Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Actually looking at classes the Soulfist feels like the reincarnation of Captain Marvel from Marvel Heroes, so I guess I'll make everyone sad by continually whiffing spirit bombs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Hellioning posted:

From what I've heard, DPS Paladins and Bards can do enough damage to clear content, but they'll do less damage than a proper DPS class and everyone would prefer if they ran support.

That's also what I'd heard - they can spec dps well enough to do whatever dailies and questing they need but they're not going to really be a primary or secondary choice for a dps slot.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
My understanding is that while alts are helpful for funneling materials to your main for upgrades, you can probably just have one or two just doing stronghold missions for you and leave it at that if you don't want to be more involved in it.

All indications right now is that the dev is currently planning on doing a bunch of side activities and content for horizontal progression in the coming months and not more vertical power progression, so getting your upgrades more slowly is still going to get you where you need to go.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Worst case you just convert that character to an alt to do stronghold missions or the odd daily to get mats for something you do like.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Bardeh posted:

I'm looking at Deadeye, but am reading it's one of the most (if not the most) complex classes to play. How complex are we talking here? If I can deal decently well with a max level FFXIV rotation (BLM was what I played there), will this prove much of an issue?

I hear gunslinger/deadeye compared to ffxiv jobs in terms of rotation/cooldown needs so TBH you're probably fine, they're just skill/CD heavy by LA standards.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Unlucky7 posted:

I tried out Gunslinger and played through the prologue. While it seems pretty cool and I certainly respect it, I do not think I have the dexterity required for stance dancing amongst other things. I think I may go with one of the warrior classes. I know having alts is a big thing though, so should I leave the character be instead of deleting? I am not entirely sure I will come back to her.

Also, the walk cycle Gunslinger had...uh...kinda sucks the tension out of cutscenes.

While folks do have alts, part of that is contingent on actually enjoying spending time running content on them. I wouldn't feel beholden to a character with that little playtime.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Tugboat Willy posted:

Is the best way to level just doing the main quest line? I played a bit yesterday after work and I picked up every quest but it felt so slow.

My understanding is they balanced it where you can purely do main quests and be 50 at the end, so if you're fine coming back later to do side quests and collections and such, go for it

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The VA is just generic B tier video game voice acting, nothing remarkable or awful

Apparently the Korea VO pack right now is bugged and doesn't play combat audio so maybe wait a few days

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I did the three dungeons in the first region/continent on Hard solo and didn't have many issues, just needed a few potions. The last boss of the final one had 20k HP so it took about 90 seconds or so.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Virigoth posted:

gently caress those seagulls.

At least you can access the settings menu and mute ambient noise while in queue

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Brass posted:

Has anyone else messed around with the controller bindings? I bound top row skills to LT and bottom row to RT and that feels decent, but I'm thinking there has got to be a better way that makes me feel less dyslexic. Maybe binding the two lowest cd skills to Y & B? There are a lot of options. Thoughts?

I don't have a good answer but I didn't realize you could rebind the bottom row skills to the RT so maybe my ffxiv controller using rear end can make a proper attempt at it after all. So thanks!

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

gandlethorpe posted:

Other than the deadeye (which I'm maining) and its female version, are there any classes whose signature mechanics don't have you charging up a bar?

Soulfist has a three tier buff stance that is either available/active or on cooldown. Scrapper basically has two resource gauges that they alternatively spend instead of Mana. Those are the two I'm aware offhand outside of the cowboy siblings.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
If the gender locking thing feels weird it makes sense to think of it like diablo 2 or marvel heroes, where they weren't classes but effectively specific people.

Like yes the latter had some skins that did the gender flip to pay homage to the comics or whatever but you were actually playing as Hulk or Captain Marvel or Iron Man and not "energy punch fighter" or "missile and laser launcher".

Just here they let you play pretty princess dress-up as well

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

sharknado slashfic posted:

e: using the korean audio and boss sounds seem to be missing

I think there was a glitch where telling steam to download the Korean pack launches the game before it fully downloads, just quit out and try to install it again.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I realise this is dreadfully nerdy but putting the voice acting on Korean makes the whole thing less cringe

I did the same thing. If I'm gonna be getting bits of VA from unskippable cutscenes or while riding around, might as well be good VA.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
There's streamers and youtubers who run the exact same class on alts, just play what you want

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

The Locator posted:

Ah, okay. Thanks that helps my understanding a lot. Yeah I've gotten I think 7 so far, 2 are duplicates though, and none show up on the card/deck tab.

The other source of confusion I've seen in this regard is the first time you pick up a card the game is going to give you a "equip cards" task in the newbie journal, which you probably can't do since in all likelihood the first card you get isn't actually equippable.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I run 1440p naturally and just swapped to force 21:9 around 20 levels ago and it works fine. I don't even notice the letterboxing at this point.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Russian Remoulade posted:

Deleting bosses with the Soul Fist's spirit bomb is pure joy; in a few guides it gets referenced as the hardest hitting ability in the game but I don't know how currently accurate that is.

If you miss it you will feel like uninstalling tho.

From watching class guides and info prior to launch it sounds like the spirit bomb is still the hardest hitting skill in the game especially on a crit - it can apparently crit for over 200m damage in Korean endgame content.

But yeah, the class is definitely feast or famine.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

jokes posted:

I’m taking my time and I’m at like ilvl 340 or so and I feel like I am severely behind.

I’m not going to do anything about that because I’m having a lot of fun just lazily doing story quests and doing fun dungeons (holy poo poo I love chaos dungeons) and raids and islands and junk.

If the first raids are anything to go by I think I should play Bard

I'm not even done Annika yet! This is a side MMO, not a job.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Bleak Edge is a really cool dungeon and probably my new favorite. Nothing mechanically unique but really fantastic ambiance and a really cool last boss.

This game has some really cool setpieces.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

S.J. posted:

Is pistoleer deadeye trash or what

Unless it got buffed for the western release it's basically a meme build as I understand it

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

gandlethorpe posted:

Just hit level 50 shortly into the Arthetine quest. Does anything cool unlock at this point that isn't story gated? What's this about a regular skill that's only unlockable at level 50 that doesn't show up in my K menu? It was there when I go to the training area with the angel chick.

Also, how is level 50 the max but also not?

You may want to put Arthetine on hold and go to North Vern, it's going to very quickly put you onto track to get your first awakening skill and gear you up to i250, which will let you do a chaos dungeon and basically immediately jump to 302 to do guardian raids and hone gear. I was working on Vern today, hit 250 from quest rewards, then ran a chaos dungeon and immediately replaced my entire gearset.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The 302 chaos dungeon outfit for Soulfist is pretty cute

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
There's a "training area" option that unlocks later on that covers gems, engravings, faceting and honing that also gives a cosmetic headpiece for completing, so that's probably worth reviewing.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I had to laugh today doing a daily guardian raid on my i400 bard. Realized that I had forgotten to swap to my raid support skill loadout and braced for a clunky and tough time.

Turns out we had gotten matchmade with a i1300 something gunlancer who must have just wanted to finish the weekly because he did 95% of the damage and the boss was dead in 1:47 - including running from spawn.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Definitely check the market for the adventure tome collectables (especially the lower level bot accessible regions), you can get some good deals. I got the purple enemy drop collectables from rethramis and yuria last night for 5g combined.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Or you could play the game that has fun gameplay and not try to credit card speedrun to endgame and then drop it when a new major release comes out to keep the twitch crowd happy, but whatever works I guess

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
If folks aren't bringing flares or dying constantly that's a them problem, not a you problem. Supports are absolutely valuable in group content and can cover a lot of gaps but unlike a lot of games they can't drag groups across the finish line entirely by themselves (assuming you're not massively overgeared).

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Basically if you aren't trying to carry your guardian raid groups with a full dps spec then you're not the problem.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Lost Ark being a mix of soap opera Serious Demon Story and completely random material is a big part of the charm

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The issue I ran into with the grand prix yesterday was I had to swap back to the character I did the original "yes I will grand prix" conversation with 90m before, since my character in another city went over and there were no NPCs or anything at the marked location there.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
My bifrosts and home points are a mix of continents and islands where I have Una tasks or rapports lined up. So my Soulfist has home in Luterra (for easy access to the entire starter continent), Totoryk, Anikka and Lullaby Island, and my bard has home in Vern and bifrosts in Shushire and Toto Silver island (and soon Rohendel when I stop being lazy).

Don't overlook the value of ocean liners for getting around either between major points of call, with aura it's basically the same cost as a bifrost use.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Should be fine, just if you actually care about plot spoilers for Arthetine or Shushire, run those before you use a powerpass.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
https://forums.playlostark.com/t/downtime-hotfix-march-15-at-12-am-pt-7-am-utc-8-am-cet/264460

Hotfix in a few hours, fixes a few bugs, addresses the daylights savings issue (if your computer is set for it), removes ilevel restrictions for grand prix exchanges.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

explosivo posted:

Is there a reason why I shouldn't just save skill upgrades from gear that I want in the Skill Inventory and apply to everything? I know the gear transfer can fail but saving something to the inventory and applying it to gear seems to be free and guaranteed and the skill doesn't leave the inventory when I apply it to something else which I totally didn't expect.

My understanding is that's exactly the intended use of the skill inventory. It lets you template the skills for your build after you go through the hassle of organizing them how you want in the first place.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

You can always just dispatch a guardian too. I have no idea the difference in rewards but if you really didn’t want to do it in the first place….

It feels like you get less rewards (and right now you don't get grand prix coins IIRC), but if the choice is between burnout on the game or doing a dispatch to avoid letting rest bonus overcap it really doesn't seem like a choice. Granted my guardian dispatches are coming back at B or A rank.

I like guardian raids but they're definitely the t1 content I'm happiest to let slide (on my Soulfist anyway) since it's such a crapshoot. Bard I'm more predisposed towards because I just plink away on my harp and don't have to worry about whiffing my spirit bomb or something.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Legendary Card selection chests, hell yeah

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

JuffoWup posted:

Patch live, alarm timer still broke. Events are triggering on their intended times however. For example, grand prix is back to even hour now. But alarms are triggering as if odd hours.

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Also keep in mind even if you are i460 and can clear the T1 ghost ship, you have to have cleared Rohendel before the daily becomes unlocked. That caught me last week.