Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

If the wasps weren't, you know, wasps, I'd start thinking that the squirrels aren't on the up and up and maybe Cody and Rose will have to team up the wasps.
But they're wasps, so gently caress 'em on principle.

(Admittedly the squirrels are squirrels but still, they're not vespids)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Wasps down, prepper squirrels to go.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Black Robe posted:

Except maybe by then Rose will be so messed up she summons a demon.

You sure the book wasn't one already? But :agreed: on your post.

Now let's forget this was ever a thing with Soma Cruz's terrible, horrible, no good very bad day.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Explopyro posted:

I finally got around to watching this (sorry, I've been very busy) and... ugh. I don't see what all the fuss was about, honestly. I find this game utterly insufferable, and it's kind of shocking to me how effectively the awful writing torpedoes all of the genuinely good ideas (in terms of gameplay and level design) that were there. Take that, anyone who says gameplay is the only thing that matters!

Gameplay is the only thing that truly matters in a game. Unless it's like Metal Gear where you're there for the Kojima insanity, not any brilliant gameplay. Or Shadow of the Colossus, or Ico.
I think I lost my point somewhere.

Anyways, in my opinion what matters depends on where the focus is; and where the focus is presented to be. Let's take Diablo 2 vs Diablo 3.
The former had an excuse plot with like 10 minutes total of cutscenes, quest text that amounted to here there be demons go kill them, and decent to good gameplay. It was clear the story was an afterthought, so who cared about it; also the very little we had mostly made sense.
The latter had the same gameplay (until it fell apart in hell difficulty, although I hear it's been fixed since launch), and a similarly excuse plot. Except said plot was in your face, continuously, and it didn't loving shut up. It had a ratio to one good* plot beat to, uh, a LOT of completely stupid nonsensical ones. And again, it never shut up. It really ruined the overall game experience because it was clear that unlike 2, the game wanted the players to take the story seriously, to feel the pathos and the writing. So we did and guess what it sucked.

*end of act 2:
Azmodan: "you fell for my disguise and now I have you trapped"
PC: "I knew from the start it was you and now your real body is in range for a boss fight"
boss fight happens, Azmodan dies, party proceeds to act 3.

So for this game? The writing is clearly meant to be an intended part of the experience. The writers are proud of the writing.
But it sucks so much it drags everything down by a lot.

E: on the other side compared to Metal Gear is Devil May Cry (not that DmC abomination) or Bayonetta. Where the gameplay is :discourse: and the plot is "we know you're not here for this so just take a breather for a couple minutes, shut off your brain and enjoy the stupid spectacle while you recover for next chapter"

Omobono fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 28, 2022