Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I looked through a wiki and the only thing I watched was the gunn suicide squad because his stuff was the only marvel stuff I liked as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Henchman of Santa posted:

I don't think I've seen a single DCU movie outside of the one this show originated from.
I’ve seen that and most of Man of Steel

I didn’t bother with anything else

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The first Shazam was fun.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Shageletic posted:

The first Shazam was fun.

It's the only DCEU movie I like all the way through. The first Wonder Woman is better for the first 2/3rds and then falls apart. Gunn's Suicide Squad has a ton of great scenes but it never really gels into a whole for me and the bickering is a lot less like siblings who love each other (like Guardians of the Galaxy) and more like spouses who are two months away from divorce.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I personally really enjoyed Birds Of Prey. A lot of people didn't because it's a pretty chaotic movie, but if you're gonna make a Harley Quinn movie that's how it's gonna be.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Yeah I liked Birds of Prey and would love to see another movie with all of them. I'm sure it would be a lot of fun (again)

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I've been wanting to watch that one, good to hear it's approved

The doja cat song for it is p fun

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Yeah, Birds of Prey was good, I really enjoyed that one.

The only ones I outright hated were the first Suicide Squad and WW84. Oh, and Joss Whedon Justice League. Shazam 2 was pretty bad, too. There's at least something to enjoy in the rest of them. Though I didn't see Blue Beetle (no idea which universe that counts as) or Aquaman 2.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I remember watching Batman vs Superman in twenty minute chunks over a week because that’s all I could take in one day.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

dr_rat posted:

No one notices Clark kent is just a gorilla when he has his glasses on.

Thread title

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Birds of Prey is really good, but I keep forgetting its a DCEU movie, which is actually a good thing. Same way that its tough to remember Shazaam is one too.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

thrawn527 posted:

The only ones I outright hated were the first Suicide Squad and WW84.

The first Suicide Squad works great as a series of totally disconnected set pieces, just absolutely not as a single movie.

You can find all the scenes from the movie on youtube and I was really surprised by how fun they were. But, start putting them together and it's just bad.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

grittyreboot posted:

I personally really enjoyed Birds Of Prey. A lot of people didn't because it's a pretty chaotic movie, but if you're gonna make a Harley Quinn movie that's how it's gonna be.

I liked BoP too, it's got Awesome Drunk Aunt vibes in a similar vein to Elvira: Mistress of the Dark.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I unironically like the four hour cut of Justice League. Man of Steel, and the first Wonder Woman was good. Aquaman was fun, but had a lot of issues.

thrawn527 posted:

The only ones I outright hated were the first Suicide Squad and WW84. Oh, and Joss Whedon Justice League. Shazam 2 was pretty bad, too. There's at least something to enjoy in the rest of them. Though I didn't see Blue Beetle (no idea which universe that counts as) or Aquaman 2.

WW84 is the absolute worse of the DC movies, and quite possibly the worse comic book movie i've ever seen. Even the first Suicide Squad movie I can find something redeeming about it, but WW84 is just pure trash from top to bottom.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Birds of Prey was definitely a lot of fun, and I laughed so much when I realized the big final fight was a modern film version of an Adam West Batman wild brawl with henchmen :allears:

Edit: WW84 was appallingly bad just by itself, and even worse given it was a follow-up to the mostly good/okay first film.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I liked that Harley in BoP actually uses her training as a psychologist, which I hadn't seen her do in previous incarnations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Gunn's stuff is great, and I liked Shazam as well. Sounds like I need to check out BoP.

I said come in! posted:

WW84 is the absolute worse of the DC movies, and quite possibly the worse comic book movie i've ever seen. Even the first Suicide Squad movie I can find something redeeming about it, but WW84 is just pure trash from top to bottom.

The opening scene with young Diana at the Amazon games and the big final fight with the cat lady compliment each other beautifully, thematically tying the movie together while subtly displaying its core thesis to the audience...

Cheetahs never win :v:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I just looked up the synopsis for Wonder Woman 84 and it’s all about wishes?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Yeah, we all WISH they'd made a better movie!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

And she rapes a guy.

e - or some messed up stuff with mind control/taking over someone else's body. From an other thread:

her love interest from the first movie is brought back by a wish, but rather than be resurrected his consciousness is put into another man's body. This is glossed over pretty quick and no one really ever asks what happened to that guy or considers the implications of someone else inhabiting his body. At one point wonder woman has sex with this man, and it could be construed as rape since the original owner of the body never consents to sex.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Mar 14, 2024

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Well, I’m glad I don’t plan on seeing it.

Also, why Kristen Wiig? She completely disappeared after SNL and the trailer for this was the first time I had heard her name since.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The first Suicide Squad works great as a series of totally disconnected set pieces, just absolutely not as a single movie.

You can find all the scenes from the movie on youtube and I was really surprised by how fun they were. But, start putting them together and it's just bad.

i still love how that movie just doesnt understand needle drops and making a song work in a movie. like it just doesnt. Gunn actually does know how to do it and honestly might be one of my favorite directors because of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLk1mCFLRS0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhc3CinJHYY&

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That first Suicide Squad movie I still can't get over that it opens with a long-winded section of Amanda Waller explaining to a guy what the idea behind the "team" is, why she wants to put it together, what kind of missions they'll do etc as she prepares for a meeting with the Government to pitch it. This is then IMMEDIATELY followed by a long-winded section where she goes to the Government and explains what the idea behind the "team" is, why she wants to put it together, what kind of missions they'll do etc.

But I guess that's what happens when you give final cut of the film to a company that makes trailers :shepface:

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Jerusalem posted:

That first Suicide Squad movie I still can't get over that it opens with a long-winded section of Amanda Waller explaining to a guy what the idea behind the "team" is, why she wants to put it together, what kind of missions they'll do etc as she prepares for a meeting with the Government to pitch it. This is then IMMEDIATELY followed by a long-winded section where she goes to the Government and explains what the idea behind the "team" is, why she wants to put it together, what kind of missions they'll do etc.

But I guess that's what happens when you give final cut of the film to a company that makes trailers :shepface:

Is that the scene where she says they need a team that could stop Superman but the members are guy with guns, guy with boomerangs, lady with a gun and baseball bat, etc?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Well, I’m glad I don’t plan on seeing it.

Also, why Kristen Wiig? She completely disappeared after SNL and the trailer for this was the first time I had heard her name since.

Wiig's been working fairly consistently, starring in a few good comedies she wrote herself (and, uh, Ghostbusters) and doing dramatic roles.

On paper she's inspired casting for the part -- physical actress, campy, would absolutely kill a villain performance -- but the film doesn't manage to exploit that capacity to the best of its ability.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Mar 14, 2024

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
As good as Pedro Pascal was in that movie he at least had some room to do his thing. The biggest issue is how donyou cast Kristen Wiig and go out of your way to make her not funny. She had like one scene where she kind of fangirled over Diana and acted awkward, and the rest of the time it was like the kept telling her "do less". This movie should have been like a 90s Batman with the villains going full ham.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I had completely forgotten she was in the 2016 Ghostbusters.

Jerusalem posted:

It's been a while since I've seen it, but I remember the characters getting something like three separate introduction scenes.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

WW84 also automatically assumes all wishes are intrinsically selfish, which is very weird. "I wish my dad didn't have cancer." You fiend, you monster.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

moist turtleneck posted:

I've been wanting to watch that one, good to hear it's approved

The doja cat song for it is p fun

Keep your expectations low the plot itself is nonexistent but there are some good characters in it. The Huntress basically steals the movie.

A C+ movie

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Dawgstar posted:

WW84 also automatically assumes all wishes are intrinsically selfish, which is very weird. "I wish my dad didn't have cancer." You fiend, you monster.

"Please, I need everyone to give your wishes back."
"...sorry Dad."

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Sorry kid with rear end cancer. Isn't the truth beautiful enough for you?

Man that movie that such hot garbage.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Tristesse posted:

Sorry kid with rear end cancer. Isn't the truth beautiful enough for you?

Man that movie that such hot garbage.

Reminds me of this bit about the cure for Mutants in the X-Men movies:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Why did the wishing work in the first place? Did they find a well?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Why did the wishing work in the first place? Did they find a well?

Magic wishing stone. Bad guy wished to become the stone. I am not joking.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Instead of wishing for more wishes?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Grendels Dad posted:

Reminds me of this bit about the cure for Mutants in the X-Men movies:

Is this from Last Stand? IIRC Rogue's, understandably, unconvinced by Storm's rhetoric. Feel like maybe that scene is taken out of context.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

Is this from Last Stand? IIRC Rogue's, understandably, unconvinced by Storm's rhetoric. Feel like maybe that scene is taken out of context.

The movie still makes it seem like she is in the minority and kind of an outsider for making that choice. At that point Cyclops, another guy who has a bit of a downside to his powers, was conveniently absent/dead and the only other guy they explore this problem with is loving Angel.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

thrawn527 posted:

Magic wishing stone. Bad guy wished to become the stone. I am not joking.

Is it even explained why he wanted to be the vector for wish granting? It's such an odd choice, as opposed to other choices in WW84 which are just bad.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Ah, the MummyCandian Paradox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
I saw that movie.