Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

After a few days of thinking about it, I think it would have worked better if the two killers were two queer woman super fans. So the girl twin and the same other female killer. A much more interesting meta commentary than just one and one that was an angry fan that groomed the teen girl killer.

as it stands, my ranking goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i don't think i would like that unless you radically change some stuff. I like Mindy, Lesbian Randy is the ultimate form of the Randy-Types. We already had a Killer-Randy and they were lamer than og Randy, meanwhile Lesbian Randy is already better than both and has the potential to outlast og Randy and become the most succesful Randy of all time.

Also it would kinda undercut Sam's thing of like, having the OG BILLY SERIAL KILLER GENEs, if she isn't killing a rip off billy. you could, like how amber is basically the stu, have a woman in the billy role but on a face of it that does sound a bit less interesting than amber's thing to me and again at that point its kinda a whole different playing field.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
I've been seeing The Matrix brought up a lot with Scream lately, which are two movies I never really associated with each other aside from being contemporaries, but it does make sense.

"« Kevin Williamson and Wes Craven's Scream cycle, in terms of its influence on modern film, constitutes the most important metatext of the last 25 years in that it's not only self-referential, it's curious about how self-reference can be an essential ontological tool as opposed to a mere existential exercise. They're better movies, in this respect, than The Matrix and its sequels, and, at least in terms of their popularity, they're more important than even Charlie Kaufman's extraordinary but limited-appeal body of work. The Scream saga, for lack of a better word, matters."
https://www.filmfreakcentral.net/ffc/2022/01/scream-2022.html

Btw, that's Walter Chaw, who 11 years ago gave Scream 4 possibly its most scathing review (Chaw basically took it as old man Wes Craven mean-spiritedly ranting about "kids these days"). But going by both the above review and a recent retrospective he's written about the series it seems Chaw has since come around on Scream 4 considerably.
https://decider.com/2022/01/11/scream-franchise-walter-chaw/

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I’m glad they did away with the ghostface app and the voice mimicking gizmo and went back to a plain white box style novelty voice changer. You can actually find the same one they used for about $20 on eBay.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

I called it that they were basing this one off the Star Wars sequels, with Sam/Dewey/Sidney/Gale being Rey/Han/Luke/Leia. I was almost convinced that somehow, against all odds, Billy Loomis himself was the killer, though I had a hard time seeing even Scream pulling that one off.

Speaking of Star Wars, I forgot Carrie Fisher was in Scream 3 lol.

Plus there’s Stab 8, directed by Rian Johnson, which gets the ‘not my stab’ treatment

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
recently rewatched scream 1 and love how much shitheads the teens are

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

anyone else notice the box of Rose McGowans ashes in Dewey's trailer?

what was the Dawson's creek reference I missed?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

LionArcher posted:

After a few days of thinking about it, I think it would have worked better if the two killers were two queer woman super fans. So the girl twin and the same other female killer. A much more interesting meta commentary than just one and one that was an angry fan that groomed the teen girl killer.

as it stands, my ranking goes.

Issue is that Ghostface literally overpowers multiple dudes which creates problems.

Darko fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 21, 2022

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I went to see the new Scream for a second time last night and I’m convinced it doesn’t work without a third killer and here’s why….

-The first Attack on Tera would have to be Amber as Richie later states he was with Sam that night, however ghostface uses a video call of Amber at her house to bait Tera into going outside where Ghostface is waiting, yes this could be a pre-recorded video but sending it as a convincing video call wouldn’t necessarily be easy.

-The Ghostface that kills Dewey definitely isn’t Richie as he’s in the hospital at the time, however this Ghostface manages to grapple With Dewey and holds its own as much as Dewey is injured I still can’t see Amber beating him.

-When Ghostface attacks Mindy on the couch he comes from the doorway, Amber is upstairs with Tera and Richie has gone to the basement and reappears very quickly after Ghostface has left.

It’s possible the third may be Liv I say this because she doesn’t come to the hospital when they find out Tera is awake (possibly to retrieve the costume for the attack on Sam)

It’s her phone that is used to lead her boyfriend outside to be attacked yes there has been talk of phone cloning previously but that was Ambers phone and as she is a confirmed Killer her phone wouldn’t need cloning.

When she returns to the house after arguing with Mindy she has blood on her hands but makes no reference to it being her boyfriends blood until she is challenged (and then shot which I think is Ambers way of saying you hosed up)

This still doesn’t solve how Ghostface was able to match Dewey physically although Liv is bigger than Amber so it is more believable.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Gaz2k21 posted:

This still doesn’t solve how Ghostface was able to match Dewey physically although Liv is bigger than Amber so it is more believable.

i think this is fun to speculate about but amber said she was the one to do in dewey. i feel like one of the reasons they brought back the limp wasn't just for fan service but to make it more believable he got taken out by amber, but on top of that he is old... I dunno it doesn't seem outside the realm of possibility to me.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Snooze Cruise posted:

i think this is fun to speculate about but amber said she was the one to do in dewey. i feel like one of the reasons they brought back the limp wasn't just for fan service but to make it more believable he got taken out by amber, but on top of that he is old... I dunno it doesn't seem outside the realm of possibility to me.

she did say that yes but she’s also an antagonist and seems to be orchestrating the thing so may have somehow witnessed Deweys death….

You’re right though it’s fun to speculate….I was annoying the hell out of my partner on the way home

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I think it's as believable as a movie like this has to be. From what I can remember most of the successful kills were Ghostface catching people off guard (Vince, Wes, Judy) and I buy the Dewey kill because he's an old, disabled drunk.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

LesterGroans posted:

I think it's as believable as a movie like this has to be. From what I can remember most of the successful kills were Ghostface catching people off guard (Vince, Wes, Judy) and I buy the Dewey kill because he's an old, disabled drunk.

There are multiple points where Ghostface is physically overpowering people (which didn't really happen in earlier movies) and I THINK this happened with Dewey I only saw it once at the movies, so not sure, but it really threw off my prediction because the whole time I was saying this has to be a larger dude and can't be a woman because of it.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

This problem was worse in 4 when the two killers were the most bodyslam-able actors in the film

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
In the new one, how did the girl killer not have any injuries later on after being shot so many times by Dewey? If they explained it, I must've missed it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Almost Blue posted:

In the new one, how did the girl killer not have any injuries later on after being shot so many times by Dewey? If they explained it, I must've missed it.

Bullet proof vest

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
With how grizzled Dewey is presented in 5 I expected them to have him take off his shirt at one point to show what a scarred up mess his torso must be.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
The brawl made me remember that David Arquette has, for some reason, decided to become a wrestler

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
5cream spoiler question: Who was all masked up in the ambulance at the end? Was it the male twin?

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Coffee And Pie posted:

The brawl made me remember that David Arquette has, for some reason, decided to become a wrestler

He’s a lifelong wrestling fan and held the WCW title for a while as part of an angle to promote the movie Ready to Rumble.
He recently did a stint on the indies including a match with Nick Gage (I’m not a fan of his but he’s well thought of in hardcore wrestling circles)
The documentary about it all is quite fun.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

The_Doctor posted:

5cream spoiler question: Who was all masked up in the ambulance at the end? Was it the male twin?

Yeah

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Gaz2k21 posted:

The documentary about it all is quite fun.

:agreed:. Also surprisingly emotional

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Jerkface posted:

I think the movie you're thinking of is "Scary Movie", OP

I wonder if there’s an in-world equivalent to Scary Movie in the Scream universe.

Stabby Movie

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

It's funny to think about the Stab movies, because from what we see of the first one it isn't a "based on Ed Gein" Psycho/TCM style film. So it's like someone made In Cold Blood or Columbine into a Friday the 13th style franchise.

I bet the Reddit board where Richie and Amber met is full of threads arguing about the ethics of Stab in general.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

they specifically said it was dreddit

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Shrecknet posted:

When I reviewed Cabin in the Woods, I called it the Omega to Scream's Alpha, the gauntlet thrown down asking the immortal question "I'm running this monkey farm now Frankenstein, and I wanna know what the gently caress you're doing with my time!" and demanding an answer.

Well, here's your answer.

I never thought of Scream and Cabin in the Woods as being in competition, more like two sides of the same coin. Cabin in the Woods is about people realizing they've stumbled into a horror movie, Scream is about people trying to treat real life as though it were a horror movie.

The real twist at the end of Scream is that they are not in a horror movie (well, they are, but you know what I mean, I hope). The rules are meaningless. "Ghostface" isn't real. Life is not a movie. Scream and Cabin in the Woods are doing related but distinct things.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

LesterGroans posted:

It's funny to think about the Stab movies, because from what we see of the first one it isn't a "based on Ed Gein" Psycho/TCM style film. So it's like someone made In Cold Blood or Columbine into a Friday the 13th style franchise.

I bet the Reddit board where Richie and Amber met is full of threads arguing about the ethics of Stab in general.

I think Scream 5 finally hits the limit to how well "Stab" can stand-in for Scream within itself. This one tries to treat Scream the way Scream treated Halloween etc, except when the killer quizzes a victim about Stab and the answer is Heather Graham, it doesn't really land because Stab is not Scream and Heather Graham is not Drew Barrymore. Likewise, the scene where they're watching Stab at the party loses a lot of the punch that a movie where they're watching Scream would've had.

It makes me wonder if they could've ever pulled off a Scream 2 using Scream itself instead of Stab (as in, in the movie Wes Craven just happened to get the events just right and Neve Campbell just happens to look exactly like Sidney, et al). It probably just would've been confusing and annoying for most people, but there's a very perceptible difference in tone between Scream and all its sequels informed by the fact that the latter all take place in an odd mirror universe.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

There's this stealth subplot in the first Scream that I've never been able to determine where it lies on the spectrum between "unintended" and merely "underdeveloped."

There's no way the ghostface in the high school restroom, the one lurking in the bushes, and the one stalking the aisles of a grocery store are Billy or Stu, they have to be imposters. I simply do not believe Billy is following Sidney around in costume at a loving supermarket.

The movie obviously wants you to believe these appearances are all the real killer, and the only evidence I can point to that suggests the imposter angle might be intended is that the restroom scene was altered from the script in ways that make it more ambiguous (you hear the person's voice and it sounds nothing like any of the characters, the reporter talking about pranksters immediately follows this scene).

I'm "death of the author" as gently caress so in the end it doesn't matter to me whether it was intended, but I have a hard time shaking how the prankster angle doesn't just fix plot holes but improves the movie extraordinarily by elegantly tying together its threads of "neglectful baby boomers are raising a generation of sociopaths" and "this killer isn't just a person but a mentality of cynicism that can spread among the disaffected" that makes it hard for me to believe it's all a coincidence.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I think Scream 5 finally hits the limit to how well "Stab" can stand-in for Scream within itself. This one tries to treat Scream the way Scream treated Halloween etc, except when the killer quizzes a victim about Stab and the answer is Heather Graham, it doesn't really land because Stab is not Scream and Heather Graham is not Drew Barrymore. Likewise, the scene where they're watching Stab at the party loses a lot of the punch that a movie where they're watching Scream would've had.

Yeah, I think there's a big jump you have to make between the first two Scream movies (maybe the third too, but that's probably the part where it blurs completely) and the rest when it comes to the in-universe meta poo poo.

I've seen the movie dozens of times, but I haven't though about this part much at all. I always just assumed the bathroom attack was a high school kid prank. It's definitely and interesting thing to dive into.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

There's this stealth subplot in the first Scream that I've never been able to determine where it lies on the spectrum between "unintended" and merely "underdeveloped."

There's no way the ghostface in the high school restroom, the one lurking in the bushes, and the one stalking the aisles of a grocery store are Billy or Stu, they have to be imposters. I simply do not believe Billy is following Sidney around in costume at a loving supermarket.

The movie obviously wants you to believe these appearances are all the real killer, and the only evidence I can point to that suggests the imposter angle might be intended is that the restroom scene was altered from the script in ways that make it more ambiguous (you hear the person's voice and it sounds nothing like any of the characters, the reporter talking about pranksters immediately follows this scene).

I'm "death of the author" as gently caress so in the end it doesn't matter to me whether it was intended, but I have a hard time shaking how the prankster angle doesn't just fix plot holes but improves the movie extraordinarily by elegantly tying together its threads of "neglectful baby boomers are raising a generation of sociopaths" and "this killer isn't just a person but a mentality of cynicism that can spread among the disaffected" that makes it hard for me to believe it's all a coincidence.

The movie shows pranksters in the school; logistically, bathroom Ghostface is a prankster since both Ghostfaces couldn't do it as they were shown outside the bathroom too closely before.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Darko posted:

The movie shows pranksters in the school; logistically, bathroom Ghostface is a prankster since both Ghostfaces couldn't do it as they were shown outside the bathroom too closely before.

Yeah, I think the reason the scene has these competing notions of "this is for sure the real killer" while there are also these obvious tells that it's not is because at some point they realized they had a bit of a plot hole here and performed some CYOA.*

Then again, the script (linked below, it's pretty interesting) also has an additional scene where Sidney encounters two pranksters (unclear whether these are the same two we see or not), which does suggest the imposter angle was more of a thing than what's immediately obvious in the film. https://www.scriptslug.com/assets/scripts/scream-1993.pdf

*To be clear, I meant "Cover Your Own rear end" and not "Choose Your Own Adventure," heh!

SidneyIsTheKiller fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 30, 2022

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

In general, I know the idea that sociopathy can spread has long fascinated Kevin Williamson. If I remember right at one point Scream 2 was going to have four killers: Derek and Hallie were the ghostfaces who did the dirty work for their boss Mrs. Loomis, who would also manage to successfully turn Cotton Weary against Sidney at the end. And I believe Williamson considered having a big group of teens conspiring together to kill for Scream 3. He then revisited the idea for the TV show 'The Following.'

In Scream 1, you can make a direct comparison between the pranksters we do see in the film and the real killers. "Ghostface" himself is a form of prank, the killers say they're "playing a game" and treat the whole thing like a big joke. Stu even looks stunned to learn Billy actually has a serious personal motivation behind the killings. The idea that they're already inspiring numerous copycat imposters would be totally on brand.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

LesterGroans posted:

3 takes place in Hollywood around the filming of a new Stab movie. Sidney is a trauma hotline operator and lives isolated, Gale is still Gale, Dewey is a bodyguard. The killer is Roman, Sidney's older half-brother from her mom's time as an actress. They also retconned it so he was the one who convinced Billy to do the killings in 1.

Wouldn't that explain some of the Ghostface appearances in the first movie? Like him being around when it couldn't be Billy or Stu?

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

While we're theorizing, it occurred to me: if all of the ghostfaces seen between the attack at Sidney's house and the night of Stu's party are imposters, that would include the one that kills the Principal, which actually makes more sense that he'd be done in by one of the pranksters he just expelled than Billy or Stu.

Dawgstar posted:

Wouldn't that explain some of the Ghostface appearances in the first movie? Like him being around when it couldn't be Billy or Stu?

Ooh, that's a neat little retcon. A huge stretch, sure, but so was the entirety of Scream 3, so...

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I promise I'll cool it with the posting, just wanted to add right quick that in Scream 5 instead of Mindy watching Randy say "behind you," we should have seen Mindy watching Sidney and Kenny watching Randy say "behind you"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dawgstar posted:

Wait, which are those? I thought Scream was incredibly tight about that aspect.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I think they're just loosely referring to the discussion where it arguably makes more sense that some of the ghostfaces were imposters.

The restroom one is probably the most dubious and why there's some agreement that it's a prankster, but even then the movie gives itself some room for time skippage: Sidney is running to the restroom after her argument with Billy and the scene was to continue from there, but they moved the scene where the principal expels the (other?) pranksters in-between to make this less noticeable. And hey, who's to say she didn't go to the restroom a second time?

Edit: Their inherent silliness aside, the "stalking" ghostfaces are still a stretch. So Billy/Stu are roaming around Tatum's house, then they both go to the video store, then one of them decides to go back and follow Sid and Tatum into the supermarket? Not impossible, sure, but we're really starting to push it here.

(I realize I probably sound like I'm waffling, but basically everyone's a little bit right: the movie does cover all its bases, it just really starts stretching it in the middle section if we assume all ghostfaces are Billy or Stu)

SidneyIsTheKiller fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 1, 2022

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

(I realize I probably sound like I'm waffling, but basically everyone's a little bit right: the movie does cover all its bases, it just really starts stretching it in the middle section if we assume all ghostfaces are Billy or Stu)

Yeah, it's not something I seriously believe is an actual premise Craven set forward or anything, but it could explain some things.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I think they're just loosely referring to the discussion where it arguably makes more sense that some of the ghostfaces were imposters.

The restroom one is probably the most dubious and why there's some agreement that it's a prankster, but even then the movie gives itself some room for time skippage: Sidney is running to the restroom after her argument with Billy and the scene was to continue from there, but they moved the scene where the principal expels the (other?) pranksters in-between to make this less noticeable. And hey, who's to say she didn't go to the restroom a second time?

Edit: Their inherent silliness aside, the "stalking" ghostfaces are still a stretch. So Billy/Stu are roaming around Tatum's house, then they both go to the video store, then one of them decides to go back and follow Sid and Tatum into the supermarket? Not impossible, sure, but we're really starting to push it here.

Yeah, the bathroom is rough because Stu is with Sidney's friend and Billy is on the other end of the hallway so he couldn't beat her to the bathroom. Plus that Ghostface isn't wearing what either Billy or Stu is wearing in the prior or next scenes. It threw me off greatly as far as the whodunit part went, just like Ghostface being a woman gets iffy when they're taller than the guys they're attacking but 6 inches shorter outside of the outfit (Scream 2 avoids this with the van attack being possibly the only one Loomis did) and throws off predicting women being the killer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I recently picked up the latest release of Scream '96 on Blu-ray ("25th anniversary edition"), and not only did it look impressive (I never thought the movie needed a remaster, but this really sparkles), but it had a very generous batch of language dubs that I found really fascinating. You even get separate Spain and Latin American tracks which made me wish we could also get English dubs in an Australian or Irish accent or something.

The big takeaway from it is a reminder that Roger Jackson is second only to the ghost mask itself as far as indispensable figures of Scream. I hope the dude gets paid handsomely, because while there are very talented voice artists out there who can do very passable impressions, it's always noticeable when it's not him and it's going to be quite a hurdle to overcome for us anglos if the series ever has to carry on without him.