Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

This game has beautiful setpieces and is definitely a success in terms of game design, plot aside. I sorta feel like "game as couples' counseling" could work but this game tries to do it in way too kid-friendly and generic a manner and botches it as a result. We're fighting and killing the victims/results of the couple's shared personal dysfunction rather than the actual dysfunctions themselves, which leads to an even more warped place than just "considering divorce? just let this magic book turn you into dolls and he'll fix you right up!" does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

How bad can it get? Outside taking a page from A Way Out's ending anyway... where the two protagonists had a shootout complete with two different endings based on who lost/died

If it's bad enough to make the above idea an improvement I'll be kind of impressed.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

I'm reminded of the spider from LIMBO. Except that one tries very hard to kill you first, and by the time it stops that, it's in bad enough shape you can tell yourself that you're putting it out of its misery when you end up pulling off its last leg and rolling it onto spikes so you can jump across a gap safely.

This is torture and dismemberment of a victim pleading for their life for the purposes of making a child cry from square one. The protagonists are gleeful in their sadistic pursuit of this goal. This is more horrific than a horror game.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Bifauxnen posted:

Yeah, just.... Yeah.

Out of curiosity, I still haven't actually played or watched A Way Out yet, does it get anywhere close to half as hosed up?!

I got spoiled about ending stuff, but not about the journey along the way.

No. It's practically wholesome compared to this. The story is very weird to enable connecting incredibly varied setpieces much like this game, but the ending reveal is the darkest it gets as I remember.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Miz Kriss posted:

It's almost like they had all these ideas and just wanted to keep showcasing more and more co-oping levels in a "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" way.

It's 100% this based off of A Way Out which similarly went wild with settings to justify tons of varied co-op stuff and minigames. Kinda makes me wonder what'd happen if they weren't chained to the idea that games have to have a plot.