Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Does this mean Nat and Tea are getting divorced???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

The book had better be the final boss. And get a worse death than the vacuum.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Tea, the maze tilt game you were thinking of is probably Screwball Scramble. I had it too.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

It would be possible to salvage this. Even one line from either of them saying that they realise they're making their daughter miserable but that they have to focus on getting back to their real bodies before they can do anything about it. It's fine for them to want to prioritise that, but it's not fine for them to be completely and consistently unaware that anything else matters. We're 15 episodes in and have covered multiple dungeons and bosses, and there's zero sign of their characters changing in any way.

This is where I would have stopped playing if this were me. I do not have the time or the patience for stories where the main character/s all suck and won't change. A redemption arc needs to have something worth redeeming.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

...Cody and May live together, are married, have a child, and this has been the case for quite a few years. How is Cody apparently completely unaware that May's job pays the bills? How does he not understand that she works because she has to? Did he think the money appeared from thin air and that was completely separate from her just wanting to work a lot for free?

That whole exchange would have been better coming from Rose, because small children often don't understand the whole concept of needing to work to pay for food and housing.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Carbon dioxide posted:

While I agree the way this game presents it is childish, of course something like this can actually cause friction. More on the level of "if your job requires you to be on the road so much, maybe it's better to look for something else to do?". But this game isn't very big on realism anyway.

Oh sure, it's absolutely a problem for a lot of families, but Cody seems to have been genuinely unaware that she's the breadwinner. Him resenting it would be one thing, but him not understanding it and apparently only hearing the explanation for the first time now after they've been living together for years is a whole new level of stupid.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

If this ends with the book saying 'yeah I was just trolling the pair of you, you're lovely people and deserved it' and disappearing, that might actually redeem the game.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Therapy section May and Cody are in fact still very lovely people. Since the Elephant In The Room neither of them have even mentioned their daughter and appear to have forgotten she exists, let alone that they left her crying and that she's been on her own for a pretty long time by this point.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Tenebrais posted:

I just find them interesting.

You misspelled horrifying.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Working to save and restore a garden is a great goal for a game and a good therapeutic thing for a couple to be doing. Just not at the expense of their actual daughter who they still have not remembered exists.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Tenebrais posted:

Those two have now shown significantly more concern for a houseplant than for their daughter

Kind of enjoyed the punchline that this was never a couples' problem really. It's like Joy wasn't even listening to the annoying talking book!

The plant should be the new counsellor. Telling Cody to grow up and not blame everyone else for him not doing things is good. Next step, remind him that his daughter exists and ask why the hell he's not putting in this amount of effort to help her, and copy May in on this question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I still agree with the goon who posted earlier that this game would be 100% better without Rose and all the issues attached to her.

But even without that, the central message here is garbage. May and Cody have gone back to the early dating days of their relationship, discovering new interests and spending more time together, of course they're feeling better towards each other. That doesn't magically fix any of the reasons they're getting divorced in the first place. This whole cycle is just going to repeat again in a year. Except maybe by then Rose will be so messed up she summons a demon.