Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Explopyro posted:

(Side note, while I'm thinking about it, does anyone else find Rose to look off in a kind of uncanny valley way? I'm not sure if it's that, exactly, but I think her proportions look too adult, she doesn't look nearly as young as the writing implies she is. It could just the a consequence of the shrunken-down perspective, I guess, but I keep noticing this.)

Oh man I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed just how off putting Rose looks. However, in retrospect, I think all of the human characters look a bit off, even in the opening cutscene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

The only way I can imagine this story being redeemed rn is if Dr. Hakim was revealed to be a Stand, who has cursed these awful parents to endless sidequests with Love Experience Requiem

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Maybe they are both dead and in hell.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I've only seen the parts from here onward as a speedrun that skipped a bunch of stuff so I'm curious if we get a redemption arc so the people who come out the other side actually deserve it.

I'm guessing no but hoping yes.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Robindaybird posted:

It floored me seeing people who actually found this entire scene funny, and call it 'dark comedy' - including the writer of this game.

That was supposed to be funny? I thought it was supposed to be shocking in order to produce reaction videos for viral advertising.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Explopyro posted:

(Side note, while I'm thinking about it, does anyone else find Rose to look off in a kind of uncanny valley way? I'm not sure if it's that, exactly, but I think her proportions look too adult, she doesn't look nearly as young as the writing implies she is. It could just the a consequence of the shrunken-down perspective, I guess, but I keep noticing this.)

I'd say it's a combination of not doing her face quite right and also not making her emote in any way that isn't crying. I got really bad vibes from the dinner table conversation when she doesn't visibly react to the divorce news; a child acting that casual about that kind of poo poo is a sign of either not understanding what they've been told, or having previously existing severe emotional damage. The way the parents just let her run off and go about their own business, then the reveal that she totally did understand and is crushed about it, but I guess didn't want to show it in front of them, makes it pretty drat clear which of those it is and where it came from.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
"Dark Comedy" is a fair assessment of the actual scene. While it's horrific in context, the actual actions are slapstick at the same level as the Black Knight in The Holy Grail. Team Parents of the Year chase this stuffed animal down with a crane game, then gleefully dismember and chuck it over a cliff.

Within context though... what the christ. "Let's murder our child's favorite toy to make her cry magic tears" has got to be the shittiest leaps in logic - Magic book's been shouting at you to communicate and the best they could do was decide to crush their child's heart together?!?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

...Cody and May live together, are married, have a child, and this has been the case for quite a few years. How is Cody apparently completely unaware that May's job pays the bills? How does he not understand that she works because she has to? Did he think the money appeared from thin air and that was completely separate from her just wanting to work a lot for free?

That whole exchange would have been better coming from Rose, because small children often don't understand the whole concept of needing to work to pay for food and housing.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Black Robe posted:

...Cody and May live together, are married, have a child, and this has been the case for quite a few years. How is Cody apparently completely unaware that May's job pays the bills? How does he not understand that she works because she has to? Did he think the money appeared from thin air and that was completely separate from her just wanting to work a lot for free?

That whole exchange would have been better coming from Rose, because small children often don't understand the whole concept of needing to work to pay for food and housing.

While I agree the way this game presents it is childish, of course something like this can actually cause friction. More on the level of "if your job requires you to be on the road so much, maybe it's better to look for something else to do?". But this game isn't very big on realism anyway.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Carbon dioxide posted:

While I agree the way this game presents it is childish, of course something like this can actually cause friction. More on the level of "if your job requires you to be on the road so much, maybe it's better to look for something else to do?". But this game isn't very big on realism anyway.

Oh sure, it's absolutely a problem for a lot of families, but Cody seems to have been genuinely unaware that she's the breadwinner. Him resenting it would be one thing, but him not understanding it and apparently only hearing the explanation for the first time now after they've been living together for years is a whole new level of stupid.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
The gameplay in this game looks great. The story...I can't recall the last game I had this strong a negative reaction to. The whole elephant sequence is just...why? gently caress you people. Don't do that.

Nevileen
Jan 4, 2008
Ah yes, the Elephant Scene. I remember being absolutely horrified by it, and how the narrative kind of brushes off this horrible traumatic incident. Cue me looking up to see if the writer ever talked about it....and finding out that he absolutely defended it calling it dark comedy and was very adamant about it being an important scene. Which, uh. wow. As someone that treasured their stuffed toys pretty deeply as a child, that entire scene just completely killed any remaining interest I had in the game.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

In a better written game, the elephant scene should've been a realization point that they're letting their toxicity and selfishness hurt their child but It Takes Two is not a well written game.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I have some anecdotes of stuffed animal injuries that I hope will balance out the cruelty we're seeing from It Takes Two. I've had some of my critters since childhood, including Jaws and Stripes here respectively.

Kid NGDBSS had a bad habit of swinging Stripes around by the tail. Over time the tail got more and more loose until it broke clean off, and I was rather embarrassed. Luckily my mother was able to patch things up with some thick black thread, and I felt chastened enough to stop inflicting injuries like that.

Jaws on the other hand just...got old. (As seen above they would be old enough to legally drink.) They ended up with some holes behind the dorsal fins and right pectoral fin - not immediately worrisome, but a problem in need of fixing nonetheless. As An Adult it was now my responsibility to perform surgery on my critters. The result isn't perfect, as you can see from the loose threads and exposed stitching in the first picture, but it's been effective nonetheless.

I feel like in a just world May and Cody would have decided to read a charming bedtime story to Queen Cutie instead of perpetuating this grotesque mess.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
That is the single greatest post I've ever had on any of my LPs.

Oh my god your cuddly toys are the best and I want to give them all the hugs.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

You had great taste in stuffed companions! Sharks are perfectly designed for cuddling.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Thanks! In addition to those critters I asked my parents for a dogfish this past Christmas based on a local brewing company, but as it turned out we could only find a listing for an actual dogfish intended for dissection in a biology lab. Oof. Instead I went with Cassandra the tiger shark, seen podcasting here. :v:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

I really like the clock tower level, and it just convinces me more that the game should have started off in the shed, then skipped all the other levels and went straight into the "couples counseling with 4 pieces of the letter" back half when Rose went inside, and the game would still have the same impact except for the anger we all feel when we as the players were forced to destroy Rose's favorite toy.

It's almost like they had all these ideas and just wanted to keep showcasing more and more co-oping levels in a "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" way.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Miz Kriss posted:

I really like the clock tower level, and it just convinces me more that the game should have started off in the shed, then skipped all the other levels and went straight into the "couples counseling with 4 pieces of the letter" back half when Rose went inside, and the game would still have the same impact except for the anger we all feel when we as the players were forced to destroy Rose's favorite toy.

It's almost like they had all these ideas and just wanted to keep showcasing more and more co-oping levels in a "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" way.

Yeah? Co-op platforming was clearly the core idea here, the story is a (poor) excuse to get that idea going. You're not going to cut two thirds of your game in service of a story that's secondary.

E: Lmao, on the other hand I guess they're trying to make a movie out of it?

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Feb 22, 2022

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Miz Kriss posted:

It's 100% this based off of A Way Out which similarly went wild with settings to justify tons of varied co-op stuff and minigames. Kinda makes me wonder what'd happen if they weren't chained to the idea that games have to have a plot.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Imagine the critics eviscerating this - there's a reason why "Oh no, we can't let these people divorce - think of the kids!" movie plots largely died out after the 90s

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

It's 100% this based off of A Way Out which similarly went wild with settings to justify tons of varied co-op stuff and minigames. Kinda makes me wonder what'd happen if they weren't chained to the idea that games have to have a plot.

Or even without an over-arching plot. Hell, make it a series of vignettes with the stupid book as the narrator/driving force and have different couples in various stages of relationships and strife: best friends moving away, a couple going through divorce, siblings fighting, you name it. Then they can go even more hog wild on the settings because this dumb book is magical and has apparently sold "millions of copies."

I don't mind the game. It's very beautiful, and I'm sure my critique is minor (despite what my posts say), but the main thing is that seeing this past level feels like a loop of the emotions and lessons Cody and May were supposed to learn from the first part of the game makes me wonder "was adding the elephant murder necessary?"

Robindaybird posted:

Imagine the critics eviscerating this - there's a reason why "Oh no, we can't let these people divorce - think of the kids!" movie plots largely died out after the 90s

It was stupid when I was a kid with divorced parents and it's stupid now that I'm an adult with divorced parents and a dead stepparent.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Miz Kriss posted:

Or even without an over-arching plot. Hell, make it a series of vignettes with the stupid book as the narrator/driving force and have different couples in various stages of relationships and strife: best friends moving away, a couple going through divorce, siblings fighting, you name it. Then they can go even more hog wild on the settings because this dumb book is magical and has apparently sold "millions of copies."

Ooh that's a good idea. Even ignoring the characters being so awful, it does feel a bit tiring for them to keep going so long just dragged over and over from one magically extrapolated world of imagination to another.

Having some variety in the characters would make them a lot easier to live with. And having each be a short isolated scenario, like just an introductory therapy session that gets them started talking instead of acting like they're gonna solve all their problems in real time, that would frame things in a more healthy way too.

The elephant scene might actually finally be darkly funny if that was our first introduction to these two, in comparison to other characters before, and the book gets to yell at them wondering why that was the first idea they went with.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Bifauxnen posted:

The elephant scene might actually finally be darkly funny if that was our first introduction to these two, in comparison to other characters before, and the book gets to yell at them wondering why that was the first idea they went with.

I would have actually laughed if the book popped in with his finger guns and exaggerated accent just to ask what the gently caress. "WHAT did the ELEPHANT ever do to YOU?"

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I guess you don't have to talk about the elephant in the room if you brutally murder her instead?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Explopyro posted:

I guess you don't have to talk about the elephant in the room if you brutally murder her instead?

:vince:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

In this episode: Tea's laptop burning itself through a table.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I guess this is what they call a clock and bull story.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

I guess this is what they call a clock and bull story.

You are a worse person than May and Cody.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.
This episode inspired me; a feature to port into other games.

See, I know another couple that could use some counseling...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Melaneus posted:

You will never defeat me,
co-op-er-a-tion is key!

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Melaneus posted:

It takes tooie? :v:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Can you imagine how amazing this game would be if the writing was as good as the gameplay?

Hot drat, it'd be one of the best goddamn games ever.

Thanks for making it fun to watch!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Shei-kun posted:

Can you imagine how amazing this game would be if the writing was as good as the gameplay?

Hot drat, it'd be one of the best goddamn games ever.

Episode 22: Video Rental Store

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Bifauxnen posted:

Episode 22: Video Rental Store

Episode 23: IKEA