Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

About the Game

It Takes Two is an Action Adventure game developed by Hazelight Studios and published by EA in March of 2021. It is a rather unique game in that it can only be played in co-op mode; requiring either that players be in a room together with a pair of controllers or online and ideally with those players able to communicate by voice. The major thrust of the game is that the co-operation required by the players is mirrored by the plot of the game, which is seen through the eyes of a couple going through a divorce.

Through magical circumstances brought on by their daughter, our protagonists, Cody and May find themselves trapped in the bodies of homemade dolls and must find a way through a madcap world based on their own home back to their real bodies and hopefully the real world. The co-op gameplay is intentionally asymmetric, with Cody and May working together, but in different roles so that players are forced to work together to find their way forward. But through clear communication, obstacles can be overcome and shenanigans can be had. The game is, rather importantly, very forgiving, with tossing yourself into a bottomless pit only losing you a few seconds as you spawn back into the world.

The game released to critical success, even scooping "Game of the Year" in the 2021 Game Awards. Notably, it's the first really major success coming from EA's Originals program which seeks to grant developers (In this case, Hazelight) more creative control and commercial benefit from their games, which potentially bodes well for similar projects in the future out of the Publisher.

It's fared a little worse here on Something Awful however, failing to break our Top 10 games of the year, because what else would repel goons more than needing to have friends?

And so it falls upon myself and my amazing co-commentator Yorkshire Tea to take up the mantle and show off this game to you. Is it Game of the Year material? Is it just a flash in the pan? Can we get through more than ten episodes without trying to murder each other? The answers to these questions and more will hopefully be found within the LP.

About the LP

This will be a blind LP where the characters will be piloted by both myself and Yorkshire Tea at the same time!

Art and banners, will, as ever, be handled by the amazing Bifauxnen.

Episodes

Links

Our Patreon! - In case you want to support our LPs and see episodes early!

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Cody sounds like Alex YIIK when he yells, and I don’t know how to feel about that.

Also according to IMDB, the game’s director Josef Farres does the voice and mocap for the relationship book which, uh…it’s a choice.

theenglishman fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 15, 2022

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Given how Rose wishes for Cody and May to be friends it'd be funny if the game ends with them getting a divorce, just an amicable one.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Why is Dr. Hakim a broad Mexican stereotype?

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

You mentioned Henry Hoover and I am therefore obligated to link this video of a guy who made it breathe fire.

As for the rest, um, this game looks interesting but I am not loving the concept of "the antagonist is a self-help book trying to emotionally abuse the couple into staying together". Guess we'll see where it goes.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Does this mean Nat and Tea are getting divorced???

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Black Robe posted:

Does this mean Nat and Tea are getting divorced???

I was so happy to hear they finally tied the knot, and now this....

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

SirSamVimes posted:

I was so happy to hear they finally tied the knot, and now this....

Look, the important thing to remember is that even if we do break up, we love all of you shitposters in our threads and that's never going to change.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Natural 20 posted:

Look, the important thing to remember is that even if we do break up, we love all of you shitposters in our threads and that's never going to change.

You say that, but now we know which one of you hates the Irish.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
I've heard this game is good, but I really hate the "you must not divorce, it is always bad" theme.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

I've heard the gameplay is pretty good but the story is very, very bad so I'm curious to see where this goes.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I played this with my wife on the ps4. She had never held a controller before. There were some painful segments, mostly platforming. She still had a blast with it though because the game is so forgiving.

And now she won't put down Fortnite and it is unforgivable for It Takes Two to start her down that path. Game gets 1/10

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Wow, that was a brutal kill scene.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Tenebrais posted:

Wow, that was a brutal kill scene.

I was NOT expecting it to go that way.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Bellmaker posted:

I've heard the gameplay is pretty good but the story is very, very bad so I'm curious to see where this goes.

Everything to do with how the game plays is excellent.

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.
Welcome to the Brave Little Toaster Expanded Universe

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Only two videos in and I can already tell that whoever came up with the story and dialogue needs to be locked away for the safety of the rest of us. :stare:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Correction to what I said in an earlier post: apparently Cody’s voice actor also plays Dr. Hakim which…wow I never would have guessed that was the same actor.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

"Local man responds to marital problems by nailing everything in sight. His wife has been seen getting hammered."

Serious note, the level design in this is really solid, this looks like it's a lot of fun to work through. The writing is seriously irritating me, though.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Toolbox was much less horrifying than vacuum was.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

The book had better be the final boss. And get a worse death than the vacuum.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

That room was painful to watch. The wasps clearly have nothing to worry about!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Those squirrels are nuts.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

If the wasps weren't, you know, wasps, I'd start thinking that the squirrels aren't on the up and up and maybe Cody and Rose will have to team up the wasps.
But they're wasps, so gently caress 'em on principle.

(Admittedly the squirrels are squirrels but still, they're not vespids)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
To be honest, that does sound like something the book would force them to do - you know, look at the problem from the other one's point of view.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Episode 06 - Deeply Rooted

Art will be forthcoming shortly!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Were those male voices for those wasps? Surely everyone knows by now eusocial insects are almost exclusively female.

Can't believe the game would break from scientific accuracy

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

You have weapons that make big fiery explosions and books are made of paper. I feel like there's an easy solution here.

(I'm pretty amused that explosive honey just seems to be a thing now. )

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
This game has gone places I could never have predicted.

And from what I do know of it, it's only just beginning to mess with us. I can see why this game was so highly praised.

I'm loving the LP so far.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

This game has beautiful setpieces and is definitely a success in terms of game design, plot aside. I sorta feel like "game as couples' counseling" could work but this game tries to do it in way too kid-friendly and generic a manner and botches it as a result. We're fighting and killing the victims/results of the couple's shared personal dysfunction rather than the actual dysfunctions themselves, which leads to an even more warped place than just "considering divorce? just let this magic book turn you into dolls and he'll fix you right up!" does.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I really have no idea what the writing is doing with this game. Tonally it's very much a wacky children's adventure with ridiculous characters and situations, while everything about the actual protagonist's lives is just a bit of a sober dysfunctional relationship and putting a lens on all those little, relatable ways you don't quite take care of your home as well as you could. I guess it might be going somewhere with that contrast - this whole scenario was precipitated by a child, but it certainly doesn't look like she consciously did it or even that she believes this would be a way to fix her parents' relationship.

It all looks fun as hell to play, though. And very pretty, even if the scale doesn't seem all that consistent.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Conker vibes is a good way of describing this game. That mix of cute, silly, and just... just wrong.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Wasps down, prepper squirrels to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.