Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Tenebrais posted:

Oh huh, this is the same team as A Way Out? That does make sense, that was also a poorly-written game that nonetheless knew how to make co-op really fun.

Admittedly, it wasn't up to this level of nonsense.

I never played A Way Out, but it was once recommended to me by someone who was insistent that you had to be drunk for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Natural 20 posted:

This is honest to god one of the most hosed up games I've ever played in my life.

Yeah, just.... Yeah.

Out of curiosity, I still haven't actually played or watched A Way Out yet, does it get anywhere close to half as hosed up?!

I got spoiled about ending stuff, but not about the journey along the way.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Miz Kriss posted:

Yeah, I got pretty checked out after this too (elephant regicide included). It's like... there was already this whole rear end adventure, 15 episodes of it to be exact and now there's a frigging letter that's in pieces that they gotta collect and the book is spouting media-equivalent couples counselor nonsense more than usual complete with a couch. It really feels like extra padding at this point.

Yeah when he first tore up the letter I was like, classic Hakim, just rip it up to be a dick, ok why not

But then he mentioned four pieces and I just groaned knowing there's four more whole loving sidequests to do now

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

The only way I can imagine this story being redeemed rn is if Dr. Hakim was revealed to be a Stand, who has cursed these awful parents to endless sidequests with Love Experience Requiem

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Miz Kriss posted:

Or even without an over-arching plot. Hell, make it a series of vignettes with the stupid book as the narrator/driving force and have different couples in various stages of relationships and strife: best friends moving away, a couple going through divorce, siblings fighting, you name it. Then they can go even more hog wild on the settings because this dumb book is magical and has apparently sold "millions of copies."

Ooh that's a good idea. Even ignoring the characters being so awful, it does feel a bit tiring for them to keep going so long just dragged over and over from one magically extrapolated world of imagination to another.

Having some variety in the characters would make them a lot easier to live with. And having each be a short isolated scenario, like just an introductory therapy session that gets them started talking instead of acting like they're gonna solve all their problems in real time, that would frame things in a more healthy way too.

The elephant scene might actually finally be darkly funny if that was our first introduction to these two, in comparison to other characters before, and the book gets to yell at them wondering why that was the first idea they went with.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Shei-kun posted:

Can you imagine how amazing this game would be if the writing was as good as the gameplay?

Hot drat, it'd be one of the best goddamn games ever.

Episode 22: Video Rental Store

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

pointlessone posted:

Episode 23: IKEA

Whoah is that in the Jamais Vu update

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Natural 20 posted:

A video game... of the year!

"Stunned" was a good way to put it. I can't believe this was considered "GAME OF THE YEAR" by anybody. You can have games with forgivable flaws and all, sure, but the story being that awkward and poorly delivered really should've been enough to bring it down and let something else claim the title.

Even though everything after the elephant was an improvement, the ending doesn't make up for the low points at all imo. Instead of an emotional high note or anything satisfying to look like things are actually getting better, Rose is just like "okay." :geno: and it creeps me the hell out, things are still deeply wrong here, that kid needs 5 years of therapy yesterday