Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Conker vibes is a good way of describing this game. That mix of cute, silly, and just... just wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

That drat book is such a beautiful goblin.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Miz Kriss posted:

I've never played the game myself, but I've watched a playthrough that got just a bit further than the current video, and all I'll say is that the game makes it really difficult to root for the parents. I could have sworn we got rid of the "oh no my parents are divorcing I MUST STOP THIS FROM HAPPENING!" trope back in the 90s. :sigh:

Also that book can go rot in hell.

It's definitely interesting how it's clear why these two people aren't getting along, and the game's crafted to encourage similar bickering in the actual players. There are a lot of opportunities for miscommunication or someone to try and take over. One person setting things up and then frustrated as the other one can't do their part.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Natural 20 posted:

This is honest to god one of the most hosed up games I've ever played in my life.

Yeah... this part will do that to ya.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I've only seen the parts from here onward as a speedrun that skipped a bunch of stuff so I'm curious if we get a redemption arc so the people who come out the other side actually deserve it.

I'm guessing no but hoping yes.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

I guess this is what they call a clock and bull story.

You are a worse person than May and Cody.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Melaneus posted:

This episode inspired me; a feature to port into other games.

See, I know another couple that could use some counseling...

You will never defeat me,
co-op-er-a-tion is key!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I asssume they're drilling for rock candy

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I feel like the story as-is wouldn't even have needed much. Gameplay-wise you start out highlighting things they've neglected or forgotten, and innocents (the vacuum, toolbox and bee) suffer because they're in the way. Then their desire to return to normal has them directly harming their daughter's toys. Now it's reconciliation and deliberate teamwork as they rebuild things.

All you need is for the Elephant moment to have the characters themselves realize how messed up it was. You can even wait until the tears don't work, as the fog of "it's necessary" fades away. Metastory-wise this is the atonement/rebuilding section, but the characters themselves haven't engaged with the most important part of atonement: realizing you hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Explopyro posted:

I'm just imagining kids playing this and having no idea what any of the things are. Do they know what a tape is?

It's that thing Soundwave's animals turn into.