progression.

https://maxroll.gg/lost-ark/resources/post-50-guide
https://maxroll.gg/lost-ark/resources/road-to-rohendel

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Lorem ipsum posted:

I'm surprised at how long the queue times are even for like Argos raids on the weekend. I know its not super endgame but I'm still surprised it takes like 30 minutes for the queue to pop.

When you say queues, do you mean matchmaking queue? If so, that's probably because most people use the party finder instead for anything above Abyssals (Argos, Legion raids). It's not instantaneous, especially if there's a support shortage at that time of day, but should definitely be faster/easier to coordinate than just jumping into the normal waiting room.

No one tells you this because it's not really an intentional feature of the system, just how things naturally evolve because people don't expect good things out of the random queue.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

No, unfortunately most of that is exactly the case in Korea too. It gets better, if that helps. The story starts getting more tolerable once you leave Luterra, for instance. But the leveling section is really more just an artifact of the game as it started which can't be removed without derailing the whole thing/exists to ensure you get collectibles from finishing some of the sidequests. The gameplay gets better once you get to at least North Vern, and then again once you reach the final tier of the endgame, which is the longest and most sustained part of the content. But even Smilegate acknowledges that the leveling process is terrible and even in Korea they frequently offer tickets to just boost you to at least the start of the endgame as quickly as possible.

EDIT: I think we might have technically had an objectively easier start experience than Korea did and now even moreso, but even with no bonuses at all, if you only use the stuff that drops off the ground, anything that isn't that one temple dungeon in Yudia or a gimmick dungeon is nevertheless a joke for the entirety of the baseline leveling process.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 26, 2022

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Huh, thought it would be announced here already, but...

https://twitter.com/playlostark/status/1599856432790310927?cxt=HHwWnsC4geC86rMsAAAA

Basically confirmed that the full December update is next week, including the new Cube/Boss Rush difficulties, the 1490 Chaos Dungeon, Caliligos, Summoner release, a new pack of skins, Bracelets, upper relic tier stuff, and Brel's Big Bad Ballbuster of a Legion Raid.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Dec 7, 2022

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Goon group on East just cleared G1-2 of Brel tonight and it was super fun. Gate 1 is pretty much just there for you to flatten for mats as long as you understand the mechs, but Prokel is the first real roadblock and it took us a bit to nail down everything. G3-4 might be just slightly out of reach for us as a united group due to scheduling conflicts (Unless there's a lucky hone early in the morning or something), but is definitely within reach for even the lowest ilevel of us by next week.

I personally got lucky enough with honing that depending on my personal clears I might be able to make a shot for G5-6 next week, but I definitely feel like even without getting to the end of the raid i'll be making solid progress.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

jokes posted:

Feeling like casually playing lost Ark but I have no idea what I’m doing. I banked up a good chunk of gold from selling T1 materials at launch and can just buy story skips but my highest ilvl is like 400.

So, what should I do? Chaos dungeons? Islands? Raids? I’m very confused by how much poo poo there is to do, but there’s not a great road map in the game for what I should be doing.

E: assume I just finished the lowest level knowledge transfer on a new character.

https://maxroll.gg/lost-ark/resources/post-50-guide
https://maxroll.gg/lost-ark/resources/road-to-rohendel

These are the general and more specific guides for how to get to the highest level of vertical progression as quickly as possible, which sort of also serves as an introduction to the horizontal content.

Off the cuff:

Generally speaking the most important thing to do is your Chaos Dungeons and Una Tasks (daily missions). Depending on how many of the good islands you have left untapped, those are next. The problem with Guardian Raids is that nobody really does the low level ones any more and they're a pain to solo with early gear unless you're very good at Monster Hunter-esque combat. But you should still be able to find the occasional high level who just bursts past weekly Abyssal Dungeons if you wait in the queue, which will help out with some early gold which you can either save up (which is more recommended) or use to buy mats to burst you past the early content.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Having not played for a long time, but still in advance of where you are...

The orange wings are all for an Aura which makes your life more convenient, but I wouldn't recommend using until you get to higher levels, try to find a storage bin/bank to contain them in. The coins/cardpacks/boxes with animals/clothes are worth using right away as they either grant permanent resources that don't take up space or cosmetics. The other stuff/boxes mostly should be saved for higher levels.

The Adventurer's Tome is mostly for collectible completionism and doesn't really matter where you are, unless you want to 100% things as you go along, it's more efficient to come back later. Instead, just look to the right of your screen on the actual game where the orange text is and that's your current main quest. You pretty much want to follow that without doing anything else until several continents from now at which point the game opens up a little. You might have to do a Yellow quest or two if it vanishes just to get the levels to get back on-track, but I think they smoothed out the experience so that's no longer necessary.

Good luck!

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

You really shouldn't be bothering with consumables until you get to Guardian Raids (monster hunter-esque dailies) at minimum. Maybe some health pots if you're really struggling. The later you can save them for Abyss Dungeons or Legion Raids, the better. At that point, you need them specifically based on whatever it is that you're fighting as opposed to picking them based on the kit you have.

The only reason not to pop Pheons/Plumes/Money immediately is because you might be tempted to use them early, and you really should save them except when you absolutely have to until late-ish in tier 3. Especially the case for Pheons. Less so the case for plumes which drop in usefulness the closer you get to endgame content, although you could always die in something that does use them and lament their absence.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Even as someone who liked the process, the increasing toxicity of pick up groups, especially for low level Legion Raids just to bring up alt characters was becoming insane. Maybe sticking with one character would have saved me in the short term, but most of the groups I knew were starting to flame out around Brelshaza anyway and I would have been left in the same position even on my main. And now, even if I wanted to come back, my 1519-ish Deathblade is too low for high level groups, but too high to join a committed friend group.