Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

You mentioned Henry Hoover and I am therefore obligated to link this video of a guy who made it breathe fire.

As for the rest, um, this game looks interesting but I am not loving the concept of "the antagonist is a self-help book trying to emotionally abuse the couple into staying together". Guess we'll see where it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

"Local man responds to marital problems by nailing everything in sight. His wife has been seen getting hammered."

Serious note, the level design in this is really solid, this looks like it's a lot of fun to work through. The writing is seriously irritating me, though.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

You have weapons that make big fiery explosions and books are made of paper. I feel like there's an easy solution here.

(I'm pretty amused that explosive honey just seems to be a thing now. )

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I dispute the point that they're not learning. They're learning, it's just all the wrong lessons.

This game's really good at destroying any goodwill I had for its characters.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Yeah, one of the most disturbing aspects of this to me is that they seem to expect you'll find it funny. Who is this game for? Narcissists and abuse apologists?

The story is actively detrimental to this game. I think the worst thing about Awful Book ripping up the note is that we now have to spend even more time with all of these insufferable characters.

(Side note, while I'm thinking about it, does anyone else find Rose to look off in a kind of uncanny valley way? I'm not sure if it's that, exactly, but I think her proportions look too adult, she doesn't look nearly as young as the writing implies she is. It could just the a consequence of the shrunken-down perspective, I guess, but I keep noticing this.)

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I guess you don't have to talk about the elephant in the room if you brutally murder her instead?

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I'm just imagining kids playing this and having no idea what any of the things are. Do they know what a tape is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I finally got around to watching this (sorry, I've been very busy) and... ugh. I don't see what all the fuss was about, honestly. I find this game utterly insufferable, and it's kind of shocking to me how effectively the awful writing torpedoes all of the genuinely good ideas (in terms of gameplay and level design) that were there. Take that, anyone who says gameplay is the only thing that matters!

I'm genuinely curious, did it feel different when playing it? Were there enough gaps between the story moments for the gameplay to shine and drive the bad writing out of your minds? From watching it in LP form it's hard for me to tell if or how often it manages to get out of its own way.

I agree with all of the suggestions that cutting out Rose would solve quite a lot of the issues, if this was just a "couple reconnects after relationship has started growing stale and learns to resolve the petty day-to-day conflicts" it would have worked a lot better and the tone of Awful Book's advice would probably have worked better. (Bonding through their dislike of the lovely advice and condescension also works as a way for them to reconnect, a common enemy can absolutely build solidarity.)

All that said, put me down as another baffled that this won Game of the Year ("Oscar bait game writing" felt pretty apt, that was a great turn of phrase). Maybe it rode the height of the asymmetrical multiplayer trend? (It does seem like a genuinely good example of design as far as that goes.)