Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
Really liked 5. Had some weird dislike of Wes and couldnt tell why. Realize now he was Jack from Losts annoying rear end son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Scream 6(2?) is happening. Cause let’s face it baby, these days, you gotta have a sequel.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I wonder if both Sam and Tara will be the leads. I thought Tara was the better actor and more interesting character, but I ended up finding Sam's Ghost Dad stuff surprisingly funny and cool by the end.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah you really have to bring back both. Totally agree Tara was the better performance and character but there is so many directions you can take Sam's stuff now.

The real important question is will Lesbian Randy get more screentime

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
They should have John Goodman play Billy's dad.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
I'm absolutely certain that as long as the actors are game that everybody that survived Scream 5 will be back. The recurring ensemble cast is a series hallmark, and not only is it in need of replenishing, I really do think they're retiring the legacy cast at this point outside of cameos (I can see them watching Gale interviewing Sidney on her morning show, etc.). Sid and Gale no longer have any significant ties to Woodsboro and it's clear they both have long since moved beyond caring about this ghostface poo poo.

Neve Campbell has recently gone on record saying Sidney should never die which I agree with but it's about the last thing you want to say if you're continuing with a series all about keeping the audience in suspense.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/scream-2022-neve-campbell-sidney-prescott-next-movie-1235078952/

SidneyIsTheKiller fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Mar 8, 2022

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Surprise, Sidney? Scream 5 has suddenly appeared on Paramount+ like a jump scare.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

While we're theorizing, it occurred to me: if all of the ghostfaces seen between the attack at Sidney's house and the night of Stu's party are imposters, that would include the one that kills the Principal, which actually makes more sense that he'd be done in by one of the pranksters he just expelled than Billy or Stu.

Ooh, that's a neat little retcon. A huge stretch, sure, but so was the entirety of Scream 3, so...

The bathroom Ghostface is a prankster (he doesn't even have a knife iirc)

There's no way the one that kills the principal is a prankster. It's too integral to B & S's plan in getting people out of the house to have been just randomly done. Plus wasn't he strung up on the goal posts or something? I don't see a single high-school kid being able to pull that off without a partner.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Just watched this on Paramount+, overall I liked it but I do kinda feel cheated in a way because when Dewey died it was so obviously a normal sized or even maybe larger than average person who did it, so for the rest of the movie I'm wracking my brain to figure out who it could've been. So that ended up taking away from the big reveal, I was just sitting there slightly pissed off rather than surprised.

I did read the thread so I know this has been brought up before but it definitely stood out to me.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I mean, there’s always been some suspension of disbelief with Ghostface. He doesn’t move or really look like either one of the guys in the original either, the voice changer never made sense, the killers are constantly having to disrobe out of a full blousy costume and and are usually wearing a bullet proof vest that’s never visible, etc.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The fact that it's Dewey we're talking about is definitely part of the reason it bothers me so much. I was certainly watching every frame of that scene much more closely than any other kill in the franchises history so the contradiction stuck in my mind.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

There's always the possibility that they knew there'd be a sequel and the real killer in that scene got away and is still at large. I don't believe that theory myself, but it's not like we're gonna have long to wait to find out

https://twitter.com/filmupdates/status/1504853046140018699?s=21

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I think bothering to try to figure out the killer based on the body type of the stuntman in certain scenes is a lost cause. Whoever wears the mask becomes Ghostface: strong, determined and clumsy.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

LesterGroans posted:

I think bothering to try to figure out the killer based on the body type of the stuntman in certain scenes is a lost cause. Whoever wears the mask becomes Ghostface: strong, determined and clumsy.

In 1, they were only "somewhat" off but still the largest guys in the group, in 2, Timothy Oliphaunt could have done every one of the kills except the Jamie Kennedy one, where he was pulled into the truck from behind and stabbed, so the reveal wasn't really an issue. 3 was same as 1, bad reveal, but the size matched.The last two just got sloppy with it; both of the killers in 4 were tiny as hell.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's a cheat, that's why it's a bit annoying. It's not like they can't get a short stunt person to do those scenes, they purposely didn't do that because they know it would be noticeable to the audience and make the reveal at the end less surprising.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
This might have been the worst movie I've seen in a long long time.

reddit fanboy killers and sparkle robes

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I kept waiting for the glitter to be a plot point.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
At least it continued the tradition of being worse than the preceding movie, so that was nice.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
am I missing something here? the robes always had a sparkle thing... there is like reflective stuff sewn into them

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Chris James 2 posted:

There's always the possibility that they knew there'd be a sequel and the real killer in that scene got away and is still at large. I don't believe that theory myself, but it's not like we're gonna have long to wait to find out

https://twitter.com/filmupdates/status/1504853046140018699?s=21

I'm good, thanks

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Snooze Cruise posted:

am I missing something here? the robes always had a sparkle thing... there is like reflective stuff sewn into them

I think they beefed it up for amber or they've never lit it in a way that was that reflective before..it was weirdly over the top, but I also haven't hated myself enough to rewatch any of the sequels since they came out.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I thought this movie was just ok. I didn’t hate it but I was mostly shocked at how tame the kills are. I went back and watched 4 yesterday and it’s so much more energetic and fun to watch.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

remigious posted:

I thought this movie was just ok. I didn’t hate it but I was mostly shocked at how tame the kills are. I went back and watched 4 yesterday and it’s so much more energetic and fun to watch.

I thought this movie had the most violent kill in the whole series Wes.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I would say the kills in this are more graphic than most of what we've seen before in the series, but Scream really has never been an overly gory series in general. Or maybe "gory" isn't the way to put it. It's the graphic way some of the kills are shown from beginning to end, like, they don't cut as soon in this one as they did in the other Scream films. Scream isn't a series where I'm necessarily used to seeing the light slowly go out of people's eyes as they take their last breath, typically there's a cut right before the death itself, even in some of the gorier kills.

There are exceptions of course, Jada Pinkett's death in Scream 2 is pretty disturbing.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Yeah, 5 definitely held on stabs/cuts/death more than any of the others.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I think I need to watch it again!

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Yeah, it's not a series that's particularly gory (even though Drew Barrymore gutted in a tree is the first kill) but because the deaths are more "realistic" they still hit. Like Basebf555 said, Jada Pinkett's death is a standout and Randy's bloody face in the back of the van always stuck with me.

Wes's death in 5 is probably the most viscerally brutal death in the series.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
The bedroom covered in blood in Scream 4 always felt really visceral to me.

ruddiger posted:

I kept waiting for the glitter to be a plot point.

The glitter robes have been a thing since the beginning, but the source of the fabric for the robes has been different for pretty much every movie and the cut and amount of shine differs from movie to movie and even from scene to scene.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dewey getting ganked in the sound booth in Scream 2 is pretty drat visceral.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

Dewey getting ganked in the sound booth in Scream 2 is pretty drat visceral.

I mean yea it would be if it wasn't actually just the set up to the best joke in the whole series

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Big news everyone
https://twitter.com/ScreamMovies/status/1509611825217736739?t=bmVeK8SrePrRf_qRDJXUtw&s=19

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

I was the original sus.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Holy cow some of you all need to rewatch the movies. You got guts falling out of bodies, a pole through a head, knives going through hands and foreheads, and all throughout all kinds of unflinching shots of stabbings and gunshot wounds. It's no Saw but Scream is vicious.

And I think the only time I've actually noticed the sparkly costume is in the first Scream. Ghostface is glittery AF in the garage scene.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Not gonna lie the series loses a few points with me for never arranging a Ghostface Killah cameo, I mean come on.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

But would he be a killer of Ghostfaces or a Ghostface who kills? I guess that could be the central mystery.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
It would be hilarious if he played a wannabe Dr Loomis hunting down Ghostface and dying immediately

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

And I think the only time I've actually noticed the sparkly costume is in the first Scream. Ghostface is glittery AF in the garage scene.

Stu wanted to SHINE, okay?

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Some thoughts after a Scream 5 rewatch:
  • I like it more and more how thoroughly Sid, Dewey, and Gale have moved on from the whole Ghostface thing. They treat it like a dumb chore they have to take care of every few years and only because they absolutely have to, and that feels correct at this point in their lives.

• The way the movie highlights the cast's odd predicament of being suspicious of each other and yet still hanging out together is really amusing.

• Something I keep missing: what's the significance of the bum who harasses them at the bar? I think he was supposed to be related to Stu in some way?

• A little disappointed that knowing who the killer was didn't seem to effect how the movie played at all. The villain just lies about everything until the reveal.

• It really is brutal how both Sheriff Hicks and her son Wes get shanked one after the other. It almost seems like a rare bit of mercy from Ghostface that neither ends up knowing the fate of the other.

• I swear this isn't just bias, but you can feel a difference in the movie's energy when Sidney arrives in a tense moment. Neve Campbell just has a commanding screen presence when she's in this role.

• Was there no reference at all to the Scream TV show? I never saw the thing and kind of forgot it even existed, but it would seem un-Scream-like to ignore it completely. Even just something like "I completely forgot there was a Stab TV show, can you believe it?" "I heard it was OK actually! I wouldn't know, though, I never saw it."

SidneyIsTheKiller fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Apr 6, 2022

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Some thoughts after a Scream 5 rewatch:
  • Something I keep missing: what's the significance of the bum who harasses them at the bar? I think he was supposed to be related to Stu in some way?

nephew

i watched it the other week and it's firmly in the middle for me, better than 4 and 3 but not as good as 1 or 2. there really hasn't been a true whodunit since the first one and they did try it here but i felt it didn't work particularly well

very funny that filmmakers keep casting mikey madison to get set on fire though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I guessed they were the killer due to that specific film as a joke lol