Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

theflyingexecutive posted:

Isn't the whole point of the reboot that there won't be pressure to shove a bunch of tonally different franchises together?

Nobody is quite sure what the point of the reboot is. I guess Gunn has said something about it somewhere, but he's going to say a lot of things while this ship sails into iceberg after iceberg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Mulva posted:

... sends him him like 10,000 light years from Earth. 10,000 years later he's flown back...

Is... is that how that works?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

swickles posted:

Shazam was fun! It was a huge departure from the Snyder stuff that actually had some colors and charm to it.

I guess Shazam himself was bright red,but apart from him the movie had all the vivid colors that Philadelphia is famous for, like "gray" and "snow".

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

John Cena will be so old when they start filming season 2, he will have to steal Batista's tiny glasses so he can even read the script. Big Dave will then upgrade to Big Glasses so he can see where John Cena is and kick his rear end in a Tiny Glasses On A Pole match.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Hobo Clown posted:

I'm sure there will be a silly comic book explanation but isn't Peacemaker solidly in the original DCU?

Nothing really ties him to it. It's not like he couldn't mean whoever is the new Superman when he talks about their scat fetish.

I guess there are the cameos at the end of the first season but... *makes fart noise*

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

The real reason they haven't fired Ezra Miller is because their Flash movie is the reset button.

They have no loving clue what they are resetting to, so big whoop for that.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Ah, but does it take place in the MoS DCU, the The Flash DCU, the Shazam 2 DCU, the Blue Beetle DCU or the as yet hypothetical new DCU?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

moist turtleneck posted:

Multiverse where each episode is played by a different peacemaker

But all of them are played by John Cena.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Superman is THE superhero to build your cinematic universe around.

Never mind Batman standing over there, looking dejected with the half-dozen recent-ish blockbuster hits under his belt. And please don't look at the last cinematic universe we built around Superman, we didn't mean to do it like that!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Peacemaker blows up a health spa they are all in, obscured by steam.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Additionally to not being the first with a cinematic universe, DC also always had the Donner Superman and Burton/Nolan Batmens hanging over their head. They had successful capeshit movies when Marvel was laughed at on TV and they pathetically caved under the pressure of expectation that brought with it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Professor Beetus posted:

At this point the whole DC universe stuff is so weird and complicated that they should just stop giving a poo poo. Maybe it's already what they're doing, but nothing needs to be "canon". Just have Michael Keaton show up if that Batman serves your story. Or R Pats. Or Christian Bale. If the story is good and the movie is fun, people are going to want to watch it. I would bet dollars to donuts that the people who get weirdly obsessed with canon are a small and extremely vocal minority who really shouldn't be catered to in anyway. If you make a good Batman movie, most people are going to be like "wow, that was a pretty good Batman movie."

I guess Batman was the example of them doing that, but pretend I was taking about Superman or Wonder Woman or w/e

Or even Batman-adjacent stuff. People were scratching their heads why anyone would want to make a Joker movie, but the hook of Taxi Driver/King of Comedy rip-off got people interested and the movie embarrassed WB because they signed away most of the BO because they didn't think it would make much.

I guess the real problem is that WB can't ever not be run by morons.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah i think the implication is gonna be "the lovely suicide squad movie happened to some degree, a batman and superman exist as do others, also superman movie has a loose ties with the peacmaker show because its fallout from task force x getting shutdown and replaced with the authority or etc". i dont think Gunn is gonna do the "this movie/show leads to this" its gonna be more like how guardians of the galaxy movies tied in with marvel, they show up sometimes in other stuff and also their are some threads from other media in them like thanos showing up in 1".

Gunn has already made a Thing about announcing that the new slate of DC movies will be totally unrelated to anything. It was kinda sad watching him stumble over his own feet to assure everybody that this new stuff that would come out in a few years has absolutely nothing to do with the dreck that comes out... right now, welcome to the premiere of Blue Beetle/Shazam 2/Aquaman 2!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah, the more they ignore that poo poo, the better. Just do your own weird thing.

I hope they start ignoring it some day instead of reiterating how totally not connected they are. Like, if that is the only thing news outlets could put in a headline about the next season of Peacemaker, the marketing has hosed up.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, this is the main reason I posted the tweet. I don't care if it's not connected to the movies, but if one season isn't and one season is, I have questions.

I'm guessing it's more of a "don't think about it too hard, it's a silly show that won't think about it too hard either" situation. Peacemaker will have a line like, "And now Superman looks all young and different, but we're not supposed to talk about that..." and everyone else will just look at him confused. Like Deadpool talking about the different Professor X's.

The thing I don't like about this idea is that it's a Gunn character poking fun at Gunn things. I know he's probably just a glorified spokesperson, but all this confusion about canons and connections is because Gunn keeps talking about it. I'd have more of a chuckle if Peacemaker is all pissed off at some church guys because some people just can't shut the gently caress up about canon.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

grittyreboot posted:

Kinda surprised that after the success of the Deadpool movies DC never tried to make a Lobo film

They did and do, the project just always dies when they realize they can't cast Hugh Jackmann.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

grittyreboot posted:

I personally really enjoyed Birds Of Prey. A lot of people didn't because it's a pretty chaotic movie, but if you're gonna make a Harley Quinn movie that's how it's gonna be.

I liked BoP too, it's got Awesome Drunk Aunt vibes in a similar vein to Elvira: Mistress of the Dark.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Tristesse posted:

Sorry kid with rear end cancer. Isn't the truth beautiful enough for you?

Man that movie that such hot garbage.

Reminds me of this bit about the cure for Mutants in the X-Men movies:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

Is this from Last Stand? IIRC Rogue's, understandably, unconvinced by Storm's rhetoric. Feel like maybe that scene is taken out of context.

The movie still makes it seem like she is in the minority and kind of an outsider for making that choice. At that point Cyclops, another guy who has a bit of a downside to his powers, was conveniently absent/dead and the only other guy they explore this problem with is loving Angel.