Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

About the Game

It Takes Two is an Action Adventure game developed by Hazelight Studios and published by EA in March of 2021. It is a rather unique game in that it can only be played in co-op mode; requiring either that players be in a room together with a pair of controllers or online and ideally with those players able to communicate by voice. The major thrust of the game is that the co-operation required by the players is mirrored by the plot of the game, which is seen through the eyes of a couple going through a divorce.

Through magical circumstances brought on by their daughter, our protagonists, Cody and May find themselves trapped in the bodies of homemade dolls and must find a way through a madcap world based on their own home back to their real bodies and hopefully the real world. The co-op gameplay is intentionally asymmetric, with Cody and May working together, but in different roles so that players are forced to work together to find their way forward. But through clear communication, obstacles can be overcome and shenanigans can be had. The game is, rather importantly, very forgiving, with tossing yourself into a bottomless pit only losing you a few seconds as you spawn back into the world.

The game released to critical success, even scooping "Game of the Year" in the 2021 Game Awards. Notably, it's the first really major success coming from EA's Originals program which seeks to grant developers (In this case, Hazelight) more creative control and commercial benefit from their games, which potentially bodes well for similar projects in the future out of the Publisher.

It's fared a little worse here on Something Awful however, failing to break our Top 10 games of the year, because what else would repel goons more than needing to have friends?

And so it falls upon myself and my amazing co-commentator Yorkshire Tea to take up the mantle and show off this game to you. Is it Game of the Year material? Is it just a flash in the pan? Can we get through more than ten episodes without trying to murder each other? The answers to these questions and more will hopefully be found within the LP.

About the LP

This will be a blind LP where the characters will be piloted by both myself and Yorkshire Tea at the same time!

Art and banners, will, as ever, be handled by the amazing Bifauxnen.

Episodes

Links

Our Patreon! - In case you want to support our LPs and see episodes early!

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

SirSamVimes posted:

I was so happy to hear they finally tied the knot, and now this....

Look, the important thing to remember is that even if we do break up, we love all of you shitposters in our threads and that's never going to change.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Episode 06 - Deeply Rooted

Art will be forthcoming shortly!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

anilEhilated posted:

Not sure if intentional, but the video doesn't show up in your channel on Youtube.

I really like that they came up with a unique puzzle for each of the gates here. A lesser game might do multiple, progressively harded iterations of the same thing, but they explore the abilities you get and use them to the maximum.

It was absolutely not intentional so thanks for the save.

Yeah we're going to get to a section soon where, uhh, what the christ.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

This is honest to god one of the most hosed up games I've ever played in my life.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
That is the single greatest post I've ever had on any of my LPs.

Oh my god your cuddly toys are the best and I want to give them all the hugs.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

In this episode: Tea's laptop burning itself through a table.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Also we have a poll going on the next LP on our Youtube channel! So please vote away on it!

What Should We Play Next?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

That is all she wrote for this LP friends!

We'll be moving on to Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow very shortly, which I'll link through to when I can and in the meantime I'll have a few videos out on Triangle Strategy.

As ever, thanks so much for watching along and supporting us. It means the world to both Tea and myself.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Kinu Nishimura posted:

Man, this sure was a fuckin video game.

A video game... of the year!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Explopyro posted:

I'm genuinely curious, did it feel different when playing it? Were there enough gaps between the story moments for the gameplay to shine and drive the bad writing out of your minds? From watching it in LP form it's hard for me to tell if or how often it manages to get out of its own way.

The game was really fun to play, we discussed it in the videos but most of the setpieces were enjoyable and the platforming itself felt relatively tight.

I was always aware of the story in the back of my mind but largely once Cutie had happened it was something that we commented on in the moment as just a justification for the next set piece.

I think ultimately a lot of the writing didn't really bother us because Tea and I just enjoy playing games with each other. It's hard to get upset about that stuff when you just tend to have fun together anyway.

To an extent I think that actually led to fewer particularly memey moments as we played. We're a good team as things go and I can't actually recall us ever having an argument about anything.