Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

pointlessone posted:

Episode 23: IKEA

Whoah is that in the Jamais Vu update

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I asssume they're drilling for rock candy

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
The book seriously seems like he's doing the exact opposite of what he's saying he's doing half the time.

I did enjoy his term for their relationship this episode, though.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

If this ends with the book saying 'yeah I was just trolling the pair of you, you're lovely people and deserved it' and disappearing, that might actually redeem the game.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Also we have a poll going on the next LP on our Youtube channel! So please vote away on it!

What Should We Play Next?

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
The "therapy sessions" sections of this game really do feel like they're achieving the premise of getting May and Cody back together-ish. This section feels like it really should have been first from the story perspective.

Story wise, it really feels like the game should have flowed from the Shed to Couples Therapy, then Honey I Shrunk the Parents and them trying to get to the house and Rose's Room. From there, the Ending Branch of good/bad endings (????<>Elephant in the Room)

I don't know how much of the game is left, but the writers really screwed the pooch in the order of this. Therapy section May and Cody are fairly likable and feel like they're actually achieving progress as characters which makes "Let's murder her favorite toy to make our child cry" victory dancing a clear cut bad ending option. Forcing it into the main game is just a weird choice.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Therapy section May and Cody are in fact still very lovely people. Since the Elephant In The Room neither of them have even mentioned their daughter and appear to have forgotten she exists, let alone that they left her crying and that she's been on her own for a pretty long time by this point.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Oh, absolutely agree. There's no coming back from dancing in glee that you've managed to make your child cry.

Taking each section of the game as its own though, the radio silence on Rose would be a bit more understandable since they were trying to recover her letter from the book if this was happening in a vacuum. Benefit of the doubt - These levels could have existed anywhere in the game, so there's a tiny chance at redeeming these two terrible, awful people.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I feel like the story as-is wouldn't even have needed much. Gameplay-wise you start out highlighting things they've neglected or forgotten, and innocents (the vacuum, toolbox and bee) suffer because they're in the way. Then their desire to return to normal has them directly harming their daughter's toys. Now it's reconciliation and deliberate teamwork as they rebuild things.

All you need is for the Elephant moment to have the characters themselves realize how messed up it was. You can even wait until the tears don't work, as the fog of "it's necessary" fades away. Metastory-wise this is the atonement/rebuilding section, but the characters themselves haven't engaged with the most important part of atonement: realizing you hosed up.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
If it's the number of legs that upsets you, Nat, how do you feel about crabs?

Armoured spiders! :ohdear:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Did you know the fastest spider in the world is native to the UK? They're actually a pretty common sight inside the household, especially in late summer/early autumn when the males go looking for mates. It's called the giant house spider, and if you've seen one you probably know why. With their speed they chase their prey down directly rather than spinning webs.

I just find them interesting.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Tenebrais posted:

I just find them interesting.

You misspelled horrifying.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I don't mind spiders, with the exception of hunting spiders. Who are too big and definitely way too fast. I can leave long legs and such around when I see them, but the moment I see one of those hairy fuckers I get a jar and evict them out of the house.

Admittedly I don't like tarantulas either but they're not really a thing I see here so they don't really concern me.

Tindalos
May 1, 2008

Black Robe posted:

You misspelled horrifying.

It's both here.
A strong arachnophobia and a fascination with them. Such as the spiders Tea mentioned in the episode the mostly vegetarian spider, and the social spiders. (warning: those links have pictures.)

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I admit I chuckled at "downward frog". The game definitely can be charming when you're not inflicting emotional abuse on children.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Working to save and restore a garden is a great goal for a game and a good therapeutic thing for a couple to be doing. Just not at the expense of their actual daughter who they still have not remembered exists.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

The game definitely can be charming when you're not inflicting emotional abuse on children.

I feel this is the best summary of the entire game I've read so far.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah these last couple of chapters have been pretty good. Even the book's antics feel more fun now.

In retrospect this game would have been improved massively if Rose simply wasn't in it; pretty much all of the bad writing comes down to the characters not treating her properly. The book was really grating because it was so insistent about coming between the parents and their child. Then the whole thing where the parents made it their goal to hurt their daughter as much as possible and didn't feel bad for her about it at all. Even now the main thing dragging the tone down is the regular reminders that Rose is functionally by herself, under the impression her parents don't want to talk to her, and no one seems to care.

Just scrap the character of Rose. Let Cody have bought this self-help book from one of those mysterious shops that's always been there but hadn't always been there yesterday, and it is what's putting them through all this under its own power with the promise to let them go once they fix their relationship issues. The story would have been so much better and the only gameplay you'd lose would have been the chapter based around Rose's room, which I'm sure they could have come up with substitutes for.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I think you'd still need to rebalance things so that all the character development and actual therapy-type stuff is more evenly dispersed through the game. But removing Rose a) takes away the grossest plot beats (the elephant in particular) and makes Cody and May immediately more relatable as you're not continually reminded they're terrible parents, and b) makes the entire premise of trying to save their marriage better because it's not founded on a toxic "stay together for the child" message. (Divorce is hard for kids to understand but it's often better for the kid than growing up with their parents constantly fighting!)

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Attack of the killer tomatoes~

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Those two have now shown significantly more concern for a houseplant than for their daughter

Kind of enjoyed the punchline that this was never a couples' problem really. It's like Joy wasn't even listening to the annoying talking book!

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Tenebrais posted:

Those two have now shown significantly more concern for a houseplant than for their daughter

Kind of enjoyed the punchline that this was never a couples' problem really. It's like Joy wasn't even listening to the annoying talking book!

The plant should be the new counsellor. Telling Cody to grow up and not blame everyone else for him not doing things is good. Next step, remind him that his daughter exists and ask why the hell he's not putting in this amount of effort to help her, and copy May in on this question.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

...when is this game set, anyway? Some of this audio tech looks older than Cody and May would be if it's in the modern day. In retrospect quite a lot of the stuff we've seen has looked pretty 90's.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I'm just imagining kids playing this and having no idea what any of the things are. Do they know what a tape is?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Explopyro posted:

I'm just imagining kids playing this and having no idea what any of the things are. Do they know what a tape is?

It's that thing Soundwave's animals turn into.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Sorry game, no matter how many cool sections you throw at us I won't forget the elephant torture.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
This is probably the one set piece I'm struggling to care about to be honest, but at least it's better than the elephant regicide.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I think he's supposed to be more latin than specifically Mexican , the whole thing being reference the cliché that they are very passionate.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

That is all she wrote for this LP friends!

We'll be moving on to Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow very shortly, which I'll link through to when I can and in the meantime I'll have a few videos out on Triangle Strategy.

As ever, thanks so much for watching along and supporting us. It means the world to both Tea and myself.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Man, this sure was a fuckin video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Kinu Nishimura posted:

Man, this sure was a fuckin video game.

A video game... of the year!