Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Streaming on HBO Max starting January 13th and every Thursday for 8 episodes, this is a spin off the pseudo reboot/sequel The Suicide Squad, usefully summarized in the first minutes of the first episode.

If you love bone crunching hyper violence, or lines and delivery that are both obscene and hilarious, this show is for you. The first three episodes are out, and its already displaying a level of cinematography and quality almost unseen for superhero TV shows so far.

But most of all, stay around for a revelatory performance from supposed meathead John Cena, who is easily turning the funniest performance so far this year.

Excited to see where this goes!

Takes No Damage posted:

OP not full of gifs of the dance intro, 2/10.

lol here you go

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

There's only been one release. I've already talked to someone in the wild about the show. Give it time.

I just hope this isn't a limited series. I know Gunn is ungodly busy but this really feels like its his perfect playground, a dash of Troma, the hosed up side effects of Superhero-y, and comedy that can be built on characters given enough time to breathe and develop

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Spacebump posted:

The Suicide Squad didn't do well and I feel like I've seen 0 ads for this show.

Shageletic posted:

There's only been one release. I've already talked to someone in the wild about the show. Give it time.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Chris Conrad kinda played the Vigilante role on Patriot minus the psychopathy, a guy really psyched to be part of a team. I can see him as Vigilante, but nah this feels like a better iteration of that idea.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Heffer posted:

I'm thinking Murn takes over Eagly and we get a talking sidekick next season

No, anything but that

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Man, the police station scene at the end set to Reckless Love's 'Monster' was so good. The cinemaphile might nod knowing, pushing up their glasses and murmur how Gunn was drawing on his experience from Slither.

It's a level of cinematography that has not been matched by any 9ther comic book show

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rhyno posted:

At one point in Superman's history he was born on Earth. He gestated in an artificial womb that didn't open until his landed in Kansas. This lead to a then-alternate future where Superman ran for and became President.

There's only one thing in the world Superman can't break, the filibuster

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Starting to think this pro butterfly poster might be some kinda winged parasitic alien...

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jabronie posted:

I don't remember when the thread title happened. Is the rune tablet Peacemaker found up someone's butt?

nah the mods are using people's posts as titles instead of actual quotes, shaking my drat head

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

They made a point of showing its single tooth and chubby face. It definitely seemed babyish - for an alien kaiju.

swickles posted:

Has anyone theorized that the cow is merely a giant catepillar waiting to turn into a giant butterfly, meaning Peacemaker is going to have to fight an actual Mothra in the last episode?

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 12, 2022

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

And I'm begging the mods, please change the nonsensical title of this thread. It doesn't even fit!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Smythe posted:

lmfao at these names

uh....doctor....holocaust...?

gently caress it good enough let's get lunch

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Marsupial Ape posted:

If Auggie had only a single item of super science, like a zap sceptre or glun gun, I would just hand wave it for comic book rules. A villain needs a gimmick and there's a tradition in comics of C-List villains of having ingenuity to invent a single tool/weapon to support that gimmick. Captain Boomerang type poo poo.

Except, Auggie is a legitimate super scientist. A technobabble wizard, as I like to call them. He can construct a pocket dimension to keep his superscience workshop in. The super suit, the various gimmick Peacemaker helmets...something had to have happened to Auggie inbetween the kiddie boxing match and the show to give him that ability. I hope it is an element of Season 2.

How many right wing chuds live out in compounds and masturbate about their arsenal of killing things and poo poo? How many of them know how to repair it, and are good in a mechanical, highly technical level with fixing and improving poo poo?

Horrible people can be smart too i guess

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Huntress TV show when?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Huntress TV show when?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Narcissus1916 posted:

Chekhov's Helmets?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Takes No Damage posted:

^^^ drat Nazi, couldn't even do his speech bubble right :mad:

Probably because her moves are fly on a level rivaling Harcourt's. They both obviously have some background in dance. And I really want to know if her double 🖕 in the intro is an adlib.

e: Rewatching the bit I just screenshot, looks like everybody is throwing up the double birds :(

Still think whoever was in the Vig suit was the best dancer. Stunt person, of course.

But my fav dance is the three cops. Man, they had a poo poo fate. It told a story, stern, then surprisingly sincere and emotional

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

jabby posted:

And Peacemaker's line at the end about why he rejected their vision ("Because they would have hurt you guys") is him expressly going back on his oath to sacrifice whoever he had to for peace. The only reason he thought that way before was because the only person he cared for was already dead.

I loved that was the redemption point for his character. Just learning to love his skwad. It's so simple, but absolitely fits for what is essentially a simple, absolutely hosed up man.

Inwardly groaning at a dozen comic book film writer teams mangling that into Peacemaker making a speech about human freedom and poo poo in the climax

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

TIL, sometimes you gotta kill some kids

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

That is exactly what the dialogue was.

yeah tell yourself that

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Can an image be a thread title

https://mobile.twitter.com/raxytto/status/1494834715332911104

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I dug the wife thing because Adebayo's whole arc was rejecting her mother and sticking with her new family she chose herself.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Gunn reminds me (especially The Suicide Squad) of the big screen action supercomics you saw in the turn of the century, Ellis, Millar, etc. Swearing heroes acutely aware of the ridiculousness of the situation and dealing with it in an over the top way, yet still with recognizable perspectives and emotions.

But comics and movies are such different mediums they aren't ever going to translate 1-to-1

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

There's an entire Snyder sub forum

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Deadpool is fine. How about this

Have Gunn direct The Aquarian!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Everyone posted:

It's mostly that I don't care enough about it to really research it. This is pretty much true of any celebrity. I consume/watch their content, but I don't follow them on social media or really look up their histories or things like that. Basically I care about them to the extent that they're doing their "jobs" of providing me entertainment content. Beyond that, I figure their lives are their own. I don't want to get into their lives/histories because I wouldn't want anyone prying into mine.

then why is your first instinct to defend him lol this is a patriarchy trap post

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hey guys I don't anything about this Bret Ratner fellow but I'd love another Rush Hour, so

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Everyone posted:

Because I like his work and want more of it. I'm pretty much thinking like a "gently caress it, I don't care if they're made by enslaved children, I want these Kathie Lee Gifford clothes" consumer. But yeah, I'll give the issue a real look. I'm just hoping Ellis doesn't turn out to be Kevin Spacey levels of awful because I used to love that guy's acting and kind of hate that I can't watch his amazing season of Wiseguy without qualms anymore.

Somehow I kind of bounced off the first episode, but I'll give it another shot.

Well at least you're honest. Feels like a lot of women felt wrong by Warren using his notoriety and admin privileges as a web host guy to convince a lot of young people that he loved them and to gently caress him in a hotel. Real groomer poo poo. Dude must had a excel sheet there is such a large count.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Everyone posted:

There were something like 60 people involved at the least. I remember the old WEF (Warren Ellis Forum) when it was on Delphi Forums. He'd always pick young, smart, pretty and talented women to be his "filthy assistants" AKA moderators. Now I wonder how many of those were part of that 60+.

Yeah, I don't want to make this the gross sexual poo poo thread. Let's leave it at Ellis being bad, and talk more about Peace...making

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Peacemaker is sort of sui generis in its combination of comedy, action, and superheroics. Can't really think of a show that pulls off obscene and hilarious two minute rants with jaw dropping stunts and disgusting splatter, plus comics.

Best I can think of and can recommend are shows that aren't about superheroes. Barry, Archer, Future Man (until the last season)....anyone see Macgruber the TV show?

One random out of the box suggestion: first season of One Punch Man.

Oooh, the Boys! Though because its a little more scattered towards its plotting, its a definite second to Peacemaker.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

I can't believe that Discovery's leadership is even dumber than Warner's but here we are

It's like what Frank Zappa used to say about the music biz. It was great when it was run by people who had no artistic inspirations (AT&T) but got ruined when execs think they have a better grasp on art than artists.

Cue the Shark Week Multiverse

E: lol didn't even see the post above me

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah Medusa just looks like a techno goth. The only thing petrified there would be her music taste

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Maybe they're thinking of the DC imprint Vertigo that did let interesting creative take a shot at established DC characters in continuity or non continuity. It was a nice couple of decades run

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The first Shazam was fun.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

moist turtleneck posted:

I've been wanting to watch that one, good to hear it's approved

The doja cat song for it is p fun

Keep your expectations low the plot itself is nonexistent but there are some good characters in it. The Huntress basically steals the movie.

A C+ movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Scorsese, it goes without saying. It was fun to see him purposefully gently caress with timing, making awkward as hel cuts on The Departed. The undisputed master.